Start by marking “Baby, Would I Lie? (Sara & Jack, #2)” as Want to Read:
Baby, Would I Lie? (Sara & Jack, #2)

Baby, Would I Lie?

(Sara & Jack #2)

Journalist Sara Joslyn travels to Branson, Missouri, to cover the trial of Ray Jones, a country-western star accused of rape and murder. She is also hoping to scoop her former employer, the sleazy tabloid, The Weekly Galaxy. All the rest is a comedic cornucopia... says Ronald C. Miller, writing for The Armchair Detective.
Audiobook, 40 pages
Published April 14th 2000 by Audio Partners (first published September 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Baby, Would I Lie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby, Would I Lie?

Start your review of Baby, Would I Lie? (Sara & Jack, #2)
Mike
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting little tale from Donald E Westlake in which he manages to take aim at and skewer tabloid journalists in particular, country music and its fans in general, and, to a lesser extent, small town justice.

The story goes something like this: In the bustling down-home entertainment mecca of Branson, Missouri one time big star Ray Jones is going on trial for the murder of a young woman who had, prior to her violent death, been employed at his concert theater. Ray is someone who's a few ye
Brenda Clough
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful.
Roy White
Occasional flashes of the swerving metaphors and goofy twists that make the Dortmunder novels so much fun, but not enough. Set in Branson, which is of course eminently mockable, this novel justcomes across as mean-spirited. The characters are all pretty horrible, and how many put-downs of fat people and fried food are you really interested in hearing?
Barbara
RetroHound
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm not too crazy about this book. It's rather hard on Branson, while in many ways it's easy to be hard on Branson, Westlake is not kind to the regular folks. We live only a couple hours away from Branson, but we never went there until we got a "free" two night stay just to listen to time-share pitch and found the town pretty interesting. A lot has changed in the town since this book was written, but I guess the people would look the same to Westlake.

Another thing about the book is that it's 10
E M
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Westlake and would have said he was so good that he couldn't write a unfunny book (Richard Stark doesn't count). Well, Baby, Would I Lie? proves me wrong. I couldn't finish it. It was more like a comic strip than a comic novel. Especially disappointing to someone who has delighted in his work for so long. Not recommended.
David Bradshaw
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Branson Mo. a fun tale
An Odd1
Country singer Ray manipulates reporter Sara and lawyers, Warren for criminal and Jolie. Guileless Cal will do anything for his rich pal. Will Sara get the scoop her boss/boyfriend Jack hopes for?
Oldshamus Pawson
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book some time ago. DEW is masterful a drawing you in and not letting go until the end.
Margaret
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun and the plot made sense. And the send up of country music is pretty fun. The song called “if it ain’t fried, it ain’t food” is priceless
David P
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery
For an entertaining escape, a lite book with outrageous twists of plot, it is hard to beat one of Westlake's wacky crime novels. This one is a fair sample; if such a book turns you on, try next "Dancing Aztecs" which insults practically every part of New York society, "Good Behavior" set in a New York convent, or "Brother's Keeper" set in a New York monastery. Yes, Westlake is a New Yorker who loves to spin tall tales about his city, especially tales involving an ingenious shlemazel crook named ...more
Maria
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is my second Westlake book. It took me awhile to get into it, but I'm glad I stayed until the end. Since I have lived in St. Louis for the past thirty-five years and, yes, I have visited Branson, I was interested in the setting. A lot I recognized, but just as much, I didn't. By the end, I was wondering why there was so little in the book about the murder and the murder victim, but by then, I had figured out this isn't a typical murder mystery. It was more about the press and country wester ...more
Lynn Pribus
Entertaining read from Donald Westlake (and read by him -- in 1994) about Ray Jones, country singer with his own theayter in Branson. Accused of murder and not terribly concerned about it as he also hassles with the IRS.

Enter Sara, former reporter for Worldwide Galaxy -- one of THOSE tabloids -- but now reporting for a respectable NYC weekly. Clever if rather rude depictions of visitors to Branson and the performers (example: the female country singers with Important Hair), but mostly a spoof.

Robin
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Trust Me on This.

Okay, you can trust me on this: read the other one. This one is good, but feels both forced and unnecessary.

The characters are mostly the same, the settings are new, the stories are pretty much exactly the same. There's a funny bit about Elvis, and some nice little wordplay on the hotel room number (222). And WAY more than you probably ever wanted to know about Branson, MO.

The murder mystery is good, but not great. It's okay as a follow up, but I found Trust Me on
Donna Davis
I find myself not reviewing many of Westlake's books, and I think it is because he isn't a new writer building a career. In fact, just at about the time I discovered him, he died. He was a very old man, and left behind a treasure trove of seriously hilarious tales of bad guys who can't do anything right...or at least, not much.

If you want a story with a moral, go away. If you want to laugh your butt off, get some Westlake. This is a great one, and most of them are. He may not be in print much lo
Korynn
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
A New York reporter arrives for a murder trial in which a beloved bad boy country singer stands accused and becomes enraptured by the spectacle of the American heartland. Soon enough the plot develops a villain in the dastardly tabloid (which our lovely reporter has a history with) going to any length to find coverage and her newfound protection of the accused country singer with an aim to find the true murderer. Numerous entertaining characters keep the book moving. Only the solution is not one ...more
Roslyn
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satirical page-turner from Westlake. The main character, Ray, is a famous country singer who's settled down to make money in Branson, MO. Unfortunately, all is not well in Branson. Not only is he on trial for murder, he's also in hot water with the IRS. Excellent satire on good old boys, tabloid newspapers, and celebrity craziness.
Matthew Martens
Another barrel fulla Westlaughs down the hatch for the book group I facilitate at the Beverly Public Library. A somewhat less whelming barrel than those guzzled in earlier Westlakes (all read for the same group, which loves this guy), but a sporadically satisfying zany caper nonetheless, and worth the two days it took to glug it.
Clare
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this was set in Branson and was a satire on the music business there as well as sensational journalism. I always enjoy Westlake's novels. This one was a little slower than some but pretty entertaining overall.
Denise M.
Sep 13, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
AKA: Alan Marshall, Alan Marsh, James Blue, Ben Christopher, Edwin West, John B. Allan, Curt Clark, Tucker Coe, P.N. Castor, Timothy J. Culver, J. Morgan Cunningham, Samuel Holt, Judson Jack Carmichael, Richard Stark, Donald E. Westlake
David
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a satirical look at the country music business
Pat
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not as good as other Donald Westlake books. Country singer accused of murder and a journalist who gets a story and more.
Good.
Olga Hebert
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book just did not do it for me. I picked it up because I used to enjoy Donald Westlake back in the '90's. Maybe I have matured since then or maybe the country music scene is just not for me.
Jane
Nov 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read
Angie
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable plot, not-so humorous characters.
Linda Watson

• Rum Punch
  • Comeback (Parker, #17)
  • Stick
  • Split Images
  • Pronto (Raylan Givens, #1)
  • Maximum Bob
  • 52 Pickup
  • Torsos
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Get Shorty (Chili Palmer, #1)
  • Out of Sight
  • Swag
  • Bandits
  • Tough Guys Don't Dance
  • Naked Came the Florida Man (Serge A. Storms #23)
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • God Knows
  • Losers: The Road to Everyplace But the White House
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more

Sara & Jack (2 books)
  • Trust Me On This (Sara & Jack, #1)