Start by marking “The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who..., #16)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who..., #16)

The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  6,763 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Jim Qwilleran and his feline companions Koko and Yum Yum get more than they bargained for when they begin to investigate several "accidents" on idyllic Peaceful Pear Island.
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by New Millennium (GB) (first published February 9th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast

James
Book Review
3+ out of 5 stars for The Cat Who Came to Breakfast, the 16th cozy mystery book in the "Cat Who" series, written in 1994 by Lilian Jackson Braun. Qwill and the cats head off the Breakfast Island for a little relaxation jaunt; however, the island is known by so many different names, everyone keeps steering him to different parts. Last count, it had 4 names and Qwill couldn't figure out what was going on... that is, until a boat blew up and created a little mischief. Qwill's mustach
Carol
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read: 10/97 I enjoy these books for some down time in reading. They are clean and hold my interest. I enjoy Qwill's comfortable relationship with Polly I keep waiting for something to happen or something better to come along, but this relationship is very convenient. The cat's are in full form in this book. Really enjoyed it.

The books in this series are always such a delight to read...relaxing, a way to escape into the world of Qwill and his cats, Koko and Yum Yum.

Second Read 03/13/18: Thi
Danny
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Ok, so I picked this up partly because I'm in charge of the Mystery/Adventure/Suspense area of my library and it behooves me to know more about the books in that section.

But also because there's this parody book called "The Cat Who Killed Lillian Jackson Braun," which I wanted to read. And I felt like I should read one of the books being parodied before I read the funny book.

I wasn't thrilled with this little mystery, though I guess I could see what people who DO like these books see in them. Ol
Rage
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been binging on this series, and you'd think at some point I'd get tired of Qwill and his cats and their antics, but I just don't!! I love them! this entry in the series takes place on a version of - I have to assume - Mackinac Island (because of the fudge). there's a lot of tension and strife between the new tourists, the "native" families, and the wealthy people who spend their summers in mansions on the island. the big new hotel is dogged by all kinds of unpleasant incidents, including a ...more
Sue
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, usa
A big resort has been built on Pear Island, aka Breakfast Island, aka Grand Island and Qwill for one is not happy about the changes. Qwill's friends Nick and Lori Bamba are now on the island running a B&B. Nick contacts Qwill because he's concerned about a series of recent accidents and wonders if Qwill would be willing to come over and snoop around. He goes - under the guise of reporting about the island and the resort for the Newspaper - and, of course, life is not dull during his 2 week ...more
Mrs.Y. Yeingst
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books--the main character is funny and really understands how cats think. I also enjoy these stories because they are mysteries, my favorite genre.
Becky
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People who flock to Mackinac Island and enjoy mysteries will enjoy this tome. Though named differently, the mysteries take place on Breakfast (or Pear, or Grand, or Pirate, or ....) Island. The name changes depending on the type of resident. There are a lot of similarities between this fictitious island and Mackinac Island.

Fellow "The Cat Who..." fans already know the main characters and what they are usually up to. If you've been paying attention, Qwill and the siamese reside in a different pla
Courtney
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not thrilled about this one. It seemed like they put the majority of the mystery solving in the last two chapters of the book and the rest of the chapters galavanting around breakfast island. However, the book did have potential, and since it was my first cat who book I'd be willing to give the series another shot before I doom them to the will not read shelf
Una Tiers
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites. Qwilleran leaves Moose County (400 miles north of everywhere) but a case of regulars are also temporarily relocated. Another vacation for Polly seems to make room for another adventure.
Amy "the book-bat"
I would give this one a 3.5
Once again, Qwill and the cats are away from Pickax, so there were a lot of new-ish characters. Some we have met before, but they had larger roles this time around. A lot of seemingly unrelated "accidents" catch Qwill's attention and he investigates (of course).
Mary Tonks
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be careful when a big corporation tries to "improve" a beloved vacation destination!
Gloria
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 18; detective; mystery stories; who done it?; cats
Qwill is not thrilled with the development happening on Breakfast Island. But when Nick and Lori Bamba request him to come and stay at Domino Inn, with his cats!, how can he refuse?

Qwill is also intrigued by the number of accidents that have happened on the island. Is it because of the natives, those people who have survived through thick and thin?; the rich club members, those who have been used to doing whatever?; or someone else?

