Start by marking “The Carpenter's Lady” as Want to Read:
The Carpenter's Lady

The Carpenter's Lady

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  849 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A classic novel from New York Times bestselling author Barbara Delinsky, The Carpenter’s Lady is the poignant and romantic story of two people seeking to rebuild their lives. After a painful divorce, a successful writer leaves New York for New Hampshire, where she hopes to mend her broken heart. But when she meets a compellingly enigmatic carpenter, a new love begins . . .
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Carpenter's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carpenter's Lady

Susannah
Dec 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one
Shelves: romance, reviewed, ugh
Yeah, no.

This book is a re-issue of an edition that was first published in the early 1990s, but originally the story itself was written and published in 1983. It seems rather sad to look back through the window of time and wonder, is this what passed for acceptable romance twenty to thirty years ago? Really? If so, no wonder this genre has the reputation it does. This book is really, really horrible. I couldn't finish it - and that's saying something. I feel compelled to warn readers about certa
Mary-Megan
I think that most of my problem with this novel comes from judging a book written in 1983 by a 2017 standard. Times and writing were different back then. Still, certain things rubbed me the wrong way. The only reason anything happened between Debra and Graham was because he was the only person she had any interact with. Sure she saw people in town, but they were more or less the only characters in the book (aside from phone conversations). So was it true love or just an attraction do to proximit ...more
Dyana
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an early Barbara Delinsky romance novel. It is well-written fluff and a fast read and I liked it - guilty, guilty! Debra Barry is a newly divorced (cheating husband) soap-opera script writer who moves from New York to the New Hampshire countryside to start over. Graham Reid is a successful architect who had moved to New Hampshire many years earlier to work with his hands as a carpenter because his ex-wife had destroyed his relationship with his daughter. Debra buys an old house that need ...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book's emotion and adventure. Extremely delightful!

Am very happy that I gave the premise of 'romantic novel' a chance. The setting descriptions were so vivid and exciting, I couldn't put it down and if it weren't for a paying job, this story would have ravenously been devoured in one setting...(-:

It's all about taking second chances on happiness. I'm all too aware that this can only happen after you break free from the chains of previous relationships and heartaches. Break free from p
Bonnie
Mar 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book? My comments mirror those of people who said they can't believe this passed as romance in the 1980s. I had the same visceral reaction to this book as I did to Fifty Shades of Grey. Rape as a sensual come on? Seriously? Jealousy as attractive?This book is about a woman who at first appears like she's going to be gaining some long-lost independence. I tend to like books where somebody breaks out of their preconceived mold and tries a new life on their own. But that i ...more
Cindy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
This was a somewhat 'fluffy', romance filled with real life issues kinda book! I particularly enjoyed the aspect of remodeling an old home (with the hunky carpenter)!!! I've been working on getting all my books on shelves in my home. I believe that I read this book already several years ago. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book this time.
Debbie George
Predictable but I adore Barbara Delinsky!
Lindsay Nelson
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, feel-good
It was a nice, easy read. A little smutty, but that's what makes it good.
Diana
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Would love to see the house the Carpenter's Lady renovated. Great, great read!
Freda Larimer
Good story line. Too fluffy for me. My least favorite of her books I have read.
Mary Gramlich
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you move forward do you have to leave your past behind?

Debra Berry has said goodbye to her cheating husband, over bearing family and hello to a life that will be one she creates. Debra has so many possibilities of where to go from here, especially with the new house she just bought and the career she is so successful at. The house is a mess but she owns it and nothing from the past can spoil this dream.

She hires the best carpenter in town, Graham Reid who is less than anxious to take the j
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This novel is one of Delinsky's older books originally written in 1983 and re-published by Harper Collins. Although I enjoyed the story, it was a little too much of a romancy type story for me.

"Shaken by a painful divorce, successful television writer Debra Barry leaves New York for the beautiful countryside of New Hampshire, where she hopes to find peace and solitude to mend her wounded heart. The old house she's bought, though, needs as much repairing as her own shattered emotions. To make it
Everydayreader1
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debra Barry needs a new start after a divorce. As a successful script writer, she can write from anywhere, so she leaves New York City for New Hampshire. Within days, she has purchased a house she loves. The house is in need of major renovation. She hires master carpenter, Graham Reid, a man experiencing his own emotional termoil, to do the work. There is an almost instant attraction between them, though neither wants to risk more painful emotional involvement.

This is my third Barbara Delinsky b
Christianne
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
I really like this story. First half was a bit dull then when I started reading the second half, BOOM!, can't put the book down until it was finish.

First half was all blurry. It felt like the author wasn't really sure what to do with the characters. And then continues on to the second half, and they like molded to each other. It felt like everything was put in the right place at the right time. They both held onto each other neither one having second thoughts of letting go. And it was really
Marilyn
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debra Barry is determined to move on with her life after having found her husband cheating on her. Fortunately for Deborah, she can work her job as a script writer for television from anywhere in the world. She has bought an old house in New Hampshire, in need of remodel, but with tremendous character. Having found the perfect man for doing the repair and design she's having a hard time reconciling her attraction to him with her need to remain focused on the remodel job and her script work. Spar ...more
Linda
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Barbara Delinsky and I really enjoyed it. The carpenter met the lady and in spite of the pull between the two of them, he worked to renovate the house that she bought. Debra had escaped from New York and her ex-husband to this beautiful countryside of New Hampshire.

He had escaped his life several years before and arrived at the same place and they danced around for a long time before they realized how important life was.

"If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had just read my first book by Barbara Delinksy and enjoyed it, so I grabbed another one at the used book store to read on the plane. I didn't check it out very closely, so that was my fault. It turned out to be one of her earlier books and was a romance novel. I hate romance novels. Needless to say, I didn't like this one either. I read it, because I was on the plane and had nothing else. I will try another of her books, but I will make sure to get something more recent and will also make sur ...more
Kathy
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
the title says it... a carpenter (okay, he's also an architect) and a lady (okay, she's had a little money, and lived in new york). they both have lived in the fast life, and have moved to the country. She's a successful soap opera writer who divorced her husband/mentor after she found out about his affair. He was a successful architect who left for the quiet life and working with his hands when his rich exwife sabatoged his relationship with his daughter.
Kendra
I was hoping for something along the lines of the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" with some romance. That is NOT what I got. The 2 main characters practically jumped all over each other within the first couple of pages. And the "hero" was a jerk. I just couldn't relate so I finally gave up on it. Thank goodness I just picked it up at the thrift store.
Natalya
Nov 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible, but mostly because I love Delinsky for her later novels and this was typical romance trash written probably in her adolescence when brawny workmen were too hot to write sensible dialogue about. In all fairness, there is one time towards the end when father/daughter relationship is discussed I saw a glimpse of her good writing to be.
Dannae
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I have read this book twice now. I absolutely love it. I love how Debra decides to take her life back and live on her own terms. The attraction between her and the carpenter make for a great story. Definitely read this book!
Bette Taylor
May 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Soap opera love story

Not much to this book except a very implausible story line and sex. There s no real story except that a new York soap opera script writer falls in love with a carpenter. Not up to th standards of this author.
Jacque
There were some funny parts to this book, mostly revolving around Debra's career writing soaps. I felt the men a little shallow. Graham immediately wants nothing to do with her because she is an attractive female, and her ex-husband is beyond self-involved.
Dixie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Another romance novel. Starting to remember why I haven't read this type of book for 10 years. They're predictable and boring! The women pour their heart out to the men immediately upon meeting and the men hold everything back!
Nancy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Dawn Mcnulty kelly
I was raised by the rule, if you can't say anything nice font say anything at all. Read something else. Anything else.
Nan Williams
Totally predictable.
I read e-book new release.
I kept thinking something was going to happen, but it didn't.
Waste of time.
Jennifer McMurrain
I really enjoyed this book, all the way to the ending. Then the climax was a big let down. Things were fixed just a little to easy for my taste.
  • Within Reach
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
“tattoos are like bumper stickers in some respects. Their wearers want to tell the world something.” 0 likes
“poured himself into his work” 0 likes