Start by marking “Four Wives” as Want to Read:
Four Wives

Four Wives

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  464 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
In Wendy Walker's brilliant debut, the lives of four wives and mothers intertwine and collide in a tale of suburban angst among outrageous wealth.

On the outside, it appears as though Love Welsh, Marie Passetti, Gayle Beck and Janie Kirk lead enviable lives, with marriages to handsome, successful men; bright, happy children; and homes right out of Architectural Digest. But
Published February 19th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Four Wives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Wives

Sarah Sammis
Four Wives, the debut novel by Wendy Walker hits bookstores next month. I was fortunate enough to be offered an advanced reading copy for review. I don't normally say this in a review but: PRE ORDER YOURS NOW! The book is that good.

Four Wives pokes fun at Ira Levin's Stepford Wives but without the robots. Chapter Thirty is even called "Stepford Wives." But it's more than just a well-written parody about the bedroom communities of the upper middle class. These Stepford wives manage to escape thei
Kristin
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After I read the inside cover of this book, I thought it sounded interesting and mysterious. I was so excited to start it.

The first few chapters were a little slow. I actually caught myself thiking about other things while reading which is a never a good sign. Enter the lives of the four wives: Janie, Love, Marie and Gayle. Each one has their own mysterious life in the "manicured lawns of Huntington Ridge", although I found each life becoming more depressing than the last.

One thing I just have
Jen
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-chic-lit
Four very different suburban wives living very different lives but all drawn together by their children and close proximity in the burbs. Love, a former child prodigy hiding a secret that is causing physical unexplained pain. Janie, mother of four who seems to have the perfect life but is dissatisfied with everything. Marie, a divorce attorney who just can't seem to find the spark for her own life but is captivated by her clients and intern. Gayle, the richest of them all hiding an abusive marri ...more
Michele
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just read Big Little Lies, it's a much better version of this book.
Sabrina  Brawley
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sabrina by: Breeni Books
Trade paperback ARC.

Wendy Walker’s debut novel about the secret desires and discontent within well-to-do Hunting Ridge is a story of awakening and resolution. Four Wives explores the uncertainty and frustration that accompanies a stagnant marriage after children and responsibilities take precedence over romance. As the storylines of each friend, neighbor and colleague intertwine, each woman recognizes personal challenges that must be overcome.

Janie Kirk is the key antagonist. She is unhappy with
Ruth
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I figured this would be light chick-lit about four women whose lives were intertwined. While I was right about the intertwined lives, it was not light reading; it was a dark book in a lot of ways. Who are the four wives?

Marie used to work at a major law firm in New York. Now she has a part-time divorce practice in the suburbs and specializes in representing fathers in custody disputes. Her husband is an attorney also, but he hates his job and is spending more and more time on the golf course. Ma
Andrea Vrtikapa
Take a peek beyond the perfectly-manicured lawns of Hunting Ridge. For four wives who live there, all is not as it seems…

Former child prodigy Love Welsh can't seem to banish the demons that ended her career. Now a devoted mother and wife, her quest for a resolution to her secret past will place at risk the life she has created. Her neighbor, part-time divorce attorney Marie Passeti, struggles with a difficult case and her unexpected feelings for the young intern working at her side. In a mansion
Angela
Fabulous account of four distinct housewives in Hunting Ridge, an elite suburban community, where wealth and good looks rule the day.

Love, a child prodigy, hides a secret from her past that leads to a mysterious illness, crippling her body and soul.

Marie, a brash lawyer, struggles to remain professional with a young intern who adores her while her husband plays golf in his free time.

Gayle, a descendant of an old wealth family, copes with her tyrant husband by taking prescription drugs and confi
Jlawton
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book was intriguing. The super short chapters made the stories fly by and reminded me of the style of Dan Brown. However, I felt the story became too trite. Maybe I have been reading too many female thirty something stories lately. The lawyers case defineatly gave me perspective on true love and the personal sacrafices that some individuals are willing to make. I don't know if I would be able to keep that kind of a secret for so long. It also reminded me of a CDI episode wh ...more
Vanessa Sider
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book! It was about reality and romance. It was a book telling you that the real world isnt all fun and games. It also told you that people dont always last in relationships. It have a selection of genres such as Drama Romance and real life. This is the only book i have read by Wendy Walker but i will read more . she is a very descriptive writer. The only downfall about this book is there are many swear words and parts that are not appropriate for un-mature people. I would re ...more
Ashley
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with a depressing look at suburbia. Being a city dweller myself this book scares the heck outta me as demoonstrating everything I see to avoid in my life. I know marriage is not perfect, but these characters present what I would like to think of as the worse possible outcomes ever! Despite a plot line that I hope most can't relate to, the book is actually a fun weekend read. It is most certainly something you can pick up and put down. It also doesn't require much afterthought. Chic-li ...more
Marisa
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, it's not really in keeping to its book cover, the cover looks like a typical chick lit, this was a bit darker, had a bit more intelligence. Don't misunderstand it is about four wives facing mid life crisis in all there own ways and facing adversity within there marriages and families, which is all chick lit, I'm just saying the story back story is a bit more advanced then the light and beach breeze it's a bit more provocative in the writing style. It was a good read.
Kathy
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I got this on the bargain table a while ago and have had it on the back burner ever since. I wasn't sure I would really like it as it looked sort of treacly (is that a word?) to me. I actually liked the writing and the interwoven story of four discontent housewives. Some of it was sort of silly, but I liked the voice given to each character and the efforts to make them distinct. An average book for this particular genre.
Karrine Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
.....The first chapter didn't draw me in, but once I realized that Wendy Walker's novel encompassed the lives of four distinct characters and I was able to get them all straight, I really enjoyed this novel. I read review's claiming that the story wasn't ’believable’ or that is 'depressing'.

