Start by marking “Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem to the Resurrection PT. 2” as Want to Read:

Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem to the Resurrection PT. 2 (Jesus of Nazareth #2)

4.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,915 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
This book is an utterly brilliant example of Benedict XVI at his very best . As a Christian apologist and exegete he rightly holds the highest position in the Church but as a teacher and intellectual evangelist he also excels . His deep understanding, novel insights, and clear exposition, make his work easy and rewarding to read . Anyone wanting an introduction to his work ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Catholic Truth Society (London)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus of Nazareth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus of Nazareth

Joseph
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Mormon, I was raised to think that we (Mormons) had the monopoly on truth. Though I've long since given up that idea (while retaining my Mormonism), I suppose there are some things so deeply ingrained in one's culture and upbringing that, no matter how one tries, will always seem to encumber one's train of thought. Reading this second installment of Pope Benedict's book on Jesus Christ was, I suppose as a consequence of my culture, a constant surprise: at every turn, it seems like Benedict ...more
Julie Davis
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite what I said the first time around (below) I have not gone back to this repeatedly. Partly because it is such demanding reading (one must pay attention!) and partly because there was always some other shiny new book I wanted to read.

After attending Stations of the Cross last Friday, though, I realized that Lent is half over and I haven't really dug into Passion week. So here I am with Pope Benedict's second Jesus of Nazareth book, marveling again at how lucid it is, how erudite, and how a
Jeff Miller
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It does seem rather superfluous to review Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection on a Catholic blog. For my own mindset a new book written by the Pope, even if as a private theologian, is all the incentive I need. It’s not as if I need to wait to see reviews come in to decide to buy it. Especially since this book is a continuation of the first book in what the Pope hopes will be completed by a third book.

My advice would be simply to just buy it, borrow
Patrick
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I've read a few "Jesus books" in my time. Outside of the Bible, this now ranks as the best of them. It's scholarly without being weasel-worded, and while not a Life of Christ in the strict sense, it's strewn with profound insights throughout. Among other things, I learned about the roots of the "High-Priestly Prayer," the significance of Jesus requisitioning a young donkey for his entrance into Jerusalem, the importance of salt, and the two traditional groups of Resurrection accounts.

Pope Bened
ΑνναΦ
In tempi nei quali la figura di Gesù Cristo e le sue ultime, drammatiche ore, sono oggetto di narrazione superficiale e dilettantesca, più per soddisfare una curiosità bulimica e incline alla fiction più becera – il riferimento agli scritti di Augias è puramente voluto – è davvero un piacere leggere un'esegesi così approfondita, colta, affatto auto referenziale, anzi, ricca di rimandi alla tradizione teologica del XX secolo e quella classica (Joachim Ringleben, Marius Reiser, Karl-Heinz Menke, T ...more
Br Stabin John Capuchin
My rating will be 4.5. I am so happy to live in an era which a legend like Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is living. The brilliance is marked by commitment makes his life more affectionate towards Christianity. The book Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two about the passion and resurrection of Jesus is a great experience for me. I read this book during the Triduum and the following days of Easter. This helped me to meditate more on the mysteries of these days. A wonderful book full of doctrinal evaluation. H ...more
Fred Warren
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the second part of Joseph Ratzinger’s three-volume opus on the life of Jesus. Like the first book, this isn’t Catholic dogma, and there’s no reason for Protestant readers to shy away from it. This series is a solid, well-researched, engagingly-written, and Biblically-focused examination of the life and person of Jesus, penned by an eminent theologian with a pastor’s heart. There’s probably a copy at your local library. Check it out.

