Start by marking “30 Days to Understanding the Bible” as Want to Read:
30 Days to Understanding the Bible

30 Days to Understanding the Bible

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  431 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Max Anders' updated classic resource for learning the Bible in 30 days. Understand the Bible in 30 Days includes all the features that made the original so popular--plus much more. Proven effective by over 200,000 readers, Understand the Bible in 30 Days introduces you to key Bible characters, places, and events in chronological order so that you can "think your way throug ...more
Published August 15th 1998 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 1988)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days to Understanding the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days to Understanding the Bible

Mandy J. Hoffman
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
MY REVIEW:

Quite honestly, I didn't think I needed to read this book. I had already done some CE studies through Moody Bible Institute in both Old Testament and New Testament Survey. However, I decided to read this book so I could be familiar with it before recommending it to others. Despite my whole 30+ years of being in Sunday School, Sunday services, Youth Group, and doing independent studies, I learned a LOT from this book. I say all this to stress the fact that this book is appropriate for b
Jason Green
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Before Oct 2011, I had never read the bible. I still haven't read it all, but I've at least started. I had actually purchased a study bible more than a year ago with the intent of reading it (more from an academic standpoint). But I didn't. Part of the reason is because it is a daunting task to undertake alone. Joining a church and a bible study group helps with that. But it's easy to feel lost in its vastness. 30 Days to Understanding the Bible helps put things in perspective. It provides an ov ...more
Kristin
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed. Finally, I have a general structure and overview for Bible. I love that this is a fill-in-the-blank book where you repeat what you're learning by actually writing it. I hope it will stay with me better now.
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have thoroughly enjoyed the reading of this book, “30 Days to Understanding the Bible” by Max Anders. One thing in particular that I appreciated was the way it was able to systematically layout the Bible in a very succinct and simple manner that helped me to better understand the structure of the Bible. At first glance, an individual will see the Bible as merely a collective gathering of an assortment of books written by foreign authors with unusual names. Instead, the Bible is a culmination o ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

The book uses extreme repetitiveness to encourage memory. It's impossible not to have everything memorized after you've read ten chapters and had to fill out the same things on each chart. I didn't read this once in 30 days; it was sitting on my "currently reading" over a year. The reason being I read half of it in one sitting and kept meaning to get back to it for study but didn't. I'm not one who can do a reading cycle.

