Start by marking “A Rendezvous in Averoigne” as Want to Read:
A Rendezvous in Averoigne

A Rendezvous in Averoigne

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  697 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In 1927, H.P. Lovecraft wrote about Clark Ashton Smith: "In sheer daemonic strangeness and fertility of conception, Mr. Smith is perhaps unexcelled by any other writer dead or living. Who else has seen such gorgeous, luxuriant, and feverishly distorted visions of infinite spheres and multiple dimensions and lived to tell the tale?" If you relish horror or dark fantasy, and ...more
Published 1988 by Sauk City: Arkham House

L.A.
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Smith is better than Lovecraft. There. I said it. Don't believe me? Get your hands on this and see for yourself. It's a bit of a splurge, but it's worth it - or you could just borrow mine, if we're friends.
Mark Singer
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone into weird fantasy
Recommended to Mark by: No one
I have been a fan of the fantastic fiction of Clark Ashton Smith (1893-1961) ever since I read his short story "The Uncharted Isle" when I was in my early teens. Smith, or CAS, is primarily remembered today, if at all, for his association with his literary pen-pal H P Lovecraft and the so-called Cthulhu Mythos. CAS was a master storyteller and wrote excellent weird fantasy and horror. In some respects, I even prefer his work to that of Lovecraft. In addition being a well-regarded poet, CAS was a ...more
Brian Hollingsworth
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of Clark Ashton Smith's short weird horror stories set in the eponymous region of France. The stories weave together a cohesive region of rural France forgotten by the 'modern' world of the 1930's... Indeed, many of the stories contained within are set in the Middle Ages and make excellent fairy tales.

In all a great read for just about anyone fond of myth, magic and weird horror.
Blaine
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best collection of work from an author that I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Poetic and morbid at turns; beautiful and remote at others. Clark Ashton Smith was and is one of the most unique and talented voices to write in Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, or the Weird.
Matt Kelland
I have a particular fondness for this book, because I'm the model for several of the illustrations.
Jason
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing to me that more people aren't aware of/in love with Clark Ashton Smith's short stories. I'm amazed so few were adapted to other media (thank you, Richard Corben!) because I kept thinking about what great horror movies a lot of them would make. His command of the English language is impressive. I could expand my vocabulary two-fold by studying his writing. And his ideas are twisted and original. Not every one lands well, but even the ones that aren't great still have a very real WTF ...more
Jane Keller
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Weird tales in the Lovecraft tradition.
Justin Howe
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you're going to have any CAS book, it should probably be this one. The Averoigne stories are great fun.
D
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Read: A Rendezvous in Averoigne. Great vampire story set in France during the medieval period.
Jeff
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
A wonderful collecton of CAS tales; eerily illustrated with black and white photos by J. K. Potter; for these alone the books is worth the price.
Peter Greenwell
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
You know, when you read works of the weird and supernatural from this area, you feel you've been cursed - born into an era where the English language has been stripped of its poesy and colourful motion. Would you describe a man's expression as his "vizard" today? Or shorten "bewilderment" to "wilderment"? Where you and I eat food, one once consumed "viands"...

This antiquity of writing makes this ghoulish tale, a standard vampire story by any other definition, such a bedazzlement to read. How muc
Jordan
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me forever to read Clark Ashton Smith’s work, mostly because so much of it is out of print. But I’m glad I finally got to. It’s a perfect blend of horror, fantasy, and sci-fi, often within the same story. The language is grandiloquent and lyric, with a haunting quality.
Meg
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelved-for-now
A man walks into some scary, evil woods. He says, "wow! These are some scary, evil woods." He meets a scary, evil wizard. He says, "wow! This is one scary, evil wizard." The wizard messes him up with some scary, evil magic. The man dies. The end.
Aaron Hollingsworth
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smith wrote absurdly beautiful prose with articulate sentence structures and a rich vocabulary. This is what happens when a poet of the highest degree writes strange stories for fun and profit. His weird fiction is just plain cool and worth emulation.
Jon
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Doomed, all doomed!
Carissa
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute little vampire story from the early 20th century.
Robert
John Goodrich
Sep 07, 2009
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • Noctuary
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Hastur Cycle
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales
  • Occultation and Other Stories
  • Ghost and Horror Stories
Clark Ashton Smith was a poet, sculptor, painter and author of fantasy, horror and science fiction short stories. It is for these stories, and his literary friendship with H. P. Lovecraft from 1922 until Lovecraft's death in 1937, that he is mainly remembered today. With Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, also a friend and correspondent, Smith remains one of the most famous contributors to the pulp m ...more
More about Clark Ashton Smith...