Start by marking “La notte che bruciammo Chrome” as Want to Read:
La notte che bruciammo Chrome

La notte che bruciammo Chrome (Sprawl 0)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  29,586 Ratings  ·  601 Reviews
Nel mondo dove domina la cultura delle realtà virtuali non c'è più spazio per concetti come lealtà, benessere, amicizia o amore. I nuovi allucinanti scenari della fantascienza contemporanea in una famosa raccolta di racconti di William Gibson, capofila del movimento cyberpunk.
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Oscar, 252 pages
Published October 5th 1999 by Mondadori (first published April 1986)

To ask other readers questions about La notte che bruciammo Chrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La notte che bruciammo Chrome

Darwin8u
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
“if poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world, science-fiction writers are its court jesters.”
― Bruce Sterling introducing William Gibson's, Burning Chrome

russian matrix

A set of 10 short stories: early Gibson cyberpunk and sic-fi that anticipate both his SPRAWL and BLUE ANT series. All the Gibson tropes are there just waiting to bud and bloom. Gibson's cyberpunk, dark and messy near-future; his obsession with technology, music, clothing; his uncanny ability to describe and name the bleeding edge
Brad
Is it okay, do you think, to say I find William Gibson's cycle of short stories, Burning Chrome, to be a work of profound beauty? Probably not, but I'm going to say it anyway: Burning Chrome is beautiful.

But how can it be? How can something like the Sprawl, Gibson's pollution choked mega-city, and our shared technological-future-nightmare be beautiful? My description suggests it can't, yet I find much beauty in Gibson's future.

There's something magnificent about monomolecular wires and Razorgir
Ben Babcock
We are very spoiled, and very privileged, to live now in the twenty-first century. We look back on works of science fiction from the 1950s, 1960s, and onward that reference the 1990s or 2000s as "the future" and make grandiose predictions: we'll have flying cars! a eugenics war! robot apocalypse! It's interesting to note that such extrapolation, while often falling very short of the mark, tends to be conservative when it describes the technological platforms through which we acquire these flying ...more
Tfitoby
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
I think this is the collection where I finally understood the cyberpunk of William Gibson despite having read four of his novels.

For me he is all about the mileau, the crafting of the dystopian world that his stories exist in and his characters evolve from is his primary skill, everything that comes evolves from there. Not to doubt his acknowedged talent as an ideas man.

I was particularly impressed with New Rose Hotel, his style of narration called to mind Chris Markers La Jetee and Wong Kar-Wai
Oscar
’Quemando Cromo’ (Burning Chrome, 1986) contiene los primeros relatos de William Gibson, el aclamado autor de ‘Neuromante’, que dio lugar a todo un subgénero, el cyberpunk (pequeña definición de cyberpunk: normalmente transcurre en un futuro cercano, distópico, dominado por megacorporaciones, donde se aúnan personajes marginales con alta tecnología, en un ambiente cercano al género negro, todo ello bajo una estética que recuerda a ‘Blade Runner’).

Hacía tiempo que no leía a Gibson, y ha sido todo
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Wired West

"Burning Chrome" is a fascinating collection of stories that chart the origin of the Sprawl Trilogy. You can watch William Gibson building the world of the Sprawl ("of cities and smoke"), cyberspace and the characters who would later be explored in the three novels.

Equally importantly, you can observe him developing a unique style of writing suited to this world.

It's data- and sensory-rich, almost exhausting in its detail, which is revealed without information dumps or definitions. It
Jenny (Reading Envy)
The stories in this volume pre-date Neuromancer by date of composition, but were published slightly after as a set. I had no idea that Molly in Neuromancer was also Molly Millions in Johnny Mnemonic (I also didn't know William Gibson wrote that story! Time to watch the movie....)

Burning Chrome is the most significant story in this volume, because it contains most of the ideas and atmosphere that would later become Neuromancer - the cybercowboy, ICE, and the idea of viruses.

The other stories con
Rob
Executive Summary: An anthology of 10 short stories mostly related to or set in Mr. Gibson's Sprawl world. I enjoyed some, but not all of the stories. Only worth picking up if you really like the Sprawl books in my opinion.

Audio book: 10 stories. 10 different narrators. None of them stand out one way or another. Nobody was excellent and nobody was terrible. A few did occasional voices or accents, but none of them struck as particularly memorable.

Full Review
Neuromancer is one of those books th
Simon
This was... a very different read than I expected, but I liked it. I already knew that Gibson's a writer who really divides readers, and even though I generally prefer the New Wave/cyberpunk school of science-fiction over the genre's "golden age" (for reasons related to writing style rather than political ideology might I add) there were still several surprises.

