Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen referred to Pride and Prejudice (1813), the earliest-written of her published novels, as her "darling Child" – and generations of readers have taken it to their heart ever since. The irresistible attraction she portrays, between the sparkily independent Elizabeth Bennet and the solemnly austere Mr. Darcy, counts among the greatest, most romantic – and funniest ...more
Published March 17th 2015 by SelfMadeHero (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride and Prejudice

Start your review of Pride and Prejudice
Jenbebookish
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
Read 10/11/2019-10/13/2019

A very VERY enjoyable adaptation. Mr. Darcy was dreamy as a cartoon!! Well, he is just dreamy in general! I am a die hard Darcy lover, always have been always will be! He was my first literary love. I will always have a special place in my heart for Jane Austen and Mr. Darcy. Back in the day when I was still mowing through Babysitter’s club and Sweet Valley High books by the dozen, a (very!) good friend who shared my love of reading asked me if I’d ever read Pride and
Amy
While I appreciate the enormity of undertaking turning Pride and Prejudice into a graphic novel, there were a few things that could have made it a much better rendition.
Firstly, Mary was nearly absent in the entirety of the story. I understand she's not the MC, but her character does add humor and insight into the whole relationship and interaction of the Bennet family.
Second, all of the men bear a striking resemblance to Charlton Heston. Tall, broad shouldered, brooding, with angular faces and
Victoria
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good intro to P&P for I'd say a teen who is going to have to read it for school. It's very easy to read, and the pictures don't heavily favour either major on-screen retelling (1995 BBC or 2005 feature film). Besides my issue with the mislabelling of Mary as the 4th sister, there was also an error in the drawings when Elizabeth visits Pemberley. When she sees the portrait of Mr. Darcy in the pictures, it's drawn as if it's an actual photograph in a standing frame on a table. I ...more
Sha
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before you truly dive into my review, expecting all the true FACTS about this graphic novel adaptation of Jane Austen's truest love, please be aware that I have not read the original or in fact any of Austen works in their original form.

"WHY??" you demand.

"idk" I shrug. Yes, I shrug an idk because there was no true cut-out reason other than classics don't fuel my passions and usually the font is really tiny (I don't like tiny font).

*I know there are large-print classics. Let's just shuffle
Rebekah
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, comics, p-p
Not a word for word retelling, but everything is there. The art is a bit on the angular side for my tastes, but overall a really enjoyable read!
Michelle Joos
Jane Austin revolves her 19th century piece around the relationship between protagonist Elizabeth Bennet and the rude Mr.Darcy. This romantic novel toys with many first loves and the life of young women during the early 1800's in England, where money, pride, prejudice and responsibility mandate life decisions and relationships. Jane Austin creates an enticing female lead that speaks her mind and follows her heart, taking her on a path of love and hardships. The comedic writing of the author ...more
Tandie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the artist’s style; he certainly portrayed Darcy as taciturn. I wish he had included Jane’s fine grey eyes, but she was still well done.

As expected with a graphic novel, many parts of the story were omitted or abbreviated. This is definitely for the reader already familiar with Pride and Prejudice. Fun for P&P fans.
Leah Cossette
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just really love reading the classics as graphic novels. Cut out the slow scenes and all the walking around, add some great art and make the whole thing run on dialogue and longing looks. I love it.

While a bit bland, this version of P&P is infinitely preferable to Nancy Butler's graphic novel of the same. Edington sticks very close to the source material, and Robert Deas' art is charming and not at all distracting. I may look into reading more of this series of graphic novels.
Cheryl (Collier)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I was not aware of graphic novels until some from this group were reviewing them . Since I had read Pride and Prejudice I thought I would start with it. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the book was portrayed by these author's and illustrators. I can give it only a three since the illustrations were too much alike throughout the book. I have another by Igortwhich I'm really anxious to read and see. I may yet grow to like graphic novels.
Carol Andrade | sky in winter
I love love love Pride and Prejudice and though I liked most of the graphic style of this GN, I didn't enjoyed the text itself. There were some parts of the dialogue that the language was modern whereas others wasn't. I didn't get why.. It could be the Portuguese translation but definitely it felt bit odd.
Jenna
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun graphic novel retelling of one of my favorite stories (bestie Patricia said "I'll read all things Austen", a sentiment I share). Not my favorite art style (little too angular for me) but the illustrator captured the humor and pain so well (some damn fine Lizzy side-eye going on). A nice break from heavier series; would recommend.
ColleenIsBooked
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art style was really cute and I loved it! I was kind of sad that some parts were skipped over. There were also some time jumps that were kind of jolting and confusing if you aren’t familiar enough with Pride and Prejudice.
Jazmin
One of my favorite stories and it’s so fun to see in this format! Knowing the story and characters as well as I do, reading this brings me back and allowed me to enjoy the story without the time of reading the book! Love love love
Tihare Salazar
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Love the story, and the drawings were okay...I just didn't really like how Elizabeth's face was too square for my liking. Just cause she was a strong character for her gender, it doesn't mean she had to have a male looking face.
Kelsey
Obviously I have no issue with the story — Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel, after all. But I wasn’t a fan of how it was adapted graphically. That’s, of course, subjective, so I still think anyone who is a fan of P&P and graphic novels should give this a go.
laura (bookies & cookies)
Carrie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edginton uses the source material well and Deas manages to capture the humor, though as is inevitable with a graphic novel interpretation, some characters/plotlines don't get enough time on the page. Overall, a great introduction to the novel that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Alice
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
All the good parts plus pictures. Sure. Why not?
Lisa
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations....especially of Mrs. Bennet!
Marie
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books and the artwork is great!
Kate
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading Pride and Prejudice in a quicker form was different! I liked the artwork but it was not my favourite.
Ashley
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I do enjoy the story but the language trips me up. I enjoyed the illustrations as well- they contributed to my understanding of the story.
Dreaming Darcy
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars, just because... it's Pride and Prejudice. Anything with Mr. Darcy is pretty much awesome. So... I kinda can't give this a lower rating... just can't.
Abigail
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good adaptation, and I really like the art. Thumbs-up from someone who gets picky about this story.
Chelsey Quack
Oooh, I'm sad that I didn't like this more. Right up until Mr. Darcy's first proposal, I was totally on board, really enjoying it, and fully prepared to write a great review. Aaaaand then the rest of the book happened.

The first thing that I will comment on is my mixed feelings about the artwork. On one hand, I thought it was aesthetically pleasing enough. I liked looking at the pictures. But very quickly, I became frustrated because I didn't see a lot of variance or anything really dynamic
Geoffery Crescent
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Adapting a novel as dense as Pride and Prejudice into graphic form was never going to be easy, but Edginton and Deas give it a good go. The art is, for the most part, cheerful and fluid although at times Lizzy's blue dress blended into the background and in one panel a green stripe on her skirt against some grass make it look like she's wearing trousers. The hyper-realistic landscapes and 3D buildings only occasionally work and more often than not look out of place amongst the more cartoony art. ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian