Start by marking “Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch” as Want to Read:
Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch

Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  504 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Expanding on her now-classic Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch (over 120,000 copies sold), Elizabeth Hilts adds more edgy wisdom to the book that has helped thousands of women get in touch with that integral, powerful part of themselves that is going unrecognized. After all, your Inner Bitch is the little black dress of attitudes-perfect for every occasion-and your ow ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks Hysteria (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch

Manny
Getting in Touch With Your Inner Bitch deserves to be better known. The persuasive thesis is that nearly all women suffer from the syndrome she calls Toxic Niceness. People, often but by no means always men, ask them to do things, and... well... why not? It's nicer to agree, isn't it?

Sisters! (I know, I'm not actually female, but when I read this I feel for a moment that I am). Buy Elizabeth Hilts's excellent book, and learn how to escape from this trap! It's easier than you think. Just repeat a
Joana
Aug 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Todos nós merecemos uma leitura de descanso de vez em quando e, esta foi a minha. O livro surgiu-me por piada e desafio no trabalho. Como livreira que sou deparo-me com variados tipos de clientes e de livros e um colega meu disse-me "este livro deve ser bom para ti" (talvez pelo título, talvez porque sou simpática - sabia lá ele o que dizia!)
A verdade é que Elizabeth Hilts consegui escrever um livro sobre mulheres sem cair em generalizações insultuosas. Um livro que é caracterizado e rotulado c
Elizabeth Ortiz
Este libro no me pareció muy bueno a pesar de ser uno de los más comerciales. Creo que todo lo que dice en el libro, de una manera consciente o inconsciente, las mujeres lo sabemos.
Una cabrona es, en el libro, simplemente una mujer segura.
Huma Rashid
This entire book can be boiled down to "be firm." Also the phrase, "I don't think so." It's a good, quick girl-power read for when you need a boost of firmness and self-confidence and all that, but it's light and fluffy and lacks depth, and the cartoons and formatting is kind of annoying.
Monica
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lectura muy ligera de autoayuda, aprendamos a decir YO CREO QUE NO!!, jajaja ideal para sonreir y pasar un buen rato.... se que hay mas libros de "cabronas", a lo mejor me los compro :o)
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Anybody that knows me knows that I am way too nice. I saw this book and knew I needed to read it! Anything that I can read to help me become a better person is what I am interested in right now! If you are a person who is too nice and try to be as agreeable and nice as you can all the time, you need to read this book!

“Eventually, I manifested all the Niceness I could, bending over backwards to be agreeable, helpful, thoughtful, adoring, and adorable–in other words, a complete dormat.” (loc. 128)
Fernanda
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 100-page article on how to be more assertive. You learn how useful it is to say "I don't think so" or NO.
Mariazita
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro fala-nos de de uma maneira bem divertida, como por vezes nos tornamos verdadeiros capachos dos outros, fazendo com que por vezes sejamos demasiados submissas ao que os outros querem que nós sejamos.
Um livro de auto ajuda, onde a escritora nos fala da tendência que nós temos desde crianças a agradarmos aos outros e por vezes anularmos as nossas vontades.
De uma maneira simples a autora faz-nos pensar como devemos modificar esses sentimentos de extrema simpatia, de maneira a não desrespe
Kirsten (lush.lit.life)
Received for my birthday and not necessarily one i would pick up for myself - ha ha ha. My kids were all full of righteous indignation re: the title. My friend said now that I'm "old" I can indulge my crankier side in public, and this book would help me. She was teasing but the book talks about "toxic niceness" and basically how to reinforce your boundaries (but not in a mean way) and embrace your power (not in a mean way either). It's not exactly science or literature - just a light-hearted gif ...more
Angela
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a book, its a booklet. Its based on an article the author wrote for a magazine about toxic niceness and not being able to say No to people. Someone obviously read the article and thought they could get a book out of it, they couldn't. The booklet's message can be summed up in one sentence. If you have difficulty saying no, trying saying I don't think so, instead. Oh so simple!
Sherrie
Dec 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did I like this book? I don’t think so.
Gabi Coatsworth
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-lessons, humor
Witty and wise, this is the perfect gift for a friend whose feeling downtrodden, put-upon, or just plain overwhelmed. Say 'yes' to this book, and 'I don't think so' to things you don't want to do. It sounds simple and it is. Though Ms Hilts doesn't promise it will be easy. Just rewarding.
Eva
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque el libro es un poco soso, tiene cosas que se pueden rescatar.
Dania Montana
Dec 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una burla.. Lo bueno es que se lee en unos minutos.
Candice
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disorganized and uninspiring. In the words of the author, “I don’t think so”.
Sarah Zabel
Jul 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this would more appropriately be called a pamphlet. I read the entire thing in less than an hour because they printed it in a giant font and each chapter is less than 3 pages long. That has nothing to do with why I didn't like the book, though...

