Start by marking “Who Was Rosa Parks?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Rosa Parks?

Who Was Rosa Parks? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  625 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
In 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give her bus seat to a white passenger in Montgomery, Alabama. This seemingly small act triggered civil rights protests across America and earned Rosa Parks the title OMother of the Civil Rights Movement.O This biography has blackand- white illustrations throughout.
Published December 1st 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap

Mariah
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading the "Who Was..." and "What Was…" books, even as an adult. This story was really interesting and I learned about some people, who I had heard of before, but did not know their complete connection to the civil rights movement.

I was very glad this book talked about Claudette Colvin. She was the first person to not give up her seat on a bus and was beaten and sent to jail for it. Many books about the civil rights period do not talk about her, so it was refreshing to read this one. Th
Matt
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is about Rosa Parks who was a big spark in the multi-race revolution. She was a courages person who took her freedom and brought it out! Her disobeying these unfair laws was just outstanding! I say that I recommend this to people who love freedom.
Vianni Richards
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who was Rosa Parks? was an incredible biography on the life of the lady who started a revolution by just sitting on bus! I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read quick, interesting books. If this one isn't for you, try another Who Was?/Is book.
Madissen
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it taught me how it was when Rosa Parks was alive about the buses and more.
Joey Oborne
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not know a thing about Rosa Parks, I learned that she did not give up her seat and she said not to a white person so she had to got to jail but then other people helped her out of jail. I think of Rosa of Martin Luther King Jr because they wanted the same thing FREEDOM and they worked to getter and not blacks and whites can do the same things for an example ( E.X) back then black and white students can not go to the same school but not all because of Martin Luther King Jr blacks and whites ...more
Wade
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Rosa Parks grew up in a time when black and white children (and adults) were not treated the same. Lily and Wade are inspired by her lifelong courage to work for more fairness in the world. This book taught us about a lot of new big words like segregation, equality, racism, prejudice, civil rights, boycott, protest, fairness, unconstitutional, and nonviolence.

Rosa understood how important it was for everyone to vote, but before 1965 there were laws that made it very difficult for most black peo
Kayla Fjellbo
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone knows who RosaParks is because most people learn about her in elementary school, well how do the kids of today's generation learn? The same way as everyone else, through books! Who Was Rosa Parks by Yona Zeldis McDonough is kid-friendly book that teaches kids who exactly Rosa Parks was. The book starts with Rosa's childhood and goes from there, emphasizing her legendary bus incident that sparked a revolution. This book will teach kids to always stand up for what you believe in even if s ...more
Erin
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of biographical writing; ages 8-10
Recommended to Erin by: brother
So.

The book itself was good. I liked the way it was written: very simple with all the facts there. The cover creeps me out. Rosa Parks was fabulous. The writing was kinda VERY simple, but I read it anyways. Overall, it was okay. Good if you want to know more information about her. Terrifying for a plot read.

Note: used to own
Stephanie Campos
This book is about a girl named Rosa Parks who grew up to be a person who has rights.She lived near tons of people who didn't respect her rights.She would not like when only white can sit in the front and black have to sit in the back of the bus.This book is for people who want to know how all of it started.
Ryan Diaz
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was informational text because, well, it's a biography. I also thought this book was a nice holiday biography book about Rosa Parks. It actually made me learn some things that I didn't know about like famous people and events that happened.
Gerardo Sicairos
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book who was"Rose Parks" is a good book to learn about African American history and to learn about Rosa Parks and what she did to stand up for her people.I recommend this book to people that want to learn about Rose Parks and what she did.
Jennifer Niles
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Nonfiction - Biography

Copyright date: 2010

Estimate of age level of interest: 8-13 years old

Estimate of reading level: 4th Grade

Brief description: An illustrated biography about the life of Rosa Parks.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book.
This book is a nonfiction biography about the life of Rosa Parks, beginning in childhood. In biographies for children it important that it
Nea
Who Was Rosa Parks is a biography intended for children of age 8-12 years old. Its one of The New York Times Best-Selling Series.
Summary: The book pretty much tells of Rosa Parks and her life living though segregated times. It also tells of her famous spot on the bus that she wouldn't give up to a white person.

Evaluation: I rated this book a surely five star because of its accuracy and thoroughness. It not only told of her famous story but her actual life and growing up. It even mentions of ot
Carolina Torres
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Who Was Rosa Parks?" by Yona Zeldias McDonough is such an inspiring book and teaches kids and adults to stand up in what they believe in no matter what! I love Rosa Parks because it shows woman can stand up for themselves and be brave with men think we can not! (Yes,I am a girl and I proud of that! :) This book is about the famous Rosa Parks! She was know for her civil rights action! With is she refusing to give up her sit for a white man but because she is black and does not have the same righ ...more
AMY
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
106 pages. Well-written and well organized biography of a famous lady who ignited the Civil Rights Movement with her refusal to move seats on a bus. I learned a lot I had not previously known about her and it really helped fill in some gaps in her story. I got a better context of her actions and feel I understand her whole life story a little better. I think students and teachers should read this one before beginning a unit on her. It would be very helpful for reports or just general knowledge o ...more
Landen
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who Was Rosa Parks by Yona Zeildis McDonough was a great book. This book was about Rosa Parks and her life story. Also about her achievements, and accomplishments throughout the Civil Rights Movement.

In my opinion this was a really good book. My favorite part was when she got the highest US civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I also really liked how the book went in chronological order. This helped me follow along with the book better.

I would definitely recommend this book to an
Ashley Marcum
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most recent book I read was Who was Rosa Parks by Yona Zeldis. This very informational book was about a young black girl who had high hopes and goals to earn equal rights for women and African Americans. She grew up being bullied by whites and was forced to go to a black only school that was very poor when the whites went to a clean all white school. This was because of segregation. So ever since Rosa Parks was a child, she has always been fighting for her rights as a US citizen. When Rosa g ...more
 RLL22016 Annamaria Delatorre
Who was Rosa Park is a fabulous read. The book discuss her life and the day everything occurred on the bus. Rosa refused to give her seat away to a white woman and caused the Civil Right protests across America and later in life Rosa was titled Mother of the Civil Rights Movement. A good time to read this would be during Black History Month. Age group I would say younger grammar school so from first to about fifth grade.
Adam N
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book it was pretty good. Rosa parks was born on February 4,1913. She grew up around a time where segregation was big. The KKK or Ku Klux Klan marched near Rosas house sometimes and her grandfather sat on their porch with a gun. In 1945 she was regestrated to vote. She died on October 24, 2005 her coffin was placed in Washington DC to be remembered. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes history.
Tricia
5 facts -
1. Rosa Parks was married when she was 20
2. Rosa's grandmother died when she was 16.
3. She had to take 3 reading and PAY A TAX to vote!
4. She cleaned houses and sold apples to make money
5. She went to Miss White's school for girls.
Alexis Barber
I think this book is good at illustrating Rosa's life. I think that it is a good quick read, and a great book for learning. I gave this book a 3 star rating because it could have been a little more detailed. I think this book was an overall decent book.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: layla-books
Layla's book report.
The history lessons added in are good but confusing as they don't follow the timeline.
BleuMyst
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Rosa Parks story and how she made a difference for the Blacks in the South
Bradie
This book taught me a lot about a wonderful historical figure.

Bradie - Age 9
Paul King
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading for kids

A little unbalanced on evil whitey as usual, but a kid who can think critically will still find this book useful.
Sophie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good historical book for those who would like to learn more about the 1960 segregation time along with learning about this invertible lady.
Yeap Naw
History
Tina
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, who-is-was, 2017
Rosa Parks fought for her rights and for the rights of African Americans during the Civil Rights Moment. Activism works, you just have to believe in yourself. Rosa Parks sure did!
Dasawn Reynolds
This book was alright to read. If you want to learn about black history you read books like these. The is informational and educational and tells you a lot about what black people went through back then. Rosa parks is very important person in black history along with Malcom X, Marther Luther King Jr. and more.
Kristina Cardoza
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY:
Who Was Rosa Parks? by Yona Zeldis McDonough is a great African-American biography for all ages! Although Rosa Parks was not born in slavery days, she still made a large impact on society. She grew up in Pine Level, Alabama and moved to Montgomery, Alabama when she was eleven. After marrying Raymond Parks at eighteen, she started working at the NAACP. Rosa's most well-known incident is when she got arrested just for keeping her seat on the bus, but that isn't all she did--read the book
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • Who Was Paul Revere?
  • Who Was Steve Jobs?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn and many of my novels take place here. But my new novel takes place in New Hampshire, and I have woven into it a historical component: the tragic story of Ruth Blay, who in 1768 was the last woman hanged in the state. When I read about Ruth, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure, and I knew I had to write about her.
I was educated at Vassar College and Col
More about Yona Zeldis McDonough...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 139 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?