This is a more challenging read than the first volume, m
booklady
Chapter 4 may well be my most favorite chapter this second time, though I am fairly sure I glossed over it first go through as being 'too theological' or 'not so interesting' as some of the other chapters. Aren't we always most interested in things with which we can most easily relate? In Chapter 4, PBXVI asks the (presumed) Christian lay reader to stretch in three unfamiliar and potentially challenging directions: toward greater understanding of the ministerial priesthood, Jewish tradition, and ...more
Joseph R.
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benedict continues his deep analysis of the Gospel texts to understand who Jesus is and what faith in Him brings about for believers. This book follows Jesus from His Palm Sunday entrance into the holy city of Jerusalem through the resurrection with an epilogue about His ascension. Naturally, other relevant texts from the Old Testament and the New Testament are referenced and explained in light of Jesus's passion, death, and resurrection. The songs of the Suffering Servant from Isaiah and a surp ...more
Chris Hall
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting great things from Pope Benedict XVI after reading the first part of this trilogy and I wasn't going to be disappointed. Let me just say that this book is excellent!

IF you haven't read it because you think it's a 'Catholic' book then I implore you to put down any prejudice and just read it. Benedict has written these books in such a way so they become open and personal to all Christians.

This book follows the ministry of Jesus during the Holy Week up to his crucifixion and resurrec
Barron
I finished this book early this morning before bed. It is an excellent work and you do not need to read Part One before reading this book. I do, however, intend to read part one at some point in time.

There is much theology in this book so it can get pretty deep at times. However, it is very readable in most parts and the lay person should have no problem understanding most of it. The nice thing about it is that there is a Glossary in the back of the book that was put together by the publishers s
Darryl
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pope Benedict's 'Jesus of Nazareth' is a testimony to a man who has spent his life learning about and loving God. This book will be one I turn to in the future when I want to reference the events of Holy Week.

Pope Benedict's understanding of Scriptures, the Church Fathers, and the History/tradition of the Church, gives competent understanding to the most important week in the history of the world.

Each important event in Holy Week is looked at, and various viewpoints from different exegetes
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary: The Pope follows Jesus starting from his entrance into Jerusalem and ending with his Ressurection.

Review: I read this book throughout Holy Week and I think that I will do it again. It is so deep that I couldn't understand it all, but the Spirit moved me to a greater understanding of moments within Holy Week. It helped me to focus on the events of Holy Week even outside of the day's services. My favorite part this time around was sitting with Christ in the Garden. Being able to read tha
Thadeus
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I think the most impactful part for me on this first read was the epilogue and its discussion of Jesus being one with the Father and being present to us in that way. Very powerful!

This is such a well written book. Very accessible to read straight through, but so much to ponder and so many biblical and other references included. Well put together! Includes bibliography, glossary, and index of proper names and subjects. Text ends on page 293.

Highly recommended for someone
Carol
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was read as a Lenten Devotional with discussions
featured by St Ignatious Press on Facebook. Pope Benedict
writes a book that is clear, easily understood and very
inspirational. It is a book I will definitely read again to
savor more deeply what the Pope wrote.
Matthew
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This is one of the best books about Jesus I have ever read. I love the writings of Joseph Ratzinger and this one exceeded all my expectations. I highly recommend this book.
Nicolás
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give this man a pen and he can destroy your heart, together with your arguments.

Dale a este hombre una pluma y podría destruirte el corazón, junto con tus argumentos.
Amanda
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I'd highlighted, the whole thing would be yellow
Jeffrey
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book on the Lord's Passion and Resurrection. Truly draws you into the meaning of these pivotal events and their significance and how they shape the Christian's daily life.
Bojan Tunguz
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In "Jesus of Nazareth Part Two" Pope Benedict sets out to finish his reflections on the life and significance of Jesus of Nazareth. The fact that this second and final book covers "just" the last week or so of Jesus' earthly ministry is the reflection of the impact and importance of that one week, which culminated in crucifixion that was followed by the glorious resurrection. The amount of space that is devoted to the Holy Week also reflects the fact that the Gospels themselves allocate a signif ...more
Emilia P
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: churrrch
Papa Bbbbbb. Is this what keeps you up at night? You are very nerdy about it.
Sometimes you get Jewish stuff weirdly wrong or don't explain where you're coming from it in a way that makes sense. In the end this book is basically like "Jesus goes beyond our human experience and understanding and how awesome is that" and that is great, but other people have said it as well or better (eep!). I think this one is more loosely edited than the Baptism etc one. But it's good. It's great. It is pretty muc
Earl
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
... one which we can consider as a guide to the heart and soul of Christianity.
Jason
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church
I'm using this book as part of my Holy Week devotions - each chapter is devoted to one day (a couple of chapters for one day, 2x) during the Holy Week, and it has been a really good experience for me. Benedict is a biblical scholar through and through, and he writes this book as a historical survey of what the gospels and church tradition say about Jesus' activites during Holy Week, and how that speaks to us throughout history and today.

