Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:
Misery

Misery

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  402,477 Ratings  ·  8,136 Reviews
Dopo un grave incidente d'auto il romanziere Paul Sheldon (alter ego dello stesso King), rinviene in una casa isolata sulle montagne del Colorado. Il dolore per le ferite e le fratture riportate è terribile, ma quel che è peggio è che la salvatrice, Annie Wilkes, non ha nessuna intenzione di portarlo in ospedale. Annie è infatti la sua "più fervente ammiratrice" e vuole ch ...more
Published January 2008 by Sperling & Kupfler (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Misery, please sign up.
Dennis Kenton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mahnoor K I feel like this book is not the right step. The vocabulary is often complex, making the story harder to follow. Even English-speakers have issues…moreI feel like this book is not the right step. The vocabulary is often complex, making the story harder to follow. Even English-speakers have issues reading this book because of Paul's state of overdose, and Annie's twisted mindset.(less)

Kate
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how d
Kemper
Honestly, who among us hasn’t gotten frustrated with their favorite writer and felt like holding them prisoner while forcing them to write the exact book that we want?

Well, don’t do that because it would be wrong! What kind of twisted freaks are you people?!?

Paul Sheldon is a best selling author who just ended his popular series of romance/adventure novels by killing off the lead character, Misery Chastain. After finishing a new novel at a Colorado resort Paul has a car accident and awakes to fi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Damn, I can never get over that one scene!!! She's bat sh•t crazy!

Happy Reading! 🎃👻

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Dan Schwent
To celebrate completing a novel, writer Paul Sheldon goes on a champagne-fueled drive in the Rocky mountains. He winds up in a near fatal car crash, but never fear. He's rescued by Annie Wilkes, his #1 fan...

I watched the film version of Misery in those antediluvian days before Goodreads, hell, before the Internet, and decided to finally read the novel when it showed up on my BookGorilla email one day. It was $2.99 very well spent.

Misery is a tale of obsession, addiction, and obsession. I wrote
Nayra.Hassan
و لماذا لم نخطف د.تامر ابراهيم ليكمل لنا ثلاثية "الذي لم يمت"؟ فالاعوام تمر و تمر
و لماذا لم نخطف د.احمد خالد توفيق لنعيد رفعت اسماعيل للحياة؟.. .فقد كان يؤنسنا حقا
و لماذا لم يخطفوا ارثر كونان دويل ليعيد شرلوك هولمز للحياة؟ فهو من قتله لمزاجه الخاص😈لاننا عاقلين طبعا

منذ ان افاق بول شيلدون على انفاس تقتحم جهازه التنفسي قسرا برائحة الفانيليا و الشيكولاته ..أدرك ان احلى ايامه قد مضت إلى غير رجعة ..فهل من الممكن ان تعيش بسلام بعد ان قابلت" انى ويلكوكس "؟
فلتتامل جيدا تلك الممرضة الممتلئة البشوشة و
Stepheny

My whole life people have had a hard time handling my obsessive passionate personality. I don’t ever just like things- I’m either completely enamored with it or not all that interested. It’s just how I was made. My obsession with Harry Potter is seen as “excessive” and I’m constantly made fun of for my fondness of it. I get asked “aren’t you a little old for that” almost regularly and I have given up trying to respond because I really don’t feel it necessary to explain myself to anyone.

I am als
Julie
Two Sundays ago our family experienced a rather harrowing emergency situation. I'm thrilled to report that tragedy was averted; I'm less excited to share that my arm was broken in the process.

A broken arm is a perfectly acceptable price to pay for a whole family, but it is also a painful pain in the ass. And, because I'm a classic overachiever, I broke my arm in the “most painful way possible,” and I have been relegated to bone broth, limited mobility (to prevent the need for surgery) and left h
Johann (jobis89)
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am in trouble here. This woman is not right."

Paul Sheldon, the best-selling writer of the Misery novels, finds himself rescued from a car accident by his number one fan, Annie Wilkes. As the former nurse takes care of him in her home, she finds out he killed off Misery in his latest novel and decides to keep Paul as her prisoner as he writes Misery back to life.

I read a number of Stephen King books pre-bookstagram and pre-goodreads, therefore I have never written a proper review for these boo
Anne
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
It took me longer than usual to get into this King book, which was largely down to the writing style. I felt it was different than his usual style (which is the one I adore so much). I had the same problem when reading The Shining. It was just lacking this "special something", and thus, I felt disconnected from the characters until about a halfway through.

However, all the stuff that was happening up until this point still had an effect on me and absolutely terrified me. And then came the big sh
AMEERA
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i can tell this my favourite book of Stephen king so far
Will M.
*I just watched the movie and I can safely say that the book was 100x more enjoyable for me. I didn't like the changes that they did, but the cast was spot on. Couldn't ask for a better Paul and Annie.

-------------

After the two month hiatus from Stephen King, I promised myself that I'm not going to let the fact that he's my favorite author, affect my rating of whatever book of his I'm reading next. I think I've proven myself before by giving Wizard and Glass a 2-star rating, even if it was damn
Natalie Monroe
Misery was my first ever Stephen King novel.

There I was, an impressionable 14-year-old girl drunk on romances with none-fade-into-black sex scenes. Then my favorite English teacher recommended I read Misery. "Your life will never be the same," he said.

He was right.

Misery is about the kind of fan that loves their chosen celebrity a little too much. Like the man who shot John Lennon. Or stalkers that drive to Miley Cyrus's house with a bouquet of roses and a foam finger. The odd buttons that spoil
Flor
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Horrorosamente GENIAL.!! 😱😱😱
Directo a la lista de mis libros favoritos .!!
Me ha encantado y a la vez me ha hecho sufrir de miedo, angustia y tensión desde el primer capítulo hasta el último.
Tuve pesadillas dos noches seguidas...
Estoy convencida de que los libros que generan tantos sentimientos en el lector merecen muchas estrellas.!!
Me gustó mucho el guiño que hace el autor a “El resplandor”.
Stephen describe tan bien a los dos personajes de esta novela, que por momentos me olvidaba que estaba
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #13: A Book that is Also a Stage Play or a Musical

This was super great! It was suspenseful, and the characters were very vivid. The whole thing was bogged down a tiny bit by the book-within-a-book bits (I'm not as big of a fan of Paul's writing as Annie is lol) and it was less gory than I was expecting, but other than that it was fantastic! Definitely one of my favorite Stephen King books that I've read so far (It is still my favorite at the moment.)

Trudi

(2018 re-read)

(2012 review)
I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less
Vitor Martins
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Devo começar dizendo que esse foi o primeiro livro da minha vida que me fez sentir MEDO REAL OFICIAL™

Esse, sem dúvidas, é um livro intenso. Logo nas primeiras páginas eu já me senti completamente preso e desesperado para saber como a história iria se desenrolar. Quanto mais eu lia, mais eu me envolvia com os personagens e, mesmo quando eu fechava o livro, não conseguia parar de pensar na Annie. Por vários dias encarei o livro no meu criado mudo antes de dormir e simplesmente não tinha CORAGEM de
Mario
The reason authors almost always put a dedication on a book, Annie, is because their selfishness even horrifies themselves in the end.

Goodbye sleep and hello Annie!

I'm certain that my favorite book by King will always be Pet Sematary, but this book came pretty close to changing my mind. And just like I'm sure that Pet Sematary will always be my favorite, I'm also sure that Misery one will always remain my second favorite.

I honestly don't know how King does it. This is, without a doubt, the most
Leo .
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update 1/8/17:

There’s crazy, and then there’s the Mommy, I’m scared crazy. Annie is that second one. She’s the one you don’t want to cross - in any way. Ticking time bombs are called ticking for a reason. At some point, they’re going to go off. But Annie’s like a wasp compared to the honeybee because she’s the bomb that can explode, and explode, and explode. Poor Paul Sheldon. He didn’t even get the chance to avoid the crazy that is Annie. ”I’m your number one fan!” My ass.

Movie confession. Yes,
emma
a list of things this book was:
- disgusting
- disturbing
- a quick read, surprisingly
- really fond of using sexual assault as a metaphor (cool cool cool)
- harmfully stereotypical in terms of race (the Africa references/setting)
- harmfully stereotypical in terms of gender (so much man-goes-to-work woman-stays-home)
- honestly just pretty hateful toward women??
- all for using the n word without blinking, apparently

a list of things this book was not:
- scary
- all that great of a read for me

bottom line:
Carol
A super intense thriller where I could just envision Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes inflicting her horrors on Paul Sheldon; but as scary as the movie was, the book is much more terrifying! Poor Paul endures more than one (view spoiler) that completely surprised me. One of the scariest and best Stephen King novels I've read thus far!
Repellent Boy
Llevo años sabiendo de sobra que esto iba a pasar. Sabía que cuando leyera Misery iba a gustarme tanto que iba a empatar con It en el primero puesto de libros favoritos de Stephen King. Y es que es BRUTAL.

