Start by marking “Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind” as Want to Read:
Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind

Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Most people think they listen well, but they rarely do - not at this level. Listening this way is a radical act.

Over the past 15 years, Nancy Kline has identified 10 behaviours that form a system called a Thinking Environment, a model of human interaction that dramatically improves the way people think, and thus the way they work and live. Listening - the quality of people
Published 2008 by Cassell (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Think

Karen
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was originally sent to me by friends in England. It's the BEST book on listening on the market (and I've read a bunch of these!). I've used it in coaching, given numerous presentations on its principles, and recommend it highly to anyone who wants to transformation their ability to listen well to others.
Frederik Lierde
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book everyone should read not like me at 41 but at 25
For business minded people: You could become CEO much faster
For non-business minded people: Your life becomes more positive and bright just by using those simple techniques.
Sally
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy is right. We need to STFU.
Sunil Raheja
Mar 20, 2010 is currently reading it
Nancy's mum day before she died
The quality of a person's attention determines the quality of other peoples' thinking.
Blocks to listening were almost always assumptions being made by the thinker unawares, assumptions that seemed like truth.

Create a particular environment and people will think for themselves.

A thinking environemnt = a set of conditions under which people can think for themselves and think well together.

10 components:
1. Attention= listening with respect, interest and fascination.
On
Petra Slade
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book.
It tell you the importance of listening. To listen means to respect. To listen means to understand.
When you listen to someone you give them time and space to think and they will love you for that. They produce better ideas, they feel valued, they feel appreciated.
This book is for companies as well as individuals. It is a must read.
Shaun Marais
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Nancy Kline's Time to Think by a friend who had received training from Kline directly.

At the same time as reading Time to Think I started applying some of the techniques in meeting rooms and in all my interactions and immediately started seeing results. I believe there is such a great benefit to applying a useful strategy to our daily interactions.

From a psychological point of view I think that Nancy's work makes use of a Rogerian person centred approach and the positive effe
Anna Jones
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy's proposal around a Thinking Environment is deceptively simple but yet extremely powerful. I really enjoyed reading this book, it is engaging, instructive and with the right number of anecdotes to make it fun but not overly schmaltzy. I am definitely going to try out the formats she suggested in my coaching sessions but also with friends when I am trying to solve a thorny issue. I came away energised and excited about the whole idea.

I would have liked a summary of the key frameworks at the
Christopher Bond
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Top 5 books that changed my life. Possibly one of the best practical books on cognitive and behavioral thinking and listening techniques. I have even been trained on the principles/procedures in the boom and it works.
Bizzy Day
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A practical and inspiring guide that introduces you to a system and a way of living that will help remove limiting beliefs. I personally found it revolutionary and through implementing and practicing it at work and with people around me am building a stronger, more collaborative environment both for my organisation and in my home.
Don
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Do one thing Nancy Kline recommends, and you will find your life changing. Follow up on several of her suggestions, and you will live a life transformed. Give yourself, and those closest to you, time to think
Matt Mccarty
Very practical

I like that this book gives you very concrete steps for participating in a thinking environment. Well worth the read. Now to practice my listening skills!
Amber Dickinson
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A really practical and useful book! Applicable to both work and personal life.
Madalena Elshoff
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
As I read this book, I kept thinking about how much this Thinking Environment ideology is like the protocols of Critical Friends Group developed by the National School Reform Faculty, but not as formulaic or developed. And while I agree with a lot of what Kline proposes in order to support individual's abilities to think through problems, it also seems very difficult to do in reality, especially in non-Western cultures. Still, I took away a lot from this book, and will put into practice incisive ...more
Jolyon Tuck
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm still not sure what I make of this. I picked up "Time To Think" believing it would give me suggestions on ways to improve my own thinking. I suppose, in a sense, it does. But really, it has given some very useful guidance on listening, communication with others, and how to get other people to think for themselves properly, and how to give others time to think. If I want time to think myself, I really need to find someone else who has read the book to sit and, very patiently, do the exercises ...more
Maurya
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on Thinking... how you think, how you can be independent in your thinking and how you can bring out the best in others.

I was / am familiar with some of the concepts in this book, but there were some great ideas and different ways to think about how best to elicit great thinking. One that stands out is how to deal with crying esp in the workplace.

Good book, highly recommend.
Sika Sedzro
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I tried implementing the methodology outlined in this book and boy was it a challenge! I really didn't like the use of narrative in this text. Also, it's very hard to stick to the protocol being proposed because it goes against how most people are socialized to interact with one other within the professional context. With that said, it is definitely worth a try if you are open to something new.
Marg
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
While we are all encouraged to listen better, it is often more exhortation than helpful. Time to Think offers a gentle, systematic way for us to set the stage for good listening. She offers a reminder that we all have the capacity to solve our own problems if we have a good listening partner, something she encourages.
Adrian Luben
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will open new perspective to your mind. At the beginning you feel it like a regular book, but after you dig deeper, you find out an amazing pattern, which you can use with everyone. It enhances your abilities to easily get people to think smarter and even for yourself and loved ones.

Fully recommended!
Sheridan
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended reading on my coaching course. There weren't any clangers in here. Maybe I'd already covered most of it on my course and it WOULD be revolutionary to someone who didn't have prior knowledge of listening and thinking space.
Justus
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
I'm not sure if its a workable system, certainly hard to initiate unless there is buy-in from all sides, but its main points of no interruptions, stop showing off in conversation, and asking questions that free up the other person from their limiting assumptions about life are all good points.
Sam Shingleton
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: coaching
Though the book full of insights, it begins to lag as one progresses. Additionally, the very short chapter seemed difficult to negotiate. Though I learned a good deal from the book and will read More Time to Think, I wish the style was a bit more approachable to me.
Gina Lynette
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of really useful information in this book--plenty that you can implement in your organization to see immediate improvement in culture. However, I was slightly uncomfortable at how prescriptive the author is. There are times that other methods of interaction might be appropriate...
Clare
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coaching
Beautifully written book about how to improve the quality of thinking for yourself and those around you. Particularly relevant for innovation, creativity and problem solving as well as personal development.
Sean
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking books I have read in a long while. Well worth reading.
Alan Fricker
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Not what I expected.
Martin Botha
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Like it, but becomes boring once you get it. Could give a practical 20 page guide that summarises the technique, that would be more useful.
Joe España
Dec 14, 2015
W O'Dwyer
Sep 27, 2016
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation
  • The Retrospective Handbook: A guide for agile teams
  • Prague
  • How to Have Creative Ideas: 62 Games to Develop the Mind
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Primary Greatness: The 12 Levers of Success
  • Listening: The Forgotten Skill: A Self-Teaching Guide
  • Mind Maps at Work: How to Be the Best at Your Job and Still Have Time to Play
  • Improving Your Storytelling: Beyond the Basics for All Who Tell Stories in Work or Play
  • Authenticity: What Consumers Really Want
  • The Real Meal Revolution
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • The Enterprise and Scrum (Developer Best Practices)
  • The Lost Art of Listening: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships