Start by marking “Superior” as Want to Read:
Superior

Superior

(Superior #Complete)

Simon Pooni had it all going for him - plenty of friends at school and good looks, and his coach called him one of the most talented basketball players he's ever seen. But that was when he could still move his legs. Now, he's living with multiple sclerosis, missing all the little things he used to take for granted, and escaping into the world of movies and comics with his ...more
Published March 7th 2012 by Marvel (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Superior, please sign up.
Nathaniel Goodreads doesn't host books, it's just a way of tracking what you/your friends/others are reading.

You have to actually go and buy/check out from the…more

You have to actually go and buy/check out from the library/etc. to read it.(less)

Start your review of Superior
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This was highly readable and came across as a "love letter" (for lack of better words) to Christopher Reeves. But Willing Suspension of Disbelief needs to be set to HIGH to believe a 12-year-old superhero could accomplish THIS MUCH GOOD and ZERO CASUALTIES and garner the love and admiration of the ENTIRE WORLD in a mere 7 days.

Also, why does the (essentially) ONLY female have HUGE GLOBES for boobs?
Patrick
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Millar's writing, but honestly, it can end up being a little dark for me sometimes. Not just grim, but nihilistic.

I found this comic to be kind of a nice change from that. There were a few dark elements, but the story, overall, was what I like to think of as "hopeful." By which I mean that after reading it, I feel like maybe people are basically good, and maybe the world might not be spiraling endlessly into shit and madness.

I liked that this book was hopeful. I think we need
Nicolo Yu
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I give this book, a hardcover collection of the Superior miniseries five stars for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is based on the individual reputation of the creative team and my preference for their past work. I’ve also considered the character they created for this story.

The writer, Mark Millar is currently one of the comic book industry’s top writers because of his ability to widescreen action-adventure epics with a filmmaker’s sensibilities and yet maximizes the almost
Sud666
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
What if Mark Millar wrote a Superman comic? What if Superman were called Superior? What if instead of Clark Kent, we get Sam Pooni (is that Indian? the kid doesn't look Indian..I digress) and wait for it..he's in a wheelchair. Throw in a demon monkey and some bullies and viola! we have Superior by Mark Millar.

While the story itself is not bad and the artwork is also good. I only ask the question "why?". Other than the demon monkey (Mr. Mxyzptlk, anyone?) and the fact that Superior already
Sam Quixote
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simon Pooni was a regular kid once, captain of the school basketball team, until something life changing happened to him - he contracted multiple sclerosis. Confined to a wheelchair and barely able to use crutches his future looks bleak. That is until a space monkey appears out of nowhere and gives him superpowers! Gone is Simon Pooni, Superior is here!

In a twist on the body swapping premise made famous by "Big" and "Freaky Friday", a disabled boy finds himself with a new body that not only
Cheese
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Just reread this and it still holds up as a good story, but it's a bit dated now.

His new stuff is a lot better, but this is definitely worth a read.
Jesse A
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
An odd book. Almost Millar for kids. Hopeful rather than dark. Toned down the Millar violence and darkness but kept the profanity. Ideal for kids but not ok for them.
Rituraj Kashyap
Mark Millar's homage to Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Superman, with a little twist. The book had some really good moments. Leinil Yu's art was great, as always. The tribute to Christopher Reeve and Richard Donner at the end did it all for me.
Brian Dickerson
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bad monkey!
Daniel Sevitt
Least impressive Millarverse title so far. It’s derivative and a bit silly even though there are noble elements and a nice tribute to Christopher Reeve mixed in. The portrayal of illness is heartfelt but the whole thing is a little manufactured.
Allison
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grahpic-novel
I really, really enjoyed the book Superior except for the one thing I really didn't like. The story was wonderful and unexpected and really cool, I liked the characters and the artwork. I was engaged and interested in Simon's story and this unique take on the superhero tale.

But WHY WHY WHY must every female character have overly large, even absurdly large breasts and skin tight ridiculously revealing clothing?? Okay, I KNOW I am reading a comic book and that comic books are known for their
William Thomas
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Nemesis, Millar showed us his interpretation of DC's Batman as born from his twisted psyche. Or as he said it, the way Batman would really be if he weren't such a "c*nt". In Superior, we get an interpretation of DC's Superman in the form of a love letter to Richard Donner and O Henry.

The best part of the book isn't even Millar's writing. Its Leinil Yu's artwork. This is the best work Leinil has produced to date. Its absolutely gorgeous and if I can say any comic art is perfect, I'll say this
Shannon
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
MINI REVIEW: a crippled kid dreams of being a superhero and his wish is granted with a sinister twist. Characters are the strongest part of this well woven tale. Bold, impressive artwork and written by Mark Millar. Certainly a nod to THE MAN OF STEEL film as well.

ARTWORK PRESENTATION: B plus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: A minus; STORY/PLOTTING/EDITING: B to B plus; ACTION SCENES: B plus;
WHEN READ: early June 2013; OVERALL GRADE: B plus.
Scott
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
What? Millar is writing a book that doesn't have a killer as the lead? Interesting...

