Start by marking “Tales of Juha: Classic Arab Folk Humor” as Want to Read:
Tales of Juha: Classic Arab Folk Humor

Tales of Juha: Classic Arab Folk Humor

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Includes 20 to 30 tales, accompanied by an introduction and an historical overview which give readers insights into the culture, the folk literature, and the lives of the people in various regions.
Published November 1st 2006 by Interlink Books (first published October 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Juha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Juha

Tina
Oct 26, 2013 added it
Shelves: inspired-writing
Blog | Pinterest | Twitter | Booktube | Booklikes | Instagram | Google+ | Tumblr

I love this. If my brothers and I at any time were boastful or they were trying too hard to act macho, my family would ask them if they were trying to be like Antar (Antar and Abla, in my mother's words, are like the Romeo and Juliet of the Middle East; Antar was well known for chivalry and bravado etc. etc.). Juha is another character (like Antar) who's widely known through the Arab world. As my father put it, if an
James F
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of mediaeval Arabic humorous folk anecdotes attached to the name of Juha, a sort of Arab Till Eulenspiegal. Some are funny, some not so funny, some old chestnuts we have all heard a thousand times attached to other characters, few that anyone would find offensive. There is a certain amount of satire of wealth and political corruption. A quick, fun read.
Ðɑηηɑ
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Every religious bud/child who likes humor - no matter what religion, Juha comes in all forms
Juha comes in many versions, I know the Jewish-African Juha and the East-European Hershale. Both classic Juha. So, so humoristic!
Grady McCallie
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This brief book - easily read in an evening -- collects translated versions of various jokes and short folktales about the Arabic trickster/ character Juha. The collection is edited by Salma Khadra Jayyusi, which is what initially brought me to it - she's edited a long list of other excellent anthologies. She has a short introduction explaining how the book came to be; another introduction unfortunately focuses fruitlessly on the nature of the humor in the stories - humor is almost always pointl ...more
Aoitif Mourchid
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly wonderful! I remember these as being my favorite childhood tales that I read in Arabic. It's time now to revisit them in English. Great work is done here by the remarkable Salma Jayyusi. I truly respect this academic for being such a great representative of Arabic literature in particular and the Arabian heritage in general.
Adam001
Asim
Aug 19, 2017
Gutts Ojan
Oct 22, 2012
Salma Khadra Jayyusi (born 1926 or 1927) is a Jordanian-Palestinian poet, writer, translator and anthologist. She is the founder and director of the Project of Translation from Arabic (PROTA), which aims to provide translation of Arabic literature into English.

In 1960, she published her first poetry collection, Return from the Dreamy Fountain. In 1970, she received her PhD on Arabic literature fro
More about Salma Khadra Jayyusi