Start by marking “As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda” as Want to Read:
As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda

As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  252 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Can a country known for its radical brutality become a country known for an even more radical forgiveness? More than a decade after the 1994 genocide, the Rwandan government has released tens of thousands of murderers back into the communities they ravaged. Survivors and perpetrators have had to learn to live again as neighbors. Inspired by the award-winning film As We For ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about As We Forgive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As We Forgive

Jason
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What does forgiveness really look like? How can you forgive someone who seemingly took everything away that made life worth living: family, homes, and trust? What kind of power is it that can look someone who has hurt you in the deepest way, and forgive them? This is what As We Forgive is about, specifically how do Rwandan survivors of the 1994 genocide forgive those who broke into their homes, chased them down in the wild and sought to wipe them out.

The 1994 Rwandan genocide, where Hutu attack
Buddy Eades
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased as I have know the author but that doesn't mean I don't know great writing and the scent of Jesus all over this book and story! We need to remember and hear the stories of those who walk together in finding and giving forgiveness. These are the stories that make the gospel shine. Only Jesus can make sense of the slaughter and pain while orchestrating the opportunity for an entire people to find healing and grace. Don't forget this place, these people or this story and pray that you fi ...more
Jennifer Daniels
This book will invite you to pray. -out of thankfulness, out of horror, out of fear, out of humility that comes from an honest look at those who show mercy in the face of brutal devastation. This is not for the faint of heart. But is for those who want to trust God to forgive them and want to forgive others. Amazing.
Amy Kannel
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rwanda, africa, own
This book helped validate why I have had such an interest, for more than four years now, in Rwanda and the 1994 genocide: “With the gift of listening comes the gift of healing, because listening to your brothers or sisters until they have said the last words in their hearts is healing and consoling. Someone has said that is is possible 'to listen a person's soul into existence.' I like that.” --Catherine de Hueck Doherty / “listening is the greatest form of loving. ...In a place where everyone h ...more
Marti
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are stories about the depth of the human spirit and its capacity to endure unbearable loss, to inflict unimaginable cruelty, and how two deeply divided groups of people can repent, forgive and reconcile for the good of themselves and their country. It seems like it would be impossible. These stories tell how it happened, and is still occurring. Amazing
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compassionate but honest account of the lives of the survivors of genocide. Truly inspiring. Well written and although the stories are hard to read at times, the triumph of forgiveness over hate makes this a must read.
Mariane Randall
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this not only very informative about the Rwanda genocide but inspiring as well. I listened to it and enjoyed audible's recording. would love to refer back to it for my own personal forgiveness journeys. may need to purchase the book as well.
Alice
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking, difficult to read, yet far more important than all those fun books. I recommend that anybody who is depressed should avoid it, even though it is more worthy of being read than 90% of the books out there.
Mary
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As We Forgive by Catherine Claire Larson is one of those life-changing books that will linger with you the rest of your life. It's not for the fainthearted. It's not for the hard-hearted or those bent toward stubborn unforgiveness. It's primarily a story of hope.

During 100 days of 1994 800,000 people were brutally murdered in Rwanda--a genocide swifter in execution than Nazi gas chambers. Imagine Denver and Colorado Springs--every man, woman and child--suddenly gone from our population and you'l
Debbie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells seven personal stories of experiences during the genocide, its aftermath, and how they came to forgiveness. These accounts are intense, vivid, and powerful. The people in these stories came from different areas and had different experiences, giving the reader a good idea of what happened during the genocide and afterward. The book is worth reading for these stories alone.

The narratives effectively show the struggle of how to forgive and gain peace. However, after each story, the
April
I'd wanted to read this book ever since I saw a review of it in World magazine last year. A few years back, I was reading Lee Camp's 'Mere Discipleship' for a Bible study. In one chapter, Lee points out that Rwanda was one of the most "Christian" nations in Africa and could have been used as an example of the success of Christian missions...before the genocide. He asks the question, how could people in the one of the most Christian societies in Africa turn on and kill hundreds and thousands of t ...more
Shane
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had just finished the mammoth task of wading through Dallaire's book (Shake Hands with the Devil) when I started on this. Where Dallaire's book often felt like it would get a little bogged down in the overwhelming myriad of daily decisions (and their subsequent ramifications), I found the simpler narrative style much easier to bore into!

