Start by marking “Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders” as Want to Read:
Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders

Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders

In many organizations, management is the biggest obstacle to successful Agile development. Unfortunately, reliable guidance on Agile management has been scarce indeed. Now, leading Agile manager Jurgen Appelo fills that gap, introducing a realistic approach to leading, managing, and growing your Agile team or organization. Writing for current managers and developers moving ...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published December 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Management 3.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Management 3.0

Jurgen Appelo
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-management
It's my own book. Of course, I like it! :)
Yves Hanoulle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made me think.

Jurgen managed to write a book that links the tons of books he has read. Although there were a few moments I did not agree with him, I loved the way this book challenges my thinking. This is the perfect book if you want to know how to create your own answers in this complex world.
Ricardo Cavalcanti
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
It's a great book. Presents a great model for many aspects of managing software development.
For example, it puts the manager in a position of working together with the team, rather than a position of authority. Nice theoretical references, practical advice and real project storytelling.

Not a 5 star because of the promise of at least 2 good jokes. I couldn't find them. Seriously, there are quite a few weird metaphors and analogies that are very hard to relate to, some extra jokes between parenthe
April
Oct 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From unnecessary and inappropriate sexual jokes (e.g. p. 81: "Some businesses are adept at providing opportunities for eating, sex, and vengeance (I'm just joking, of course).") to the disparaging of diversity-promoting efforts (a tone-deaf blog post shared on p. 87-88) to the condescending discussion of creatives working outside of tech (regarding a technical concept: "They probably don't even know what it is." - p. 57), this book makes for a deeply disturbing read. It's a shame because there a ...more
Romans Karpelcevs
This book is absolutely marvellous! A gem with so many takeaways I couldn't read it when I didn't have my highlighter with me. Few works make so much sense throughout the whole book as this one and it's very important to note that it's based on actual research not just random thoughts of a successful manager.

I recommend it to all managers of any industry, team leads and senior software developers.
Matija
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An eclectic, very interestingly and humorously written and yet also broad and serious in its subject matter, guide to the author's model of management for agile software organizations. Unexpectedly, this book is also responsible for at least three (and probably more) new entries on my to-read list. I've enjoyed Mr. Appelo's references to biology and chaos theory a lot as he employs them masterfully to illustrate ideas about managing teams, and hits dry humour cracked me up at least once every th ...more
Lauretta Llanos
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Agile book I have ever read, it took me more than a year to finish, I will update my favorite parts : ) after reading about management 3.0 everything changes.
Jaideep Khanduja
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Book Review: Management 3.0 by Jurgen Appelo: An Excellent Approach

Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Cohn)) by Jurgen Appelo is talks about the relationship between an organization and management and how the success of failure depends a lot on this relationship. As we go by the chapters, we learn to know that at times it is not any external factors that becomes a failure factor for Agile de
Bjoern Rochel
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, eng-mgmt
The practical parts are superb. I especially like the chapters about team empowerment, about developing competence and Appelos definition of competency (skill + discipline).

I can say from first hand experience that a lot of this seems to go into the right direction, since the team I've worked in for the majority of this year successfully tried out some of the (for us Germans) crazier ideas (like the value exercise, sharing personality profiles and running experiments with the team setup). For t
Andy Lowry
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the first proper management book I've read (at least to completion) it's difficult to compare this to other management books. However I still believe this is a fantastic book.

The first part of the book presents a general overview of Management, Agile Software Development and Complexity Theory. The second part alternates between theory and practise of Jurgen's model.

For me this is a very different view of management than I've previously been aware of, and having an interest in Complexity Theor
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I gave this book 5 stars, but it really wasn't easy to evaluate.

On one hand, Jurgen is a really sharp fellow & book is packed with a lot of interesting insights, ideas, concepts & references to another sources. The content really seems relevant & clearly applies to manager's role, especially in somehow "agile" environment.