This book starts off in our world: that is, superheroes are a thing of the silver screen and comics. Until a monkey in a astronaut suit shows up a turns a boy paralyzed from the waste down into the "Superman" type hero of this world. So basically "Big" meets "Superman," in terms of plot.

Good stuff and doesn't leave you feeling dirty after reading it (like Wanted or Nemesis).
Mladen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5/5 Stars
Gary Butler
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
62nd book read in 2014.

Number 5 out of 405 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Daniel
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I guess I am on a Mark Millar kick right now. Picked this up on Amazon and man am I glad I did! This is about a boy who is a fan of the fictional superhero, Superior. He is also a young man living with Multiple Sclerosis. He has little use of his legs and is blind in one eye. Working with such people in my real life this resonated with me pretty strongly. This boy is visited by a mysterious benefactor in the guise of a monkey, called Ormon. He grants the boy the power to become Superior in ...more
Julian
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Superior is a bit of an excursion for Mark Millar, in that though it portrays the life of a superhero obsessed boy, rather like 'Kick Ass', it concentrates less on ghoulishly realistic fighting and more on the emotional side of things. Simon, our hero was a happy boy with a great future, and then MS struck him down and left him permanently crippled and blind in one eye. He longs to be able to move, jump, wiggle his toes again, and so when a magic monkey (yes, you read that right) offers him one ...more
Corey Pung
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Teenage superheroes have always had slight handicaps to overcome, usually commonplace ones like shyness around girls, general nervousness, lack of parental support, or poverty. Superior, a seven issue mini-series by Mark Millar, takes the time-honored formula a step further by giving its hero, a pre-teen named Simon Pooni, an incurable, debilitating, tragic handicap: multiple sclerosis.

As a care-giver for handicapped adults, I’ve had the privilege of working with a young man who had MS and I got
Albert
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superior by Mark Millar is the is the super hero comic book tale that the writers of Superman and Shazam lack the vision to write. It has more to do with choices and decisions made by the alter ego than by the super hero himself. In traditional Millar fashion, he has crafted a story of morality, responsibility and the consequences of the roads we take.

Simon is a young boy whose life was stolen from him by multiple sclerosis. Once a popular kid at school and budding athlete, Simon is now confined
Tamahome
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Great story. More like Millar's sentimental stuff, and not so mondo-violent. I've read it for 40 minutes, so I'm about 2/3's of the way done. I'm not a fan of Yu's scratchy style of art, otherwise it's good. I'm a sucker for pop culture. I've spend too much time in front of The Glass Teat.

Kind of a high body count towards the end. Pretty good. Clever end. Read it in an hour. Dedicated to Christopher Reeve.
Vim
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I've waited months to be able to read this and it was worth it. I'm a Mark Millar fan ever since I read "Wanted" and he always exceeds my expectations. It's also nice to hear that he has collaborated with a great team part of which are Leinil Yu (Co-Creator and Penciler) and Gerry Alanguilan(One of the inkers) both notable Filipino comic book artists. It's so nice to see Filipino artists work on such a fantastic comic series.

Anyways, I'm back to waiting for the next Millarworld series.
Cale
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I never thought the known-for-his-filthiness Mark Millar could write a wonderful homage to Superman, but that's what this is. He manages to encapsulate the virtues with his off-brand Superman and glorify what makes Superman work even with a fair bit of his language and content. The dedication at the end and the character that is a thinly disguised version of that person was also touching and powerful. Overall, I went in with low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.
Matt
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Good illustration. A little too cleavaged-out to be sermonizing and yet a sermonizing it does. Weird in that way. Perhaps "For 12 year old boys" should be shoved in the somewhere. I mean, we barely do get past 12 as gentlemen but it'd be nice if ladies could be more averagely proportioned and not sort of jutting and grabbing so much. When destiny calls, sacrifice yourself for the real thing, not a pandering market.
Larry C
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most light-hearted that I have seen Millar get. Boy with MS gets visited by magic space monkey, super powers are given, monkey turns out to be a demon who wants his soul. A nice collage of Big with Superman: The Movie.
Davy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stories like this one prove that comics are not only for children. It's a gripping story about a cripled boy who becomes his favorite superhero, but learns even then he has worries and in the end he has to make a very hard choice....
Matt
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an interesting hook. Would you become a superhero and make the world instantly a better place? At what price ?
Jerry Jose
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Admit it, We all grew up through this fantasy
Don Witzel
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read, "what's your soul worth" ? Fantastic book
Mars Dorian
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Superior is basically Tom Hank's "Big" movie meets Superman, including the Faustian deal.
The drawing style is amazing and realistic. The artist implements excellent composition and strong black-line contrast. If only the story could match it...

So, what's the problem? (spoilers below)

The setting is not believable. A devil creature, apparently a low servant of Satan, grants people their wildest wishes in exchange for their soul. The creature has unlimited power, but failed to convince a single
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Marvels
  • Batman Caballero Oscuro III: La raza superior
  • Fatale, Vol. 4: Pray for Rain
  • Curse Words, Vol. 1: The Devil's Devil
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, ...more

Superior (3 books)