Start by marking “The Itsy Bitsy Spider” as Want to Read:
The Itsy Bitsy Spider

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Board book edition. The spirited and irresistible itsy bitsy spider has captured the hearts of generations of children by climbing up that water spout. Now she's back—on a new magical journey!

This all-new itsy bitsy spider has exciting encounters with a fan, a mouse, a rocking chair, a cat and a big maple tree. Finally, the itsy bitsy spider finds a lovely spot to rest and
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Itsy Bitsy Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Start your review of The Itsy Bitsy Spider
Ms. Shoshana
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It always works well at story time - both kids and caregivers like it. All the verses are easy to sing and it fits well with the original first verse.
Gabriella Norat
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
Awards: This book has not received any awards

Appropriate grade level: Pre-k through 2nd

Summary:
This nursery rhyme is about a spider who continues throughout the book to climb up different objects, but faces different obstacles as it tries. The spider does not let obstacles get in its way and continues to try climbing again and again. At the end of the book, the spider is able to climb up a tree and spin its silky web with ease.

My Review:
This book is a wonderful age-appropriate example of a
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Jackie Douthat
For young children I really like using picture books along with nursery rhymes. Sometimes it's because I can't remember all the words to the different songs but it also gives the young students something to look at and touch as I read/sing them out loud.
Sheila
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I thought my daughter would enjoy this book more than she did. For some reason, even though this is a classic sing-along, act-along song, this was not one of her favorites. It usually ended up on the bottom of a pile, with some other book selected by her for reading.
Laura McLoughlin
Featured at a recent bug themed story time. The kids all enjoyed it, but if it had been my house the itsy bitsy spider crawling up my walls would have been squished.
Jessica
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
1. This book has not received any awards.
2. This book is appropriate for PreK-1st grade.
3. The well-known song the"The Itsy Bitsy Spider" was reinvented within this book. We all know the tune and words to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" but Trapani adds additional adventures for the little spider. The Itsy Bitsy Spider does much more than climb up the water spout. In this book rendition of the song, the friendly spider goes head to head with a fan, a mouse, a rocking chair, and so much more before
Lydia Erakare
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
1. This book has not received any awards.

2. This book is appropriate for PreK-1st grade.

3. Trapani has reinvented the well-known song "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" in this book. We all know the tune and words to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" but not all of the extra adventures that come in this story. The Itsy Bitsy Spider does much more than climb up the water spout in Trapani's rendition. In this song, the friendly spider goes head to head with a fan, a mouse, a rocking chair, and so much more before
Dayna Stechel
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

1. Awards the book has received: this book did not receive any awards

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for preschool through first grade.

3. Original 3-line summary: The Itsy Bitsy Spider is about a spider that goes through many obstacles to try to made a web again. The rain, the fan, a mouse, a cat, and some dew on a tree all get in the way of the itsy bitsy spider spinning a web again. At the end, she is finally able to rest in the sun on her web after the tree dried off.
Jaclyn Sibley
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhyme
Awards: no rewards received
Grade: preschool/kindergarten
Summary: The Itsy Bitsy Spider was climbing about until the rain washed the spider down. The spider then took an adventure in the house and then also outside to try and find a perfect spot for a new web. Eventually, the spider climbed a tall tree and spun the web up top to relax in the sun!
Review: I really liked this story as it expanded on the nursery rhyme I was once so familiar with. The illustrations are very well done and work very
Autumn
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery
1. Awards received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for preschool to kindergarten

3. Summary: This book incorporates the original Itsy Bitsy Spider rhyme, but includes an additional 5 verses with even more rhyme. The spider experiences climbing a spout, climbing a kitchen wall, climbing up a yellow pail, climbing up a maple tree, and climbing up a rocking chair. The spider eventually finds her peace in a web amongst the sun.

4. I like
Mikhaila Ackerbauer
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards the book has received (if any): None

Appropriate grade level(s): Pre-K through 1st grade.