His investigations allow him to meet several different classes o
Carol
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not read any of the "cat" books before, and this is number 16 in a series, so maybe I am missing something. A friend gave me this book, and she loves the series. The cat appears to be psychic, while Qwill, the protagonist, tries to figure out the cat's messages to solve the "crime".
In this case there are several potential crimes (3 missing lighthouse guys who simply disappeared 100 years ago, and attacks on an island resort which result in murders? or accidents?).
A quick wrap-up at the e
Urban Hermit
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING. The action, such as it is, takes place before the story begins. Nothing happens for 200-odd pages-- unless you count bike rides and walks, lunches and breakfasts as compelling action.

Drivel. Spare yourself.

In addition we have an author and a main character who-- in spite of what we might expect--know nothing about cats, their care and feeding,their behavior. We see general statements about care and management of feral cats which is good, but when it comes to specific cases we see our ma
Sally
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the weaker ones in the series. The setup is good-Qwilleran agrees to stay in a B&B on an island that is being transformed into a big resort, complete with fancy hotel, tee shirt stands, fudge shops, and carriage rides. He’s asked to see if he can find out whether all of the bad accidents on the island are merely that—and these range from food poisoning to arson to murder. Unfortunately the solution is something that a rich young woman overhears and tells Qwilleran. The end.
Linda Dezenski
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are a vacation compared to the high intensity FBI Profiler/Serial killer books I usually read. I like a man who loves his cats. Somehow he always finds new ways for Ko ko to communicate the clues about unsolved murders.
Melissa
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author, admittedly. I had a hard time getting into this book and found 3/4 of it very slow moving. Very few guiding clues along the way for the book to be suddenly tidied up in the last few pages. Struggled to finish this one.
Amy Miller
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this series! I’ve read them all and rate them all a 5. If you like quirky mysteries this is one you should cover. Jim Qwilleran is my kind of detective ... add in a couple of clever cats & what you have is involved, funny and interesting.
Piepie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun mystery! It doesn't take place in Pickax; the setting instead is an island called Breakfast Island, Pear Island, a whole myriad of names. The book culminates in a thunderous hurricane, as well as Koko (of course!) solving a puzzling mystery...
Terri Lytle
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having had the day off from work, and being sick as a dog (sorry KoKo and Yum Yum!!), I had nothing to do but finish my last book of the year- and it was a good one! I can't get enough of these "Cat Who" books! Must collect the whole set!
Sally
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a reread for me, prior to record keeping. I love Qwilleran and his cats. I did not like the development of the island or that an islander was involved in the murders, but that is okay. Maybe because I picked it up and put it down so much, I did not enjoy it as much as I remembered.
Ethan Hulbert
Really enjoyed this one. I'm pretty big on island mysteries and this one had a lot going on in particular.
Kat
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of the same mystery set up of Qwill and his cats. I like the format and that's why I keep reading.
Catherine
Love all the Cat Who books, this was just a little too slow in understanding Koko.
Raluca
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the last one.
Ann Mclellan
I liked #15 and #17 better.
Booklover
I don't feel this is one of the better of the series.

Polly visits Oregon, Qwilleran investigates the strange occurrences on Pear Island.
Jon
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, Yum Yum, & Qwill do it again! This time they investigate the mysterious goings-on at a local island resort. The story wasn't as tight as the top tier LJB but still a charming read.
Athimar
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only a few novels removed from The Cat Who Moved a Mountain, Ms. Braun decides to take up the conservationism VS. commercialism debate once more. This time, Jim Qwilleran (Qwill to his friends), who leans toward conservationism, takes his two Siamese cats on a two week trip to Breakfast Island a.k.a. Pear Island a.k.a. Grand Island a.k.a. Providence Island. Entrepreneur Don Exbridge - not exactly a villain but definitely vilified - has opened a resort on the island and it is quickly being commer ...more
Loretta
HE CAT WHO CAME TO BREAKFAST
By Lilian Jackson
Read by George Guidall
4****

Qwilleran, Koko, and Yum Yum take a little boat ride to Breakfast Island to spend a couple of weeks 1Cvacation 1D at the request of his friend, who along with his wife and children, are owners of bed and breakfast cottages for tourists. However, a run of strange events which has caused food poisoning, a drowning and a bad fall to tourists have started to happen on Breakfast Island, And, Roger, the owner, feels it may be sabo
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Came to Breakfast #17 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:05PM
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“What a touching domestic scene! I suppose the demographers have you classified as an untraditional family: one man, two cats.” “One man, two animal companions,” he corrected her.” 0 likes