Start by marking “Essential Manners for Couples: From Snoring and Sex to Finances and Fighting Fair-What Works, What Doesn't, and Why” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From the man who closed the lid forever on the "toilet seat debate" in the New York Times bestseller Essential Manners for Men comes the follow-up book that paves the way for couples everywhere to fix relationship problems before they start.

Peter Post offers the secrets to a long and happy marriage or partnership—without psychoanalysis or prescription medication. The good
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Manners for Couples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Manners for Couples

Tatjana
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in relationships.
I was a little surprised to read the comments people made:
You probably know everything in the book, blah blah
If you would read this book you are probably already conscientious...

Yes. I'm a contentious person, in a great relationship; but I had a lot of a-ha moments reading this. I also started to see how truly rude people are to their partners. I'm pretty sure some of the people taking it for granted that they are doing the stuff in this book are not.

Stop and think for a moment the last time yo
Bryan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a therapist and most of my work is in the realm of mental health. That being said I also do a lot, privately and in the mental health field, in negotiating relationships and their pitfalls.

This book, while full of good information, is a rather.... lets say safe, if not common sense approach to negotiating some of a relationships most common pitfalls. While it has good information most of it isn't very in depth or comprehensive. It sort of glosses over the problem topics and gives some very
Cameron
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents and those poor kidless folks we call couples
Recommended to Cameron by: a parent
Parents should give this to their kids when they marry. Kids can give this book to their parents. Parents and(those poor folks who remain childless whom we call)Couples can give it to each other. Practical advice for keeping each other first in mind. I dont recall who gave it to us, but my Love and I both read it years ago and many of the ideas are still in play in our life.
Babibadidu
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Emily Post series book I've read and I'm falling in love with it. For me, a girl from a different country with different culture and background who married to an American boy, this book saved my life. It taught me how my partner might think or do and how other couples deal with their problems. I would definitely recommend this book to my family and friends.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think every couple needs to read this whether they're newlyweds or have been married for years. It really makes you stop and think about how your actions are affecting your spouse--things you didn't even realize could make a difference.
Nicole
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The anecdotes were charming, but the information wasn't anything that I hadn't heard before. Reading an article from the relationships section of a site like WebMD would have been quicker and more informative. I finished the book with the unsettling feeling like I had wasted my time.
The main message is be considerate and the book starts to drag a bit because it doesn't feel like there is much more to the book. Thinking before we act and speak makes a huge difference it's just that you can sum all 388 pages in one sentence.
Hannah
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has great advice and interesting ideas and facts
Bree
Apr 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Nothing ground-breaking, but a nice reminder of how to treat your spouse with civility
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great reminder of the little things that mean so much.
Don Incognito
You should read this at least once in case there's anything you don't already know, but if you're a conscientious person, you're probably already doing everything in it. A lot of the obvious.
Brenda
Apr 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is in a long-term relationship
I bought this book before I got married, just in case. Actually, it was pretty validating; but for others it may make them think about how they treat their partner in day-to-day life.
sarah
Apr 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Especially if you are prone to throwing down occasionally, you and your partner may not be aware of the other's boundaries. We like to drink heavily once every two months.
Brady Frey
Feb 14, 2011
Melissa
Jun 30, 2015
jamie
rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2012
Devon Abejo
Sep 03, 2015
Phyl
May 12, 2016

Peter Post, Emily Post's great-grandson, writes the "Etiquette at Work" column for the Sunday edition of The Boston Globe. He is the author of the best-selling book Essential Manners for Men, Essential Manners for Couples and co-authored The Etiquette Advantage in Business, which is in its second edition.
More about Peter Post...