This book walks that perfect line between pastoral and sch
Diana
Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is one of the leading intellectuals of our time. I have read several of his books, and I found this one to be as intelligent, well written and insightful as the others. This book, however, surpasses the others, in that it sets forth the foundations of Catholicism, and, indeed, of all Christianity. Benedict meticulously explains Scriptural passages and their different levels of meaning, and he convincingly demonstrates how Jesus Christ fulfilled what the prophets foreto ...more
Robert Federline
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second book in the Pope's trilogy on the life of Jesus, and his historical, physical presence on the Earth. As with the first volume, a great effort is made to examine competing theories about exactly who Jesus was as a person.

Consistent with the prior work, the Holy Scriptures are the starting point. Pope Benedict proves that one need not abandon any belief in the Scriptural Jesus, as the Son of God, and how he is portrayed in the Gospels, in order to discover something about the man wh
Paul
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever read (I even read the glossary). Regardless of whether you agreed with his conservative pontificate or not, Pope Benedict XVI is a brilliant theologian whose works will be read for hundreds of years. Some excerpts:

"Only if Jesus is risen has anything really new occurred that changes the world and the situation of mankind. Then he becomes the criterion on which we can rely. For then God has truly revealed himself."

"It is faith that gives us the ultimate ce
Naomi Young
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, catholic
I enjoyed this book, but reading it did point up to me that I've gotten unused to really demanding reading. Benedict writes lucidly, but with complex structure and vocabulary that are the absolute antithesis of my web-fed habits. I went through this book laboriously slowly, because I kept rereading some paragraphs to absorb them more deeply, and others because they were so beautiful I wanted to hear them out loud.

The scope of the book is covered in its subtitle. Gospel episodes that seemed fami
Pat Gohn
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great continuation from Vol. 1. Most readers will benefit from the insights Benedict makes regarding the scriptures that touch the familiar liturgical cycle for Lent and Easter. Chapter 9 on the Resurrection is must-reading, as the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead is critical to all things. For new readers to Benedict's writings, you may wish to read Chapter 9 first, to zero in on where all his exegesis is going, then re-read from front to back.
Ce
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tob
Joseph Ratzinger has guided me to get to know Jesus as my personal Savior. Many of the ontological questions in my life have found its time to be answered while reading his 1st and his 2nd book. The academic language and structure that he uses, makes it easier to follow and keep on discovering step by step new lights of Jesus life, while reflecting on how these are still real in our daily life. What a blessing to have his writtings!
Louise
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during Holy Week and I heartily recommend "Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The Resurrection" to all Christians who want to understand Jesus and His teachings better, to be closer to Jesus Christ. It is a very scholarly book but not difficult to read. I will never again experience reading the gospels in the same way. This book had a profound impact on me.
  • Lumen Fidei: The Light of Faith
  • Theology and Sanity
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Life of Christ
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Catherine of Siena
Pope Benedict XVI (Latin: Benedictus PP. XVI; Italian: Benedetto XVI; German: Benedikt XVI.; born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger on 16 April 1927) was the 265th Pope, by virtue of his office of Bishop of Rome, the Sovereign of the Vatican City State and the head of the Catholic Church. He was elected on 19 April 2005 in a papal conclave, celebrated his Papal Inauguration Mass on 24 April 2005, and too ...more
More about Pope Benedict XVI

Jesus of Nazareth (3 books)
  • Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“The blessing hands of Christ are like a roof that protects us. But at the same time, they are a gesture of opening up, tearing the world open so that heaven my enter in, may become "present" within it.” 10 likes
“Ultimately, in the battle against lies and violence, truth and love have no other weapon than the witness of suffering.” 7 likes