Start by marking “Dragons of the Highlord Skies (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragons of the Highlord Skies (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #2)

Dragons of the Highlord Skies

(Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles #2)

The Chronicles retold--from evil's point of view.
The story starts in Neraka, where Kitiara uth Matar and Emperor Ariakas hatch a plan to retrieve a dragon orb and thereby destroy Solamnia and the Companions in one fell swoop. But the guardian of the dragon orb, Highlord Feal-Thas, disagrees with this plan. Kitiara must go to Ice Wall to force him to accept Ariakas' will,
Published January 8th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of the Highlord Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of the Highlord Skies

Markus
Another decent supplementary novel in the Dragonlance universe. This one deals with the tension between the various highlords as well as the Knights of Solamnia, with Kitiara Uth Matar as the main protagonist.

Strangely, Weis and Hickman's writing is better in these lost chronicles than the original ones. Unfortunately, the story is not as epic and thus it's more difficult to forget the series' flaws. Nevertheless, I am glad I chose to come back to this setting once more. It will probably happen
Tim
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, 2000s
I’m finding myself breaking my no review policy towards books in a series left and right nowadays (I try to stick to stand alone novels) so I’m just going to ditch the policy. Obviously I can’t follow it right now.

This review aims to be spoiler free, but there are some minor plot points discussed. All of which are described on the back of the book, but if you wish to know zero details, consider yourself warned.

I genuinely enjoy the Dragonlance series, particularly the books by Weis and Hickman.
Jenny
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm pleasantly surprised by this book because it mostly concerns Kitiara uth Matar, a character I never like in the Dragonlance Chronicles. However, Weiss and Hickman do a good job here of making Kit into a solid protagonist. Giving their readers insight to Kit's decisions and struggles is smart, considering that her actions are generally despicable. Being inside her world, though, the reader is able to understand her better and to appreciate the battles faced by "the other side." Kit is a stron ...more
Katrin
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
i finished this one while traveling and it was a perfect traveling book. i have read many books in the dragonlance series before and some have been awesome, some did not impress me that much. this one belongs to the first category. the story is gripping and keeps you attached to the book. there are times when you just cannot put it down. it was a great joy to have the kender for a quite big portion also in the book. our usual heroes are not the center of attention but they take part. all in all ...more
David
Book 2 of the Lost Chronicles was rather disappointing. Rather disappointing coming off from reading book 1. Book 1 made me feel nostalgic; book 2 felt dragging at certain places and didn't make me feel like wanting to keep going.

The second book focuses primarily on Kitiara and Sturm I would say; the former of how she ended up with Lord Soth in her service and the latter of how he ended up with Derek Crownguard and the dragon orb.

I didn't particularly like Kitiara so my enthusiasm was already do
John
Way back in the prologue this starts building tension towards what should be a meaty challenge wherein Kitiara tries to win over Lord Soth, one of the most powerful beings on Krynn, and convince him to join the war. There should be battles, riddles...maybe an uncomfortable meal at Lord Soth's table or something...

The stakes are high, Kit is fearless and lucky, Lord Soth is one of the most fascinating characters in all the books and everything is set for an amazing tale.

And it's all wasted in a q
Christopher
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent supplement to the Chronicles trilogy. The story is wonderfully compelling. This book gives many of the characters features in the story so much more depth and interest than they was able to receive in the original trilogy, and brilliantly fills in blanks in the original story. I found the book almost as difficult to put down as the Chronicles. And while some may argue that the people receiving attention in this book are ancillary characters, I think it is the strength of Dra ...more
 ☆Ruth☆
Of the ten Dragonlance novels I have read so far, I found this one a little less appealing than the others. That's not because of any deficiency in the writing or storylines - which are both of the usual high standard - it's simply because the book focuses on Kitiara and she happens to be one of my least favourite characters from the series. I have given it 3.5 stars as it was more than 'like', but less than 'really like'. Raistlin on the other hand is much more intriguing to me and I very much ...more
MJ
There's not a lot to recommend about the book - it fills in the details on what occurred between the first 2 novels of the original DL series. Unfortunately, it turns out that most of what happened wasn't particularly exciting. In addition, somehow Weis & Hickman managed to recapture the weak writing of the first series perfectly despite having been working on their craft for more than 2 decades since writing the first ones.
David
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and cannot wait to read the third book.
Guadalupe Vazquez
4,5/5 estrellas.

Narrativa:

La escritura es bastante amena, sencilla y llevadera. Las autoras no se detienen en extensas descripciones ni largas metáforas o comparaciones. Lo que me hubiera gustado ver más son los sentimientos o emociones de los personajes, ya que sentí que estaban muy por encima y no se logra profundizar mucho con ellos, más allá de que son como diez personajes.

