Start by marking “The Map: Finding the Magic and Meaning in the Story of Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Map: Finding the Magic and Meaning in the Story of Your Life

The Map: Finding the Magic and Meaning in the Story of Your Life

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Intuitive counselor Colette Baron-Reid is renowned for helping people create the purposeful and authentic lives they desire. In this fascinating book, Colette hands you the "magic wand" of your own awareness so that you can begin to perceive your life as a wonderful adventure, and see yourself as an enchanted mapmaker. Enter a deep journey into your inner landscape and mee ...more
Published January 15th 2011 (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map

Lindsay
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
A nice book to begin with if you are not familiar with archetypes and visualization but for those who have read other books like 'Woman who runs with the Wolves' or the archetypes book written by Jung, you will be disappointed... there are a couple of archetypes and landscapes described in the book, again... and again, and again. Some exercises are even repeated too. Also, Colette is very self-centered... in every chapter you will read more about her (past) alcohol problem or self-promotion. Wha ...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for anyone going into or out of therapy, anyone who has any unhelpful habit they would like to break, and for anyone not sure of what to do with their life. If you're not into airy-fairy language about inner energy and poetic language that can be heavily metaphoric, you may find this book ridiculous because it is full of it. But, this metaphoric language can be incredibly helpful if the memories or experiences you are relating the principles too are too traumatic or difficult to rel ...more
Trine
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't finished this yet, but I am finding it difficult to fully focus on the content. I was quite put off by Baron-Reid's self-plugging in the beginning. If I like an author, I will go search out his/her other works; I don't need to be told that, by the way, they've also written this book and that book, and published this CD, and started up this company, which you might want to check out if you want to get the full value of what you're reading now. It feels a bit like shameless self-promotio ...more
Jennifer Kelly
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Like some other reviewers, I have yet to finish reading this and I started it last summer. After following Colette for over a year now, I've realized a couple things. I love her Oracle decks and have two including the ones that go with this book. I also enjoy her weekly Oracle readings on her YouTube channel. Something I noticed is her blog posts are written in the same convoluted manner as The Map. I am not sure if it is a bit stream of consciousness or what exactly, but her writing style doesn ...more
Lynne
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
The core of the book was something I understand, but giving names to past hurts would only make me relive it-I don't want to do that:) Her suggestion to use the magical allies that lay within myself seems to me to then be putting something or someone between God and myself. Again, I do not want to do that. She is passionate about her work and that comes through in the book.
Katie
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall a good start to a self help book and premise. The ideas offered are a new take, something to incorporate into the daily grind. The idea of the Goblin and other personalities within was fun. Giving different aspects names and titles makes our experiences and how we approach them all the more real.
Johanna
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious
I didn't quite appreciate all the effort that Colette put into describing everything. It would probably have been given a higher grade from me if the focus had been on the principle of reaching into oneself rather than spending most of the time describing characters. However, what I really liked, was the idea of writing "off" and doing this in a storytelling manner.
Kim
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an interesting re-interpretation of Jung's archetypes but I preferred 'Women Who Run With the Wolves' written in the 1990's. Colette's character/archetypes are a more modern take on the themes but I found that she had do too much explaining to make it work. There are moments of brilliance in the book so I gave it a good rating.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Map is amazing! Colette has the ability to transform complex psychological principles into digestible, magical, components that can aid anyone in the journey that we call life.

To read an interview with Colette, see the interviews section on my blog:

Rosalyn
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the cleaver way Colette explains how we travel through different times in our lives as pathways and the naming of these times such as the Bone Collector and so forth and so on. She is a fabulous teacher and author, easy to read and understand.
Dai
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cryptic.
Bernard Charles
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A creative take on my current spiritual journey. Very visual based so great for the creative type. Easy to understand so decent for the beginner or advanced in a new age lifestyle.
Sheena Smith
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because of the way she describes the adventure of life. She has wonderful analogies and suggestions to help the reader understand and improve ones thoughts and path of life.
Laura Annan
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved The Map. Great insights. Refer to the book when I need to find some clarity. Certainly recommend to anyone who likes to dive deep inside for answers and suggestions to move forward in life.
Star
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I tried to read it. Skimmed through most of it. Good detail with archetypes. I was more than impatient as it felt repetitive.
Linda White
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it
Bernard Charles
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rob Buckel
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
No real new information. Some creative ways to express it, but more often than not it seems forced.
Kirsten E. Mitchell
Feb 13, 2017
Diana Walker
Jan 02, 2015
Helen
rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2017
  • Outback Midwife
  • Experience Your Good Now!: Learning to Use Affirmations
  • Spirited: Connect to the Guides All Around You
  • The Dinner Party: From Creation to Preservation
  • Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love
  • Belief: Readings on the Reason for Faith
  • Walking on Eggshells: Navigating the Delicate Relationship Between Adult Children and Parents
  • The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse: A Breakthrough Program for Connecting with Your Soul's Deepest Purpose
  • Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within
  • Archetypes: Who Are You?
Colette Baron-Reid is an internationally renowned intuitive counselor, educator and best selling Hay House author who helps others recognize and connect with their own intuition, potential and purpose. Powerful motivational speaker, charismatic broadcast personality, and acclaimed performer, storyteller and recording artist, Colette uses her extraordinary spiritual gifts to empower her clients to ...more
More about Colette Baron-Reid...