Start by marking “The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides” as Want to Read:
The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides

The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  361 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Based on seasonal rhythms and ancient festivals, The Wildwood Tarot gift set draws inspiration from pre-Celtic mythology and shamanic mysteries. This stunning new tarot card deck introduces us to classic forest archetypes--including the Green Man and Woman, Archer, and Blasted Oak--and explains how to use them as a meditation system, divinatory oracle, or reference. Will W ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Sterling Ethos (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wildwood Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wildwood Tarot

Claudia Loureiro
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oracle-tarot
For me this is a properly pagan divination deck, each of the 78 cards is illustrated with inspiring, engaging, pagan imagery, beautiful and highly recommended. The book helps to interpret the cards as you would Rider Waite.
It is structured in a similar manner to the standard Rider-Waite Tarot deck but the traditional tarot suits of wands, cups, disks and swords are here replaced by bows, vessels, stones and arrows.
The artwork is borderline alchemical, but not overwhelming incryptic; very pure s
Trine
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan, divination
I've only had this deck for a short time, but I already find it very relatable, much more so than the traditional Rider-Waite decks. The imagery is stunning, and I like the substitutions that Ryan and Matthews have made - they resonate much more with me. I feel the cards could also be used in ceremony to signify the corners/elements/Watchers, or to draw upon the energy of a particular archetype or symbol.

I also find the book very helpful, though I haven't really seen any description of the Shado
Fiver
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
A book and divination system that suffers from the same hogwash and irrationality as most modern mysticism and occult nonsense. People who know anything about cold readings and the deliberately vague language used by astrologers and fortune tellers will only need to glance at the prose of the book to realize that it's swimming in the stuff. I have heard one ore two rational defenses of Tarot as a meditative guide or fun party game (far be it from me to say anything that would show disrespect tow ...more
Rhianon
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot, nonfiction
One of the best tarot decks I've encountered. Overall it has a very grounding and positive outlook to its artwork and interpretations, shifting focus away from negativity in whatever situation is presented.

I look forward to discovering a tarot deck that resonates with me more deeply than this one does. It was easy to get familiar with, to get in tune with and understand on an intuitive level, and it continues to amaze me with its accuracy.
Dora
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read the book from cover to cover taking in even the tiniest bits of information. I plan on reading the book once more and drawing some diagrams and making notes that may help me even more to connect to the deck itself. I loved the book and I have no doubt that it will bring me much help and inspiration!
PenelopeSpider
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2017
Beautiful. Have read the book - obviously, the cards will take some time to get to know. I have almost all Will Worthington's other decks but this one is my favourite. I missed out on the Greenwood Tarot, the first time round so was pleased to see this, although didn't get round to getting it til now, the third edition! I understand the book is slightly extended and the deck now has decorated backs, which the first edition didn't.

Been a fan of Mark Ryan for a long time. He is cogent and writes w
Kendra
Bk and deck
Megan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality, tarot
I got this book with the Wildwood tarot deck, naturally, and I love both the book and the cards. This deck has associations with the cycle of the seasons that I'd never seen before and it was such an illuminating way to think about the tarot.

The art is beautiful and ethereal and doing readings with these cards is pure joy!
culley
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, tarot
This is a great deck, my first. I found it to be very accessible and easy to extract uncanny metaphor from my first readings. I chose this deck after getting a reading in public at the local cannabis club. A therapist intern was there doing readings with three decks and I chose this one. The first card shown in a three-card spread was the fool. It set the tone for my appreciation of the tarot.

The overall layout of these cards are non-traditional. After some thought, I have decided that I really
Jude61
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I just go this book card set for my birthday and I am blown away by all that the author Mark Ryan has done. The art work on the cards is very good, simple detail, clear and I can see it all with out having to strain my old eyes. The book seems good too, I am just getting in to it and like what I am reading.

Edit to my first review.

Up on reading through the book, wow, way too environmental for me to try to use with cards. At this point they will just go on my shelves in my nice to look at tarot an
David Lee Phelan
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this tarot deck. The illustrations provide a real insight for me when I use them. The only other tarot I liked this much was the Golden Tarot by Kat Black. I walked into the store and was immediately taken in by the artwork on the boxes cover. After awhile I started finding (with Help) a deeper meaning in the images when putting forth questions that went beyond what the book said. I now work almost daily with the Wildwood and find it a great comfort in uncertain times. The book that comes ...more
Ashley Chew
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I didn't think I could like a deck more than my Wild Unknown. But I must say I love this deck!!
Imagery is beautiful. Each card tells a story(something missing from my Wild Unknown deck).
The book is great. I love the wheel of the year & earth centered theme. Detailed descriptions for all the cards except the court cards. They had less description than the others which was disappointing.
I love that the themes & descriptions are very relatable. All in all a great deck that I look forward
Briana
The Wildwood deck is steeped in mythology and shamanism; powerfully exuding its unique energy and magic. The colors are earthy and muted; the drawing, fine, offering a multitude of details to meditate upon. The illustrations move me to intense and intimidating feelings at times. The Wildwood deck certainly has five stars worth of magical wonder and curiosity. I hear its siren call now....I feel it beckoning. Perhaps nudging me to give it a five star rating. ;)
Ninon
Well.. I haven't tried the cards yet, but I find the book (on the cards) very, very confusing.
There are some of the cards, which I have no idea how to read, after having read the book..
..I suppose the best advice really is, as the one in the book: "read the book, meditate on the cards, then put the book away and do your own thing"..
..it is yet to be tested..!

The artwork is absolutely wonderful!!
Denialandavoidance
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

"Theoretical considerations of cause and effect often look pale and dusty in comparison to the results of chance."

I really do like the book, the cards of course are beautiful and rife with symbolism. the card meanings could have been a little more differentiated tho, you definitely need to be familiar with tarot before you jump into the wildwood
Greyer
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I adore the book. The art on the Major Arcana cards are beautiful! Some of the minor cards are not beautiful, rather comic book like
Alex DK
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52books-2015
Great guide to the accompanying tarot cards!
William Brook
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
I love this <3
Deanne Quarrie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my absolute top favorites!
Lamphung
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
amazing
Sue Mitchell
A beautifully illustrated deck, full of opportunities to develope your own insights and intuition. A lovely way to further your tarot reading and progress with your own psychic journey.
Helene
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful philosophy behind the works of the Tarot deck. Reading the book is just a peek behind the scenes. The deck now needs to reveal itself by me starting to work with it.
Simone Chandler
  • The Gilded Tarot
  • The Mythic Tarot
  • Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot
  • The Path of Druidry: Walking the Ancient Green Way
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Tarot Made Easy
  • Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
  • Around the Tarot in 78 Days: A Personal Journey Through the Cards
  • Osho Zen Tarot
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Nine Worlds of Seid Magic: Ecstasy and Neo-Shamanism in North-European Paganism
  • Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • The Faeries' Oracle
The multi-talented Mark Ryan first became famous as 'Nasir' in Robin of Sherwood (British cult-series from the mid-1980s).
He also starred in major musicals in London's West End (like 'Evita').

He has written for DC Comics, and for Harper Collins (The Greenwood Tarot), as well as online publisher ComicMix ('The Pilgrim').

He's also an accomplished swordfighter, responsible for the choreography of th
More about Mark Ryan