Start by marking “The Vietnam War: A Concise International History (Very Short Introductions)” as Want to Read:
The Vietnam War: A Concise International History (Very Short Introductions)

The Vietnam War: A Concise International History (Very Short Introductions)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Vietnam War remains a topic of extraordinary interest, not least because of striking parallels between that conflict and more recent fighting in the Middle East. In The Vietnam War, Mark Atwood Lawrence draws upon the latest research in archives around the world to offer readers a superb account of a key moment in U.S. as well as global history.

While focusing on Americ
eBook Kindle, 224 pages
Published August 27th 2010 by Oxford University Press (first published August 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Vietnam War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vietnam War

Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate this book. It asks and answers some questions about this war that I had not realized but that are important to understanding this great frustration of our nation. It paints in clear tones the forces, fears and ambitions that shaped this war. My husband thought it was dry but I found it concise and clear. I was looking to be more knowledgeable not necessarily emotionally moved or entertained though.
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Concise overview of the causes and events that led up to the Vietnam War, and the major events on both sides during the war, and the aftermath. Well written. A good supplement to the PBS documentary series about the Vietnam War. 4 stars.
Read this for a grad class.
As someone else on here said - the title sums it up pretty well. This is a short, sweet, and to the point survey of the Vietnam War from a more international, less American viewpoint. What makes this particular book 4-star worthy when I've read quite a bit on Vietnam is that Lawrence gives significant weight to the pre-American involvement origins of the Vietnamese conflict, which is so readily overlooked by many American historians. Should I ever find myself in such
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Grace by: Senior Seminar: Literature of the Vietnam War
Shelves: for-class
For a history book - and I am not a "history buff" - The Vietnam War: A Concise International History was interesting and even somewhat enjoyable. Prior to this book, I knew basically nothing about the Vietnam War. This book was appropriate for me in that Mark Atwood Lawrence didn't seem to assume I (the reader) knew anything, so I was able to make my way through this history, steadily gaining knowledge at an appropriate pace. The delivery of this book struck a fine balance between understanda ...more
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Actually pretty much what it says in the title. It explores the origins of the Vietnam War from back in the time of French colonialism, passes through the attempts by the French to reassert themselves after WWII, and then discusses the American involvement, but from what seems to an outsider like a reasonably balanced perspective. A pretty decent primer on a very complicated subject, with eerie echoes of what's happening in the Middle East.
sabra l wells
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all

This book gives an excellent historical portrayal of the Vietnam War, from the earliest days of French colonization to the last helicopter fleeing the American embassy. While its scope is wide it treats each major event in enough depth to successfully recall the entire period to mind. It goes further to suggest how Vietnam has continued to remain in the American psyche.
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-red before I branch out into other sources. Well written, accessible, and presents the conflict in a broader (and non-American-centric) perspective. Not the work for an in-depth understanding of American military involvement, conventional battle narratives, or grand strategy, but I have felt (both times) that this book provides a larger understanding necessary for any meaningful understanding of those factors.
Samina Nguyen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really expect this book to be interesting, and I was right. However, I did learn a lot about the time period and what occurred during the war. What I found most interesting was the end in which it was more about the soldiers and how they merged back into society and how the U.S. reacted towards them.
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one who is only interested in learning about the Vietnam War in order to be more informed and well-rounded, I thought this book was perfect. It didn't go into great amounts of detail, but wasn't overly simplistic, either. The author did his best to relate the story from a more global perspective, which I appreciated. A short read, but well worth it.
Tiffany Nguyen
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides a good description of the entire Vietnam war very clearly. Highly recommended and is easy to understand! If you need to do a book report this is the #1 book to read because it clearly states the causes, effects, and all events in the Vietnam War
True to its title. It's very clear and concise. It displays the power game between Washington, Beijing, Moscow, and of course Hanoi-Saigon, but does not run into too much details. Perfect brief capture of the Vietnam war for the ignorant like me.
Very interesting book. I listened to the audiobook and was disappointed in the narrator. Overall he was okay, but I really wish he--or the director--would have researched how to pronounce "Nguyen" and "Hmong" correctly (or at least the closest English equivalent).
Wendy Ma
a good coverage of the Vietnam War, good writing style and form, solid, sometimes a bit confusing because it orders by topics not time. but overall, it is a good intro book for the vietnam war that is generally easy to understand.
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather impartial look at the Vietnam war.
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really concise and interesting book about the events leading up to the war, the war and after.
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
Well-written but I couldn't read much without falling asleep each night. Sigh.
Bill Crew
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very good brief introduction!
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized how this war shaped my life. It was history, but history that I survived
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best history I'll read on the Vietnam war, what led to it, and what the aftermath was.
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good primer on the Vietnam War for those interested in the political strategy and tactics utilized by the Americans, North Vietnamese, NLF and South Vietnamese.
Emily Nguyen
This book taught me many things about the Vietnam War and helped me understand the causes and effects and events that happened as it went on
Jim Flora
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A interesting and useful overview of a complex subject.
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful in understanding how the Vietnam War came to be and why the US did not win it.
Thanks for the memories.
  • The First World War: A Very Short Introduction
  • Triumph Forsaken: The Vietnam War, 1954-1965
  • Understanding Vietnam
  • Choosing War: The Lost Chance for Peace and the Escalation of War in Vietnam
  • Curse of the Infidel (Rogue Warrior, #17)
  • Crusades: The Illustrated History
  • Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan
  • Seal Team One
  • Japan: A Modern History
  • Born Red: A Chronicle of the Cultural Revolution
  • Buddha For Beginners
  • Standing at Armageddon: The United States, 1877-1919
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts: Charting the Future of Teaching the Past (Critical Perspectives on the Past)

Nonfiction Deals