I have been to Rwanda: I have spoken with amazing Rwandese men and women, and have been moved to tears first-hand by their stories. This work captures a glimps
Lisa
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read other books on the Rwanda and found this one particularly difficult to get through for some reason. The personal stories of tragedy were heart-wrenching, but they were all also stories of eventual forgiveness. Interspersed between these stories were brief chapters on the subject of forgiveness. Reading what happened to these people makes you see that any of them being able to offer forgiveness to the perpetrators of such evil can only be a miracle of God. The author offers guidance on ...more
Patrick
"In this way we differ from all animals. It is not our capacity to think that makes us different, but our capacity to repent and to forgive. Only humans can perform that most unnatural act and by doing so only they can develop relationships that transcend the relentless laws of nature" (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn). As We Forgive is an astonishing, painful, heartening book. If you choose to read it, be prepared for tears--of both agony and joy--to flow.
Donniesands
- great information through the stories of individuals in Rwanda
- has sections of reflection on forgiveness which I found to be very thought provoking
- the stories sometimes feel rushed and the writing is decent but loses its appeal after a few stories
- I was hoping for less anecdotal evidence and some more objective info on forgiveness
- sometimes feels too much like evangelism, when I would hope for a more neutral view
Gina
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read on recommendation of Mary Scott F. - Written by a friend of hers. Hard to read without crying as the tales of real life atrocities are told without being over-dramatized, but simply as they happened - devastating turns in the lives of real people. Examples of forgiveness and reconciliation are not over-simplified. Forgiveness is presented as the difficult process that it is. Excellent and heart-breaking and God-glorifying story-telling.
Deborah
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It took me out of my comfort zone talking about the genocide. Made me understand politically what happend but more important it showed me that if the Rwandan people can forgive their neighbours for the brutal acts of war then how silly are we who live in luxury to not feel we can forgive those around us that have hurt us.
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the hands down best book I've ever read. Please, if you have ever needed help forgiving someone, this is the book for you. The way she used the Rawandan genocide to show how literally forgive anyone, even someone who killed your whole entire family. Please read this book, it will change uour perspective on everything as it has done mine.
Thomas Trouwborst
Powerful and moving. How would you respond to someone asking for forgiveness if they murdered members of your family? Some of the stories were simply jaw-dropping. These accounts of forgiveness after the genocide/attrocities in Rwanda will help anyone to gain perspective and a better understanding of the Gospel and God's call to forgive others.
Chandra Boulden
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
WOW! If these people who experience many brutal atrocities can learn to forgive, so can I! What a lesson in this book to learn to put aside your hurts and act in good faith in the future. I liked the idea of the elders sitting under a tree for mediation and resolution. Powerful book!
Laurie
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful look at the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide. Various not-for-profit organizations and individual pastors encourage both victims and villains to enter into a process of forgiveness, repentance and restitution. Seven survivors' stories are highlighted.
Brenda Swan phinney
It has taken me weeks to get through this book when I normally read a book a week. The content is so heart wrenching and simply cannot be skimmed over. I leave for Rwanda in under 2 weeks and read this as part of my preparation for the trip.
Leslie
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every human being must read this. Remarkable stories of how the nation of Rwanda is healing after the brutal genocide of 1994 that pitted friend against friend and neighbor against neighbor.
Kathryn Spurgeon
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amazing story of terror in Rwanda. Greatest book on forgiveness I've ever read.
Pamela
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and full of beauty and hope for a ravaged country.
Manuela
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book wrecked me but in a good way. Great stories about forgiveness and redemption for all.
Siroos Soza
that is useful for me
Mathias Seiwert
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Forgiveness is at the heart of being a Christ-one…
Brenna Broadway
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible stories of the redemptive power of God!
Lashelle Hill
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing companion to the film. It is well written and hard to put down.
  • Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey
  • God Sleeps in Rwanda: A Journey of Transformation
  • The Antelope's Strategy: Living in Rwanda After the Genocide
  • The Last Lincolns: The Rise  Fall of a Great American Family
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Six Minutes to Freedom: How a Band of Heroes Defied a Dictator and Helped Free a Nation
  • Conspiracy to Murder: The Rwanda Genocide and the International Community
  • The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty
  • The Bishop of Rwanda: Finding Forgiveness Amidst a Pile of Bones
  • American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto
  • 18 Words: The Most Important Words You Will Ever Know
  • Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Young, Restless, No Longer Reformed: Black Holes, Love, and a Journey in and Out of Calvinism