Start by marking “The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who..., #18)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who..., #18)

The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  5,121 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
In this latest installment, prizewinning reporter Jim Qwilleran -- along with his lovable Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum -- solve a mystery that arises when a local banker dies under suspicious circumstances, leaving behind a flashy young widow, an unfinished house-restoration project, and a trail of clues as elusive as a cat burglar in the night...
Published March 1st 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published December 28th 1995)

James
Book Review
4 of 5 stars to The Cat Who Said Cheese, the 18th book in the "Cat Who" cozy mystery series, published in 1995 and written by Lilian Jackson Braun. Braun had a solid edition with this one, full of great characters, small town charm and a tasty murder or two. The cat are at it again with a flair for different cheeses... and after all, when the cat's away, the mice will play. I enjoyed this book, and it's one of the better ones in the series. The Great Food Expo hits Pickax, and we
Anastasia
The Cat Who Said Cheese by Lilian Jackson Braun is the 18th book in the Cat Who mystery series. A bomb explodes in the Pickax Hotel killing a housekeeper and meant for a mysterious stranger.Pickax is holding a Food Festival and Koko and Yum Yum have developed an interest in cheese. With their help, Quill investigates.This is the first book that I have read in this series and I loved it. I liked how Quill interacts with his cats, and the way they lead him to clues. A lighthearted charming mystery ...more
Barbara ★
I don't usually read this series but I needed a book with cheese on the cover. Do you know how difficult that is to find? Anyway, this one wasn't as annoying as the other one I read. I'm a cat person and these books are still annoying. I can't imagine a non-cat person sitting through a reading of one of them.

The mystery was not suspenseful so much as enticing with it's little tidbits. I tend to enjoy cozy mysteries but all the "town talk" really annoyed me in this one. Very little of it had any
Katie
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Alison Lurie writes that some artists have the ability to create "what J. R. R. Tolkien called a 'secondary world'--a fully imagined universe, as consistent as our own or possibly more so." This gift is not always given to those of the first rank, and as she points out, "can even coexist with a level of skill that would keep its possessor out of most galleries today."

Braun has a chair near the head of the high table on the mediocre-author dais where they create those secondary worlds. What's wr
Sandra Knapp
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of a few of these books that I've read, and I have found all of them, so far, to be easy and light reading, but thoroughly enjoyable. When I'm ready to "come down" a bit after reading a few heavy, gritty novels, it's nice to find something delightful and fun to read, and that is exactly how I describe Lillian Jackson Braun's Cat mysteries. Always lots of twists and turns, and I am never convinced that either of the cats have helped in the least, but it's always fun trying to catch th ...more
Cindy
Novelty read, interesting enough so I'd read author again. Non-offensive. Narrated well by George Gwydell.
Kirsti
The Cat who said cheese! Why is Koko reacting to the names of different cheeses? Because they all sound like the names of whomever it was behind the boming of the hotel! It's the food explo week, and foodies like Qwill are out in force to sample some of the new delicacies being offered at new stores funded/backed by the K fund. Among them is Sip and Nibble, a store specializing in cheeses and other small snacks. Qwill meets a woman by the name of Onnosh at his summer cabin, and slowing the reaso ...more
Monica
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m sure my reviews of Lilian Braun’s books are no longer needed. I’m well into this series and still thoroughly enjoying these little cozy mysteries. They certainly follow a formula, yet are each unique enough to make me want to keep reading until the very last book.

