Start by marking “CS! Chile” as Want to Read:
CS! Chile

CS! Chile

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

This bestselling series of culture & etiquette guides covering countless destinations around the globe provides a sympathetic & fun- filled crash course on the dos & don'ts in foreign cultures, and is designed to enlighten & inform through topics like language, food & entertaining, social customs, festivals & much more.

Published April 1st 2011 by Cavendish, Marshall Corporation (first published September 1998)

To ask other readers questions about CS! Chile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CS! Chile

Kevin
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though it markets itself as a catch-all guide for expatriates moving to Chile, "Culture Shock" is really for corporate types from wealthy, Western countries who are being transferred to Santiago. And who have a more-than-healthy fear about it.

While the book does do a minimally acceptable job of summarizing the idiosyncrasies of Chilean culture, the authors' dead-on-arrival writing style, aforementioned class bias, and inability to scratch below the surface of Santiago's social elite, make this a
Sally
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read through this as I helped my son with a project for Spanish class. We have friends from Chile, and I was surprised to realize that I understand Chilean customs better than I thought, just from being around them.

Things I learned:

It's polite to be late to social events.

There is corn with kernels so large that popcorn is the size of golf balls.

New Year's is in the middle of the summer (duh) so it involves BBQs, the beach and fireworks. Doesn't that sound funner than setting off a brick of fir
Restokes92
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultural-books
The main idea of this book is to describe the festivals of Chile. The genre of the book is nonfiction.

I would use this book to teach about the diversity of cultures from around the world. I would focus on how different words or language is across the world and help students to pronounce words like Tangata Manu which is a festival celebrated on Easter Island by Chileans.

The author provided (as the authors in this series always do) a huge amount of detail on the festivals of Chile. Not only were t
Blanca Vera
Mar 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I can't believe how horribly outdated this book is, even when reading the 2011 edition.

"With the exception of artists, gays remain in the closet. It would be rare to meet an openly gay couple." Seriously, was this written in the 80's?

"While the pill is is relatively inexpensive, the cost is still prohibitive for lower income sectors." The pill is given for free!!!!

"VISITING A CHILEAN HOME....Tips on Socialising • Dress nicely, no jeans"

"As recently as a few years ago, women would not venture out
Nicola
May 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, yeah, a bit embarrassed (is there a "bare" "ass" in embarrassed or is my mind in someones gutter??) to even have read this book. Never read it in public. Why? Because I hate feeling like a tourist. Its all about wading past the impersonal, shallow end of the pool filled with childrens urine.... I appreciated this book with its chilenismos and etiquette lessons and historical facts, etc. But, ultimately, its about details for me, not generalizations, and its also always about living in a plac ...more
Carly
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book on the airplane to Chile. It was definitely a good intro to the country. It contained some interesting information and I really liked all the info on the political history. It helped us feel better prepared for the cultural differences for sure. Some of their information, like arriving late for parties and such aren't necessarily true according to our Chilean friends, but it seems most of the things they mention are accurate. I'd recommend it if you're planning on traveling to Chi ...more
Lanelle
A very good book, if you, like me, will soon be travelling to Chile. It includes popular slang terms, a pronunciation guide for Chilean Spanish, and a lot of great information about the culture. It did include some information that many might not find necessary for a short trip to Chile, like the history of the nation and how it was formed. Though not necessary, I still found this information interesting.
Karla
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I was curious about how Chile would be depicted. There are some things that I never heard about while I lived there. Some things I did. The book is ok if you want a general idea and can read it with a grain of salt.
Jen Burstedt
Although the edition that I read was about 16 years old, there were some useful pieces of information in this book. I recently went on a trip to Chile; much of what is written is still valid.
Samantha
Aug 05, 2017
Kael
May 08, 2014
Cecilia Martinez
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2014