Start by marking “The Scarecrow and His Servant” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow and His Servant

The Scarecrow and His Servant

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  1,582 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
One night there was a thunderstorm. A tattered scarecrow stood in the wind and rain, taking no notice . . . until a bolt of lightning struck his turnip head. The scarecrow blinked with surprise and came to life.

So begins the story of the Scarecrow, a courteous but pea-brained fellow with grand ideas. He meets a boy, Jack, who becomes his faithful servant, and they set out
Published November 3rd 2005 by Corgi Yearling (first published 2004)

Melki
Nov 03, 2012 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidstuff
Ah, the humble scarecrow...

Iconic denizen of the farmer's field. A straw man, possessor of tattered clothing, infinite patience, and a deep knowledge of the psychology and behavioral habits of our feathered friends.

Imagine if suddenly, that scarecrow were to come to life. That's exactly what happens in this story. This is one fellow who already has a brain in his knobby turnip head, and he soon acquires a servant in the form of a young boy named Jack.

Together they set out to have adventures, a
Maciek
This is a delightful little story, for children and adults alike. A scarecrow is struck by lightning, and comes to life; he recruits a young lad named Jack as his personal servant, and having nothing better to do the two embark on a grand adventure, complete with an army episode, entrangement on a solitary isle, and even a love affair. All complete with fun illustrations, bringing the story to life and pointing out its dramatic and hilarious moments just on time. Obviously inspired by Cervantes, ...more
Reading Reader
Jan 07, 2014 Reading Reader rated it did not like it
All I had previously read from Pullman was the His Dark Materials books. I picked this up purely on the strength of Pullman's name.

I asked myself lots of questions while reading this book. Questions like: Is this book supposed to be an allegory? Is it supposed to be coherent? Was that an attempt at humor? Where is this story going? Will it ever end? Why am I still reading this?

Take a pass on this one. There are so many other better books out there with similar feel and similar target audience.
Truly
Dec 08, 2009 Truly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walau terbuat dari jerami, berkepala labu lalu berkepala kelapa, memiliki hati berupa lipatan kertas, berotak kacang, namun apa yang dilakukan oleh Tuan Boneka Jerami sangat menyentuh.

" Sambil menyelipkan sarang ke dalam jaketnya, si boneka jerami bangkit. Dia hanya berhenti sejenak ketika peluru nyasar menembak kakinya hingga terlepas, dan dia harus bersandar di tangan Jack, tapi pelan-pelan mereka bisa melalui medan pertempuran....Gemuruh ledakan, rintihan dan teriakan, bunyi senapan, dan desi
e.c.h.a
Dec 06, 2009 e.c.h.a rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to e.c.h.a by: Roos
Buku-bukunya Pullman selalu menawarkan cerita yang menarik serta lain dari pada yang lain, punya keunikan dan seperti membelot dari jalur. Seperti buku "Si Boneka Jerami dan Pelayannya" ini. Membayangkan sebuah boneka jerami hidup dan melakukan petualangan serta mempunyai seorang pelayan yang setia bernama Jack. Mereka berdua melakukan petualangan yang tidak pernah mereka bayangkan, yang sebenarnya tanpa disadari oleh mereka berdua memiliki tujuan akhir yang mempesona.

Saya sebagai pembaca dirudu
Cherie
Jun 06, 2015 Cherie rated it liked it
I felt a little disappointed at the beginning of this story. After that, I realized that I just needed to work my way through it and see where it was going to take me. After that, I found myself enjoying the occasional play on words and tongue in cheek phrases that the author introduced. I even found myself looking up a word that I don't think I have ever come across before. The word was scarper. I thought it was a typo but it was not. By the end of the story, all of the seemingly scattered stor ...more
Daniel
Nov 30, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really is a wonderful fairy tale. It has all the good qualities of a classic fairy tale -- imaginative, journeys, adventures, colorful characters, and bad-guys who are obviously bad.