On the other hand though, the form of this book feels very soft. I've made some bookmarks to catch the most important (IMHO) messages, but truth is that this b
Kim Leandersson
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading this book is like reading an executive summary of many other management books and tons of research made in this field. Saves you a lot of time and makes it quite efficient, but at the same time the format becomes a bit special with all the referrals to other sources.

The book itself is good but not great, the author makes good conclusions and have a good way to mix in examples from the normal life. He also uses his own experience in a way that makes the book a bit less heavy to digest.

I
Donatomm
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unlike the usual business books, this one is so inspiring and solidly based on literature, scientific research and lesson learned that make it an absolute must read for everyone who deals with an organization - any of them
Pavleras
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is one of the most important books about this topic. From my point of view, it is a required novel for anybody who wants to improve management skills.
It is a funny book but few chapters are very difficult.

Pedro
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Management is changing.
Things are not as simple as we thought, and their behavior not as predictable.

This book is a good first step to introduce complexity theories in the body of knowledge of management. Specially in management of software organisations.
Richard
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is targeted at Agile management of software development teams but the ideas within it are not specific to them. It is written in a mixture of anecdotes, theories from scientific papers and practical approaches you can take. The target is to present a model which has 6 "views"; Energise people, Empower teams, Align constraints, Develop competence, Grow structure & Improve everything. Here are the things which I noted from each of these views.

Energise people - Innovation is the key to
Lukasz Nalepa
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-work
Yay, I've made it ! So... this sentece is suggesting a bit why I gave that book only three stars - this book is surprisingly hard to read. I have managed to finish it only after third approach, whereas previous attempts failed miserably.

Don't get me wrong:
- I (almost) fully agree with the conclusions,
- The book is funny enough sometimes,
- I knew more or less the content before reading the book (and I knew that I agree with it),
- I attended the the Management 3.0 training lead by Jurgen himself,
Peter
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Most agile methodologies, including the widespread Scrum framework, more or less dispense of the manager. Does this mean that Management is no longer needed?

The answer is that managers still play an important role, and Jurgen Appelo's book “Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders” explains why.

Introducing agile methodologies such as Scrum will significantly change the way management works. The traditional command and control structure will be supplanted by a coaching /
Miguel Ángel Ocaña Silva
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Después de leer un libro que trata tanto sobre sistemas complejos y complejidad resulta muy curioso darle una nota del 1 al 5 estrellas teniendo en cuenta una sola dimensión... Es un libro que me ha gustado mucho, que transmite mucho trasfondo y horas de trabajo buscando fuentes, referencias... Y algunas de ellas tan interesantes que es muy fácil empezar a tirar del hilo y descubrir que has estado mucho tiempo allí.
Por otra parte, aunque está plagado del humor de Jurgen para hacerlo más ameno, e
Venkatesh Upadrista
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have met Jurgen in one of the conference and after understanding his knowledge in Agile, I started to review his book. In my past several years of teaching experience on topics of Distributed Agile, i came across experts who spoke about leadership in agile projects but i would have to admit that Jurgen has come across quite different in his articulation on how an agile leader should be developed. In his book, Jurgen has given a very realistic approach on how to develop leaders and nurture them ...more
Łukasz Woliński
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books, business
This book is smart. It took me a lot of time to read it from cover to cover, because it was also quite hard (for me ;)). It’s a book that has the word “management” in the title, but inside you find things like Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle or Chaos Theory. Not something that someone would expect from a book about management. The author has also a great sense of humour, so it’s really funny.

The main idea of the book is that software development teams are complex adaptive systems. This idea i
Kenneth Roberts
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-scrum-lean
The book is a little tone deaf at times, but has some useful tools, concepts and explanations behind them.

I've successfully used the Delegation Board with a couple of managers. It is also useful when determining decision making authority in meetings, etc.

The Celebration Grid has come in handy for team retrospectives.

