Start by marking “The Nightmare Factory” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare Factory

The Nightmare Factory

(The Nightmare Factory #1)

There's a secret you need to know. A secret about how nightmares are made. Welcome to the Nightmare Factory. When Andrew Lake and his twin sister Poppy are stolen from their dreams, they find themselves trapped in a strange realm parallel to our own.
320 pages
Published May 3rd 2012 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare Factory

Start your review of The Nightmare Factory
Tonja Drecker
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I love middle grade and was excited to read a 'darker' story. The plot moves along very nicely - never a dull moment. I found one or two scenes unnecessarily gory (must be the Mom in me). The room full of blood didn't add anything to the plot and seemed a bit heavy for the level.

All in all, it was a nice read and I'm sure kids will absolutely love it.
KaRo
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Czy zastanawialiście się kiedyś jak powstają sny? A może szukaliście odpowiedzi na to, skąd się biorą koszmary? Gdyby ktoś Wam powiedział, że swój początek biorą w dwóch fabrykach, uwierzylibyście?

Andrew i Poppy są bliźniakami. Mieszkają tylko z matką, ponieważ ich ojciec zginął podczas ratowania syna z pożaru. Od tego czasu chłopiec panicznie boi się ognia. Ostatnio miewa też dziwne sny, w których ucieka przed nieznajomym mężczyzną. Pewnego dnia budzi się z siostrą w innym wymiarze, okazuje
Laura Noakes
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I have a massive soft spot for really well written middle-grade fantasy. And I really, really wanted to love The Nightmare Factory, but for some reason I just couldnt. I thought that the whole concept of being trapped in dreams and the nightmare factory could have being explained a bit more. However, I was drawn in by the plot, I was worried about Poppy and Andrew and I wanted them to get out of The Nightmare Factory. But their brother sister relationship did at times seem slightly contrived. It ...more
Neil Trigger
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very very good breakout novel from one of the most original minds in children's fantasy to emerge in a long time.

The nightmare factory follows the usual path of the young male protagonist (though interestingly he is followed by his sister). They are captured and placed into what seems to be a prison within a dream.

The story engages quickly and mixes a lot of paradigms and belief systems to build a magical mystery with depth. I really enjoyed it.
Whizy
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I started reading and could not put the book down. Lucy has created very vivid and believable characters and a superb plot. I can't wait until the next book to find out what happens to Vesuvius. This book will appeal to all readers both young and old. Thoroughly recommended.
Emily
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This won the Waverton Good Read Children's Award, so I thought it'd be wrong of me not to read it. Plus reading children's books every so often is a nice escape/easy read. Some of the ideas in it were really original, which was brilliant - others less so but an enjoyable read none the less.
Haiku Reviews
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A Great Young Adult
Novel about fear and dreams
Nightmare Factory

Fear creates nightmares
Vesuvius wants to rule
He has an army

Andrew and Poppy
Are stolen from their own dreams
What is worth their lives?
Lucy
Lindsay Frahn
Oct 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Truman Show: The Shooting Script
  • Rubinrot (Edelstein-Trilogie, #1)
  • Die Physiker
  • The Sorrows of Young Werther
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)
  • Die Welle
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein-Trilogie, #2)
  • Studienführer Medizin
  • Emilia Galotti
  • Woyzeck
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
  • Star Crossed
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker (Tracy Beaker, #1)
  • 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
  • Macbeth
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)

The Nightmare Factory (2 books)
  • Rise of the Shadowmares