Start by marking “Planting the Wild Garden” as Want to Read:
Planting the Wild Garden

Planting the Wild Garden

Eloquent text and stunning illustrations combine to explore the many ways seeds are distributed.
A farmer and her son carefully plant seeds in their garden. In the wild garden, many seeds are planted too, but not by farmers' hands. Different kinds of animals transport seeds, often without knowing it. Sometimes rain washes seeds away to a new location. And sometimes
Published April 1st 2011 by Peachtree Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Planting the Wild Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting the Wild Garden

Start your review of Planting the Wild Garden
Gmr
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: Peachtree Publishers
A simple story at its heart, but filled with the beauty of Nature, this is one book that teaches as well as entertains. What does it teach? Oh where to begin. At face value, the life cycle of a seed is what greets us first. We explore the various means by which a seed can be transported and distributed in order to continue the natural order of things. From a gentle push from the wind to the washing effects of the rain, even the tag-a-long effect created from woodland creatures, all of these ...more
Emma
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Planting the Wild Garden is both beautiful and informative. It tells and shows the story of how seeds are planted by wind, by birds, by water, and more. The illustrations are lovely, while also conveying specific information about how seeds travel and grow. This is also a book that gently shows humans in their place as co-inhabitants, co-nurturers of the Earth. At the end, readers will find a bibliography for further reading!
Dana
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kindergarten and up
Shelves: nf-f
This beautifully illustrated non-fiction book compares seeds that are planted in a garden with those that are spread in the wild by birds, animals and the wind. Artist Wendy Anderson Halperin created her pictures in pencil and watercolor on 100% rag, archival quality watercolor paper. The background color of each page changes and coordinates with the colors in the illustrations. Some pages have borders along one side of the picture showing details of the larger picture. Text is in black and with ...more
wildct2003
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good telling of seed dispersion.
Andrea
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is lovely. The illustrations and layout are perfect, and the text is informative
Lauren Ebbeling
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story about how seeds spread in the wild.
Melanie
A beautifully illustrated story describing how seeds are dispersed.
Sally
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely educational picture book.
Danette
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations of different methods of seed distribution.

2/26/19 Read with Julia.
Anna
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are wonderful. The story though could be better. It seemed cut off at some parts, but it ended beautifully. The ending was really nice on how it brought the whole book together.
Ama
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Danielle H
The illustrations in this book are lovely, very soft and detailed, but I realized in trying to look at it as a non-fiction text, I had difficulty understanding the order of some of the illustrations or what in fact they were illustrating. Would be a good addition to use with other, more descriptive/labeled texts.
Carla
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants-children
Planting the Wild Garden by Kathryn O. Galbraith was delightful! Wendy Anderson Halperin added to the story through her illustrations. While the book didn't focus on specific wildflowers, it showed that many animals and other natural forces help "plant" wild gardens. This is a basic look at seed dispersal. The illustrations are lovely--I like seeing all the different types of seeds inside the front and back covers. The story starts with a farmer and boy planting seeds in a garden. Illustrations ...more
Vera Godley
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love picture books for children. They are wonderful teaching tools and the opportunity they afford the child and parent to interact is tremendously rewarding to both the child and the adult. When you hold this lovely, large picture book you are immediately captivated by the illustrations reminiscent of an earlier gentler time when the illustrations of children's books were lovely, soft, gentle, and fine tuned. The beautiful watercolor and pen illustrations by Wendy Anderson Halperin are all ...more
Jennifer Lanman
This book would be a fun read for the students. It involves a lot of onomatopoeias for example, "plip-plop" "snap" and "hop hop nibble nibble". Even the words would move depending on the onomatopoeia being used, for example, "Ooooo-wishhh" was used for wind and the words were in a wavy form. The illustrations were very detailed and colorful. It gave you information on how to plant a garden. Also how not only human plant seeds, and that the animals,wind,water, and people all work together to help ...more
Erin
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

When children think of a garden, most will think of a patch of soil in the backyard filled with carrots, cabbage, and corn, but in this innovative picture book, Kathryn O. Galbraith and illustrator Wendy Anderson Halperin bring to life the wild garden of the earth. From the traditional planting of seeds, to the rush of the wind, the trampling of animals, and the movement of water, Planting the Wild Garden shows how all of us in partnership with nature and animals help plant the wild garden.

Mary Ann
Enter the world of a meadow garden, and look carefully around you. You’ll find seeds that planted in so many different ways:scattered, spilled, spun, and swept by the wind;eatenby a flock of goldfinches;washed by the rain to new places;carried elsewhere on foxes’ tails or peoples’ socks and sweaters. Galbraith and Halperin work together seamlessly, showing through poetic words and soft illustrations just how wild plants spread their seeds. Young children will be fascinated by Halperin’s many ...more
Karen
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

I didn't expect much from this book based on the rather tame cover and title. Boy, was I surprised. In a very good way.

The text reads like a non-rhyming poem -- my absolute favorite style of writing for children's picture books. The text was interesting, informative and still accessible for very young listeners. It was perfect.

The artwork, including that on the the end papers, was simply gorgeous. It was soft and subtle, but
Barbara
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
I love the way this book shows that humans plant some gardens, but that Nature has her own way of making sure life goes on as she uses the wind, rain, erosion, storms, and animals to move seeds to the right spot. While many times, there is no plan to how a seed hitches onto clothing or onto an animal's fur, the cycle of life continues on. This is an informative and lushly illustrated book with plenty of eye-appeal.
Katie Fleming
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
"Planting the Wild Garden," by Kathryn O. Galbraith is informing the reader on the different ways seeds can be planted. By the wind, water, animals, and people, we all helped plant the world. The illustrations in this book were great. Not only were they beautiful, but some of them also showed a timeline. They showed the different phases of plants as they grow. Overall, I thought this book was a great learning tool and enjoyable.
Daphne
What a beautiful book! I was expecting I guess a more traditional garden book, but this picture book describes how seeds are planted by all kinds of creatures, elements, and circumstances, by "All of us. Together." I also like the individual illustrations of all the seeds sprouting. I was actually quite moved by how the book links the world together using the smallest of seeds.
Lorena
Beautiful illustrations. Simple text about the ways that different seeds are spread across the land and how they grow. The kids loved the border pictures depicting the plant at various stages of growth. The last two pages are the BEST! It contains some reference books at the end that I need to check out. Highly recommend. Good for very young all the way to adult.
Alice
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the top of the Mani-La-Sal nation forest near Joe Valley reservoir in Central Utah, there is a sign. To Paraphrase it says "Don't pick the wildflowers, check under your car because that is who wildflowers and some noxious weeds are spread"

This is a great depiction of how weeds move. Through winds, moving on animals fur etc. Great non-fiction narrative!
Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
I would use this read-aloud to introduce the science standard, S4L1, to a fourth-grade class. The seeds that travel from place to place and to different consumers, including humans, will spark an interest in students. In turn, they will be ready to learn about the roles of producers, consumers, and decomposers in a community.
Caitlin Sabers
This is a beautifully illustrated book that shows how seeds are moved from place to place. The animals' fur pages can be used to relate to how children's hair and clothing can also transport seeds. This can be used for a unit on plants or animals, as many different types of animals and habitats are present within the pages.
Polly
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This will be perfect when spring comes, and 9 million preschool teachers need non-fiction about seeds growing for 4-year-olds. I wouldn't read this to anyone much younger than four, but it's a nice change from the usual sort of spring-for-preschooler non-fiction: "it is Spring. See the pretty flowers?".
Jenne
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This books teachers how seeds are scattered using the elements and animals so that new plants grow in the wild. We loved the illustrations in this book, especially the animals and the landscapes. This is going on our Christmas Wishlist (which is how we collect our favorite books read each school year).
Mymcbooks
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an exploration on how seeds are transported through various means. Kathryn tell a brilliant story about how nature takes part in sowing seeds through animals, people and how wind scatters seeds by spilling them and sweeping them up into the sunlight and across the fields. A perfect picture book illustrated by Wendy Anderson Halperin. I highly recommend this book.
Shelley
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-6, nature
I really like this book it talks about how the wild garden grows and seeds spread/are affected by all the different animals, elements, people, etc....and you see the cycle and the synergy of natural interactions
Christine Turner
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-non-fiction
Although this book is non-fiction it could work as a storytime book. That being said, there are many little detailes that would be lost in a larger setting. I think that it would be an excellent choice for one on one reading simply because the illustrations tell a beautiful story as well.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • Field Trip to the Moon
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride
  • Say Something
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Midnight Library
  • Seeds Move!
  • Hummingbird
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
  • The Halloween Tree
  • Waiting for Snow
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • Most People
Kathryn O. Galbraith is an award-winning children's book author with more than a dozen picture books to her credit, including Boo, Bunny!; Arbor Day Square; Traveling Babies; and Laura Charlotte. She teaches writing for children at the University of Washington.