Original 3-line summary: The little spider began an adventure of climbing up several different objects and coming against obstacles. SOme obstacles that the spider overcomes are rain, dew and a mouse. Yet, every time the spider gave her best attempt and finally reached a lovely spot in a tree where she spun her web and rested.

Original 3-line review: This nursery rhyme is a definite classic because the
Ashley
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grade level: Preschool-First Grade
Awards: None
Summary: The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trapani is the board book version of the classic nursery rhyme the Itsy Bitsy Spider. In this story though the spider encounters a mouse, a chair, and a fan for example. This new rendition of the classic nursery rhyme will have children wanting to read this story over and over again.
Review: I have loved the classic nursery rhyme since I was younger and I love sharing it with young students. The students enjoy
Danielle
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350-01
Darlene Pasquale
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
1) no awards
2) Appropriate grade level - Pre k-2nd grade
3) Summary - This is more of a story book version of the classic, “Itsy Bitsy Spider” song. The “story” is narrated by what appears to be a little girl wearing pink polka dot socks. The spider goes on many new small adventures throughout the book.
4) Review - The bright colorful illustrations in this book will add appeal to a young reader. Children can find connections as many of them know and love the traditional song. However, the book
Jessica Steward
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
1 - No awards.

2 - Kindergarten to 2nd grade

3 - The spider attempted to crawl up various surfaces (the water spout, the kitchen wall, the yellow bucket, the chair, and the tree), and each time she got knocked down by something. However, after waiting a little while, she made her way back up each surface and does it successfully. Finally, she climbs up a tree, and makes a web in the branches and then relaxes in the sun.

4 - This is a great book to discuss rhyming with. It can be a very
Rachael
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery
This book is good for students in preschool through kindergarten.

This book features a spider who climbs up a waterspout during a rainstorm. She gets washed away, spinning through a fan, into a house, and back outside. The spider stumbles into many obstacles before he makes it safely up a tree where she finally makes a web and relaxes.

This is a great extension of the classic rhyme that many kids know and love. Paired with finger movements, students love this story. I like how this version added
Michelle Rachitoff
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awards if any: No awards
Appropriate grade levels: Appropriate for children in preschool to kindergarten.
3 Line Summary : This is a nursery rhyme about spiders that climb up a sprout. They are washed away when it rains. They later climb back up the sprout when the sun reappears.
3 Line review: This is a simple nursery rhyme that young children will be able to sing by themselves after a few repetitions. It is also interactive and this will keep them engaged. Its not a long nursery rhyme so they
Cara LoPresti
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
1. This book has not won any awards.
2. This book is appropriate for PreK through 2nd grade
3. Summary- This book is about a spider who faces many obstacles, but continues to get back up every single time. He is pushed out of a waterspout, blown off a wall, flicked off a pail, knocked off a rocking chair and slipped off a maple tree. Finally, she tries one last time and is able to create a web where she can relax.
4. Review- This book is really cute and very fun for children. It adds on to the
Anthony Minieri
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nursery Rhymes
Awards: N/A
Appropriate Grade Levels: PK-1
Summary: The Itsy Bitsy Spider is one of the most classic nursery rhymes ever, and is recreated in this book that takes readers on a whole new journey with this famous spider. Some new encounters include one with a fan, a mouse, a rocking chair, and finally--the perfect spot to start a new web.
Review: This version of the story comes in board book format therefore, it is easy for very young children to handle independently. This particular
Laura De
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awards: N/A

Grade Levels: Pre-k to Kindergarten

Original Summary: This book was about a little spider who would climb an object and then something crazy would occur and cause the spider to fall down. This however did not stop the little spider, it continued to climb no matter what. It did not let anything stop it from achieving its goals.

