Start by marking “Deep, Dark & Dangerous (Vikings Underground, #4)” as Want to Read:
Deep, Dark & Dangerous (Vikings Underground, #4)

Deep, Dark & Dangerous

(Vikings Underground #4)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  840 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A star in a world of wealth and privilege....

Fed up with Hollywood backstabbing, famous movie actress Madalyn Simon decided to escape the spotlight. Her new back-to-basics existence in an Alaskan cabin did take getting used to, but at least she was in control of her own destiny -- or so she thought. While snowmobiling on the frigid coast with her sister, the pair is tak

Published March 7th 2006 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deep, Dark & Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep, Dark & Dangerous

AgentScully
This is a light-hearted romp built around a what-if. Namely, what if modern day Vikings lived in carved-out mountains in the Alaskan wilderness? The author takes this premise and has fun with it. This is not sci-fi or paranormal. If you want serious world-building and/or geeky explanations of why they have elevators but few light bulbs, then you'll have to go elsewhere.

The characters make this story. What's not to love about a strong, muscular Viking hero who's loving and patient with his heroi
MelissaB
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MelissaB by: Agent Scully from Amazon
This was a fun little book. The premise isn't very believable but if you can suspend belief about the setting, the characters are fun.

Madelyn is an actress who gets sick of the Hollywood lifestyle and moves to a remote cabin in Alaska to get away for awhile. She rediscovers herself after a few weeks just in time for a visit from her paranoid anti-government sister Drake. While on a snowmowbile ride to look at some whales, they catch sight of three men.

Those three men are actually Vikings who ar
Jane Stewart
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's campy, fun, erotic, different, and wild. There were some humorous lines. I enjoy this strange Viking underworld.

STORY BRIEF:
This is the fourth story in a series about an underground Viking culture. They kidnap modern women to be sold to the men as wives. They have a shortage of women. Otar used to be wealthy but the corrupt current ruler Toki took away his property. He, his mother, and his sister now live in Shanty Row – the poorest part of the city. They live in a hut made of twigs and mud
Shana
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Through out this book I laughed and kept saying the repeated phrase of "OH MY GOD!" and yes for all the right reasons. This book had cute bantering between characters and sweet love making. It almost makes me want to take a venture out to Alaska!

Jaid Black has a very good series some of which are in anthologies. I haven't found one of them yet at my local bookstore or in my library. But If I have to I will be ordering it.

The story takes place in adventurous Alaska for the most part and it is ric
Lynsey
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Vikings have never been my fantasy - but that was before I discovered those Vikings Underground!

I read Hunters Oath in Playing Easy To Get and absolutely loved it. When I heard about Deep, Dark and Dangerous I just HAD to get it and I'm glad I did because I loved it too.

It was sweet and sexy, just as I had hoped it would be. How could a girl resist those big gorgeous vikings that are dying to find a woman to love and treasure and of course make mad passionate love to at every given opportunity.
Jamie Lynn
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I mean, I finished it, but couldn't get into it. I was willing to suspend my disbelief, but it was too preposterous. From the impossibility of growing food without sunlight, to the notion that someone could fall in love with not just their captor, but the person who stole them from pizza delivery, antibiotics and anything approaching gender parity, within a week, was too much for me to swallow.
L8blmr
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
I can't believe this is the same Jaid Black that wrote "One Dark Night", which I enjoyed. This book was not well done at all! Very immature writing, implausible plot (not the paranormal aspect; present day - two women just disappear from the face of the earth and no one notices?!? men are sent out from "underground" because of a threat from the army and ... guess what ... no army, but a former drop dead gorgeous actress living in isolation in Alaska?!? Oh, and the men had seen all her movies and ...more
Bridget
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: hot
Silly premise. Vikings have lived UNDERGROUND for centuries to keep faith with their dogma. Under a mountain in Alaska. Undetected. A movie star is tired of all the Hollywood hoopla so she moves to a extremely remote area of Alaska to live by herself with a goat. And her $27,000 bed. Has to take a snowmobile ride for an hour to get to an inuit village. Come on. Really? She and her visiting sister (how did she even get there?) are kidnapped by these vikings, who watch movies in their underground ...more
Mary
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF. Dumb. Too over-the-top
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series. I just love the way the men love their wives. It's really well done.
Lisa Ransom
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the moments of escapism reading these books,

