Start by marking “Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind” as Want to Read:
Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind

Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind

Most people think they listen well, but they rarely do - not at this level. Listening this way is a radical act.

Over the past 15 years, Nancy Kline has identified 10 behaviours that form a system called a Thinking Environment, a model of human interaction that dramatically improves the way people think, and thus the way they work and live. Listening - the quality of people
Published 2008 by Cassell (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Think

Start your review of Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
Richard Newton
There is a lot of practical wisdom in this book which describes how we can help each other to think better. It describes a technique which might nowadays be called a form of coaching. It focuses very much on listening - and what I liked was that we talk a lot about the importance of listening, this book really describes how to do it, and how by doing this we can help each other to identify our limiting assumptions and do release our inhibited thinking.

A few niggles: the author occasionally confl
Karen
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was originally sent to me by friends in England. It's the BEST book on listening on the market (and I've read a bunch of these!). I've used it in coaching, given numerous presentations on its principles, and recommend it highly to anyone who wants to transformation their ability to listen well to others.
Frederik Lierde
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book everyone should read not like me at 41 but at 25
For business minded people: You could become CEO much faster
For non-business minded people: Your life becomes more positive and bright just by using those simple techniques.
Sunil Raheja
Mar 20, 2010 is currently reading it
Nancy's mum day before she died
The quality of a person's attention determines the quality of other peoples' thinking.
Blocks to listening were almost always assumptions being made by the thinker unawares, assumptions that seemed like truth.

Create a particular environment and people will think for themselves.

A thinking environemnt = a set of conditions under which people can think for themselves and think well together.

10 components:
1. Attention= listening with respect, interest and fascination.
On
Vera
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The concept is very clear, very easy to follow and the latter part of this book includes very useful examples of how to create listening environment, something I found super helpful in my own coaching practice as well as when listening to others.
Anna Jones
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy's proposal around a Thinking Environment is deceptively simple but yet extremely powerful. I really enjoyed reading this book, it is engaging, instructive and with the right number of anecdotes to make it fun but not overly schmaltzy. I am definitely going to try out the formats she suggested in my coaching sessions but also with friends when I am trying to solve a thorny issue. I came away energised and excited about the whole idea.

I would have liked a summary of the key frameworks at the
Petra Slade
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book.
It tell you the importance of listening. To listen means to respect. To listen means to understand.
When you listen to someone you give them time and space to think and they will love you for that. They produce better ideas, they feel valued, they feel appreciated.
This book is for companies as well as individuals. It is a must read.
Sally
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy is right. We need to STFU.
Shaun Marais
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Nancy Kline's Time to Think by a friend who had received training from Kline directly.

At the same time as reading Time to Think I started applying some of the techniques in meeting rooms and in all my interactions and immediately started seeing results. I believe there is such a great benefit to applying a useful strategy to our daily interactions.

From a psychological point of view I think that Nancy's work makes use of a Rogerian person centred approach and the positive effe
Bizzy Day
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A practical and inspiring guide that introduces you to a system and a way of living that will help remove limiting beliefs. I personally found it revolutionary and through implementing and practicing it at work and with people around me am building a stronger, more collaborative environment both for my organisation and in my home.
Chris Downey
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. I’ve only tried some of it, but have seen good results from it. The only part I wasn’t keen on was the start that felt like a kind of infomercial for the technique. However, that only lasts for a little bit and the rest is really thought provoking and full of examples to bring it to life.
Christopher Bond
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Top 5 books that changed my life. Possibly one of the best practical books on cognitive and behavioral thinking and listening techniques. I have even been trained on the principles/procedures in the boom and it works.
marie
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kind of work related, but an easy read with really good, practical coaching advice. Normally with this type of book, I read half of it and feel like i've got the gist, but it was so useful I ended up sticking with it to the end (even the Princess Diana bit..)
Don
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Do one thing Nancy Kline recommends, and you will find your life changing. Follow up on several of her suggestions, and you will live a life transformed. Give yourself, and those closest to you, time to think
Martin Botha
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Like it, but becomes boring once you get it. Could give a practical 20 page guide that summarises the technique, that would be more useful.
Brett
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Time to Think by Nancy Kline has one simple thesis: that the quality of our attention determines how well someone else thinks, and that only by engaging our staff/friends/significant others with our undivided attention and care will we bring out the fullest relationships and get the most from that person. The book breaks this approach down in a very structured way, giving you a six-step framework for creating a “Thinking Environment” and then showing you how this approach can benefit meetings at ...more
Garry Turner
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have had this book on my shelf for 3 years and now was the right time to read it.

