Start by marking “Women of the Underground: Music: Cultural Innovators Speak for Themselves” as Want to Read:
Women of the Underground: Music: Cultural Innovators Speak for Themselves

Women of the Underground: Music: Cultural Innovators Speak for Themselves

In a series of 20 candid interviews with radical women musicians and performance artists, author Zora von Burden probes the depths of how and why they broke through society's limitations to create works of outstanding measure.
Published September 1st 2010 by Manic D Press (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Women of the Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of the Underground

Start your review of Women of the Underground: Music: Cultural Innovators Speak for Themselves
Jonathan Duran
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading Zora von Burden's newest book, `Women of the Underground: Music", I was struck by a few unavoidable facts, such as:

1. My music knowledge is not nearly as comprehensive as I had liked to imagine.
2. There is a regrettably huge dearth of books focusing on women artists, especially avant-garde and/or groundbreaking women artists.
3. Ms. Burden had access to some truly legendary artists, not just women artists, but artists in general.

Allow me to elucidate that last point. This is a rare
Troy S
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great subjects, boring questions. I am actually charmed by smaller publications having typos and misspellings, but misspelling half of the names of the other artists? C'mon!!
Khalia
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only woman I had certainly been aware of before reading this book was Lydia Lunch. I think I may have seen an article featuring Pauline Black. I originally borrowed this from the public library. After losing that copy, I bought one from Amazon. It's a brilliant concept with thought-provoking interviews. Many of the women came from conventional origins. Nonetheless, the mainstream just never seduced them no matter what the reward. I think it's honorable to be an artist and continue to create ...more
Oriana
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-work
Super-cool, actually. Interviews with obscure, semi-obscure, and kinda-well-known female musicians. Included are (excuse my terrible name-recall) the chick from White Zombie, the girl from the Butthole Surfers, the lady from Southern Culture on the Skids, a whole bunch of performance artists from NY and Cali, Nina Hagen (whoa, she is crazy), and a whole bunch more that I am mad I forgot.
Erin Tuzuner
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
A short primer to women that are unlikely to be on the cover of a magazine. I think that's the point.
Mills College Library
781.66092 W87253 2010
Jan 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interviews with ladies like Jarboe, Lydia Lunch, and Moe Tucker. Enjoyable read.
Erica
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading the interviews from such incredible artists like Karen Black and Wanda Jackson.
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been a wild read. It's more of a verbal history from the artists point of view. So detached, all the personality is stripped from the interviews.

Xoe
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Broken Barbie
  • Bitten (Otherworld, #1)
  • Confessions
  • Revenge of the She-Punks: A Feminist Music History from Poly Styrene to Pussy Riot
  • Purgatorio (La Divina Commedia #2)
  • Petite mort
  • Jesus' Son
  • Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground
  • The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
  • Belle de jour
  • The Last Narco: Inside the Hunt for El Chapo, the World's Most Wanted Drug Lord

News & Interviews