La novela nos narrá la historia de Paul Sheldon. Un famoso escritor conocido por la exitosa saga de Misery. Este buen hombre se encuentra retirado acabando la que será su nueva obra, y de regreso a casa en coche tendrá un terrible accidente. Despertará en casa de Annie Wilkes, una mujer que lo
Vanessa J.
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, horror, stephen-king

You know those times in which you love a book, love it so so much you also start loving the author, and then you promise yourself you’re going to read more of his/her works until you finally declare yourself to be one of their fans? I do, and I bet Annie Wilkes did too.

There’s a series of books I love with all my heart and soul – you already know which it is. Well, the thing is, not long ago I reread it, and I went… a little crazy over the head. I got damn obsessed about it (I still am) and I c
Dannii Elle
This is King at his best. He takes a totally innocuous subject - an ardent fan, a typewriter, a bedroom door, anything at all - and infuses it with horrifying elements ordinarily reserved for more supernatural spectres. The reader is then thrust down a rabbit hole full of ill-ease, second-guessing, and the knowledge they will never be able to trust anything again when they return to the real-world, at the novel's close, breathless and with an entirely new outlook on life.
Paul
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Crazy good. Thriller with psychotic sprinkles.
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of all shapes and sizes.
Misery was the second Stephen King book I ever read. This was very shortly after Dolores Claiborne. I came across Misery much the same way I did Dolores Claiborne - through my mother's subscription to the Stephen King Book Club. The big difference here was, my mother knew about me reading Misery. She had already read the novel (her buddy Andrita had loaned her the book when it first came out in 1987), and figured I was of an age (fourteen) where I wouldn't be too terribly scarred by the events o ...more
Diane
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Stephen King classic!

A friend had warned me that the book Misery was more graphic than the movie version, and he was right. Usually I try to avoid violent books, but I'm glad I read this one because I appreciated the character of Paul Sheldon, a writer who gets held hostage by his Number One Fan, Annie Wilkes. I liked Paul's comments about the publishing business and the craft of being a writer — some of it felt like an early version of King' excellent memoir On Writing.

I've only read a
Becky
This book was selected for my bookclub's January group read... Well, we were originally talking about reading Dolores Claiborne, but I suggested something with a more wintry theme, since it is winter and all. (I love reading according to the weather. It's more immersive to me to read books that take place in winter, when it IS winter, and I like that.)

Anyway, so Misery. Man, it's been years since I read this book, and I forgot how much there was to it that was NOT the hobbling bit. The movie has
Srividya
I am always on the lookout for books from different genres, written by different authors and usually manage to find some good ones from everyone’s shelf. With King, I simply loved the first two books, namely, The Shining and The Green Mile. However, this one was a drastically different experience. To say that I didn’t like it would be obvious but what’s more important is that I was alternately irritated and bored while reading the book. It had everything in terms of the premise to make it a wond ...more
Rola
و سوف أفرد تفصيليا أسباب تقييمى هذا إن شاء الله

-----------------

تحديث

أما عن ستيفن كينج فحدث و لا حرج
روائى بارع هو و استطاع ان يحبس أنفاسي حقا ... بل و يشعرنى بجميع آلام بول النفسية و الجسدية فى كل مرحلة عاشها خلال الرواية
الرواية ممتعة إلى أقصى حد
و كما قلت فى أثناء تقييمى خلال القراءة
أنا أعشق الفيلم حقا و كاثى بيتس فى دور آنى كانت أكثر من رائعة
مخيفة إلى أبعد حد و صادقة
و ما توقع
Natasha, Misery, Term 1 1 7 Sep 14, 2018 05:24AM
Stephen King Fans: Misery 172 791 Apr 09, 2018 06:35PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Misery By Stephen King - Restarting April 17th 2018 12 105 Apr 01, 2018 01:10PM
  • Thinner
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Creepshow
  • Boom!
  • Fludd
  • The Association
  • Darkness
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Among the Missing
  • Strange Highways
58 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Writers remember everything...especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he'll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.”
257 likes