Start by marking “Canary Island Song (Hideaway #2)” as Want to Read:
Canary Island Song (Hideaway #2)

Canary Island Song

(Hideaway #2)

When Carolyn's grown daughter tells her she needs to "get a life," Carolyn decides it's time to step out of her familiar routine as a single woman in San Francisco and escape to her mother's home in the Canary Islands. Since Carolyn's mother is celebrating her seventieth birthday, the timing of Carolyn's visit makes for a perfect surprise.

The surprise, however, is on Caro
Published July 5th 2011 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Canary Island Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canary Island Song

Start your review of Canary Island Song (Hideaway #2)
Janet
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was the second book in the hideaway series.

I have enjoyed Robins' books for years but after reading this one I wonder if I have outgrown her.

I enjoyed the Christy and Todd books and also the Sisterchick books but this one just didn't sit well with me.

Carolyn goes to visit her mom and for a week, her daughter then shows up.
Her twin sister is never heard from again. I just didn't get the enjoyment out of this book.
Lydia Therese
Canary Island Song by Robin Jones Gunn is the second book in the Hideaway series.

I wanted to read this book because it told the story of how Todd's father got married. I absolutely adore the Christy Miller series, so I was excited to start this book.

However, it was just such a boring book. There were a lot of pointless scenes about Carolyn's life before she went off to the Canary Islands which I didn't care about. The Spanish stereotypes annoyed me and there were many, many scenes which just d
Marguerite Gray
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very relaxing as I'm under stay at home orders. This way I can travel to an exotic place--the Canary Islands. I've ordered Under a Maui Moon and hope for another great read.
April
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Canary Islands sound beautiful. There were some great thought provoking moments in the story.
I like the statement that is attributed to Columbus in the book - "The time that is passed has been good. The time to come will be better."

Carolyn visits her mother in the Canary Islands and meets Bryan Spencer again. She met him when she visited at 18. He was one of her first loves. But she went home and married another love - Jeff. At the time of the story, Jeff has been dead for 7 years.
Carolyn an
Denise
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Robin Jones Gunn has done it again! She's written a very sweet, touching story set in the Canary Islands. She does a great job of bringing the reader to the islands. I feel as if I've had a vacation. Main character, Carolyn, finds rekindled love as she visits her mother. She finds healing from the hurts of her past and is ready for a new beginning. Her daughter, Tikki, is also visiting the island and gets a surprise visit that changes the course of her life as well. There are blessings scattered ...more
Keri Murcray
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am a HUGE fan of Robin Jones Gunn and this book was no exception. She is such a gifted author and I really loved this story. I loved the lessons that Carolyn learned and it was wonderful to add learn more about Todd's dad Bryan. A wonderful book that I'm sure I will read again.

Last read September 2011
Patty
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I generally give "Inspirational" books a miss, but I thought the Canary Islands setting might make up for all the religious drivel. The setting and general story was okay, but I had to fast forward through all the platitudes and propaganda.
Tara
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite Robin Jones Gunn books are the Christy books and I love that there was a connection to them within this book
Kim
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't have any real expectations for the actual story, but it was pretty funny to hear about this 45 year old woman who told her story as if she was an 85 year old woman incapable of love. Really?

Otherwise, it was a nice story.
Kelly
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Robin Jones Gunn. I like how I get to visit other characters in some of her other books when I read ones that are not in the same series. I love the message in this book, and how well it demonstrates God's ability to change a person's heart.
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Easy read, I loved the Spain setting, and the relationship between mother and daughter. A nice link to the Christy Miller series.
Angelyn
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: robin-jones-gunn
Slow setup of story and characters. So I really enjoyed the last quarter of the book once everything got going.
Sara
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This made me want to go and visit the Canary Islands.
Susan Reyna
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful! I cried happy tears!
Mandie
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel like I was visiting the Canaries myself! I loved it!
Debbie Beeman
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book I didn’t want it to end.
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Title: CANARY ISLAND SONG
Author Robin Jones Gunn
Publisher: Howard Books
July 2011
ISBN: 978-1-4165-8341-7
Genre: Contemporary romance

When Carolyn’s grown daughter tells her she needs to “get a life,” Carolyn decides it’s time to step out of her familiar routine as a single woman in San Francisco and escape to her mother’s home in the Canary Islands. Since Carolyn’s mother is celebrating her seventieth birthday, the timing of Carolyn’s visit makes for a perfect surprise.

The surprise, however, is on
Lena Morrison
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Robin Jones Gunn,

I didn't find this book as good as I had hoped. There are a few reasons for that.
1. Carolyn is a much older protagonist than Christy, Sierra, or Katie, so it was just unusual. When I read one of your Sisterchick books more than a year ago, I felt the same way. I relate a lot more to younger characters, especially because they are my age. I also find it more entertaining to read when they are
Trinity Rose
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Robin Jones Gunn. I love books about mother/daughter relationships and Canary Island Song is just that with romances included.
Carolyn lives in the US, but after being widowed for seven years and different things happening in her life, Carolyn decides to visit her Mom, for her 70th birthday in the Canary Islands. There Carolyn is reunited with her old boyfriend from her teen years and learns some new things and has many adventures.
Carolyn and Bryan are so sweet in thei
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Often times we have to accept our lot in life. Whatever choices we have made along the way are personalized just for us.

When life dealt Carolyn a tough hand, she dealt with it the best way she could. She coped on the outside, put on a smile when need be, and avoided the subject of her husband, Jeff's death. Even after so many years the grief remained buried deep inside. As long as no one mentioned it, she could ignore it.

Yet, life was passing her by! Her twin sister, Marilyn is already married a
Leah
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Second chances. Carolyn is in need of them and she is going to get them in this wonderful stand alone novel by Robin Jones Gunn.

Carolyn's twin sister, Marilyn and her two daughters had been living with her for the past few years and now Marilyn has remarried giving Carolyn a second chance at living on her own. She gets into redecorating and even finds a guy to date, which is something her young adult daughter, Tikki, wants her to do.

When problems with the man arise, Carolyn decides it is time to
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Carolyn decides to take a trip the Canary Islands to visit her mom, she never thought she would run into Bryan Spencer, the man she fell for twenty-five years before during a summer visit. As circumstances throw them together, Carolyn begins to feel again, for the first time since her husband's death seven years before. With the Canary Island song bringing her healing, will it also bring her a second chance with Bryan?

I think I say it every time I read a Robin Jones Gunn book, but she is th
Melissa
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 5-stars
Goodreads does not have enough stars for me to rate this book!!!! This book was AMAZING!!! This story as well as "Under A Maui Moon" were both wonderful reads and very much reminded me of Robin's Sisterchick novels (which I dearly miss)in the story of three generations of lovely ladies and their relationships with each other and the Lord and how they grow in these relationships. I also loved the connections between the characters of this book and Robin's earlier series "The Christy Miller Series ...more
Lyndi
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Carolyn’s family moved to the United States from the Canary Islands in search of opportunity. Carolyn has now been widowed for seven years and decides to visit her mother who returned to the islands many years ago. I found much of the book, which is concerned mainly with Carolyn’s religious and romantic life, very off-putting. However, in the course of the story, the author creates an abstraction, “the Women of the Canary’s,” and I did find the book somewhat fascinating as an ethnographic study ...more
Janna Ryan
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Robin Jones Gunn is well known for her YA books and her SisterChicks books. Here we have a book that reminds me a little of the SisterChicks books except instead of best friends we have Carolyn who is at a crossroads in her life, her mother who lives in the Canary Islands and her daughter who just can't get her boyfriend to commit. These 3 generations all learn a lot about each other and themselves when they take a little time to discover what's important. I loved the setting of this book and th ...more
Melissa
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gunn's ability to immerse the reader in the setting of her novels elevates a meaningful story to magical. Realistic situations involving family and loss will resonate with readers.
SUMMARY: Carolyn has been struggling with moving forward after the loss of her husband seven years before. After speaking with her adult daughter, Carolyn decides to visit her mother in the Canary Islands, a place she hasn't been back to since she was a young woman. Once there, Carolyn begins to learn more about hersel
Pamela Hubbard
I love the settings that Robin Jones Gunn uses in her books. She always sets up such vivid pictures of the places and makes the readers feel as if they are there. In this book, Gunn's character deals with the grief of tragically losing her husband and learning how to move on in life. Part of this journey involves visiting her mother in the Canary Islands and learning to open her heart to someone she once loved, as well as learning to trust in God's ways again, despite the unfairness of life some ...more
Michele Minor
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn has lost her husband seven years ago and she needs to get her heart back from her grief. When she travels to the Canary Islands for her mom’s seventieth birthday she runs into Bryan Spencer an old friend of hers when she first traveled to the Canaries as a teenager. Carolyn finds it hard at first that Bryan could be interested in her romantically but gradually grows to learn to love again. This book also shows the mother daughter relationships instead of just the romantic relationships. ...more
Misti
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Finding herself at a point in her life where she is ready for a new adventure, Carolyn goes to visit her mother in the Canary Islands. There, she meets Bryan Spencer, who was her teenage crush years ago when she first visited the islands. But before she can enter into a relationship, Carolyn must deal with her own emotions related to her husband's tragic death seven years previously.

If you enjoy inspirational romance novels featuring mature protagonists, this is worth a read. I enjoyed the descr
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Canary Island Song - 12th July Book 1 1 Jul 29, 2013 11:54AM

• And the Shofar Blew
  • Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy, #2)
  • To the Moon and Back (The Baxter Family, #3)
  • When We Were Young (The Baxter Family, #4)
  • Two Weeks (The Baxter Family, #5)
  • Finding Home (Baxter Family Children, #2)
  • On a Summer Tide (Three Sisters Island #1)
  • Leota's Garden
  • Strands of Truth
  • The Returning
  • Looking Into You
  • The Promise of Jesse Woods
  • June Bug
  • Not in the Heart
  • Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)
  • Every Secret Thing
  • Borders of the Heart
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 100 books with more than 5.5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide. Her Father Christmas books have been made into 3 Hallmark movies. Her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years and The Baby Years. Robin's novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and ...more

Hideaway (3 books)
  • Under a Maui Moon (Hideaway, #1)
  • Cottage by the Sea (Hideaway #3)