I found it completely the opposite. Yes, the women all face struggles in their lives and marriages, however, it rings true in many places... (full review on blog)
Michelle Meckley
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christine, Julie, Jean, Anica
Absolutley I loved this book!! I would reccommend for all of us 30 something wives/mothers who feel the spark has left the building this is a story about 4 "real" marriages with real issues and the charaecters are human and deal with things in a human/flawed way

pass this one one to all your friends !! Enjoy
Kristin
Overall, Four Wives is a good first effort. The characters are well-developed, and the story—though not necessarily original—will keep you interested. All that’s really missing is a touch of wit to take off a bit of the cynical edge.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Christina Blake

Four wives is a book about four unhappy women. That is it plain and simple. The chapters are short and the book flips from character to the next. If you read a little at a time it is hard to keep the characters straight in your head at first. It took me almost two weeks to make myself finish this book.
Paulette Gerkovich
It's rare for me to pay for a book, and find it so unreadable, that I give up after 10 pages. This was that book. Formulaic (not even in a fun way) and poorly-written, I just pretended $10 fell out of my wallet so I could save myself the embarrassment of admitting I bought this. Oops! Just admitted it!
April
I picked up this book because I saw a review in the CT section of the Times about it and it was by a local author. Couldn't get through the book as it was so trite, boring and an utter waste of time. Awful!
Brenda
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never really got into this book. It was a really SLOW read but I want to find out what happened to the characters. In the end what happened was very predictable. The author could have told this story in about half the book.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this, I really did. But she spends tons of time expositing Deep Thoughts and that got old really fast. I kept reading solely to figure out what Love'a problem was, and then I was almost done anyway, so I finished.
Cliona
Sep 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
RNNC December book - what a disappointing read!
It was this bad - I had about 20 pages to go and it sat on my bedside locker for 2 nights..........
The characters were poorly developed and even by the end of the book - I could hardly remember who was who.....
Missahaarstad
The beginning was a bit hard to keep straight, but the story became much more cohesive and easier to follow after a few chapters. Overall, a light, fairly easy read. Liked the characters and the plot wasn't crazy outrageous.
Lesley
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and sad story about the lives of 4 women. Author lives in New Canaan, CT so I couldn't help but think the story was based on or at least influenced by her life here.
Julie
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beach read...kind of soap opera-ish but a twisted ending
Tyra
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable debut novel. I liked the fact that the story focused on all 4 women and their relationships.
Carla
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
slow read...didn't care for these people.
Christy
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read up till page 45. Sooooo slow. Zzzzz....
Andrea
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summer read.
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK story, but pretty raunchy. And sad if this is really how suburbanites live...
  • The Infidelity Pact
  • Unholy Domain (PeaceMaker, #2)
  • The Smart One
  • Witch School: First Degree: Lessons in the Correllian Tradition
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • An A to Z Walk in the Park (Animal Alphabet Book)
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • The Tumbleweed Dossier
  • Lauren's Saints of Dirty Faith (Dirty Girls, #3)
  • What's Under the Bed?
  • Mike, Mike & Me
  • At a Loss For Words: a Post-Romantic Novel
  • The Marriage Diaries
  • Painted Dresses
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Book of Nonsense (Forbidden Books 1)
Wendy Walker is a former attorney and investment banker in Fairfield County, Connecticut who began writing while at home raising her three sons. Her debut thriller, All Is Not Forgotten, has become an international bestseller and was optioned for film by Warner Brothers with Reese Witherspoon set to produce. The paperback will be released July 18, 2017, followed by her second thriller, Emma In The ...more
More about Wendy Walker...