Start by marking “The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  346,487 Ratings  ·  23,070 Reviews
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has
Published September 13th 2011 by Delacorte Press (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Scorch Trials, please sign up.

Eajas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Katie
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
During this entire book, I counted how many times Thomas ended up passing out or sleeping either at the end of a chapter or paragraph and did you want to know what the finally count was?

29.

29 times this guy blacked out!! Out of 360 pages, Thomas left you with the cliff hanger of "and finally he slept" 29 times. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

If this didn't annoy you at all, reread this book (NOT RECOMMENDED) and realize that this dude spent most of his life passed out. Then try to tell me you didn't

Emily May

What the hell? Even though I have sometimes enjoyed a book and not really liked the sequel, it's very rare that I would love one and absolutely hate the other. I desperately tried to finish it but I was bored, I kept getting distracted by either my family, my cats or some random fluff on the carpet... so I just skim-read it to the end and gave myself a basic idea of what the conclusion was.

I truly loved The Maze Runner, even though quite a few people found it annoying - particularly the protag
Lola  Reviewer

How can an author start a trilogy with such a fascinating world-building, create endearing and strong characters and build up suspense and intrigue inside a complex and admirable plot…

and then write this?

description

That’s right, I’m extremely disappointed in Mr. Dashner. How could he make Thomas so annoyingly obsessed with that annoying girl he so annoyingly has telepathic conversations with? I.did.not.care.

I did not care about the romance. I did not want any romance. Honestly, I could say I adored the fir
Christina
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. STAY AWAY AND SAVE YOURSELVES!
Sigh. I don't know how to write a review for this book without it sounding like a full-out rant. So I guess I'll just rant.

First of all, I will admit that I only have myself to blame for picking up this (audio)book. I wasn't a fan of the first one, and yet I still decided to give The Scorch Trials a try. Somehow, this one was worse than the The Maze Runner. How so? Let me count the ways...

1. Character development. James Dashner deserves an award for achieving the impossible by being the first au
Thomas
I AM SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.

I hate it when people do that. Don't you just want to tell them," okay, calm down. It's not like writing in caps is going to get your point across any further." But I just had to, because my brain is bursting at the seams after reading The Scorch Trials.

I love Thomas' name! I know my enthusiasm is quite unnecessary, but I've never seen the name Thomas used for the protagonist of a book. And a great one, too. Now there are other references besides that darn Thomas the T
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I wrote this review a few years ago when I didn't care much about posting spoilers, but I now realize I probably should have posted a spoiler warning. So, here it is: this review contains big spoilers so tread carefully!

-----------

1/11/11

You know, there's a difference between creating suspense and just … being annoying. This book did more of the latter than the former. I enjoyed The Maze Runner; however, it got pretty confusing towards the end, and I was hoping that The Scorch Trials would give
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to break the bad news But...Guys..You have to Run Again...
No no, not the maze..but here..Welcome to the new Trial...
And Thomas, Remember..
WICKED is Good so shuckin' Wicked

"فيروس الأيبولا الدموي ينتشر في العالم وظهور حالة بنيويورك..الأحتباس الحراري وصل لمرحلة متقدمة... وجماعات تنادي بانقاذ القطب الشمالي"
هل مازلت تعتقد ان احداث تلك الرواية مستحيل تحققها في المستقبل؟؟

اذا شاهدت -واعجبك- الفيلم الأول , لا تنتظر الجزء الثاني وابدأ فورا في قراءة الرواية
تعبت من الجري مع توماس واصدقاءه في المتاهة,
Emily Rose
Holy klunk, this book is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!
Natalie Monroe
Thomas, honeybunch? We need to talk.

What exactly happened here? In the first book, you were a huge Gary Stu, yes, but you also captured my heart with your endearing awkwardness. You were a confused little boy that awakened the mama bear in me and made me want to take you in my arms and squeeze you til all the insecurity is gone. For the Scorch Trials, I still wanted to play the mom, but the kind that whacks you a new one so you'll sort your shit out.

How the hell did you go from this:

To this:

Half
May
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
Una segunda parte de la que esperaba poco y que me ha sorprendido gratamente. Me ha gustado bastante, aunque no tanto como El corredor del laberinto.
Eso sí, veo algunos cabos sueltos y personajes que no han evolucionado nada.
¡Con ganas de leer el tercero ya!
Laz
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dystopia lovers
WICKED is good. Nah.

Where should I begin? Firstly, this was by no means as good as the first book. The first book was a mix of thrill and adventure and the mystery surrounding everything was something that gave the chills.

On the other hand, the second novel failed to give me the goosebumps and I would sometimes lose interest. The storyline felt dragged on and phase two was a boiled potato. I felt like Mr. Dashner put all the characters and had them running around like pigs for nothing. It kind
Clau R.
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm more confused than ever!!!
Mitchel Broussard
Debra

I was expecting things to finally clear up at the end of this book, instead I was left with even more questions than before...

Up until 80% I really enjoyed the story though, and I'll probably read book 3 as well, because I just have to know how all of this is going to play out.

3.5 Stars.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Here we go again!

Just when they think they are all safe and in a place where there is food and water and showers and bed... nope, doesn't last very long.

They wake up from their little safe place to all kinds of weirdness, dead people hanging from the ceiling, cranks (crazy sick people) trying to get in the windows, Teresa gone and replaced by a boy named Aris, and other stuff.

THEN, they get locked in a room and when they are allowed out all of that stuff is gone and things are changed. Then a
P
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“The betrayal meant he couldn't trust her anymore, and his heart told him he couldn't forgive her.”

