Start by marking “Listen to the Shadows” as Want to Read:
Listen to the Shadows

Listen to the Shadows

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

When artist Katie Summers emerged from a four-day coma, she remembered all too vividly the horror of that night - the terrifying dead eyes that had stared back at her in the rear view mirror, causing her to crash her car. But nobody believed her. Even the enigmatic and disturbingly attractive psychiatrist,
Published October 5th 2010 by Books We Love Ltd. (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Listen to the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen to the Shadows

Lynn Demsky
May 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really had to struggle to finish this book, way to much romance crap in it to be a good mystery! UGH!!!
Lisa Tortorello
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did you ever feel you were being watched, that things around you just weren't right? Well, Katie Summers had those feelings for some time, but kept rationalizing them instead of Listening to the Shadows. She learned the hard way that if something seems off, it probably is.

When Katie woke up from her coma after the accident, she tried to put the pieces together... After being stood up for a date, Katie drove home in horrendous weather, but it was the eyes of the dead man in her rear view mirror
Theresa Abney
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Predictable, but entertaining enough. :)
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Katie Summers inherited her aunts old farmhouse outside of Belleville, It boasted no twentieth century luxuries and she had to heat the place with wood. The only concession to modern convenience was the telephone. Katie adored the house as it had great light in her studio where she painted but she worked at the coffee shop to pay her bills. She was driving home and saw a pair of evil eyes in her rear view mirror, she lost control, hit a tree, and awoke from a coma four days later.........

Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of my monthly picks for March in the Mystery/Thriller genre. Every woman has been warned by a caring and/or concerned loved one about getting into their car without checking the backseat for some maniac lying in wait. Artist Katie Summers looks into her rear view mirror to find DEAD eyes reflected back to her from the back seat. She panics, swerves, hits a light pole, and spends 4 days in a coma.

This book is fairly fast-paced, full of suspense and hard to put down. I have to admit
Katie Corbin
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I started off really liking this book... it is decently written, the story is enough to hold your attention even though the characters fall a bit flat, and it had good imagery. But as Dr. Shea and Katie's romantic storyline developed, it just got cheesy. A poor mix between a thriller, and a PG (thank goodness) rated chick flick. Katie is a bad female character - again, you decide to stick with the guy that slipped something in your drink then carried you to bed? No. Not romantic. Just no.

The en
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Katie Summers gets in a car crash in the pouring rain after she is stood up for a date. Coming out of a coma four days later she recalls the horrible "dead" eyes she saw in her rearview mirror that caused her to crash. Dr Jonathan Shea believes she was either seeing things, it was the rain, or an over active imagination. Dr Shea, the psychiatrist, is living with is own demons and has taken a sabatical after a young patient of his commits suiicide. When Katie is released from the hospital to her ...more
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: archived
Listen to the Shadows is a well-written, fast-moving story. The characters are likeable and believable. The settings are described quite well allowing for easy visualization. There are some spelling and grammatical errors and the formatting was messed up, but it was readable.

I liked the plot and the characters, but I didn't like the ending. The story was believable until the last couple of scenes, especially the epilogue, but I want to avoid spoilers, so I can't really elaborate except to say th
Lisa Biegel
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cop-thrillers
The summary of this book grabbed my attention, but sadly the beginning of the story was slow. I stuck with it hoping that it would improve, but it only seemed to drag - I only ended up getting about 60% through it before I gave up. This is an older novel and the story line and characters seem outdated. The plot itself was transparent which only diminished the suspense of the story. Wouldn't be bad as a light read for short periods of time, but not enough to engage the reader to keep coming back ...more
L.F. Falconer
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Though not quite edge-of-your-seat suspense, there was enough to keep me intrigued and turning the pages. I found the plot to be a bit too predictable and kept hoping for some twist at the end to prove me wrong. Katie struck me as an intelligent, level-headed woman, yet I often found myself shaking my head in bewilderment by some of her foolish actions. Since she'd been the victim of a stalker before, I would've expected her to be a bit more leery of these creepy men she was getting involved wit ...more
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
While I did enjoy this book and the ending was perfect, it seemed quite dated. I'm not sure if the author mentioned the time period that it takes place in. From what I got from it was that it took place sometime in the seventies or early eighties. There is a lot of mention of the Vietnam war and one of the male characters was driving a Pinto. So, the seventies maybe? There were also some instances that seem so far-fetched (like where the heroine lives).

Either way, really good book, though I had
Lynda Kelly
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Another of her books I really enjoyed although it seemed to be a harder one to get into, I thought. I stuck with it and was happy I did as it turned out well with a shocker of an ending. I suspected different people all through it but I hadn't guessed who did !!
There were some annoying spelling mistakes and editing errors and at a really dramatic point I swore when a too was used instead of to !!
I do enjoy Joan's book though and the stories outweigh the errors right now.
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Good story line at first but very predictable and I hated the ending as it made Kathrine look very stupid, **Ending Spoiler alert** So if you've read this, you're asking yourself, who waits 30 mins for someone and then goes looking for him even tho he doesn't respond to her calling out, when there's a killer who's been in her house before, DUH!!
Eileen Patterson
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I liked some of her other books better. This one felt kind of forced. In the beginning it was intriguing, but it soon became pretty clear who the killer was, and the last half of the book felt like a boring trudge for the main character to figure out what was going on before it was too late. The book isn't bad, just not as good as I had hoped.
Shelley Wead
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The story line was good, but somewhat predictable. Don't feel that the characters were given as much in depth understanding especially Drake. It reminded me more of a tv show with a surface view of the character insights.
Larry Kegley
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

The writer held my attention from the beginning. Likable multifaceted heroine in a riveting story. Believable characters, situations, and dialogue. As I headed toward the ending, I could not put it down until I reached the end. I had to stay up until 2 am for the conclusion.
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, free
Jessica Kibec
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good suspense read
Bonnie Mcdonald
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it

Good suspenseful read. Lots of characters to figure out the "who is it!"
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This book kept my attention. Katie is being stalked and she doesn't know who, and either does the reader until the end. It's an easy read.
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a "free" book through Kindle. It was OK - kept me up late last night because I needed to know if it ended how I expected. It did, which is why I gave it only 3 stars.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy, quick read! I enjoyed it, and didn't figure out the ending until I actually got closer to the end of the book.
Iamsherbear Too
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept your attention to the very end. Quick reading. The email version definitely could have used better proofreading but it doesn't take away from the story at all.
Dec 07, 2013 added it
Linda Turner
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a riveting thriller! It was hard to put the book down because I couldn't wait ti see what was going to happen next and who was the villain and the next victim.
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
While this started out as a light read, it quickly developed into a scary 'I can't put it down'.
Jessica Molnar
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling, mystery. I couldn't put it down! A Must Read!
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good mystery with a twist at the end that makes me hope there's a sequel.
Karen Weeks
Ok but not great. No big twists or turns. At times dialogue is cheesy.
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Grave Situation (Allan Stanton #1)
  • The Gauntlet Assassin
  • North Slope
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Confessions
  • Implicated
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • Brother's Keeper
  • A Hint of Murder (A Hint of Murder #1-3)
  • A Circle in the Woods
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • Remember the Eyes (Remember the Eyes, #1)
  • The House Eaters
  • Safe Harbor (A Pat Tierney Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Corners
  • The Noon God
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • Silent Kills