The young boy, Jack, has sense enough to know that everything is quite odd -- what with his master being a turnip-headed scarecrow -- but has the youthful imagination to go along with it.

If there is a down-side to this book, it's that it did get to be a little long. Perhaps one too many adventures for the scarec
Michael Fitzgerald
OK, but kind of pointless. There were all sorts of Candide-like adventures where the pair stumble through, but the book lacked anything like Voltaire's underlying philosophical basis. Of course, I doubt that was the intention, but all the same, it felt empty.
Weni
Jan 03, 2010 Weni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lagi2 Om Pullman berhasil memikat saya.
Sebuah boneka jerami yang dibuat oleh Mr. Pandolfo dari lobak besar (sbg kepala), gagang sapu, kacang polong (sbg otaknya) dan jerami mendadak hidup setelah berpindah bbrp kali dari tanah pertanian Pandolfo. Tuan Boneka Jerami lalu bertemu dengan Jack yang bersedia menjadi pelayannya dan menemaninya berpetualang menuju Spring Valley.

Saya selalu tersenyum membaca sosok Tuan Boneka Jerami yang banyak maunya. Ingin menonton sandiwara, ngotot ingin menjadi akto
Kate
Sep 21, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
i decided to read this book as i had ran out of good books and it was just sitting their on my one of my book selves. What also made me want to read it was the fact it was my Philip Pullman and i had enjoyed reading his other books.

The category that this book is in is a book that teaches you about a different time in history. It fits under this one as it is set back in the days of scarecrows, servants, castles and brigands. I love this book as it is a humored and witty read that I really enjoye
Aicha Jwz
This book was weird. It wasn't bad or anything. I just couldn't find any moral in the story.

I found this book in a thrift shop. (4 books for 1 pound! Who would pass that out?) anyway, it was just, well--GAH! It's hard to understand!

It was a quick read, but considering I was also reading Hannibal Rising at the same time. It took me longer then it a average 3 grader to finish....

This isn't a book that changed a view in my life. It's about a scarecrow that came to life by lighting. (This makes me
Harun Harahap
Boneka jerami yang bertugas untuk menakut-nakuti burung tiba-tiba saja hidup setelah tersambar petir. Boneka jerami beserta Jack, pelayannya, berpetualang untuk menemukan Spring Valley. Boneka jerami meyakini sepenuh 'hati' bahwa tempat itu merupakan miliknya.

Namun, Keluarga Buffaloni mengklaim bahwa tempat itu milik mereka. Boneka jerami, Jack dan Nenek Gagak mencoba untuk menggugat hak kepemilikan tersebut ke Pengadilan. Berhasilkah ia memenangkan gugatan tersebut?

Silahkan menikmati petualanga
Eugenia
4/5 estrellas

Me ha encantado. Un libro divertido, pero con una linda moraleja. En algunas cosas me recordó a El Mago de Oz, pero es diferente. Sé lee rapidísimo y yo se lo regalaría a cualquier persona.
Además que cuando lo compré por sólo $40 en esta preciosa edición, tampoco esperaba mucho. Fue una gran sorpresa!! Es de esos libros que sin duda re-leería.
Indah
May 26, 2010 Indah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Pandolfo tua, memutuskan untuk membuat sebuah boneka jerami yang bagus. Kepala boneka jerami tersebut terbuat dari lobak padat, sapu kokoh sebagai tulang belakang, jerami, dan memakaikannya setelan wol tua. Dia juga menyelipkan sepucuk surat pendek di dalam kepala si boneka jerami. Kemudian, boneka jerami tersebut ditancapkan di tengah ladang gandum.

Suatu malam, saat hujan badai, dan petir melanda, si boneka jerami pun hidup. Ia terbenam di ladang berlumpur. Seorang anak laki-laki bernama Ja
Karin sentosa
Jan 21, 2010 Karin sentosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mimpi-magis
Si Boneka Jerami dan Pelayannya.

Boneka Jerami : bodoh, tapi sok tahu
Jack (pelayannya) : sedikit mengingatkanku pada Lyra Silvertongue yang pintar bicara. Mungkin tidak sehebat Lyra dalam memutarbalikan fakta (berbohong) tapi cukup untuk menyelamatkan Tuan Boneka Jerami yg bodoh ini.

plot:
Boneka Jerami dan pelayannya berpetualang kearah kemauan si Boneka Jerami, sebelum mereka menuju ke Spring Valley, tempat yang diyakini si boneka jerami adalah miliknya. Jack, pelayannya, yang tidak punya tempat
Perdani Budiarti
Memang butuh waktu dan mood yang pas untuk membaca buku ini karena sudah berulang kali aku baca dan berhenti di bab-bab awal karena nggak dapat feelnya.

Gemes sekaligus jengkel dengan boneka jerami yang ingin tahu dan mencoba segala hal yang baru tanpa memikirkan risikonya. Err, ya jelas dia nggak bisa mikir risiko karena dia kan...boneka, bukan orang #tepokjidat

Well. ternyata cukup menghibur sih membaca buku ini. Cocok untuk bacaan anak-anak sampai remaja yang suka dengan cerita petualangan. Wal
Madison
Nov 08, 2011 Madison rated it really liked it
I think that "The Scarecrow and his Servant" is a very good book even though it has no real meaning.

Jack is the servant's name and he helps the scarecrow out from a puddle of mud and the scarecrow has one leg missing so the scarecrow asked Jack to go and find another leg for him. Jack finds a leg for the scarecrow and brings it to him so Jack becomes his servant and they start going on adventures together.
Sally
Nov 20, 2011 Sally rated it liked it
I don't know why I picked up this book to listen to on my trip but I did. This is a take on Don Quixote with the Scarecrow being the one fight for right and his sidekick a young boy who helps him get what he needs to succeed. It's a sweet story--with a happier ending than Don Quixote.
Lorell
Nov 18, 2015 Lorell rated it liked it
A read a-loud with my older boys, enjoyable and silly, and offered many opportunities to discuss English vocabulary with them.
Frances
May 13, 2017 Frances rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Cross-posted from Nightjar's Jar of Books.

One night a scarecrow is struck by lightning and comes to life, and a great adventure ensues, as - along with his newly-hired (and very hungry) servant Jack - the Scarecrow hits the road in search of fame and fortune and, eventually, home... all while being pursued by bandits, birds, and all manner of other fearsome foes!

The short version of this review would be "a jolly romp, but a bit silly for my taste", but since that doesn't tell you much, I'll go i

Erica Olivera
Jul 10, 2017 Erica Olivera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On top of being a really adorable story, this book is filled with humorous moments and commentary on politics and society. The best way to describe this story is that it is akin to Don Quixote. You have the protagonist who is charismatic, confident, but naive and disillusioned; and his hapless but quick-witted sidekick who must constantly keep him out of trouble. The relationship between the characters also develops throughout the story and presents the Scarecrow and the servant, whose name is J ...more
Ashrith Rao
Jun 05, 2017 Ashrith Rao rated it really liked it
This book was so good, I am so glad that I stumbled upon this book. Many people could interpret the tone of this book in many ways, but I would like to share how i interpreted tone in this book. I believe tone is the way words are said and conveyed towards the reader. In this book I feel the character was trying to show with words that the scarecrow was not the smartest person. And also still try to show that this is not usual for a scarecrow to talk. I absolutely loved this book and I am so, so ...more
Noloyiso
Mar 14, 2017 Noloyiso rated it really liked it
This book was such a joy to read. It is such an easy and entertaining read. I am now a fan of the author and definitely want to read all of his books. I have already recommended the book to someone else and am planning to share it with my children and our reading club.
Amy
Aug 22, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
The Scarecrow and His Servant is an absurd story but it is fun and light-hearted even when it covers the occasional unpleasant topic. These unpleasant topics are not adult or grotesque in any way, but rather have the ability to be blunt on occassions. This is masked I suppose by the madness and jovial absurdness in characters, and also in the occassional sentimental and touching moments as well, all combining to make the story realistic (as it can be) within the created narratiuve.

The story star
Avery
Feb 24, 2017 Avery rated it it was ok
Actually, the first time I attempted reading this, I gave up half way through because I found it so boring ahah. I honestly don't think this type of book is for me.
Ira Book Lover
Nov 14, 2014 Ira Book Lover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-jalan-jalan
Sukaaaaaa...pakai banget :D

Ini si boneka jerami lucu banget sih, penuh pikiran positif tapi konyol. Kasihan Jack, si pelayan, tapi setidaknya dia mempunyai tuan yang sangat percaya dan menyayanginya.

Ngomong-ngomong kalau saya jadi Jack, saya akan pingsan melihat boneka jerami yang tiba-tiba hidup. Bonekanya tampangnya seram lagi. Tapi satu lagi contoh kalau kita tidak boleh menilai orang (atau benda) dari covernya saja. Si boneka jerami ternyata luar biasa baik hati. Meskipun dengan seenaknya di
Jun 27, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of “The Wizard of Oz,” Philip Pullman’s children’s novel, “The Scarecrow and His Servant” blends fantasy with adventure to create a curious story of friendship and ingenuity. When struck by lightning in a wheat field, a typical scarecrow with a broomstick backbone and a turnip head comes to life like Frankenstein—with the notable exception of the scarecrow’s decidedly benign and non-monstrous nature. The Scarecrow soon happens upon a young boy, Jack, whom he adopts as his servan ...more
an
Nov 29, 2012 an rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya, dunia-rhe-dulu
aku tidak punya apa-apa untuk ditawarkan kecuali kegembiraan dan kemuliaan. kadang-kadang kita mungkin akan merasa lapar, tapi kita tidak akan pernah kekurangan petualangan. bagaimana nak? (hlm. 12)

apa jawaban kau jika ada yang bertanya demikian? jika orang asing yang bertanya saja sudah buat mikir jawab na, apa lagi sesosok boneka jerami. tapi buat dia yang saangat mencintai petualangan dan tidak ada apa-apa lagi yang perlu dipikirkan mungkin langsung saja membalas pertanyaan tersebut. begitu h
Charlene
Jan 30, 2013 Charlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This is a very entertaining Middle Grade read. I really enjoyed Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series and "Sally Lockhart" books, so I do like his writing style and his inventive storytelling. The Scarecrow and His Servant is a mix of a fairy tale and an homage to Don Quixote with a sinister streak in the unknown motivations of the powerful Buffaloni family. Although the adventures the Scarecrow takes Jack on are rather sedate and sometimes just silly, Jack and the Scarecrow's schemes are ...more
cindy
Sep 15, 2010 cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Membaca novel anak ini, tidak bisa tidak mengingatkan kita pada novel anak klasik yang telah terbit puluhan tahun sebelumnya, Wizard of Oz. Tokohnya sama-sama sebuah orang-orangan sawah. Tetapi di tangan Philip Pullman, Mr. Scarecrow mendapatkan karakter yang benar-benar berbeda. Tuan Boneka Jerami sangat pemberani tapi naif, jujur dan apa adanya, mudah tersinggung tetapi berhati lembut, bahkan kepada burung-burung yang seharusnya menjadi musuh utamanya. Sedangkan sidekick-nya, Jack si pelayan, ...more
  • Manxmouse
  • Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story
  • The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen (Pals in Peril, #2)
  • Si Gadis Penakut Dan Cerita - Cerita Lain
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • More Naughty Little Sister Stories (Naughty Little Sister, #2)
  • The Kingdom Under the Sea and Other Stories
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • I Wanna Be Your Shoebox
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 5
  • The Woodland Folk in Fairyland
  • Bright Island
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • The Ballad of Mulan
  • Dua Belas Pasang Mata
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The 13 Clocks; and, The wonderful O
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...