The ten doctrines of the bible is the third section are interesting as i
Carol Arnold
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very good overview of the Bible and Biblical doctrine. Its emphasis is on understanding the basic structure so that the reader can see how it is all put together and know what to expect when reading the different books. That is, you will learn which books are historical, poetic, prophetic or epistles (letters). Given this information, you will not be expecting a history lesson when you are reading a book of poetry or prophecy (although some history will be included). This book als ...more
Georgia Herod
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I sensed I had "lost" some of the chronology of the Bible, I decided to read through the Scripture this year. At the same time, I found Anders book which made it possible for me to review, review, review in just fifteen minutes a day and rediscover the core teachings of Scripture, the geography of the Holy Land, and refresh myself with the significant characters, places, and events of God's story. Anders uses visual images, charts, repetition, and key words to reinforce the learning.
The
Michael Murphy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent resource for bible studying and understanding. Worthy of opening time-and-again. It will help with increased understanding and comprehension of the content within the two covers of your Holy Bible. It, could be, a great study, in itself, for the bible.
Koren Leggett
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So complete and yet simple. Looking forward to studying this with our family during the next school year. We may even start sooner I'm loving it so much!
Connie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a workbook. Very good if you are learning about the Bible and how to maneuver through it.
Kristi
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I found this book incredibly informative. A lot of the information I knew before--either from my own study or my college religion courses--but I did value the outline he provided. The timelines and outlines of major themes and periods of Biblical history really helped me grasp more fully the linear structure of the Bible and how all the books relate to each other. I did find some of the review activities monotonous and too frequent, but I can see the use of them for younger readers and/or those ...more
Ms.Wietecha
Jessica
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was a great way to introduce someone to the Bible. At first, I was frustrated by the repetitiveness, but after a while, I found that I was memorizing the facts/lists and was able to recall them. The self tests served their purpose because it forced you to read the information and comprehend what you were reading. Again, I found that I memorized lists with ease and was able to recall large chunks of information.
Kim Edwards
This is a good book if you're pretty unfamiliar with the major storyline and doctrines of the Bible. You can expect to gain a foundational understanding of what the Bible teaches. If you already understand the basics and are looking for something more in-depth, this probably isn't the book for you. But for what the author it expects you to put into the experience, 15 minutes a day for 30 days, you probably won't find anything better.
Sean
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from doing this workbook. Some essential basics about the Bible that I should've been taught in High School. This is a great tool for understanding where things are and why things are in the Bible.
Bronco Mania
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Good overview of the Bible, but definitely geared towards more of a beginner level. Quick and easy read with a lot of review materials and self-tests at the end of each chapter. It was almost more of a detailed workbook rather than just a read.
Todd Tramonte
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the top five books I have ever read. It is a must study and revisit type book for all believers who hope to clearly communicate the story of God's love for His people. A great teaching tool.
Hans
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very good way to gain an understanding of the Bible. I know the semi-workbook format can be beneficial to learning for some, but its not my favorite. Although the setup is for 30 days, I would recommend taking more time to "digest" the content; maybe 2 or 3 months.
Kalena
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study, nf
Easy to understand, very light review of the Bible. There were a lot of great insights and comparisons. I especially enjoyed the geography sections. However, there are better, more thorough books that help with similar study of the Bible. Good overview, but personally need more depth.
Sergio Flores
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, very short. if you take the 30 days to read this book it will only take about 15mins to read a chapter. After this book you will know a lot more about the bible and find yourself remembering the storyline of the bible easier. The book is for anyone and everyone.
Lanny
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn about God's message for you and you learn best by understanding the big picture before understanding the details, then this book is absolutely for you.

This book will always be on my book shelf, and I would love to have discussions with you about it.
LitGarden
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that gives an overview of the Bible. It helps the reader to understand the story of the Bible. Too often we hear/read isolated stories in the Bible without connecting them to the big picture. This book helps connect the pieces!
Carrie
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
This would be a really good book for a new Christian, or for a Christian who did not receive much bible instruction while growing up. It gives a good overview of the bible.
Ann
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so full of interesting facts from the Bible. I learned a lot of history and geography from its pages. I'll be sure to keep this one on my list of favorites!
Lanny Cook
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who desire a deeper understanding of the Bible
This book provided a basic foundation of biblical understanding of the Bible, its main characters, its geography and its structure. I enjoyed it and actually read through it twice.
World03
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great understanding and repetitive. Highly recommend
Andria
After using this book, I really feel like I understand the timeline history of the bible.
Caleb
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you're looking for a brief, general overview of the Bible, it's perfect. Geography, history, and theology all right here. And SO easy to complete in 30 days!
Kinsey Major
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of topics and themes.
Fredell Boston
I was not really impressed with author's approach to understanding the Bible. It seemed contrived and extremely repetitive.
  • The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle Over Food Rights
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • Right From Wrong
  • Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • It's No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know
  • Becoming a Prayer Warrior: A Guide to Effective and Powerful Prayer
  • Salad Bar Beef
  • The Promised One: Seeing Jesus in Genesis (Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament)
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • The Happy Intercessor
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
  • Christ and Your Problems
  • Experiencing Father's Embrace
Max Anders (Th.M. Dallas Theological Seminary, D.Min Western Seminary) is the author of over 20 books and the creator and general editor of the 32 volume Holman Bible Commentary. Dr. Anders has taught on the college and seminary level, is one of the original team members with Walk Thru the Bible Ministries, and has pastored for over 20 years. He is the founder and president of 7 Marks, Inc., a min ...more
More about Max E. Anders...