Mostly, she didn't offer me any new information. I think I already do pretty well at asserting myself when I need to. I didn't feel like she gives any solid advice in the areas that I could use help with. Seems like she mostly talks a lot about w
Jose Luis (Liantener)
Bien intencionado, pero incompleto y comercial, se trata de otro libro más de autoayuda que no llega a ningún lado.

La autora nos cuenta cómo llegó a descubrir lo que ella llama "Su Cabrona Interior", y las características que una Cabrona debe tener para no ser pisoteada y ser feliz.

Aunque las ideas no son del todo malas, sí son bastante incompletas. La autora nunca explica cómo es que una mujer común y corriente puede llegar a tener las actitudes adecuadas. Les dice cuáles deben de ser y porqué
Julliana Almeida
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não querendo aceitar, mas é a verdade. A toximpatia existe pois sou prova viva disso. Por muito que custe admitir, mas é verdade. Pensar que podemos ser amigos de todos e agradar a todos para que também gostem de ti,é uma ideia agradável aos ouvidos mas totalmente impossível a nível social e real. Acabando muitas vezes em situações a quais não me agradam ou fazendo algo que não quero para satisfação de outros.
É realmente satisfatório quando aprendes a valorizar-te e fazer o que realmente queres,
Jime
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No está tan mal, es entretenido pero creo que subestima un poco a las mujeres de hoy. De una forma u otra, sabemos que lo que dice es cierto.
La Cabrona interior es la chica segura y decidida que no se deja pisotear que tenemos dentro y hay que mostrarla más seguido (para las que no lo hacen), entiendo.
Mayormente habla de como controlar a tu cabrona interior. Me pareció muy repetitivo porque mostraba como hacer lo mismo en situaciones supuestamente distintas.
Le doy puntos por el 'AMATE A TI MIS
Mel
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was helpful for those times when I tend to say the wrong thing. However, there's so much more the author could have expounded on. I realize the book evolved from an article in a magazine, but there are so many more examples and possible exercises the reader could benefit from.

Being the type of person whose inner bitch needs a muzzle sometimes, I did benefit from learning how to say things more politely or without so much explanation, as I'm also prone to do at times.
Barbara Ab
pessima scelta editoriale per traduzione e copertina.
In sintesi è un libro di facile lettura sull’assertività, sul saper dire di no e non dover fare e sempre la “carina” perchè prima di tutti bisogna rispettare se stessi.
Purtroppo l’edizione italiana è volgare come formato , mancano le vignette carinissime, ed è stata tradotta penosamente, e.g. il leitmotiv del libro “I don’t hink so” è stato tradotto “non credo” quando la traduzione appropriata per essere assertivi è “non credo proprio!
Dottie Resnick
A short, super-fast, (I read the whole thing while eating lunch) and somewhat funny advise book for women on assertiveness training or "I don't think so". Gives some advice on how to not be "toxically nice" and stand up for yourself, while also not going to the other extreme and being mean and/or behaving poorly. With a bit of humor, honesty and firmness we can state our positions and act on our convictions.
Diane
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious. And helpful. I first read it several years ago, then brought it out the other day to re-read. Very helpful in boundary setting. It provides that ever so important reminder that just because someone asks for something, doesn't mean you have to say Yes. As a practice of self-care, start saying, "I don't think so."
Mike Ceballos
Mar 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Minimiza la capacidad femenina. Más que un libro feminista, pareciera un libro machista; ya que parte de la premisa que la mujer no es capaz de llevar una relación madura, incurriendo en detalles absurdos y de bajo nivel intelectual.
No vale la pena, ni siquiera, querer leerlo.
Maree Kimberley
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since the mid 1990s and I'm glad to see it's still around! This book helped me to say "no" when I needed to (and really wanted to). It's a small book, and doesn't take long to read, but its advice holds true today, more than 15 years after I first bought my copy.
melydia
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing and thought-provoking...and easily read in a single sitting. I recommend this to all those who suffer from Toxic Niceness. There's even a chapter to help men get in touch with their Inner Prince. Good stuff.
Alejandra
Welcome to "I don't think so."!
Kiki5860
Mar 17, 2012 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
太空洞了,大话空话,可能以前的我需要,现在已经不需要她来告诉我这些道理了
Loana Cooper
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every woman needs to read this book!
Lizeth Lizardi
Buen libro para armarte de valor y de power girl por unos días ajaja, ya después se te olvida, no es tan bueno como todos cuentan, es mas la fama y publicidad que tiene.
  • J'accuse!
  • The Letters of a Portuguese Nun
  • Tratado de culinaria para mujeres tristes
  • Historia de Roma

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” —Maya Angelou” 1 likes
“When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.” —Cynthia Heimel” 1 likes