Mi opinión:

Me gustó bastante la historia. Como cuenta la sinopsis, Kitiara es mandada por su General en una misión que
Viel Nast
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the second book of lost chronicles begins when the first ended. it has three (and a small fourth) parts.
the first is about Kitiara and how he managed to find out about her friends the dragon orb and many more adventures, the second is about the three solamnic knights how they reached tarsis and why. the third is the actual lost chronicle where is depicted the icereach adventure part and what the second group of the companions did to get the orb. there are some nice parts where some scenes that w
Gayle Gordon
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Geoff Battle
The concept of revisiting one of the most loved fantasy campaigns in fiction is certainly an appealing one. The first volume offered a credible entry in to that mythos, however Highlord Skies misses that mark. It presents a plot following Kitiara and her plans for revenge upon a member of the Heroes of the Lance. Revenge, a well used motive for plots in high fantasy is best used as a sub-plot, and although there is a weaker plot running parallel about a quest to retrieve a Dragon Orb, neither co ...more
Sam Bluesky
Es... difícil de encajar dentro del hueco que hay entre las dos primeras partes de La Tumba de Huma, y es un poco inconsistente a veces.

Al querer añadir dos tramas en un único libro han acabado con un resultado largo y de lectura pesada a tramos. Al menos tiene la buena idea de alternar Kit con Laurana, y el cambio de aires lo hace más llevadero.

Eso sí, sigo pensando que cambiar la sonrisa ambigua por sesgada es un error.
Donald
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn't read a Dragonlance novel in many years. This is a well planned and executed fantasy story. Being the second in a series of what I gather are fill-in stories that flesh out situations that happened in other books that there just wasn't room to expand on there, I was coming in blind. It was not difficult to pick up the threads and identify the major players and what sides they were on and kick back and enjoy the rich world created by the authors. Thoroughly likable.
T.C. Michael
I still enjoyed this book, but it felt a lot more boring than the first. During the first half of the book, all of the viewpoints came off as boring, but I would say that's just because the characters were either talking a lot or traveling, there wasn't a lot of action in the beginning. I wasn't a huge fan of the knights for quite a while, in fact, I didn't care for them until the final chapters. Kitiara's chapters were a little more entertaining, but not until the second half.

3/5 stars
Ana Elena Romero
Adoro esta saga. Es una delicia haber encontrado estas Crónicas Perdidas, porque me daba mucha lástima haber concluido la historia de los héroes de la lanza.
Sin ser la historia principal, no por ello pierde intensidad ni interés.
Los personajes mantienen su frescura inicial y siguen el curso de la historia, ampliando su contenido y haciendo disfrutar a sus seguidores con estas nuevas aventuras.
Lo dicho... una delicia
Alexandra Lukáči
Second from Lost Chronicles tells stories about finding second dragon apple and another story about Kitiara, who is trying to find Tanis and ends by castle where Soth lives. I really enjoyed this book, but it have few flaws, like not so much story about Kit and Soth and I didnt like part with Fael - Thase in body of wolf, it should get more action. But book was allright.
Brandon
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reread - it’s not as good as I remember. There are too plot holes that I never noticed before. But I did like Tasselhoff for the first time ever. I’ll read the last in the Trilogy bc it’s about Raistlin.
Josh
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to audio book. I was lured into reading this book by the mentions of Soth on the cover, but alas, I was deceived. He hardly appears at all. This is a typical Companions book written for middle schoolers.
John Smith
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Nostalgic adventure with the Heroes of The Lance.
Ľudmilka Babkovičová
Cakala som viac, ale i tak som sa pobavila na niektorych Tasovych hlaskach.
Alicia
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow book and dark in beginning, but at 86% through, can't put it down. love the connection to faith. relative to today. Noble allegory
Alicia
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
This book, one of the 'Lost Chronicles' that fills in some of the gaps in the original series, really tells us two main stories. It tells us how Kitiara came to get Lord Soth to work for her, and it tells us more of the story surrounding the Icewall dragon orb. The focus of course is on Kit, as the title would suggest, although there is of course an emphasis on Laurana as well, and some interesting point of view scenes with one of the knights that accompanied them to get the orb.

All in all, I wa
Stacey
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this whole series. Good character driven fantasy, if a bit fluffy on occasion.
Richard
Set after the events of book one of this trilogy (The Lost Chronicles), this books covers a number of adventures that were untold or just hinted at in book two of the original trilogy (Chronicles).

The first third of the book covers the initial story of Kitiara and her time in the evil army, after that until about half way through the book we here about the story of three Solamnic knights and their quest to recover the Dragon Orb in hopes of winning the war. The remainder of the book switches bet
Nathan
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Chronicles were published a ways after the Chronicles books, but threaded through them -- and, happily, they were written by Weis and Hickman, unlike the 200+ other so-called Dragonlance books out there. This book is best read directly after Lost Chronicles Book 1, Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, which should have been read directly after Chronicles Book 1, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. It tells the tale of how the knights Derek and Brian and Aran got involved in the quest for the dragon o ...more

• The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Empire of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #3)
  • Betrayal (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #2)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • Destiny (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #3)
  • Flight of the Fallen (Dragonlance: Linsha, #2)
  • The Survivors (Dragonlance: The Anvil of Time, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles (3 books)
  • Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #3)
“To remind us that our lives are made up of blank sheets waiting to be filled,” Lillith replied. “The book of life is open when we are born, and it closes with our death. We write in it continually, but no matter how much we write, what joy or sorrow we experience or what mistakes we have made, we will always turn the page, and tomorrow’s page is always blank.” 1 likes