One thing that struck me very much was how unlike the cyberpunk stereotypes the stories found in "Burning Chrome" actually are. Less tha
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann

This is the fist time I have read anything by William Gibson and I have to say since I have already purchased each book in the Sprawl Trilogy I am really excited to read some more by him, especially Neuromancer; being next on the William Gibson list!

"Source Code" *****
"Hinterlands" ****
"Red Star, Winter Orbit," with Bruce Sterling *****
"New Rose Hotel" ****
Deborah Ideiosepius
While always hard to review short stories - some you love, some not so much- this is a pretty solid collection.

I first read them in the early 90's when they were cutting edge sci-fi and the inspiration for all the cyberpunk and (in my honest opinion) so very much of the new waves of science fiction, space opera and dystopia that have resurrected one of my favourite genera from the slightly fusty reputation they were acquiring.

These stories demonstrate the very best of science-fiction, the thing
Sarah Sammis
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
In 2005 my husband and I rented Johnny Mnemonic; it was one of the stupidest films we had ever seen. Curious to see if it was a problem with the translation to film or the source material, I decided to get a copy of the book: Burning Chrome, the first story being "Johnny Mnemonic." Having now suffered through the entire collection of stories, I can say that both the filmmakers and the author can share the blame equally.

I know that there are many fans of William Gibson's books but he doesn't do m
Adam
Is Gibson’s cinematic, dense, noir infused Sci/Fi best in small doses? Since this is his only collection, we have to guess. But if you want a quick welcome to his world, here it is. Vat grown assassins, criminal underground trafficking in information, razor girls, heroin addicted militarized dolphins; and that’s just the first story. There is also hints of a Gibson that could have been, with the perfect Waldrop meets Borges of “The Gernsback Continuum” and “The Belonging Kind” co-written with Jo ...more
Emelie
Did not finish. Giving up due to the book being too confusing. I didn't understand anything; perhaps I've just been too tired when trying to read it, perhaps I just don't get it.
Kevin
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _library, read-2015
Reading cyberpunk as a genre these days is a bit like reading space operas from the 1930s; written back before anybody really knew the realities of space travel. Now that the speculated virtual reality interfaces for computers have pretty much been replaced by a tablet with a search bar that’ll tell you anything you want to know, it always feels a little dated.

Romantically, I prefer to think of it as retro-futurism. The noir elements have aged very well, and the technical parts I see as an alte
The introduction at the beginning of this collection of short stories talks about Gibson's desire for stories that are told from the bottom up. Stories which are about people in the streets and alleys of the cities as opposed to being told from the people at the top, speculating on how everyday people are experiencing life. I have t agree with Gibson. These kind of stories make much more interesting reading. I guess that's why he write stories like that too. Many of the shorts in this book are a ...more
Burt
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cyberpunk Enthusiasts, Manga Readers
I remember heading out to get this book after reading Neuromancer, solely on the strength of one story, Johnny Mnemonic (don't waste your time watching the movie - it's awful). While there's a lot of good work in the book, Johnny Mnemonic is really the show stopper, the tale of a 'mnemonic courrier' who can store data in wetware implants in his skull, and never know a scrap about what he's carrying. Whhatever it is he has in his head, the Yakuza wants it bad, and they're willing to send their be ...more
Thom
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
This is the year of rereading William Gibson, though I read Neuromancer at the same time as a friend last year. Burning Chrome is a collection of stories, some loosely connected to Neuromancer (and the Sprawl setting). I quite enjoyed Burning Chrome and Johnny Mnemonic, both in the Sprawl. I didn't like the Gernsback Continuum. As a collection, I found this uneven.

It is perhaps telling that this anthology doesn't make it into the top half of anthologies I have read in the last ten years.
Brooke
A mixed bag, as early-short-story collections often are, and it took me a while to get through the first few - I kept picking up other things to read in the meantime. However, it's worth reading for "Hinterlands" alone, which was totally fascinating and creepy and left me dying to know more. "The Winter Market" was a close second.
Michael Hołda (Holda)
Story about hacking in cyberpunk genre, but it’s long gone idea of Communists in space in future was most amazing plot twist in that book for me. The thing that it’s published in 1982 makes it very interesting indeed. Its fantasy of the real history past wasn’t too bad, as with drags and espionage in background.
Wealhtheow
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
What I really loved was not the cyber-punky coolness, but rather the sensory details. Gibson has an incredibly descriptive style. Many years later, I still remember the story about meeting a girl with an exoskeleton at a party.
Kat  Hooper
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

William Gibson is one of those authors whose style is so distinct that it’s immediately recognizable. Anyone who’s read one of his novels could pick up another and, without looking at the cover, probably identify it as Gibson’s merely by reading the first page. His popularity indicates that legions of readers love his neon-infused plastic sheeting-coated visionary style, but as evidenced by reviews of his novels at Amazon and other places, many readers jus
Loren
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adapted from ISawLightningFall.com

If the novel is a sojourn in a foreign land, short stories are trips to the municipal park. Much of their provinciality is a function of length. Long-form fiction has the space to luxuriate in detail, dwelling on tertiary characters, describing each bit of their surroundings and spawning hydra-headed plots that wriggle every which way. But while the novel remains the champion of the marketplace, it can seem downright clumsy when compared with the elegance of a w
Blaise Pascal
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second story in this collection is "The Gernsback Continuum", in which the narrator is hired to take photographs of the last remaining bits of architecture from the 30's which point to the future imagined by the stories of the day -- rockets, and gleaming steel, and Utopian megalopolises. A future which never was. Hugo Gernsback, for readers not familiar, was a very influential pulp magazine editor of the time, who basically invented science fiction as a genre. He lent his name to the Hugo A ...more
Mike
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best finds ever.

The movie trailer for Johnny Mnemonic was running at the time and I dug the concept. Wired said the movie was based on a short story from Burning Chrome. I remember deciding between the screenplay and the Johnny Mnemonic story combo book or the short story collection. I'm so glad I picked the collection. Johnny Mnemonic is an amazing story and the rest of the collection is strong too.

The 13 pages of Johnny Mnemonic rock my world every time I read it. Gibson creates a w
Mike
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Probably worth a "4.5" just on the originality of a couple of the included stories.

I read this a while back, so details of dates. etc. are less than perfect.
I may have had a difficult moment or two in one or another of Gibson's novels, but by and large he is a spectacular writer, a newer, "New Wave" SF author who has succeeded in extending and redefining the genre.

If you have little taste for novels, this short story collection is excellent and I heartily recommend it. You can read all the spoil
Daniel
I can hardly think of a better introduction to Gibson's world and what he is all about. I really loved most of these bleak, sad stories, specially Hinterlands and Dogfight (the ones I didn't love I still liked). Gibson's future seems almost a reality now and his fiction has aged well enough for one to relate to his stories and to fear his predictions of the future.

I look forward to reading Neuromancer and I'm really glad I took up Burning chrome first.
Natasha Castillo
No conocía el "cyberpunk", me llamo la atención en una feria de libro, buscando algo nuevo, me encontré algo bueno y entretenido, cualquiera se puede llevar una sorpresa de lo ingenioso que pueden ser estos relatos y las curiosas imágenes que se destacan en palabras que parecen descritas de una película de ciencia ficción pura.
Ed [Redacted]
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read. I liked this volume, but not as much as I did many moons ago when I first read it. After the passage of many years, Gibson's stories seemed less revolutionary than they did before. Not because the WERE less revolutionary, but because the world and literature has changed in the intervening time. All-in-all, still a worthy collection of historical cyberpunk stories.
Around the Year i...: Burning Chrome, by William Gibson 4 21 Jan 09, 2016 10:25PM
The Sword and Laser: Burning Chrome in January? 7 240 Nov 06, 2012 08:51AM
Short stories... 3 24 Oct 07, 2012 02:04PM
William Gibson's short fiction-- 3 28 Apr 17, 2012 04:04PM
  • Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology
  • The Exile Kiss
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Hardwired (Hardwired, #1)
  • Software (Ware, #1)
  • Synners
  • Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology
  • The Shockwave Rider
  • Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)

William Ford Gibson is an American-Canadian writer who has been called the father of the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction, having coined the term cyberspace in 1982 and popularized it in his first novel, Neuromancer(1984), which has sold more than 6.5 million copies wor
More about William Gibson...

Sprawl (3 books)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • Count Zero (Sprawl, #2)
  • Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl, #3)
“Hell of a world we live in, huh? (...) But it could be worse, huh?"
"That's right," I said, "or even worse, it could be perfect.”
23 likes
“If poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world, science fiction writers are its court jesters. We are Wise Fools who can leap, caper, utter prophecies, and scratch ourselves in public. We can play with Big Ideas because the garish motley of our pulp origins make us seem harmless.” 14 likes