Start by marking “The Acts of the Apostles (Sacra Pagina)” as Want to Read:
The Acts of the Apostles (Sacra Pagina)

The Acts of the Apostles

(Sacra Pagina #5)

The Acts of the Apostles is the second volume in the two-part writing scholars call Luke-Acts. It continues the story begun in the Gospel of Luke, showing how the Good News offered by Jesus was eventually extended "to the end of the earth," so that Gentiles as well as Jews came to share in the blessings of God.

This commentary treats Luke-Acts as an apologetic history. It

Published December 1st 1992 by Liturgical Press

To ask other readers questions about The Acts of the Apostles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Acts of the Apostles

Nick Mason
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Many, many helpful insights. Johnson, though, seems intent on insisting that most situations found in Acts are either somewhat, or completely Luke’s imaginative telling of a story- not real history. It would not surprise me if many came away questioning the historicity and authority of Scripture (which is not bad, this needs to be wrestled with, but other sources definitely need to be brought in for balance).
Rick Folker
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
erudite
Paul
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb book. This is a literary commentary on the purposes of Luke in writing Acts (and the Gospel, Luke).

I always knew that Paul was resolutely Jewish but the commentary points out how Acts bears that out. Paul always wanted to remain for himself and for other Jews within the ethos of Judaism. The Council of Jerusalem related to Gentiles.

And Paul argued not just the resurrection of the body to his fellow Pharisees who held that doctrine but the resurrection of this Jesus. And that is
Morgan
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It follows The Apostles and other people that lived their lives for Jesus. The Acts of the Apostles was written by Luke. In this book it talks about after Jesus died and has some of the stories in that time that were about the Twelve Apostles and other important people that followed God. One of the stories in the book is... The conversion of Saul (Paul), a Miracle preformed by Peter and John, and Peters Miraculous escape from Prison. There are many more stories but these are j ...more
Qwo-Li
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, before you think I've gone back to Jesus, let me explain.

When I was in eighth grade--at which time I was in Catholic school--we had to read the Acts as literature. And, because this is the kind of school we went to, we didn't really discuss it as literature, we discussed it as church history and doctrine.

I was way into Jesus then. Like, big time. And I was also deeply terrified by the idea of Satan, who I was sure was the reason I kept thinking about penis. Reading Acts, then, made me feel
Frans
Lyle
Jun 03, 2012
Virginia M. Krekling
Nov 15, 2014
Luke Timothy Johnson is an American New Testament scholar and historian of early Christianity. He is the Robert W. Woodruff Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins at Candler School of Theology and a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University.

Johnson's research interests encompass the Jewish and Greco-Roman contexts of early Christianity (particularl

Sacra Pagina (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sacra Pagina: The Gospel of Matthew