Start by marking “Likely To Die (Alexandra Cooper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Likely To Die (Alexandra Cooper, #2)

Likely To Die

(Alexandra Cooper #2)

The real-life work of sex-crimes prosecutor Linda Fairstein brought "riveting authenticity" (Vanity Fair) to her bestselling debut novel, Final Jeopardy. Now Fairstein's fictional counterpart -- smart and savvy assistant D.A. Alexandra Cooper -- returns in "[a] Grisham-esque page turner" (Time) that puts Alex in the line of fire.

New York City's oldest and largest medical c

Published September 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Likely To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Likely To Die

Lewis Weinstein
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book with some minor flaws. The main plot is complex and exciting, with surprises, and the characters, especially those that recur throughout Fairstein's series, are interesting and well-portrayed. The major objection I had, and many may not see this as a negative, is an excess of pointless chit-chat that, IMO, got in the way of the primary focus.
Gerard
May 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Read the first 30 pages, skip 300 pages, then read the remaining, and you'll be fine. Instead, skip reading this book altogether, and you'll still be fine, may be even better!
Obsidian
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this series got a bit off track (when Mike and Alex fly to England for a two day conference) but for the most part this was an interesting read.

Alex is called into a case where a world renowned neurosurgeon, Gemma Dogen, is found murdered. The police believe that Gemma was also raped, so Mike calls Alex to come to the scene with the hope this new case will get her out of her exile since the events in book #1.

Alex is feeling gloomy and honestly you may want to smother her a bi
Whentheyseeus
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Time to get @LindaFairstein ignorant ass out of here too. A pompous racist and a callous, soulless, moral compass lacking manipulator of justice. How dare you write crime novels when you have knowingly committed a crime and lied in the court of law. You are pathetic & karma will meet you despite how you think you are invincible. #WhenTheySeeUs we see you!
Jessica Paden
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Im case any of you aren’t educated on Linda’s past, let me enlighten you. This woman sent 5 innocent young black males to jail and tortured them throughout investigations and interrogations. If you choose to support this woman in any way, you are just as disgraceful as she is. I hope your writing career rots just like you will after judgment day.
Marty Signaigo
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I'm reading this author's series of novels. I read the first book, "Final Jeopardy" and was really bored by the main character's pretentiousness. Then this book, with the same main character, goes to England to ostensibly represent her boss at a seminar but to also question a witness. Uh, there is such a thing as a telephone and a transAtlantic call is way cheaper. Then I'm supposed to believe that she and her male (platonic) partner share the same room? Huh? With all the money ...more
Linda
Dec 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: prospector, requested
Didn't quite finish. I had about 10 pages left and I just couldn't torture myself anymore. Boring, boring, boring. Easily could have been a 100 page book, if she'd left out all the frivolous fluff. Will not read another one of her books.
Kellie
2nd in the Alex Cooper series. Not great. 1st one was better. "A prominent woman neurosurgeon is sexually assaulted and stabbed in her own mid-Manhattan medical center office. Heroine Alexandra Cooper, who heads the Manhattan D.A.'s sex crimes unit, and her team of homicide detectives banter comically to cheer themselves as they winnow through witnesses, including transients who swarm the tunnels beneath the hospital and roam hospital corridors, snatching lab coats and trays of food."
Judy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
After reading the first in this series, I said I wouldn’t read another—but I did. This is a very good mystery with interesting characters. I like Alexandra Cooper, and the audio version is very well done. I just can’t figure out the shortness. I’ve complained recently of books being over-long, but this seems to be a series of extremely short books. I’ll probably listen to more of them because they are so good.
Markina Wilkerson
DO THE MAIN CHARACTER LIE AS MUCH AS THE AUTHOR DID ON THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE... Asking for a friend named Real Justice!
Jesse
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Fairstein still stands behind her prosecution of the Central Park 5. They were exonerated. She feels their convictions shouldn’t have been overturned AND you’re supporting a woman who destroyed the lives of young black and brown men.
Ronald Webster
Jun 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
You are a liar and a hack!!! I pray that you get the Justice that you gave those young boys in the Central Park 5!!! I will never read anything with your name on it!
Arlene Cruz
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Do not support this author she is evil, corrupt and racist
She had 5 children put in prison well aware they were innocent
Disgusting and sick to see goodreads support such an evil thing
Lucas Thomas
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hope you roth in hell you fucking piece of shit
Audrey
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyc
Linda Fairstein books are like episodes of Law & Order: SVU, and I think they're meant to be that way. They follow a predictable pattern of crime discovery, solving, attack and resolution, and you're supposed to care about Alexandra Cabot Cooper and her friendships with the two detectives. At some point Alex will make a rash decision necessary for the final piece of the puzzle to fall in place, and the villain will attack her, forcing her to call on all her reserves of plucky strength to esc ...more
Jenny
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
L-O-V-Eing this series more every book that I read. Alex Cooper is so relatable. It is so refreshing to read about this character, who is not involved with her partner or her boss or another co-worker, yet is a good friend to many. Also, I appreciate that her personal life is always included but is, so far, secondary. Love this series!!
Karen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Alex Cooper seeks the killer of a highly regarded neurosurgeon.
The twists and turns takes her to London and throws a very odd light on a new beau.
Monica
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Do not support this monster (author Linda Fairstein) who ruined the lives of children for her own personal gain.
Linda
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
The second book in this series had me confused with too many characters and references to things I didn't understand (ie. what happened to her fiancé?)
Not a terrible story, as Alex tries to find out who killed a brilliant neurosurgeon and why.
Many false leads to confuse the reader, but everything came to a satisfying conclusion, except for the “supposed” love interest. What happened to him???
Stewart Madden
How can you support/carry the books of this despicable person of an author Linda Fairstein. She is a corrupt ex NYC prosecutor who took away 5 teenage boys lives away from them allowing her detectives to interrogate these boys and coerced them into making false statements about a rape they had nothing to do with. The 5 boys were convicted of a crime they never admitted to nor never took a plea deal for. They presumed there innocence until the real rapists came forward. DNA testing proved who the ...more
Tim
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
What can I say about this book? Absolutely nothing except karma is a b1tch. The author might be writing her next book in prison for horrible crimes committed against innocent children (not ‘men’ as she puts it).
Lois
Shelves: never-finished
This author used to be a prosecutor in NY. She was a part of pushing for charges against The Central Park Five.
She still insists they are guilty after the city had to pay them $41 million dollars for malicious and wrongful prosecution.
This author is a nasty racist bitch and doesn't deserve to have a publishing contract.

