Start by marking “Shock Totem 3: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted” as Want to Read:
Shock Totem 3: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted

Shock Totem 3: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted (Shock Totem #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Shock Totem presents issue #3, their biggest yet, nearly 50% bigger than the first two! It features previously unpublished stories from the likes of John Skipp, Tim Leider, S. Clayton Rhodes, Steven Pirie, and eight others, plus one poem. Also conversations with D. Harlan Wilson and Count Lyle of the band Ghoultown, nonfiction from Mercedes M. Yardley, and much more
Published January 7th 2011 by Shock Totem Publications (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shock Totem 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shock Totem 3

Cate Gardner
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Outstanding as always. Standout stories were Drift by Amanda C Davis, A Birth in the Year of the Miracle Plague by Jeremy Kelly, Wanting It by Aaron Polson and Eye, You by Joseph Morgado. And Mercedes M Yardley once again provided a poignant non-fiction piece.
Gef
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is always something in an issue of Shock Totem that enthralls me, and for two issues now Mercedes M. Yardley has been the deliverer. Her trips down memory lane have twice led me along a path where something with very sharp teeth greeted me at the end. I don't always go for nonfiction, especially when I'm on the hunt for short stories--which ST provides with great proficiency--but if Mercedes is writing it, then count me in.

Okay, on to the fiction.

With this third issue of ST, they managed t
Bandit
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solidly entertaining and enjoyable read from Shock Totem. This one if the fattest so far in sheer volume, although lot of it is padding, many more reviews and a very long interview with a person from a band. I read it all, but given preference, I would certainly prefer just the stories. Music to me is the sort of thing to listen to, not to read about. And frankly, it seems out of place in a publication going for twisted macabre tales. It was actually shocking to read a negative review of ...more
Richard Thomas
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection. Especially loved "The Meat Forest" and "Drift." If you like dark fiction, pick this up.
Donald Armfield
I have the whole collection of Shock Totem buried in my kindle want to-reads. I'm glad I opened another one of these books. I found another book added to my shelves. Digging Up Donald (Yeah that's my name) by Steven Pirie. I will probably be reading that real soon. Bloodstained & Blue Suede Shoes I found to be an interesting research piece and Ruth by the Sea by the flash fiction winner of 2010. Was great. Below are others I enjoyed with a small review.
Drift by Amanda C. Davis
"The snow has
Tom
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another super collection of stories from writers to watch. Once again I found myself totally absorbed in the stories..
I look forward to reading the next issue. Shock Totem continues to rank up there with Cemetery Dance magazine and Dark Discoveries as the places to go to read great new horror and fiction.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: journal
3.5

I'm very picky about horror fiction and there were a couple of stories I really liked in this issue but also a few that didn't quite resonate with me.
I look forward to seeing what is in the next issue.
David
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, paranormal, zine
Even better than Volume 2! The byline for Shock Totem is: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted. What you get is a collection of stories (and more) that don't fall into the standard horror mix. These are tales that Vincent Price might regale you with, or Lovecraft would nod at with approval. If you're looking for guys with chainsaws running around, you're in the wrong place.

I don't think I've mentioned this before but the cover art always sucks me in. This issue, featuring a house of surreal,
Steve Bouchard
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
So this was my second trip into Shock Totem land, and just as great as the first (er, my first, which was the fifth one, that is)...

I found myself liking stories I don't usually care for. Like John Haggerty's "The Meat Forest" with its cast of nasty characters, or especially the gruesome "Worm Central Tonight!" by John Skipp. That one starts: "So I'm burrowing into this dead guy's eyeball..." and just gets better from there. Yeah, probably wasn't the best choice to read while eating supper, but
Alexis
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading Shock Totem 4, I had high expectations for Shock Totem 3. And yes, I seem to be working my way backwards! My expectations were completely justified and Shock Totem 3, for me, provided yet another set of wonderfully crafted stories under yet another gorgeous cover.

Midway through Shock Totem 3, I read "Drift" by Amanda C. Davis. This story captured me with its very natural, very realistic portrayal of a child. The descriptions brought to mind images of my own little brother and so wh
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
Best yet

I have all issues of this superb mag. Having read the first few issues, this I have decided is my favourite. Not a sentence wasted. Quality oozes throughout. Buy now or pay later.
Andre
Nov 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
As with all short story collections, some great, some ok and some simply a waste of time. Overall I did enjoy reading these stories though, and I have to say. There is some high quality here.
Donna
Jun 10, 2014
Frank Cornacchia
Aug 12, 2017
Merrilee
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: horror, anthology
Gary
Jun 26, 2012
Christopher
Jan 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
K. Allen Wood’s fiction has appeared in 52 Stitches, Vol. 2, The Zombie Feed, Vol. 1, Epitaphs: The Journal of New England Horror Writers, The Gate 2: 13 Tales of Isolation and Despair, Anthology: Year One and Year Two, as well as Appalachian Undead and its companion chapbook, Mountain Dead.

He is also the editor/publisher of Shock Totem, a bi-annual horror fiction magazine. He lives and plots in
More about K. Allen Wood...

Shock Totem (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 2: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 4: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 4.5: Holiday Tales of the Macabre and Twisted - Christmas 2011
  • Shock Totem 5: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 6: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 7: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 8: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Shock Totem 8.5: Holiday Tales of the Macabre and Twisted - Valentine's Day 2014
  • Shock Totem 9: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted