Start by marking “Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa

Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
 Welcome to Our Hillbrow is an exhilarating and disturbing ride through the chaotic and hyper-real zone of Hillbrow—microcosm of all that is contradictory, alluring, and painful in the postapartheid South African psyche. Everything is there: the shattered dreams of youth, sexuality and its unpredictable costs, AIDS, xenophobia, suicide, the omnipotent violence that often c ...more
Published February 24th 2011 by Ohio University Press (first published July 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Our Hillbrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Our Hillbrow

Bill
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very short novel, a novella really, only 124 pages. It is written as a narrative from a second person, to the main protagonist, who is already dead as the book is written.

Hillbrow is a very violent suburb of Johannesburg in South Africa, and the title of the book is very ironic, as there is definitely nothing welcoming there at all. Almost every character in the book dies at some point, by all kinds of different means. Suicide, murder, AIDS, witchcraft...you name it.

But is is till an i
AC
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow...! This book is just brilliant... Mpe, who died suddenly, leaving just this one novel and some poems, may have been a genius.
Wadlington Johnson
This was a really interesting book that I enjoyed a lot. It is very brief only containing 124 pages but the amount of substance that is fit into such a short book is extraordinary. It deals with topics such as xenophobia, racism, rumor, discrimination, poverty, AIDS, and crime all within its covers. Another thing that sets the book apart is the second person narration that talks not back to the reader but to the protagonist of the story who has already passed when the book begins. It chronicles ...more
Roberto
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, già-letto
Benvenuti a Hillbrow è un romanzo basato sulla descrizione delle difficili condizioni di Hillbrow, un’area ghettizzata di Johannesburg, un tempo zona di soli bianchi, oggi luogo ibrido, meta degli immigrati dal resto dell’Africa, sovrappopolato, degradato, brulicante di vita ma anche segnato dalla morte e dalla violenza.

Usando diversi stili letterari come il realismo magico e il flusso di coscienza, l’autore descrive la vita della città dopo la fine dell’apartheid, affrontando temi come la xenof
Joseph Schreiber
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This remarkable novel employs a distinctive narrative voice drawn from the oral traditions of the author's home community (Limpopo Province) to explore complex questions of urban social problems, xenophobia and modern literary concerns in post-Apartheid South Africa. The communal narrator addressing the dead main character from both the physical and the metaphysical reality may seem to belay the sophistication of the plot structure, but in truth it heralds what was, at the time, an exciting new ...more
Jakey Gee
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
And so, South African season kicks off. I've been meaning to read this since picking it up in Joburg a few years ago and getting suddenly 'back into' things South African on reading Mr Flanery's (okay, he's American) wonderful novel, 'Absolution' (which itself reminded me of the unique conditions and rawness of SA literature - which is why I find it so darn interesting).

Here's a short, lyrical little number set among Hillbrow migrants, but focusing as much on where they've migrated from. It tak
Umar Paswal
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting book if one wants to examine the lives of Black South Africans living in a big city after the apartheid. Most of the the people in these neighborhoods have moved from countryside and live in a separate world from White South Africans. The unique thing about this book is that it doesn't deal with White vs Black issues, but its main focus is the attitude and prejudices of Black South Africans toward other Black South Africans and immigrants from other African countries. Interes ...more
Adam
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two stars: it was 'ok' at best.

This tale of life in and around Johannesburg failed to engage me.

The topics covered in this novel (including AIDS, race relations, human relations, and the 'new' South Africa) are treated far better in Dog Eat Dog by Nicholas Mhlongo.

One good thing about Welcome to Hillbrow is its brevity.
Irene
Jan 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, not-my-cuppa
Suicidal ideation on a large scale? Did the author actually kill himself at 34 or was there a different cause of death?

I just couldn't really get fully into it. I didn't love the writing style. I don't know. I thought it'd be better.
Elizabeth Joss
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptionally sad narrative of young people living in Hillbrow, South Africa. Fraught with complexities and contrasts, this is an explicit tale for those interested in the realities of post-apartheid South Africa.
Anna J
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very strong and unsettling novel.
Catherine
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mpe's novel, told entirely in second person, begins to address the shift in ZA from country to city, and the effects that shift has on the populace. It does not shirk from telling the messy parts of life, and mentions necklacing as well as AIDS.

The book, at just over 120 pages, is a quick and thoughtful read. The characters are surprisingly engaging, given the very short length of the book; a hallmark of a good writer. I can't say it was an easy read, for all of its length, but it was the only
Imz
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella was haunting. The novel deals with many issues such as HIV/AIDS, xenophobia, poverty, prejudice in the Johannesburg city of Hillbrow following the end of apartheid...The novel not only takes you on a journey in Hillbrow, it also spans borders, oscillating between the rural town of Tiragalong, Alexandra township and Oxford!

it was a whole mix of all these complex stories told in just 124 pages. I would reccommend this book if you're looking for more insight into issues plaguing the c
Ryan Monaghan
A short read, looking into one of the most infamous areas of Johannesburg, and the disconnects existing between tradition and modernity, village and city, as it affects a small group of educated villagers living in a starkly different post-apartheid South Africa.

While I was not constantly interested in the story - you could read it in a day, but I spanned it over a month - it's a great read for a quick look at Hillbrow from the perspective of one who lived there in a turbulent time. I hope to p
Joan
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubs
This is an excellent narrative of life in the inner city of Johannesburg, in early post-apartheid, South Africa. The story also tackles the issues and tensions between life in a rural community and in the city. The pressures of life, xenophobia, AIDS, drugs, suicide, love and relationships, family and people's perceptions of others' choices. It is a complex but easy read. I still do not know who the narrator is but each line of text has been carefully constructed to give substance to the many le ...more
Chris
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why are all African novels so damned sad. Okay maybe not all, but most of the ones I read.

The second person narrative is interesting, and the twining building storyline is excellent. As mentioned in many reviews, the brevity of the novel saves it from stagnating, which I honestly believe it would have if it had continued.
The subject matter is shocking and horrible and cruel, but also topics seen around the world, so it's brutal honesty is what makes the novel kick you in the ass and make you tak
Dominique
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The energy of this novel shocks on the first page, where the first walk through the Hillbrow neighborhood in Johannesburg is the pace you keep as you enter the lives of the strivers who people South Africa. Definitely a novel where you sigh with some sadness at the end... but one where you don't then want to go collapse in bed. Instead you want to feverishly start striving yourself. Beautiful.
Tuck
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: south-africa
5 stars just because this was written in Sepedi and English both. but this version is just english. A novel of the old story of the country mouse moving to the big city and getting his college degree, getting aids, getting beat up, getting lots of women in the sack, getting shunned, getting robbed, losing his bearings.
Vera
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with a huge potential that tackles homophobia, racism and AIDS. Written from different points of view, this novel is a satire of the South African segregated society in a post-Apartheid world that resembles a lot the pre-Apartheid period. I read the author died at only 34 and I can't help feeling sorry he didn't have time to write and share more with us.
Emily
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this directly after reading Ways of Dying, and while I like the messages that it conveys and the story in general, I couldn't get over that it was written in the second person. The second person does help to put the reader in the main character's shoes, but it just isn't a point of view that I want to read for a whole novel. Over all, I much preferred Ways of Dying.
Jon
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Set in post-apartheid South Africa, Welcome to Our Hillbrow deals with issues such as xenophobia and AIDS. It was a brief and educational read that contained some interesting aspects, but the second-person perspective was bothersome after a while and the Inception-like device of stories inside stories quickly became confusing.
Jack Ochs
went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars on this. as another reviewer said, writing was a bit "uneven" and definitely repetitive at times; still, there were sections of brilliance. sad, hopeful reflections on live and death in Johannesburg from an HIV positive writer living in Jozi.
Katherine Merrell
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book about the struggles of life in South Africa. I had to read this for an English class, but I am so glad I did because it opened my eyes to the lives of the people in Africa. This post-modern text is a tragic but great read.
Jenny Land
I thought the writing was uneven and while the use of the 2nd person was really interesting, it wasn't used consistently and I found that confusing. Still, an interesting look inside a S. African township...
Daniel Apatiga
A very difficult book to read because of the topics that it covers: suicide, AIDS, betrayal, love, and death. This book is not for the weak-hearted. I got a lot out of it when I finished reading it however.
Stacy
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good novel about a college student coming of age in Hillbrow, Johannesburg, South Africa. Hillbrow was then and continues to be a very densely populated and high-crime area immensely affected by HIV/AIDS.
Aaron
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african-lit
A depressing look at Hillbrow, a neighborhood that filled with immigrants after Apartheid ended. The book is filled with the tension between the village demands and the city demands and the toll AIDs has taken on South Africa.
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written book challenging so many traditional expectations of fictions— the way a reader expects a story to be narrated, narrative time, voice, etc. The book deals with post-apartheid South African life ( AIDS, poverty, crime) in a South African way.
Korina Layne
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confusing, but still really good.
Mehak
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting use of second-person narrative, readable yet inexplicably alienating, warm yet critical.
  • Ways of Dying (Toloki #1)
  • The Quiet Violence of Dreams
  • Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote
  • Fools And Other Stories
  • Ancestral Voices
  • Going Down River Road
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • Red Dust