The simplicity and human-centered 'ness of Nancy's work is beautiful. Focusing on giving attention, putting people at ease & designing incisive questions are just 3 of the 10 steps that make up Nancy's thinking environment.

This book is for everyone. Individuals, team leaders, CEOs. There is so much depth, so much humanity, and so much care that has gone into writing this book.

This is way more than a self-help book
Kris Ang
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone in a leadership role and want to excel, will have to read this book. It's a must read because of the well of wisdom within. Nancy Kline not only made it very easy and comprehensive for us to understand, she also uses examples to reinforce the concepts. I've tabbed so many sections of the book that I can almost make a dummy's guide to this book!
Ben
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Leaders Coaches
Summary: People can find their own solutions to problems if they have a good environment for thinking.

Highlight: When someone has finished talking, prompt them to say more, and they probably will.
Gordon Mckinlay
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
There are some really important principles about listening which we all need to remind ourselves of. Whether the actual steps described are particularly revolutionary may be a moot point, there is plenty to think about for any leader
Joanna Keith
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Well-thought, inspiring and full of good examples on how to create a thinking environment. Highly recommended if you want to learn how to really listen and pay attention to those around you.
Fraser
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not so much about thinking per se, more for me around communication strategies. Starts reasonably well but lost my interest totally by the end. I have the follow up to read but now not so sure of my enthusiasm for it.
Marcian Enache-Poti
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there is one thing we need to (re)learn, that is listening. Real listening. Good quality thinking comes after. And that's what this book speaks about. And it is a good place to start, considering the frame it lays out.
Matt Mccarty
Very practical

I like that this book gives you very concrete steps for participating in a thinking environment. Well worth the read. Now to practice my listening skills!
Amber Dickinson
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A really practical and useful book! Applicable to both work and personal life.
Al
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Better than thought it was going to be. It could be half the length without sacrificing anything as a lot of it is repetitive. But the question formats are genuinely good.
David Fitzgibbon
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is dense, and can feel repetitive, but is full of gold. Take your time and really think about what you're reading. See how a chapter applies for a day before trying the next one.
Özden Yiğit
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Everything we do depends for its quality on the thinking we do first.”
Manish
Worth a look for one coaching model centered around a 'Thinking' environment which she explores quite well.
Madalena Elshoff
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
As I read this book, I kept thinking about how much this Thinking Environment ideology is like the protocols of Critical Friends Group developed by the National School Reform Faculty, but not as formulaic or developed. And while I agree with a lot of what Kline proposes in order to support individual's abilities to think through problems, it also seems very difficult to do in reality, especially in non-Western cultures. Still, I took away a lot from this book, and will put into practice incisive ...more

• The Formula: The Universal Laws of Success
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • Adam the Gardener
  • Superior: The Return of Race Science
  • Rethinking Agile: Why Agile Teams Have Nothing To Do With Business Agility
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • God Is My CEO: Following God's Principles in a Bottom-Line World
  • More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory
  • The Green Book
  • 29 Leadership Secrets from Jack Welch
  • The Invisible Hand of the Market: The Theory of Moral Sentiments/The Wealth of Nations (2 Pioneering Studies of Capitalism)
  • On Eating Meat
  • The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible
  • Undefended Love
  • Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life
  • Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage

News & Interviews

“Real help is different. Real help, professionally or personally, consists of listening to people, of paying respectful attention to people so that they can access their own ideas first.” 0 likes
“We may have learned to revere thinkers like Socrates, but we also learned that the state poisoned him for thinking for himself: not unmitigated encouragement” 0 likes