Start by marking “What Do Parents Do? (When You're Not Home)” as Want to Read:
What Do Parents Do? (When You're Not Home)

What Do Parents Do? (When You're Not Home)

The tables are turned and the grown-ups have all the fun in this wickedly silly story of parental mayhem.
When two children set off to stay the night at their grandparents', they spend their day imagining what their parents are doing while they're away. Jumping on beds, they think, or sledding down the stairs on pillows. Watching hours of television, playing ball in t
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about What Do Parents Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do Parents Do?

Start your review of What Do Parents Do? (When You're Not Home)
midnightfaerie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another enchanting book I picked up for .50 cents at a library sale! A fun story about what parents really do when the children are away! (Like play with the kid's toys and jump on the bed!) After reading it, my 5 yr old son asked seriously whether we did this when he was gone. Just as seriously I said "Absolutely!" A great story that can be read over and over again, probably about a level 1 reading level.

-read it again today, and it's still a big favorite in our family!
Candice
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
As a little boy and his sister head for their grandparents' house to spend the night, he imagines what his parents will be doing while the kids are gone - all of the things he is not allowed to do, such as jump on the bed, watch endless TV, read comic books, and snack in bed. The colorful illustrations showing the parents doing these activities are very humorous. A smaller picture on each page shows what the children are doing at their grandparents' house. Not for the very young because they wou ...more
Amy Porter
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
This was a very fun book to read. It gives some examples of what parents might do with day without their children. These were things i would definitely not see my parents doing, but who knows they probably do do this when they get a break from my siblings. The illustrations were fun detailed and colorful. (Realistic Fiction)
Lizzie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two kids go to spend the night at their grandparents, and begin to wonder what their parents do while they are away. Do they jump on the bed, watch TV, eat junk food? The kids basically think they make one big mess! When the kids get home, they ask what they do while they are gone, and are left with a pretty ambiguous answer. This book displays imagination and perceived family dynamics. I totally used to imagine what my parents might be doing when I wasn't around, so this book would have amused ...more
Mariah Wright
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What Do Parents Do? (When You're Not Home) is about a brother and sister who are sent to stay with their grandparents for the day and they wonder what do their parents do when they are not there. In this story it is described that parents basically act like big kids. They do all the things that they tell their children not to do. This story is funny and the illustrations are very colorful and descriptive. The whole page is what the parents are doing and in the corner of the pages is a illustrati ...more
Erin Puskas
This picture book was really adorable. It describes what a boy who spends the night at his grandparents thinks his parents do when the kids are gone, and it is pretty funny. I think that kids would get a kick out of this book, as they question what their own parents might do when they aren't around. I thought the illustrations were awesome, too.
Kate Sanders
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is actually quite funny, even to me. Kids have a bigger imagination than I so I can only imagine how much they would enjoy it too. It gives them ideas of what their parents may be up to while they are at school.
Shiloah
The kids thought it was funny in a “groan” “yeah right” sort of way.
Anthony Ledford
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good story for passing time. But not a lot of teaching can come out of it
Caroline Herfindahl
A story about what parents do when kids aren’t home... a sweet look at the fun a couple has when their kids go to the grandparents.
Mort
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: georgia-pre-k, humor
I find this book funny for children.
Melissa Holt
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It gives the children an imagination of what their parents do when they are gone to a friends home or to the grandparents house. When I read this book it seems like the parents do things that the children are not allowed to do at the house. For example, the parents play video games and eat all the time. Children can learn from this book by using their imagination to imagine what their parents are doing at the house when they are gone. As a teacher you can teach the chil ...more
Brooke Devarennes
This is a cute book that explores what parents do when the kids are gone at Grandma's for the weekend. The parents do things that the kids would do like jump on the bed, eat dessert before breakfast, run around the house, and sled down the stairs. Meanwhile the kids are behaving nicely at Grandma's and discussing what mom and dad are probably doing at home. This is a good book for making predictions and sequencing.
Jane Sanchez
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very funny book, I like this book because the parents and children change role. This book also shares plenty of good images. You can even understand the book as the children using their imagination when they believe what there parents do while their not home. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to laugh and enjoy a funny book with their children. I rate this book a five start because I always enjoy a good laugh.
Diana Acosta
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was fun to read, it had good vocabulary. The illustrations were interesting to watch due to the parents are jumping in the bed or the day go to bed with out brushing their teeth. I would read it to my future children if they go to their parents house and ask me what Am I going to do while they are gone.
Jacqueline Gary
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny book. One learning experience that I thought of is using this for children to write in their own words what they thought their parents do when they aren't at home. The children could possibly act out what they wrote.
Yi-ching
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
The illustrations contrast the parents' wild adventures at home (jumping on beds, getting dirty socks up on the ceiling fan, dressing up the dog...) with the children's wholesome fun at their grandparents' house.
Tricia
May 04, 2008 rated it liked it
funny tale of parents being naughty while the kids are at grandparents for the night.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parents, speculation
A fun little story of what two children suspect their parents are up to (all sorts of naughty things) when they go to spend the night at their grandparents.

Fun illustrations.
Mandy
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars)

The kids are off to spend the weekend with grandma and grandpa. What will mom and dad do while they are away?
Zuria Harrington
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
This is a fun book. I laughed at the many ideas. This is a book I would read to lead into a creative exploration activities. This book is very enjoyable.
Nick Cherry
I thought this book had great pictures. I know kids would enjoying hearing this story. Its funny and predictable.
Magila
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5

Didn't love this, but it wasn't bad. Art was entertaining, and the story is ok. I wouldn't seek it out, but if it's at your library you might grab it once.

Not really recommended.
Amanda Contreras
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-emotional
this story lets children use their imagination of what they think their parents do when their not home. This is good to read to the children while they are in school and mom and dad are at home.
Laurie Petersen
Amusing speculation from a kid's point of view about parents getting away with all the stuff they are always lecturing their kids about. --Laurie
Alice Fielding
May 25, 2018
Sagan
Oct 29, 2015
Serena
May 02, 2010
Jenny
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super cute story! Parents and kids loved it in storytime.
Patti
Jul 25, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »

• Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Mister Seahorse
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Sneezy the Snowman
  • What Can Simon Be?
  • Chu's First Day of School (Chu, #2)
  • About Mollusks: A Guide for Children
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • The Princess And The Pea
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Ranger Rick: I Wish I Was A Polar Bear
  • The Right One for Roderic
  • Big Sister, Little Sister
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • The Lion and the Bird
  • Trapper (Serendipity)
  • Aunt Eater's Mystery Halloween
Jeanie Franz Ransom is a children's picture-book author and former elementary school counselor with a penchant for puns and a fondness for fractured fairytales. Her books include the award-winning "What Really Happened to Humpty?" and "The Crown Affair," and her newest title, "Cowboy Car."

Jeanie also writes self-help books for kids and the adults in their lives, including "Don't Squeal Unless It'