Start by marking “The Human Mind” as Want to Read:
The Human Mind

The Human Mind

It is the most complex and mysterious object in the universe. Covered by a dull grey membrane, it resembles a gigantic, convoluted fungus. Its inscrutability has captivated scientists, philosophers and artists for centuries. It is, of course, the human brain.

With the help of science we can now begin to understand the extraordinary complexity of the brain's circuits: we
Published October 1st 2004 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Mind

Start your review of The Human Mind
Thomas Edmund
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're not familiar with the topics of psychology and/or neurology, than read this book. Winston's summary and discussion of the field is funny, easy(ish) to read and relevant.

If you're like me and read (perhaps too) many books on the topic, how does Winston's piece stack up to other brain heavyweights?

Well he has some strengths: Winston lacks the cold depth many neuro/psychology writers develop. He adds a human touch when discussing ofttimes disturbing psychological findings, without taking
Belinda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As someone who is interested in psychology, I found this book very enjoyable. Having watched his tv series, I find Robert Winston fascinating and I respect him as a scientist. Great book - highly recommended for people wanting to learn all about how their mind works. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
yenni m
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
very neuro/able-bodied/hetero/cis normative, understandably. more interested in reading about neurology and psychology of minority groups.

oh but it was my first sciencey book and i read it all with ease and i skipped the rubbish. moremoremore!
Wilmington
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This is the clearest, most interesting and most complete popular science book I have read about the way the human brain works. I had already seen Robert Winston's BBC documentaries, but the book goes much further. Highly recommended.
Liam Keogh
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible, fascinating and an absolute joy to read. Second time I've read it, it was every bit as good as I remember. Great to refresh my memory with so many insightful gems
Si
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really good read, and worth a look if you're at all interested in how you work.
How the brain works, as far as we know, showing its anatomy, understanding concepts such as love and creativity.
He looks at the power of belief with some amazing results.
He shows different measures of intelligence: e.g. fluid intelligence versus crystallised intelligence, the first being our ability to see, interpret and manipulate relations between things, the second being the knowledge we acquire through
Ellie
I was expecting a little more from this book to be honest. Despite being a scientific person who has a reasonable knowledge of different parts of the brain and their function, I found this book extremely tedious at times and struggled to believe that it would be that accessible to anyone without previous knowledge human biology. There were parts of the book I enjoyed but overall I feel it didn't reach my expectations.
Beth (bibliobeth)
I really enjoyed Robert Winston's BBC TV series, and was lucky enough to see him lecture in Southampton. This book is fascinating, and I felt I learned so much from it. I don't think we will ever know everything there is to know about our amazing brains.
Ameya Sunil
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is an excellent introduction to neuroscience. Reading the book got me thinking a lot about the role of various enzymes, organs and genes that have shaped human nature. For anyone looking at a window into the world of the brain, this book is definitely a great place to begin.
Bionic Jean
Readable but technically detailed book on the brain by non-specialist Robert Winston. Also ventures into theories of the mind/brain by neuroscientists. Excellent overview, only deficient in the lack of an index at the back, which is a serious omission in a book of this type.
Lauren
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my first and favourite professor Robert Winston book. Could not recommend it more if you are interested in how the mind works and in psychology. A fascinating and insightful read.
Sebastian Culaja
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
full of short but useful info
Teamhair
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating exploration of the human mind. Winston, as, always makes science so accessible and easy to understand.
Mim English morgan
Great read; informative and interesting whilst being easy to digest. Particularly of interest to those with a link to psychology - particularly neuropsychology and evolutionary psychology.
Melusine Parry
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, great popular science.
Lynley
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like this guy's TV documentaries too.
Eben Tonder
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
want to know about all the really cool new stuff we know about the human mind - read this!!!!!
Maurice
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great Robert Winston book.
I love how he captured these intersting science items with humor and with ;-)
Catalin Vargatu
V
Jul 02, 2010
Rob Jones
Jun 04, 2016

• The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • How to Be Human: The Ultimate Guide to Your Amazing Existence
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 2
  • Last Chance Saloon
  • Slaughter in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #6)
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • How To Create The Mindset Of A Network Marketing Champion
  • You Can Heal Your Life
  • Train Your Brain: How to Build a Million Dollar Business in Record Time
  • The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith
  • You Are the Universe: Discovering Your Cosmic Self and Why It Matters
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
  • The Green Roasting Tin: Vegan and Vegetarian One Dish Dinners
  • Network Marketing For Facebook: Proven Social Media Techniques For Direct Sales And MLM Success
  • May Cause Miracles: A 40-Day Guidebook of Subtle Shifts for Radical Change and Unlimited Happiness
  • Everything in its Place