Start by marking “Above / Below” as Want to Read:
Above / Below

Above / Below

A city has fallen from the sky.

In the wreckage, two men – Devian Lell, a window cleaner in the floating cities of Loft, and Eli Kurran, a security guard in one of the polluted, ground-based cities of Dirt – will find their lives changed.

Devian, who has done what few in the floating landscape have by stepping outside the sanctuary of his home, will be drawn into the
Paperback, 1st, 188 pages
Published January 2011 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Above / Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above / Below

Start your review of Above / Below
Thoraiya
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
So the book arrived today and I just thought I'd take a little peek...(PEEK, GEDDIT?)...now it's 1am and, well, if there's such a thing as a belch of appreciation after a satisfying read, consider this to be mine (belch? second breath?)

I read "Above" first and found the language gorgeous, the mileu one of depth and consistency, and the many levels of conflict skilfully intertwined. A couple of quiet, enjoyable character studies in a luxuriantly described world.

Bonus points for mentioning the
Jacy
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This is a book that is actually two short stories about the same world. Above is set in the floating city Loft, Below is set in the planet Dirt. Dirt is below many floating cities, with Loft the most prestigious. Dirt does the hazardous work of providing fuel, oil, coal for the floating cities and disposing of their garbage. The floating cities trade medicine and other supplies to Dirt. The citizens of Dirt have a maximum lifespan of 48 as long as they have an operation at age 12 that helps ...more
Mark Webb
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge.

Above/Belowis made up of two novellas - Above by Stephanie Campisi and Belowby Ben Peek. The stories are based in the same world - a world where the inhabitants have split themselves into two main groups. The inhabitants of Loft have built cities that take to the skies and float amongst the clouds, while the inhabitants of Dirt remain on the surface of the planet. It is a fairly blatant have/have not
Claire
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The first thing I noticed about this book was the cover. I was scrolling through the First Reads Giveaways (from which I received my copy) page and was attracted by the vibrant, crisp, contrasting colors of the cover. As I read the book I discovered that the cover reflects the two stories within it perfectly: they are vibrant, crisp, contrasting, and fascinating.

Above, the first book (or at least the on I read first) transported me into the Loftian world of clean floating cities, seemingly
Carrie
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book (which is actually 2 novellas by 2 authors) and would love to see more of the world in the book...I have so many questions. I could not find this in the kindle store but the publisher sells it direct & it was pretty easy to figure out the download. I read Above first but you can download below/above where you can read it last. I think you would understand it better with Above first.
I read this right at the same time as I heard "Mr Daisey & the Apple Factory" from
Jane
I'm torn with this one. I love the idea - both the idea of having two authors each address an idea from two different perspectives, and the idea behind the story itself, that a slave nation, an underclass, lives shortened, poisoned lives to provide the energy to keep another nation alive and comfortable. That's pretty much how the world works and as usual it's more fun to read about it in spec fiction than in a non-fiction 1000-page hectoring diatribe.
But I struggled a bit with the execution,
Anna Hepworth
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the idea of the paired double, that tells you more about the first story when you read the second. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of Peek's writing, and his part of the work did not improve this. Campisi's part is lyrical, beautiful, but as with Peek's, ultimately unsatisfying either as prose or a polemic.

What I will say about Peek - he has put his practice in writing/being an Angry Young Man to good use here, with a story that seems intent on milking that for all it is worth.
Kirstyn McDermott
For an in depth discussion of Above / Below, please listen to my podcast, The Writer and the Critic, episode 6.
Meira Louis
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a good read. Perfect for an afternoon.
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2015
Alice
Apr 29, 2015
Alisa Krasnostein
Jan 16, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Joanne