Start by marking “Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing” as Want to Read:
Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing

(Swamp Thing (1982-1996) (Collected Editions) #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  24,090 ratings  ·  1,121 reviews
Before WATCHMEN, Alan Moore made his debut in the U.S. comic book industry with the revitalization of the horror comic book THE SWAMP THING. His deconstruction of the classic monster stretched the creative boundaries of the medium and became one of the most spectacular series in comic book history.

With modern-day issues explored against a backdrop of horror, SWAMP THING's
Published February 23rd 1998 by Vertigo (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Swamp Thing, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Nick Burns I hope you continued. This is the worst volume of the series, in my opinion, even if I still like it. I don't think the series was able to find it's o…moreI hope you continued. This is the worst volume of the series, in my opinion, even if I still like it. I don't think the series was able to find it's own identity until vol. 2 -3.(less)

·  24,090 ratings  ·  1,121 reviews

Start your review of Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing
Alejandro
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Swamp Thing's epic run by Alan Moore begins here!

This TPB Hardcover Edition collects "Swamp Thing" (Vol.2) #21-27.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrators: Steve Bissette & Rick Veitch

A GOOD ROOT GROWS

If you are a fan of Alan Moore, you must read these hardcovers editions. No question about it.

For me it had been a wonderful experience.

It's amazing how brilliant is the writing and how great are the events.

You will never see the character of Swamp Thing in the same way, after to
Patrick
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I didn't read comics.

This is a little strange, as I loved picture books. And I loved reading. Even so, I'd just never gotten into it.

But back when I was 10 or 11, I was in a convenience store with my mom. I saw a rack of comics and thought to myself, "Maybe I could buy one. Maybe this would be cool..."

So I picked one at random off the rack, took it home, and read it.

It freaked my shit out. Like, all the way out. Absolutely terrified me.

I didn't understand what was going on
Dirk Grobbelaar
There is a red and angry world.
Red things happen there.
The world eats your wife.
And eats your friends.
It eats all the things that make you human.
And it turns you into a monster.

As a youth I didn’t get Swamp Thing. And reading this as an adult it’s rather easy to see why. Before I get into any details, I have to just say that the prose in here is breathtakingly beautiful at times. This is not a book for children; it is a book for people who have seen a bit of the world and have experienced some l
J.G. Keely
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, comics, horror
Here Moore laid down a marker in the history of comics, ominous and unlikely as Archduke Ferdinand's tomb. Reading through the new wave of British authors who helped to reconceptialize the genre for us poor Americans, one understands more and more why it had to be this man. There is a flair amongst them all for a certain madness and depth of psychology, but Moore was the only one who didn't think it made him special. Our curiosity is always piqued by the mysterious stranger, and Moore will alway ...more
Dan Schwent
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2019-comics
Alec Holland's life was changed forever when he died and was reborn as Swamp Thing. Or was he?

My first exposure to Swamp Thing was in an issue of Captain Atom I had as a kid. At some point in the dim past, I read the first two Alan Moore trades but through the magic of getting older and drinking a small lake of beer, I've forgotten most of them. My wife nabbed me the first volume for my birthday so here we are.

The first issue of the trade ties up all the loose ends from Martin Pasko's run. From
Sam Quixote
I know this is a beloved book and so, so many people adore this and everything else Alan Moore wrote, especially in the 80s, and that all kinds of superlatives are thrown around when discussing Swamp Thing – and I’m not being contrarian when I say this isn’t all that and a bag of chips, either. Paul O’Brien from the House to Astonish podcast nailed it when he said that “if Alan Moore’s books were as good as everyone said they were, they’d cure cancer”. Which is to say, I think this isn’t a bad b ...more
Spencer Orey
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Swamp Thing is awesome. I was hoping for more swamp facts and swampishness in general but even though this is a classic it still feels fresh. Some of the swamp thing illustrations are incredible.
Tina Haigler
Review to come :)
Jan Philipzig
So good. Like the great EC horror comics from the 1950s, Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing stories from the mid-1980s do not exploit our fear of the Other, but instead force us to face the dark, downright nasty underpinnings of our own modern world, the frailty and absurdity of our own bodies. These are psychological, often philosophical horror stories, sharp and subversive, lyrical and hypnotic, brought to life by artists Steve Bissette and John Totleben in wonderfully creepy fashion.

