Start by marking “Tarnished Eye” as Want to Read:
Tarnished Eye

Tarnished Eye

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
From the "New York Times" bestselling author of "Ordinary People" comes a gripping novel of suspense, exploring fragile family dynamics in the aftermath of tragedy... Acclaimed author Judith Guest makes a triumphant return with this poignant and powerful novel that's sure to add luster to her reputation as one of the most thoughtful observers of the human condition.

Taking
Published June 22nd 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarnished Eye

Barbara
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Judith Guest's Ordinary People is familiar to many, both as the book and the award-winning film. She clearly demonstrated sensitivity to family dynamics and to the desires and needs of individual adults and their offspring. This talent was again evinced in this mystery/ suspense novel. It is remarkable because she was able to integrate the story of the horrifying murder of a family of six with their psychosocial components and the process of the police procedural.
The similarity between these tw
Heather
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith Guest is probably best known for her novel Ordinary People, which was turned into an award-winning motion picture. In her book The Tarnished Eye, Guest gives us a completely different kind of story, but with the same intuitiveness about why people do the things they do.

The novel is based on the true story of a murder that happened in Northern Michigan. In the fictionalized version, a family of six, the Norbois family, is brutally murdered while at their vacation home in Blessed, Michigan.
Mark
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A family of six is brutally murdered and the bodies are not discovered for three weeks. The investigation is led by the local small-town Michigan sheriff. He tries to enlist the aid of his friend, a big-city police chief, but the friend is dealing with his own high-profile case, that of a serial killer that is targeting U of M co-eds. Supposedly inspired by a true, unsolved mystery, Ms Guest does a good job of throwing in several red herrings before the final reveal. Lacking, however, was a reas ...more
Melissa Erwin
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Ellen
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beach read. Characters are not well defined. Sappy in places. It is a murder mystery and follows the typical timeline for this type of book (intro detective with some personal flaw/problem/unfortunate life event, horrible crime, attempt to find killer, twists, solve, detective as hero, detective fixes aspect of personal life, the end.) But as this type of book goes, not a bad read.
lynn
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Read this fictional account of a true story: an unsolved murder in a small vacation town in northern Michigan. The authoir stuck to the majority of the evidence while applying her own theory of who may have committed this brutal crime. A typical summer read type of style.
Kristin
Jan 19, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The "true-life crime" that this book is loosely based on is actually the murder of my grandmother's cousin's family. To this day, the murder still remains unsolved.
Jenny Yates
This is a pretty standard police procedural. The writing is clear and sound, but not inspired. You keep reading because you want to find out who did it, and at the end you do.

The murder is a particularly violent one, with a whole family slaughtered at their summer house. The cop at the center of the book is a sensitive guy who’s dealt with some personal loss, and who is trying to keep it together for his family. His anxieties pursue him, but they don’t keep him from being an effective detective
Amber Plant
I listened to this on cd. This was my first book by Judith Guest and it was just ok. I think I would have liked it better in print but can't tell you for sure. The narrator's voice was slightly annoying to me and I couldn't tell his male voices apart so a lot of time I had to guess who was speaking. I also had to guess when the main character was thinking. The chapter where the little girl is speaking has got to be one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard and it was all I could do to not ...more
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the novel about the murders of the Norbois family I had to find out about the real murders that inspired The Tarnished Eye. The fact that the real murders are still listed as unsolved is intriguing. Could the murders have actually happened the way Judith Guest's novel explains it? That's up to each reader to decide. I went to college in Ann Arbor from 1965 - 1969 so the coeds that were murdered were discussed a lot among my friends. I did not know about the murders in Good Hart, Mi ...more
  • Dancehall
  • Evil Twins: Chilling True Stories of Twins, Killing and Insanity
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Charlotte
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • A Little Death
  • The Witches
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Criminals
  • Without a Backward Glance
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • The Red Scream (Molly Cates, #1)
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • One Pair of Feet
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • An Act of Love