Start by marking “Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven” as Want to Read:
Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Subjects: Fiction / General; Fiction / Classics; Fiction / Literary;
Published July 24th 2010 by General Books (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

Liz
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
What an interesting and entertaining short story! I haven't read any Mark Twain in years, and I have a feeling I've really been missing out.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mark Twain takes our ideas about heaven and turns them upside down...I think his point is that we concentrate on our heavenly reward based on our vision of heaven - right or wrong.
Deb
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twain uses his character, Capt. Stormfield, to skewer the traditional Christian iconography around heaven. In Twain's heaven carrying a palm leaf gets tiresome, so people tend to hand theirs off to the newly arrived, singing in the heavenly chorus lasts maybe a couple of hours before it loses its charm, and other surprises await poor Stormfield.
Eva
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite work of Mar Twain's. I cried page after page and it made me feel really good about my faith and my convictions.
Teresa Lafferty
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the many books that got Mark Twain branded a heretic. But he was no heretic! He was right... who wants to sit around heaven all day doing nothing but flying on cherub's wings and playing harps. This again is great humor. Twain points out what our heart already knows to be true: heaven cannot be based on millenia of boredom. I love this story!
Maria
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Everything is relative, even heaven. Twain has a marvelous time letting us know that not only are we, as individuals, going to be small fry in heaven, but our whole universe is a speck on heaven's map. He points out that one cannot have happiness without sorrow (again one exists only relative to the other) and that what we have been told about heaven is not well thought out. Just look at how one would select how old one might wish to appear there. Thought provoking as usual, Twain brings up many ...more
Makomai
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Ovviamente il paradiso di Twain e’ la terra. Lungi dal dare una sua visione dell’aldila’ (in cui probabilmente non credeva neanche, almeno a giudicare dall’ironia – a volte feroce - riservata ai concetti tradizionali del paradiso cristiano), Twain fornisce - attraverso la descrizione di un paradiso molto terreno - i soliti pistolotti da vecchio saggio, per una ricetta di vita essenzialmente basata sugli adagi “sii contento di cio’ che hai” e “cerca di guardare alla vita con po’ di umilta’, reali ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was the last story that Twain published during his lifetime. It's quite interesting, its a bit of a satirical look at heaven in comparison to the religious view that most of us are taught.
The protagonist Captain Stormfield is really disappointed when he finally gets to heaven I guess, after all they're not just singing or playing harps all day, or flying around with their grand wings, nor just sitting around chatting with the patriachs and being all awestruck. And some of those you least ex
Ca
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very funny book but with a bite. If you are expecting Tom Finn, get ready for a must-be-taller-than-this ride. I consider myself Christian, but I don't understand peoples ideas of heaven. Do they really think it through? What do they expect to do with their time? Twain's take on heaven is satirically humorous. Challenge your preconceptions and join Captain Stormfield on his voyage.
Sarah Teal
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twain turns his ruthless practicality and even more ruthless humor on the concept of heaven. It is a very rewarding and hilarious read, where ultimately heaven isn't too different from the place which we inhabit now, and that's probably the point.
Crystal
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm 37 and the first thought was my God what have I been missing! Beautifully written and many curiosities we all have about heaven and after life were entertained and explained almost in a fashion that leaves you thinking ... hmmmm maybe he was onto something!
Nicola
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein witziges kleines Büchlein. Habe mich amüsiert und könnte mir vorstellen, dass die Geschichte zu Zeiten Mark Twains durchaus auch skandalös war. Aus heutiger Sicht ist die Kurzgeschichte immer noch für ein paar Lacher gut.
Anton
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, Funny, Awesome!!!
Scott Wozniak
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is classic, charming Mark Twain. The theology is squirrelly for sure, but I smiled frequently. Don't take it seriously and it's very much worth reading.
verbava
марк твен радісно й винахідливо виганяється зі спіритуалістів і всяких інших сведенборгіанців.
Jenny
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Twain has a wild imagination in this book. It sounds like even aliens go to heaven.
Pavel Rebrov
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatest story ever. I've first read it when I was 10 or so and keep returning to it ever since.
Lucy
Feb 07, 2013
DAVID HENSLEY
Dec 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...