By the way, as I am
Diz
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
"The Anatomy Lesson" story in this volume is pretty amazing. In this story Swamp Thing discovers who or what he really is. Also, this volume introduces the idea of The Green, which is a really important concept in Swamp Thing lore. The art is freaky and the villains are quite interesting. ...more
Brad

I am hu-man.
I am meat.
Bradley
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm slightly biased in favor of Swamp Thing in general since reading Snyder's work, and I'm willing to let some other things slide because this is still Alan Moore of Watchmen and V for Vendetta as he's first gaining his fame in the early 80's, so even when I'm juggling all this in my mind, where does this first volume actually land?

It's okay. It doesn't feel *at all* like a comic for children, and I keep this in my mind because at the time this was written, *MOST of them STILL WERE*. Instead, i
Matt
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Matt by: Dan Connors
This made me question if I should have gotten my Watchmen tattoo, because it made me realize that there are comics out there that I haven't read yet that have the potential to be just as good if not better than Watchmen, and this is one of those. Then I remembered that Alan Moore wrote both Watchmen and this. I should have gotten an Alan Moore tat is the problem. Seriously, one of the greatest things I've ever read. ...more
Danger
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alan Moore's impact on the pop-culture landscape is apparent, though I personally feel like his writing can sometimes be a bit dry or esoteric (and I'm looking at you V for Vendetta).

But GODDAMN this book had some of the finest writing I've ever come across. Poetic and terrifying and hypnotic and beautiful. I'm not (or rather wasn't) a Swamp Thing fan, nor am I that well versed in the history of the DC Universe, but I was glued to every word on every page of this thing.

If you're into graphic st
RG
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Obviously a classic that is a must read. Great story telling and old school artwork. Pretty terrifying at stages but also quite q
complex for a horror type story. Political environmental issues discussed for it times 80s so I guess pretty topical back then. Really enjoyed this but preferred Watchmen.
Riku Sayuj
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok

The best part of this Saga is the hype that surrounds it and invites the reader into the swamp. It is supposed to be Moore's first real foray, it is supposed to be an environmental hyper-roar. Of course, in the end it turns out that most of the stuff is just trippy.

The introductory pages were quite something though - they built this one up unlike any other comic I have read. Moore for instance goes on this vein before introducing the story to the reader:

One of the major factors separating comi
Britton
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, comic fans who want something a little different from the norm.
Recommended to Britton by: J.G. Keely
It was quite surreal when I got the first book of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, also dubbed The Saga of The Swamp Thing. It was even more surreal reading it. Many people were telling me for years about Swamp Thing was an overlooked masterpiece and how Alan really revitalized this at the time little known monster comic and how he managed to move comics into being a medium that was more respected, and finally getting some recognition for it rather than peers that had tried and not necessarily succ ...more
Dave Schaafsma
2nd time reading, for a class on graphic novels, on the encouragement of Greg, and I like it better this time. It is pretty crazy in places, but also shows the depth that Moore brings to what seems to me to have been a mundane, run of the mill project. . . you know, a monster/horror book that he turns into this cosmic environmental hippie thing.

In some places it feels like a kind of mystic journey, an acid trip, a philosophical meditation on life and the planet, a meditation on the possibilitie
Ryan Stewart
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a masterpiece. I had always heard glowing reviews of Moore's Swamp Thing run but had never had the opportunity to read it myself. Now that I have, it met all the hype and then some.

The second issue of this volume, No. 21 "Anatomy Lesson," is the greatest single issue of a comic book I have ever read. And I don't take that statement lightly. (Note: this should be considered by the reader as Moore's first issue on the book, as No. 20 was used to tie up loose ends for the previous author's
Donovan
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I like Alan Moore, and that's a bias. But as I started reading this I thought, "Are you kidding me? This is seriously awesome." Swamp Thing is one of the coolest, weirdest books I have ever read. Moore's writing is fierce, the 80's coloring is wild, the stories are as much science-fiction as they are horror. Every single page was enthralling. I was giddy after finishing it, wanting to read yet another of his works. There was literally no moment of "I wish he had done this." ...more
Frankh
"It seems where demons fail and monsters falter, angels may prevail."

I'm coming to this version of Alan Moore's the Swamp Thing without any knowledge of his original creation by Len Wein, except of course with the brief appearances he had made during the Jamie Delano for Hellblazer: John Constantine. That being said, it had been a neat introduction to a comics icon. It was a rather baffling start at first, but one that is also beguiling enough to see through its finish.

This first vo
James DeSantis
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welp, it took me forever to get to this but damn was it good.

So the first two issues are really the best part of this run so far (not to say the rest is bad of course) but man the emotions. It starts off a bit shaky, Swamp Thing weeping for his loss, but then we get into a hunt where he is shot to death. Upon awakening he learns the truth, Holland had died years ago, and the plants have his memories. So is he the man turned monster, or the monster turned man? This is what the rest of the run fo
Buddy Scalera
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Early, sometimes brilliant, work by a creative master who helped shape the modern landscape of mature comic books. This is a story arc that opened the doors for years of creative reinterpretations of DC characters, including Sandman, Animal Man, and of course, The Watchmen.

I'd read most of Swamp Thing in individual issues over the years. This is the first time I read it in sequence. It was surprisingly good, especially when you consider how daring and creative it was for the times.

The first iss
Sesana
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics, horror
I am pretty sure this is the first I've read of Swamp Thing. I have a vague memory of Swamp Thing guest starring in an issue of a trade I read long ago, but that hardly counts. So I don't have a background in what Alan Moore is doing here that's different from what came before. What must have been a big reveal to those who had read Swamp Thing before him (view spoiler) comes so ear ...more
Scott Rhee
Alan Moore comes as close to legendary rock-star status in the comic book world as any comic book writer has ever come. If Grant Morrison is Mick Ronson, Moore is David Bowie.

With legendary titles like “The Watchmen”, “V for Vendetta”, “Miracle Man” and “The League of Extraordinary Gentleman” in his resume, Moore also wrote one of the all-time best (in my opinion) Batman graphic novels, “The Killing Joke”. He is also credited with writing one of the best Superman stories ever written, “Whatever
Mark
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Tropical weather that has been plaguing us is a good enough reason to lower the shades start the ventilators and enjoy a good reading especially if you have got comic gold in your hands with this collection of comics that started of with the scripting of Swamp Thing by none other than Alan Moore who re-injected this particular comic-book series with his genius writing.
When the talent left this comic book it original creator reached out to Alan Moore and with the drawing talent of Stephen B
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

In the early 1980s, the Swamp Thing was revived in a series entitled The Saga of the Swamp Thing with writer Martin Pasko leading the charge. While it stretched out till issue #19, its unpopularity and poor sales led DC Comics to consider cancellation until the editorial teams offered to hand over the reins to writer Alan Moore who was mostly only known for 2000 AD and V for Vendetta during this period. What they didn’t know is that they made on
Peter Derk
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This one gets points for being a brilliant reinvention of a fairly silly character. Something that really shouldn't be any good.

This book is a nice jumping-on point if you're curious about what happened to comics in the mid-80's, the time when everything got pretty dark. It certainly qualifies as a piece of history in that respect.

Great moments in this one, but the art certainly feels specific to its time.

I've started wondering if the art and the trends within comic book art might be something
Lukasz
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
The rumor has it Alan Moore initially considered the offer to take over a poorly selling comic book about a vegan-hulk a prank. Swamp Thing, conceived by Len Wein, had an interesting premise but its writer, Marty Pasko, didn‘t succeed at getting misbehaving plotlines under control. Moore agreed to write the title, and the rest is a history. Saga of the Swamp Thing redefined the ways of narrating graphic novels.

Instead of getting all delicate and subtle with his character, he killed him. “The An
Patrick
It was an interesting comic. I liked the Swamp Thing as a character but as a Comic I thought it was mediocre. The artwork looked like the same artwork when Superman and Batman first came out in the 30s (this book came out in the 80s). I don’t think I’ll finish the series.
Play Book Tag: Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 / Alan Moore. 3 stars 1 7 Oct 12, 2019 11:13PM

• Animal Man, Vol. 1
  • Animal Man, Vol. 2: Origin of the Species
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage
  • Absolute All-Star Superman
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Kingdom Come
  • Animal Man, Volume 3: Rotworld: The Red Kingdom
  • Animal Man by Grant Morrison 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Book One
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 2: The Devil You Know
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Animal Man, Volume 4: Splinter Species
  • Animal Man, Volume 5: Evolve or Die!
See top shelves…
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

Swamp Thing (1982-1996) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus