Start by marking “Newuniversal Volume 1: Everything Went White” as Want to Read:
Newuniversal Volume 1: Everything Went White

Newuniversal Volume 1: Everything Went White

undefined
Published August 29th 2007 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Newuniversal Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newuniversal Volume 1

Start your review of Newuniversal Volume 1: Everything Went White
Paul E. Morph
This may be my favourite work of Warren Ellis’... which is more than a little frustrating, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I was a fan of a couple of the original New Universe books back in ‘86 (mainly Star Brand and Spitfire and, yes, I’m old; what of it?) so I was intrigued when this reboot was first published to mark the twentieth anniversary of this mostly-forgotten sideline. To be honest, I’m genuinely surprised Marvel didn’t just want to leave it forgotten, as it was hardly a runaway suc
mark monday
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicon
the New Universe imprint celebrated Marvel's 25th anniversary with a whole new universe outside of Marvel continuity; this place would have people who gain powers solely via the mysterious White Event - no mutants, no super science, no aliens, no magic, none of that. It also had new rules: be realistic and take place in real time. The imprint's line of 8 titles all crashed and burned within 3 years. some celebration! despite the talent of many of its writers, the imprint was plagued with unexcit ...more
Jesse
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the original series and Warren Ellis
This is Warren Ellis, so I expected nothing short of excellent and I was not disappointed. He smoothly brings the ideas of the original Marvel series into his own style as well as a more current timeline and setting. He truly brings out the iconic nature of these mythic archetypes. The art is top notch as well and provides you with a visual feast to go with the story. I always liked the character of Justice in the original series, but now he blazes to life with cold rage at the wrongs done by th ...more
Clint
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I read only a few comics a year, and I usually like them, they're just too expensive. But I found this at an incredible bargain, and it kicked ass. I like Warren Ellis, and he doesn't disappoint here. A lot of the other reviews said the first Newuniversal was horrible, but I wouldn't know, I never read it. But this is really good. I would really like to know what's going to happen next, but I don't know if the series is continued. Anyone know?
Brad
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
The best part of this book is Warren Ellis picking apart the scrapheap of one of Marvel's failures of the 1980s, the New Universe, and turning it into something mildly thought-provoking and fairly fun. He imbues not especially memorable characters with some neat ideas and scifi mumbo-jumbo, and makes them respectable, if not interesting.
(The only New Universe book I remember was Kickers, Inc., a nonsensical title that isn't name-dropped here.) Yes, the world-spanning plot is a bit too reminisce
47Time
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The premise here is brilliant: a strange event gives a few people abilities for a special Earth event. The regular humans are more than ready not only to mobilize regular troops against what they perceive as a threat, but also a secret organization that handled superhumans decades before. It's this fear of what they don't undestrand that leads them to act to maintain the status quo.

The White Event results in the creation of several superpowered individuals. In Latvia a landslide exposes an ancie
Josh
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Call it 4.5 stars.

I knew nothing about this when I picked it up. I understand that there is some level of connection to distant Marvel titles, but as a reboot of the story, "Everything Went White" stands effectively in its own right.

Ellis has already proven himself through his writing with superhuman comics and other series. Picking up an Ellis comic, I expect complex sci-fi / fantasy plots, humor, grittiness, and deeper--sometimes philosophical--themes. newuniversal delivers on all of these exp
Stewart Tame
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun! If the original New Universe titles had been this good, they wouldn't have been cancelled. As is probably true of most comics fans of a certain age, I bought all of Marvel's New Universe titles when they came out back in the mid-80's or so. I haven't read them since. They're tucked away in long boxes in the basement awaiting posterity or mold or nostalgia on my part or something. What Warren Ellis has done with this book is to breathe new life into them, sort of an Ultimate New Univers ...more
Brian
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Warren Ellis' 'reboot' of the 1986 New Universe from Marvel....way back when I was starting to collect comics. I only wish this included my favorite title from that line: D.P.7 written by Oshkosh native Mark Gruenwald. Otherwise, a nice visit back to this universe.
Gabriel
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, yeah, I have a lot of affection for the New Universe. But that is definitely not a prerequisite-- pretend that it never existed and this will still be an awesome series. It's mostly Ellis being Ellis, and not at all Ellis being Jim Shooter.
C.
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josh
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Authority, Planetary, Supreme Power
Shelves: comics
Heyyyy! it's Warren Ellis. Otherwise, I would've bought copies of this book just to burn it. Marvel's mid-eighties concoction, "New Universe," which consisted of some half a dozen titles featuring as many characters, was separate from the entire continuity of the Marvel Universe. It was terrible. This is a re-launch of that, with Ellis taking the same characters and concepts, and updating them for the 21st Century. I think it could've warranted being an "Ultimates" title, though I suppose that's ...more
Jay
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
Yes, as others have commented, the faces can be a bit distracting. I felt that I recognized too many of the characters as facsimiles of actors. That aside, the art is pretty good overall. I've been a fan of Larroca's for a while, and it's usually quite consistent. I read the graphic novel that collects issues 1-6. The writing by Ellis is good, though I have to admit that at the end of issue one I had zero investment in any of the characters and felt that too much was being introduced in that sin ...more
Travis
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
A noble, if only mildly successful attempt to take a bunch of pretty weak characters created in the 80's and rework them into something cool.

Putting all these characters into one series a good idea. Gives it a nice ensemble feel. Like the TV show 'Heroe's, except in NewUniversal things actually seem to be happening.
At the same time, Warren makes the same mistake as 'Heroes' in thinking that cynical and slightly messed up = realistic and while it does mean that most of the characters have more p
Mouse
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I remember Marvel's 'New Universe' back in the 80's and I remember how it fell flat on its face waaay quick. I'm not sure how this ties in to it but I was surprised at how good this book was.
This book is well written and quite thought provoking at times, it dabbles in science, religion, politics, ethics, and so much more.
The characters are very real and it has a sort of Watchmen type vibe to it. I love the part where Connell gets his powers, that part felt very much like Tetsuo's awakening
Garrett
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Expanding upon the original 1986 New Universe, Warren Ellis here applies his formula: Cool Smart People + Weird Fuckers + Major Metaphysical Event = Cool Comic Story. I wish there had been more of this - unfortunately, it looks like this went the way of the original New Universe and died on the vine very shortly after this point. There might be a second volume out there called NewUniversal: Shockfront, so I'm on the lookout for that. I enjoyed this, found it typically strange and clever, but wit ...more
Andrew Uys
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from the amazing Mr. Warren Ellis, the NewUniversal world is making a big comeback in Jonathan Hickman's Avengers series, and this earlier work (though not the 1st material for the NewUniversal line - for that one must look to the 80's....I think;) serves as the inspiration. Fun read!
Noah Soudrette
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was never a reader of the old Marvel New Universe titles, but Warren Ellis' reimagining of their concepts is an excellent read, and it's always nice to see Ellis in control of his own world. This is all very much set up, so I'm interested to see where this goes.
Tyler
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic writing and artwork by two of my favorite people in the business. Well paced and put together. My favorite aspect of the book is the portrayal of superhumans in a very frighteningly alien way. Very disappointed that they barely continued what would have been a fantastic series.
Alex
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I enjoyed this comic. Its been awhile since one really grabbed me like this one. Hope to continue the story.
Lesley
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended reading to help understand Hickman's current Avengers run. Liked it a whole lot! The celebrity photo referencing is a bit much.
Sonic
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent, … though it feels like a build-up, …

… a build-up for what?
I don't know, …

is there a book 2?
Jason Tanner
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this was the opening act of a roughly 3-year long story that will never be finished, and that's too bad, because it was a really good first act.
Adam
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
In 1986, Marvel Comics created a new comics universe called The New Universe. The idea was that this new universe would be completely divorced from the 25 years of continuity of the already established universe; it would feature new characters and situations, etc. The longest-running title lasted some three years before the whole New Universe concept more or less disappeared.

Fast forward twenty ears: writer Warren Ellis has taken the bare-bones concepts of the New Universe and created the stand-
Mely
May 04, 2013 marked it as read-seq-art  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superheroes
A "White Event" creates four superhumans who are meant to lead to the next stage of human evolution yadda yadda yadda. There have been previous White Events, though, and the last one had two of the superhumans pair up and conceive a child -- whereupon the NSA decided to kill them all to prevent humans from becoming obsolete.

This was an attempt to do a new Marvel continuity with many fewer ties to the traditional comicsverse -- occasionally names you know are mentioned, but they're never major an
Chris
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, graphicnovels
I bought this based on the strength of Warren Ellis' writing but the art absolutely killed this book for me. It seems a trend in comics lately has been to appropriate celebrity likenesses for character designs. All the characters in this book look like the artist copied them out of production stills from movies and television shows. At first glance, I recognize Josh Holloway from Lost, Angelina Jolie, James Cromwell, Johnny Depp, and Bruce Willis.

I am sure art like this is to someone's tastes,
Jason
Needlessly graphic (no pun intended) re-envisioning of the "New Coke" of the comics world with a Starbrand who looks like Sawyer from Lost. ...more
Matt
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun seeing Josh Holloway, Bruce Willis, James Cromwell, Kevin Spacey and Gene Hackman in a comic. Too bad it's another bloated Warren Ellis mega-verse, high on concept and low on making me give a shit.
Jin
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This series could've been great, the plot and the upcoming twists are just building-up on this book. The art is neat but a little troubling since most characters are hollywood actors and actresses look-a-like. I hope Ellis will someday find a way to finish this series!"
Daniel
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Some cool ideas, moment-to-moment writing and art are (unsurprisingly) excellent, but it's a slow burn that is unfortunately never resolved due to the series' hiatus and eventual cancellation after this volume.

• Ms. Marvel, Volume 3: Operation Lightning Storm
  • Wolverine: Origins, Volume 4: Our War
  • Agents of Atlas
  • The New Avengers, Volume 7: The Trust
  • Wolverine: Origins, Volume 5: Deadpool
  • Amazing Spider-Girl, Volume 1: Whatever Happened to the Daughter of Spider-Man
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 2: Crusade
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 3: Nimrod
  • The New Avengers, Volume 6: Revolution
  • New Excalibur - Volume 3: Battle for Eternity
  • Blade: Sins of the Father
  • Punisher War Journal, Vol. 4: Jigsaw
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T