In this one...Qwill, Koko, and Yum Yum are knee deep in murder...and cheese. And if this review isn’t cheesy enough to make you want to read this series, I don’t know what is :)
Stephan Regulinski
Some cute characters, nicely developed, weak story line, but consistent development and pacing. Overall, you read this only if you find it on the seat next to you on the plane. Otherwise, buy something else.
itchy
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w
very nice: multiple food topics researched for this book
plus, another character (or two) to look forward to
Debbie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to meet all the characters in this series. This is surely a favorite series of mine
Sue
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, usa
The town of Pickax is preparing for the Great Food Explo with a large number of food events and new stores highlighted. The kick-off is marred, however, by an explosion at the hotel destroying several rooms and resulting in one death and some injuries. A few days later there is a robbery and murder at the florist shop. Qwill and the cats investigate.
It has been quite awhile since I've read one of this series; perhaps that contributed to my enjoyment of this one, knowing the series to be light
Knit Spirit
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ce n'est pas très original mais encore une fois c'est avec joie que j'ai retrouvé toute la troupe du comté de Moose. Dans ce nouvel opus, Qwill mène l'enquête pour retrouver le poseur de bombe qui a fait exploser la façade du nouvel hôtel entraînant la mort d'une employée.
Entre les histoires de nourriture (du pâté et du fromage essentiellement) et le mystère à résoudre, je ne me suis pas ennuyée une seconde à la lecture de ce livre. C'était un peu court mais très intense.
En bref : à lire d'urg
Henrietta
Feb 15, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVE Lillian's books! I am a bit of an addict!
Piepie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books! They are simple and clever and I can dash one off in a matter of hours - just as I did tonight, one cool fall evening. September/October in Pickax is a season for foodies - local honey; a pasty contest; and a cheese tasting at Qwill's converted apple barn with a mysterious performance by Koko. It was fun to read!
Mary Meyer
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Braun always does a good job with her stories. This one has Qwell trying to find out who killed a fellow in a fishing lodge and a florist. It isn't how you would expect. In the meantime, Polly takes a lesser role in this story while others of the towns people are developed. A pleasant story without a terrorizing plot which is nice these days.
Maryf
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all these books. I'm rereading the whole series in order. I've forgotten some of the endings it's been so long. This one I remember the story but couldn't recall the outcome. This one had a good ending and I learned something about bees as well.
Lesley Looper
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Another light, easy read that hit the spot during a time when I feel like I have a full plate. It's fun filling in books in this series, too. The story line wasn't one of my favorites in the series, but the cast of characters is familiar and comfortable.
Amy Miller
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this series! I’ve read them all and rate them all a 5. If you like quirky mysteries this is one you should cover. Jim Qwilleran is my kind of detective ... add in a couple of clever cats & what you have is involved, funny and interesting.
Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman
Qwill and his cats solve several little small town mysteries in "The Cat Who Said Cheese." Lilian Jackson Braun does a wonderful job juggling mysteries as she sets up newspaper columnist Jim Qwilleran to unravel a series of events and of course to solve another murder in his quiet little town.
M Harris
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
I still don't think the cat action in this book is interesting enough to turn it from a plainly human mystery to one involving animals. However, all the different mysterious ongoings were tied together pretty well in the end.
Terri Lytle
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books- I seriously can't find fault with them, as they are always a fun and quirky read. Qwill is one of my favorite literary characters, and I love Koko and Yum Yum as well!
Elizabeth
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Myself
0-399-14075-1
Lori
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been away from the series for some time but diving right back in was easy & fun. I love these familiar characters.
Becky
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've reached the point in this series where I am no longer re-reading books I read years ago. This is officially the first new-to-me "Cat Who..." mystery, and I enjoyed it just as much as the ones I felt such nostalgia for. This one centered on a "Food Explo" (yes, "Explo," not "Expo"), where cheese and pasties are featured! Oh, how I love cheese and pasties! If anyone was unsure whether the fictional Moose County was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, this offers fairly solid proof. Having grown up ...more
Joanne
This was my first taste of Braun's "The Cat Who..." series. It was a light entertaining read with lots of cats, a variety of cheeses and an interesting mix of characters.
Katie
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to read this series when I was in high school. It is actually a quite wholesome and non-violent mystery series. I mean, there are violent crimes, but you never get the gruesome details, only the emotional fall out. The stories are based around Jim Qwilleran and his two Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum. Qwill is a retired crime reported from the city who moved to the small town of Pickaxe in rural Moose County after inheriting a large fortune. Most of the fortune he put into a fund that is ad ...more
JBradford
Reviewing an earlier volume from the same series, I commented that this series unlike most others can be read in almost any order, because the plot is in the novel rather than the series — and I guess that is true, because that other book was the first of the series and this one (#18) may very well be the last (although I had read one or two of the others earlier). Interestingly enough, Qwilleran gets a clue in this novel as to why Koko is so much more intelligent than other cats. The clue is th ...more
Gloria
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 18; detective; mystery stories; who done it?; cats
The Klingenschoen Foundation is holding a Food Explo. An asocial woman is seen staying in the Pickax hotel, and everyone is wondering about her. Qwill meets her at his beach house and while he is gone to get ingredients, a bomb blows up the hotel, killing a local girl. The bomb was in the woman's room after someone left flowers and a gift (presumably the bomb was in the gift). The woman flees after hearing the report on the radio and goes Down Below.

Qwill is saddened that he will not get his me
Jerry
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of better entries in light fluffy "Cat Who" series...

We've read three or four of Lilian Braun's ever so popular series about the fictional small town of Pickax, located 400 miles north of everywhere in Moose County. There, writer Jim Qwilleran is a featured columnist twice a week in the local rag. "Qwill" is a wealthy man about town who is a good hearted friend to most everyone, including his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, who are supporting characters in all these stories. Usually ther
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Said Cheese #19 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 10:07PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
“The cranks are always with us,” Qwilleran said, “hiding behind trees, peeking around corners, going about in disguise, and plotting their selfish little schemes.” 0 likes