The four Vikings Underground books released so far are a great way of escaping the normal everyday books of chick-lit
Its a great & original idea too. I can hardly wait til the 5 the book is released! But til then.... I'll keep reading & re-reading on my long nights of insomnia! Well done Miss Black, hurry up and write more of these books, PLEASE!
Rachel
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this story it made me laugh out loud in some chapters. Love the main characters. If you looking for a summer fun read this book is it!!! One thing is for sure you will be amused. A fast read!!
Karmen
A very cute and silly tale - underground Viking village, genetics lab .... a prophecy warning of danger to women "above ground"
Nuchchy
Amazingly beautiful book! Sexy, sweet, heartbreaking this book has it all!
Kathleen J
Sep 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
So juvenile and shallow that, if it weren’t for the sex, the audience would clearly be young teens.

She’s a beautiful movie star tired of the shallow Hollywood scene who moves to rural Alaska to live incognito. He’s a Nordic warrior from an ancient civilization, New Sweden, living underground and he captures her when out reconnoitering. He had seen her movies and had already been fixated on her, primarily because of her large, perky breasts. After capturing her, that quickly expands to, in effect
Terra
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Deep, Dark & Dangerous by Jaid Black is an unusual book. Light and fluffy, barbaric, erotically sensual makes this novel a really quick read. I found the beginning of the story to be a bit rough around the edges as if it were a new author with their first book but it did pick up and get better.

Madalyn is a burnt out actress looking for life in all the wrong places. Leaving Hollywood behind and in a stir as to her whereabouts, Madalyn goes to the opposite extreme by moving to the Arctic Wilde
Ann aka Iftcan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
First of all--I LOVE the idea for the setting of this book. Vikings still exist, living hidden underground in the Arctic, kidnapping the occassional woman to help keep their people from becoming too inbred (altho that is not their reasoning.) Long ago, when Vikings still ruled the seas and were feared all over Europe, the clan that spawned our hero had a seer who foresaw the coming "end of days" and that the clan COULD survive it--if they moved underground and kept themselves hidden from the out ...more
Ali
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ok I was so disappointed by this book and another short story of the series that I have read so far. The first short story I read about this series was so good and sucked me in with the intrigue that it created. And so far this is the first actual book from the series that I have been able to find anywhere.

The overall plot idea for this series, I think is great. But so far I feel as if the author is not pushing it as far as she could and just bein overly simple and bland with it.

If she re-amped
MK
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f, uber-alpha
This is the fourth book of Vikings Underground story. This simultaneously happens with book two. This is about Maddie, an actress who wants to have a new life, and Drake, her anti-government sister. The guys are Otar and Iiro, who will besieged the current kingdom and win their rights.

This story is longer than the three, which I appreciated. The events are now hurried on, and I can enjoy more the plot, sex scenes and the climax. This story also hints that what the guy's gods prophesied may come
Sharon
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-romance
I would actually give it 3.5 stars. It's been awhile since I have read a non-paranormal erotica book, but this was fun. The Vikings story is fun and those are real men's men, that's for sure. The characters were very likable and the sister Drake was hilarious.

That being said, I could have used more sex (can't we all), and I would have liked to know more about Drake's story with her man. It was breezed over since the book wasn't really about that, but I think the book should have been about them
Raine
This book was not as good as.the Trek Mi Q'an series. I'm not sure that I will read anymore in this series. The sexy scenes were just ok, but I've read better with Rhiannon Byrd and Evangeline Anderson. Was a bit of a disappointment, but I'm glad I just borrowed the paperback from my local library.

I read the paperback version and want to say that even though it was 265 pages it was a really fast read (though I must have my Kindle settings set to small fonts since I tend to only read on my Kindle
Laura the Highland Hussy
I was so so SO disappointed with this book :( I had hoped that hot Viking warriors who lived underground near the Arctic coast and kidnapped 2 sisters as war brides would have a better plot than it did, and I was equally unimpressed with Jaid Black's writing style.
I liked the characters, and cared for the heroine, but there was no immediate intense attraction, for her, and no showing of the gradual love she came to feel. It was so blah that I won't even recommend it. It wasn't awful, it was blah
Meredith
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lord almighty is this a silly book, but sometimes that's just what you need. Not everyone likes Black's writing style but it doesn't bother me, in fact I think it's really fun.