Elizabeth Galarza
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
If I could give this (or any book written by this dispicable human being) less than one star, I would. Don’t even have to read them to know that they are terrible, fictional, and full of lies just as she is. If you are unaware of who she is and what she has done, educate yourself immediately. Kevin Richardson. Antron McCray. Korey Wise. Yusef Salaam. Raymond Santana Jr. Know their names. Watch #WhenTheySeeUs on Netflix now.
Ddalton
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
This woman is racist and sent five innocent minority children to jail in the Central Park Five case. Who knows how many other innocent minorities she has harmed. What an awful person.
Franny Lions
No matter how many awards you have or positive reviews you receive from delusional human beings . You are a sociopath, you are a criminal an you need to do the time. You have no regard for humanity an no one should buy these terrible books . I mean every story line was predictable and hard to understand. You write as if you have no experience at all in the English language. I do not understand how they even allowed you to be an author with these mediocre writing skills to say the least. Highly u ...more
Melissa
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Don't ever support this author. Wrongfully prosecuted the Central Park 5 and to this day still refuses to apologise or admit that she made a mistake. She should be charged for her crimes. I will boycott any publisher that supports her
Raquel Bruce
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Linda Fairstein put 5 innocent children in prison because they were black and she thought she was above the law. Their lives did not matter to her. She is a sorry excuse for a human being and no one should buy her stupid books. She came to fame on the broken lives of 5 black boys and their families! Shame on you Linda!
Beck
Jun 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
SHE WAS PUBLISHING BOOKS WHILST THE INNOCENT BOYS WERE SUFFERING IN JAIL! Don’t read her books, she’s a disgusting racist human being! Can’t wait for her to go to jail! WATCH “when they see us” or google about the CENTRAL PARK FIVE. Shame on you Linda.
Char Carter
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Lying prosecutor who oversaw the coercion of five innocent minority children to plead guilty to crime they didn’t commit, knowing that she did not have adequate facts to prove that they did.
The Hispanic Bookworm
Central Park Five
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Vendetta Defense (Rosato & Associates, #6)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Both Ends of the Night
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
  • Street Dreams (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #15)
  • Flashpoint (Sonora Blair, #1)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Person of Interest
  • Whitewash
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
Linda Fairstein (born 1947) is one of America's foremost legal experts on crimes of violence against women and children. She served as head of the sex crimes unit of the Manhattan District Attorney's office from 1976 until 2002 and is the author of a series of novels featuring Manhattan prosecutor Alexandra Cooper.

Like Fairstein, Alex ('Coop') Cooper is in charge of the Special Victims Unit of th

Alexandra Cooper (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • Cold Hit (Alexandra Cooper, #3)
  • The Deadhouse (Alexandra Cooper, #4)
  • The Bone Vault (Alexandra Cooper, #5)
  • The Kills (Alexandra Cooper, #6)
  • Entombed (Alexandra Cooper, #7)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
  • Killer Heat (Alexandra Cooper, #10)
  • Lethal Legacy (Alexandra Cooper, #11)