Personal Maps have been useful at times, but I have used the tool based upon other reading.
Dusan Katona
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is good, although with a title Management 3.0. I expected a bit more. The theoretical chapters are sometimes too long, but I admit they provide a good metaphor and background for the practical chapters - I particularly liked the analogy with fitness landscape.
The practical chapters were mostly good - with reflection and action section at the end of each, provoking your thought on how to apply the practices to your organization.
Mikael Thoustrup
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read - definitely worth the while for anybody jumping into the field of organizational agility. The theoretical chapters are sometimes a bit far-fetched and leaves you with a feeling of elevating similarities to predictors. "Because cells in the body organizes this way, so must we in a company"-sort of arguing.
Łukasz Lichota
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good book and Jurgen is doing very good job on synthetizing many ideas from many sources.
I thought about 4 as I try now to give 5 for life changing things but maybe actually it's a bit of lifechanging because maybe I'm finally at the point to be even less model/methodology/practice/... agnostic.
Kirill
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book a lot - its structure, ideas, didactic approach itself. Even if some theoretical chapters are getting sometimes too theoretical and some jokes a bit weird :)
General ideas of complex systems and steady evolution applied to everyday software engineering. Tons of reference materials reviewed and summarized.
A definite must read! And definitely not only for managers!
Artur Perwenis
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great and fun to read book

Easy to read language to discuss the many complex aspects of growing and managing the business.
Comprehensive coverage of topics involved in real life management of software teams.
Olga Ivina
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Nathalie Karasek
Fun to read and fuuuulll of insights and hints :)
Jürgen Mohr
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, favorites
A must-read for people working in agile software development

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to understand why agile software development is the best fit to complex environments, how to deal with those complex environments, and what it takes to develop outperforming teams. There are a lot of parts that are well worth reading and a few parts that are extremely helpful.

Jurgen describes very well why agile software development environments are the best fit for the complex, unpredictable,
how to update adobe flash player on windows 7 1 2 Sep 24, 2016 05:14PM
  • Agile Coaching
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Specification by Example
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Liftoff: Launching Agile Teams & Projects
  • The Art of Agile Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
***STARTUP, SCALEUP, SCREWUP. New book available in April 2019. Visit: http://startup-scaleup-screwup.com and stay tuned!***

With my company Agility Scales, I am inventing the future of organizational agility. Why are we wasting our time learning how to manage companies, when very soon computers will navigate us through our work-lives and help us to lead and manage our teams?

As a serial founder, su
“Motivation is a fine example of social complexity. It is nonlinear and sometimes unpredictable. It cannot be defined or modeled with a single diagram.” 1 likes
“the 10 Desires of Team Members: Make sure that people feel competent at what they are doing. Give them work that challenges their abilities but that is still within their grasp. Try to let people feel accepted by you and the group. Compliment them on their achievements (but only if you mean it). Make sure that their curiosity is addressed. Even though some activities can be boring, there should always be something new for them to investigate. Give people a chance at satisfying their honor. You must allow teams to make their own rules, which team members will follow happily (or sometimes grudgingly). Infuse the business with some idealism (purpose). You’re not just there to make money. You’re also making a (small) contribution to make the world a better place. (Note: Be careful with this one. It is often abused by top management in an attempt to obfuscate its real purpose, which is simply to make money.) Foster people’s independence (autonomy). Allow them to be different from other people, with their own tasks and responsibilities. And compliment them on their original and interesting hair style. Make sure that some level of order is maintained in the organization. People work better when they can rely on some (minimal) company rules and policies. Make sure that people have some power or influence over what’s happening around them. Listen to what they have to say and help them in making those things happen. Create the right environment for social contacts (relatedness) to emerge. There’s usually no need to venture into the romance area, but friendships can easily arise, provided that managers take care of a fertile context. Finally, it is important for people to feel that they have some status in the organization. They shouldn’t feel like dangling somewhere at the bottom of a big hierarchy.” 0 likes