Start by marking “The Sunflower Sword” as Want to Read:
The Sunflower Sword

The Sunflower Sword

In a land filled with fire and smoke and endless fighting, where knights fight dragons, there lives a little knight who wants to be big like the others, and fight like the others, and have a sword like the others. But his mother wont let him. Instead of a sword, she gives him a sunflower, which, as it turns out, can be mightier than a sword.
Published January 1st 2011 by Andersen Press (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunflower Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunflower Sword

Start your review of The Sunflower Sword
Viviane Elbee
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very fun book for fans of knights, dragons and sunflowers. Bright, colorful illustrations. Kids enjoyed it.
Angela Kim
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book teaches that everyone can bond together even though they are very different. Also in the story, the mother is being wise and gave her son a sunflower sword instead of a sword that would hurt the dragons. the Son did not like the idea of the sunflower sword but when a real dragon appeared and took the sunflower away from him, he realized it was a great way for them to become one. This book has great illustration and the words would help the kids from reading it.
Kristen
A bit didactic and too sweet, but the pictures are bright and fun, and I the overall message is a good one, if perhaps a bit overdone.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A hard way to get roasted sunflower seeds.
Miss Sarah
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just loved this book about a young boy who wants a sword and is given a sunflower instead. Will his sunflower stand up against dragons? loved the friendship and alternative fighting themes. toddlers and up
Ms. Jeane
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Aw! Love this very sweet book, with a sweet message!
Jade Wu
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My four years boy favorite story

Great story and my 4 years old loved it! Highly recommend to pre-K children. I enjoyed reading it as well. :)
Hannah Groeschen
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fresh take on being different from other people. I loved the pictures!
Hahnna Christianson
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

In a world full of knights fighting dragons, there lived a little knight who wanted to be just like the rest, not only in size or in battle, but with a big sword too. When he tells his mother of his aspirations she says he cannot have a sword. Instead, she brings him a giant sunflower to swoosh and woosh the dragons away. It turns out the sunflower brings more than a sword probably would.

The Sunflower Sword is an adorable story of a little boy whose imagination blossoms and brings an advent

Samantha
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story is about a boy who wants to be a knight and have a sword to slay dragons. His mother gives him a sunflower to act as a sword. He isn’t too sure about this but goes along with it. He meets many different characters along the way, who he helps; such as a witch.

The story is very nice, it teaches children that you can be friends with people who are different, as deep down you are all the same.

I read this to a class of 30 5 year olds this week and they did enjoy the story. They
Emmaline MacBeath
A little boy wants to be a knight like his father and to fight the dragons, but his mother says he can't. He wants a sword, but his mother gives him a sunflower instead. The boy is not terribly pleased, but makes the best of the situation by pretending the sunflower is a sword and pretends to fight dragons. But then one day, a real dragon comes along. The boy thrusts his sunflower sword at the dragon. The dragon is quite pleased with the gift of a flower and befriends the boy. The knights see wh ...more
Autumn
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
K picked this book up from our public library.

Me and K both enjoyed this story. It has knights and dragons and of course that always makes for a great read right! You have a little knight who doesn't have a sword but a Sunflower that if you used your imagination which I think is great to do it can be anything. In this case it is a sword! When the little knight meets a dragon he knows what to do with this sunflower sword but the dragon thinks otherwise! The young knight shows that you
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Narrative Skills

From cover:
In a land filled with fire and smoke and endless fighting, where knights fight dragons, there lives a little knight who wants to be bug like the others, and fight like the others, and have a sword like the others.
But his mother won't let him,

Bold, colorful, playful i
Karen Dransfield
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A lovely story about a young knight wanting to fight dragons but all he has for a sword is a large sunflower. And what happens when he does have to really fight a dragon with it.
I was looking for a sunflower story for a painting activity involving red/yellow/orange colours and this was perfect. The kids loved it too.
Candice
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute little book about war and peace (sort of). In the land of knights and dragons, a little boy wants to have a sword like the other knights. But all his mother will allow him to wield is a sunflower. The little knight whooshes and swooshes his sunflower in the air and slew three imaginary dragons. But what happens when he confronts a real dragon?
Nicole
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great piece that shows little readers, especially our strong willed boys how to defeat larger than life problems, with kindness. Instead of killing dragons and causing havoc, one little boy and his sunflower sword befriend a dragon with no violence. This would be a great tool in classrooms and also as a mother.
Meg
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Enjoyed this story. It's got a bit of a message, which you may like or not like. I was unclear why the knights were all in old-school knight clothing while the other people were in modern-day clothing. Not sure about that. But I love Miriam Latimer as an illustrator and enjoyed what she did with this one.
Colleen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Delightful story to share with kids about peace or even bullies. International Peace day is Sept. 21, so that week for sure. A small boy wants to be like the other knights in the land, a dragon fighter. He asks for a sword, but his mother gives him a sunflower instead. But if turns out to be mightier than the sword and creates peace in the land.

Beth Kakuma-Depew
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Another mildly didatic story about peace over fighting. Best part: boy gets to fly a dragon. Worst part: the world doesn't make sense. Why are all the dads dressed as a knights, but the mom looks suburban? My sons didn't even get really into it and they love cool dragons. Nuff said.
The Styling Librarian
The Sunflower Sword by Mark Sperring, illustrated by Miriam Latimer - hah, my son agreed with me that I'm a pacifist like this mom but he agreed that the outcome of the story made it work perfectly...
Erin Buhr
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can a mother and her boy change the world with a sunflower? It the land of knights and dragons they can. A beautiful story with sweet illustrations and a wonderful message. I'm a sap, but this brought tears to my eyes. 3+
Melissa
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Ack, ack, ack. Lesson, lesson, lesson. And they all lived happily ever after.
Krystyn
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for boys who are forever playing with sword-like items (mine). We enjoyed this cute story of mom and her knight-like son.
Kaleigh
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favourite picture book of ALL TIME.
Rainey
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yea! Flowers not swords!!
Kelsey Yates
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute little story. My 4 year old son has me read this daily.
J Burton
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and an even more beautiful message! When I read it to my preschool class, it begins a wonderful discussion on how to make friends.
Kalynn
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The boys really liked this book.
Sam
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons, sword
Sword! Dragon!

(Sam started chasing imaginary monsters in the backyard with sticks and yelling Sword! after reading this book)
Jessica Romick
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Can a flower be better than a sword? Fabulously fun tale about the power of kindness and friendship. Peace will change the world; even knights and dragons can be friends. ❤ ...more

• Mittagsstunde