Original Review: This book is the perfect example to show children that they should always try their hardest at everything and never give up. It is a great way
Isabel Amoedo
Dec 09, 2018 added it
Shelves: nursery
Awards the book has received (if any)

Appropriate grade level(s)
K-1

Original summary
This book features the itsy bitsy spider from the classic nursery rhyme climbing up various objects. With some determination, she climbed to the top of a tree and was able to make her web there.

Original review
This book shows that hard work and determination pay off. If you fall down get up and try again! The back of the book features the sheet music for the song that goes along with the story.

1-2 possible
Nicole Schofield
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery
I thought Iza Trapani did a great job writing this book. I loved seeing all the new adventurers that the spider encountered. Throughout the story some of her adventures included encountering a mouse, a water pail, a cat, a fan and so much more. As the spider meets all these new objects she is faced with challenges. This book is appropriate for preschool children through second grade. This is a great example of a nursery rhyme. The words of this book can be easily remembered because it is a ...more
Randee Bontrager
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trapani is a classic children's book. This book has always been about the spider going up the water spout. This time the spider encounters so more places or people. It encounters a rocking chair, a car, mouse, and a tree. She spun her web at the very top of the tree and rested in the sun. I have always loved this book because you can sing and do actions while reading this book. The illustrations keep the reader wanting to read it.

The intended audience for this book
Kia Nguyen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1.)Awards the book has received (if any): No awards
2.)Appropriate grade level(s): Pre-k-2nd Grade
3.)Original 3-line summary: The tiny spider climbed up the water spout, down came the rain and washed the tiny spider out. However, the spider did not give up. When the sun came up, it dried up all the rain and the tiny spider climbed up the water spout again.
4.)Original 3-line review: This is one of my favorite childhood songs. However, when I was a child, it was hard for me to do the hand
Tara Pinelli
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1.) No awards
2.) Appropriate grade levels: Preschool-kindergarten
3.) Original 3 line summary: This book begins with the classic song. In this story, the spider encounters many different obstacles before finally spinning a web and relaxing. Some of these obstacles are; a fan, mouse, cat, and many more.
4.) Original 3 line review: I liked how the book begins with the song that most of us are familiar with. I also liked how the author continued the spider's journey and made the story longer. I also
Courtney Dromazos
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-nursery-rhymes
Awards: none

Grades: Pre-K-K

Summary: The Itsy Bitsy Spider is the classic nursery rhyme with a few additional verses. The verses feature the itsy bitsy spider visiting different areas of the home following the same lyrical pattern. The itsy bitsy spider ends up happy in her newly spun web in the sun.

Review: Many students will be familiar with this nursery rhyme from home, which makes it perfect to include in the classroom. Students will be comforted by the familiarity of the rhyme and enjoy
Elizabeth Banville
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
1. N/A
2. UPK
3. This book is includes the nursery rhyme "I'm a Little Teapot". The author of this book also expands on the original nursery rhyme.
4. The illustrations demonstrate the words that go along with the lines of this book. The author was very creative to come up with the extended version of this nursery rhyme.
5. a) Children can do the dance that goes along with this song
b) Create a water spout using a water table and PVC pipe that is cut in half. Have the children make the spider crawl
Meghann Sniffen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awards the book has received (if any): none
Appropriate grade level(s): preschool
Original 3-line summary: The nursery rhyme the itsy bitsy spider gets a twist! Instead of the spider going directly back up the spout he takes a little detour. He goes through the house and on an adventure all the way back up the spout.
Original 3-line review: I wish this book was around when I learned about the itty bitsy spider because it gets the children involved and engaged. The nursery rhyme will stick with the
Jackie Sisley
The Itsy Bitsy Spider is not only a book with the lyrics to the original song but also a continuation of the adventures of the spider. I really enjoyed this continuation as it encourages its readers to stay determined, keep trying, and work hard to earn the things you want. This is a great lesson for children! The book also has the music and lyrics of the original song in the back which could be used for older children who are learning music. This book can either be read normally or sung; I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• LMNO Peas
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • No, David!
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!
  • My Big Train Book