But let's be honest, this book definitely strains the "believe-ability" index pretty far. Starlet in remote Alaska? Vikings living underground? Totally kooky. If the Viking in question didn't work for me, the whole book would fall apart, but I like Black's Vikings so the book, while nutty, worked for me.

☂ ℬrandi
Laughable and reasonably dirty. I'm not saying that's good or bad but I sure didn't expect it based on the title/cover/summary. Super fast read and campy enough that it's acceptable to roll eyes one second and then appreciate some of the naughty things in the next. I haven't read Jaid Black before and since my libraries don't carry her books I guess I might not. I'd like to give her writing another chance as I'm sure other stories will surpass this one.
2.5/3 stars
Angie
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this story because it was very relatable. I liked that the main characters went through the same trials that most people go through: getting to know each other, meeting the in-laws, getting auctioned off to highest bidder...okay so not the last one. But I liked that things weren't perfect and both people had to give a little to make things work. The sex scenes were pretty hot too.
Tash
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Not as good as the previous book in the series, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was a really cute love story and hilarious at times. I love the Vikings! They are a perfect mixture of alpha and gamma, just the way I like my heroes.
I read historical stuff mainly, so I really enjoyed how the author fused the modern world and the medival world together. Fun read!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Great love scenes abound in this romantic story of two polar opposites who find love and passion with each other. The way the vikings kidnap their brides may not be a good thing, but the men take good care of their women and Otar, for one, doesn't let Madalyn want for anything, especially great sex. Great read!!
Jenny Rebecca
I didn't get that far in this book. It had a slightly 'not much story, lets get to fast sex' feel to it. To quote myself (Cause' I'm awesome that way) I like a lot of smut in my story, but I like a little story in my smut" There was not enough story before too much smut. I may give her another go later.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
So the sex scenes were pretty hot in a "Me Tarzan, you Jane" type of way, much more explicit than what I was expecting as I haven't read anything else by this author but it takes a lot of effort to ignore the unbelieveably inane plot. Not really a book to be read for the story but light and amusing in its way.
Jesica
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solo la curiosidad morbosa hace que siga esta saga... jejejjee No se porque me gusta pero al mismo tiempo no.. aunque a medida que la saga avanza con cada libro se nota el cambio en la pluma (para mejor) de la autora.. ademas nos va contando mas detalles sobre este mundo..!
  • Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down (B.A.D. Agency, #0.5; Vikings Underground, #2)
  • Kieran the Black
  • Manaconda (Trek Mi Q'an #6) (Horde Wars #4)
  • Ben and Shadoe (The Hunters, #5)
  • The Gladiators (Enslaved, #3)
  • The Very Virile Viking (Viking II, #3)
  • Hot Nights, Dark Desires (Includes: ACRO, #2.5)
  • Exodus (Atlantean's Quest, #2)
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed
  • For Her Pleasure
  • Secrets: The Best in Women's Romantic Erotica Vol. 9
  • Down In Texas
  • Jane's Warlord (Warlord #1)
  • The Westerfield Affair (Westerfield, #1)
  • Demon's Fire (Tale of the Demon World, #6)
  • Hanging by a Moment (Were Watching, #2)
Jaid Black is the pseudonym of Tina M. Engler, the founder & owner of Ellora's Cave Publishing. Ms. Engler has been featured in every available news outlet, from the Washington Post and L.A. Times to Forbes, Publisher's Weekly, national TV news stations, and the Montel Show. Ms. Engler was officially recognized by Romantic Times Magazine with their first ever Trail Blazer award as the mastermi ...more

Vikings Underground (8 books)
  • The Hunted (Vikings Underground, #1)
  • Besieged (Vikings Underground, #1)
  • Hunter's Right (Vikings Underground #2)
  • Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down (B.A.D. Agency, #0.5; Vikings Underground, #2)
  • Hunter's Oath (Vikings Underground #3)
  • Playing Easy to Get (B.A.D. Agency #1.5; Vikings Underground #3; Immortals After Dark #1)
  • Big, Bad Brutal (Vikings Underground, #5)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Boy I Hate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99