This book is as good as the first one, but honestly, the movie sucks. I legit adored the ideas in The Maze Runner. James Dashner successfully delivered enjoyment to me when reading his books. In The Scorch Trials, the game is changed, they don't run away anymore but have to find something or someone instead. The first 30% of the book was refreshing regarding that I did want to take a break from
Liam
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
re-reading this book was tHE BEST DECISION!!

I read this book for the first time a couple of years ago and I honestly could barely remember anything that happens... So when the trailer came out and it looked amazing I felt a re-read was needed!

This book was so fast paced and I just couldn't put it down!! Nearly every little chapter ends in a cliff hanger so I found myself saying "just one more chapter" at the end of every chapter...

The bromance and sass between the gladers in what stood out to
Maria Kaye
OH SHIT, IT LOOKS AMAZING. SOME TEASER PHOTOS FOR THE SCORCH TRIALS MOVIE.

description

There's more but these are the best, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
mark monday
from Maze to Desert
mystery to tedium...
magic gone; I fled

photo sigh_zps7b8198cf.jpg
~Tina~
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James Dashner is my freaken Hero!!!!

WOW you guys! Just O M G, WoW!
If y'all liked The Maze Runner, you'll LovE The Scorch Trials! It's unbelievable!

James Dashner as once again created a none stop, action packed adventure that will blow your ever loving Shuck-Sticks-Cranked mind.
With new characters and all your favorite crazed-lingo-Gladers, comes a story of constant struggle to survive, a once again, Trial that are even more terrifying, dangerous and in
Arlene
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi and Dystopia YA Fans
Post-apocalyptic Nightmare!

Wow, The Scorch Trials was definitely a bizarre mind trip, and after everything that was revealed and unfolded, I can’t wait to see how this series ends.

This next installment to The Maze Runner picks up right where the first book left off. The Gladers have been rescued from The Maze, but their trials are far from over. They are immediately launched into a human nightmare where WICKED uses mental, physical, psychological and emotional experiments to test mind patterns
Kate ♡
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
The Scorch Trials

This was an awesome books, however not as good as the first.
I loved all the mystery and constant suspense, although Thomas seemed to be sleeping or passing out a lot in this book :')

I feel like not a lot happened, yet a lot did at the same time. This book definitely took a different turn and was very different to The Maze Runner.

I'm excited to see how this ends, because I've heard very controversial things about it!
These books are great so far and I really want to pick up some
Renata
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabía a qué esperarme de este libro y la verdad me ha sorprendido. Me sentí muy decepcionada y traicionada y confusa en casi todo el libro pero supongo que es esto lo que James quiere. Espero que acaben ya con los juegos y ver que pasa por que me estoy poniendo muy nerviosa.
Laura Evlolle
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2015
Hui, fast an einem Stück weggelesen! Das war echt cool. :) Mir hat das alles sehr gefallen und ich so unfassbar gespannt, wie es weitergeht! Morgen werde ich direkt mit Teil 3 beginnen. :D Und auf den Film freue ich mich auch total. 8)
Franco  Santos
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buena continuación. En mi opinión, baja un poco el nivel: es más pausado que su predecesor y más lento, sin embargo, Dashner logró volverme adicto nuevamente a la historia.

description

Antes de que el mundo se viniera abajo, ella habló una vez más.

En esta entrega aparecen nuevos personajes, y es en donde comienza la verdadera aventura. Tiene partes en las que pensaba que el ritmo decaía, pero ahí, en esos momentos difíciles, aparece James para cerrarme la boca y así evitar que suelte el libro.

Intercamb
Denisse
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crushes
3.5 Faster than its predecessor. Not predictable at all. With great chemistry between characters. TST is a good sequel in my opinion, but sometimes the action overshadows the main plot line. At the end you still feel kind of confused against this world and its rules but you also get a bigger outlook at it, and that is going to help you understand the actions and emotions our main character has. It is entertaining but it is also just a filler, used to know a bit more our characters while giving u ...more
Jamie
Wow...just wow...This book left me both exhilarated and exhausted. Twist after twist, after twist! And they just kept on coming! If you are looking for a fast paced read that does not relent then this is it! However, if you have not read the first book you might want to stop reading this review and go read the first book of the series first. This will be here when you get back. So this book picks up right where the first book ends. Thomas wakes up to screaming and terror and things change and a ...more
J.L.   Sutton
After two books, I'd like some answers, but I'm not sure I'm going to continue the series. There were so many games within games. Our hero vows not to play any more games, but (given that he is not really in control and doesn't know who to trust) that's not really possible. So he will continue to be betrayed (or not). Was it all an act to fool those who are watching them in their games? While there were some things I liked about the book and some of the new characters which were introduced in th ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
The thrill, suspense and excitement of the events in the Maze Runner turned several notches down in this book. But it is in this sequel that the readers learn the world outside of the maze- a world that is just as terrifying or even worse than that of the maze. New characters, twists in plots and character roles take place that give a new take on the story.
Vane J.

If you have been following me, then you know I've been rereading books. Most of them have been big fails, and one or two have approved, but this is not the point in here. What I mean to say is that I read this book as part of that experiment of mine AND for another reason too. Can you guess what's the second reason?

Yeah, it's the movie.

To be honest, I hated the first one: It was boring, VERY different to the book (and I didn't particularly love that one), etc. BUT, I can never resist it. When t
Around the Year i...: The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner 4 44 Feb 14, 2017 07:58AM
jounal #6 1 4 Feb 01, 2017 04:41PM
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials Sequence, #2)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • Starters (Starters, #1)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Maze Runner (3 books)
  • The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)
  • The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)

“i felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn't need to run to the mirror to know they were gone” 671 likes
“Rose took my nose, I suppose” 458 likes