Start by marking “Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way” as Want to Read:
Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way

Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Is it really possible to simplify your life? The answer is a resounding "yes," if you know the necessary steps to unclutter your life and lifestyle. Get the inside scoop from professional organizer Marcia Ramsland and begin to solve your life management issues like a pro. With fast-paced, step-by-step instructions, Marcia walks you through refreshing new ways to manage you ...more
Published January 7th 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Simplify Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify Your Life

Donna
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This is the most overtly religious of the organizing books I've tried, and it's aimed solely at women. While I could have done without some of its assumptions, it's still the most practically helpful organizing book I've come across so far.

The author's PuSH method made little sense to me, even after all the examples I found it hard to differentiate between the System and Habit categories. But her strategies for avoiding paper pile-ups have already made a big difference in my stress level.

The tip
sarafem
Jan 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When I need to know how stay at home moms that teach Sunday school and sing in the choir keep all their Bible studies organized between soccer practice and PTA, I'll pick up this book again. Until then, uhh, no.
Leigh Ann
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to have a ton of easy practical steps to organize my home and I've been using some of the ideas this summer. My house is looking MUCH better!!
Shannon
This was a pretty good book, although it covers a lot of territory that is better-covered in her later book, Simplify your Space. Still i got a lot of ideas.
P
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An upbeat - you can do it - message. The author breaks down each room in small chunks and gives time estimates for each job. If you start this programme, my advise is to take before and after photos and team up with someone like-minded. I did just that and it turned out to be a lot of fun and kept me going when I would have been distracted. Your partner doesn't even have to live in your town if you take and share the before and after photos. I would have liked to have seen more details for home ...more
Hope
In Simplify Your Life, Ramsland encourages list makers (like me) to live horizontally rather than vertically. A vertical person looks at a long "to do" list from top to bottom and becomes overwhelmed. A horizontal person looks at a calendar ("the big picture") and sees where active days have to followed up with lighter ones. Programming quiet and alone time after a day of heavy social interaction has been revolutionary for me.
Margot
Simplify Your Life is an excellent book on getting organized. The recommendations in it are accessible and easily and immediately applied to one's daily life. I found the examples and instructions much more concrete and applicable than in most other organization books.

As a warning, it is written with a religious slant but not overbearingly, so it's easy to skip over if you're not interested in that element.
Susan
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few years ago. One of those things I picked up in an airport and read on the plane. I actually refer back to it when I'm feeling particularly disorganized. It's laid out in a nice way and gives some interesting perspectives on simplifying. For some reason, it's strangely comforting to me.
Jackee
This book had many great tips to help women get and stay organized both at home, at work, and mentally. My favorite tip so far is building transitional, trigger activities into our lives. I'm going to use that to see if it helps me keep my brain living more in the present activity a little better (i.e. not bringing work home with me or home to work with me).
Deana Young
I liked this book on organzing. I am reading some of the books I have to declutter my house. This book has good simple ideas for organizing your home with a Christian backround and a prayer at the end of each chapter.
Robin
Began this book yesterday and am excited about the journey it will lead me on. It's set up like a workbook, which I think will be an effective format for me. Would love to know if anyone else is reading it or has read it recently!
Amy
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I am really enjoying this book. I am only on chapter 4, but already, I have learned things that I have not read in other organization books. I may update this if my opinion changes after rading the entire book.
Mary
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! There are lot of ideas for organizing and simplifying life. I already have a friend who's interested in reading this book now that I'm done. I highly suggest it for those people who like to keep an organized life.
Kara Peterson
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! I have picked up so many tips and am motivated to organize my life. The helpful hints are relatively simple to initiate and make so much sense. I recommend this to everyone!
Betty Price
Lots of great ideas and how to get things simple and mangeable.
Anne M.
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some ideas I haven't read before... and I have read A LOT of "simplify your life" books. She maintains a positive can-do attitude throughout that is contagious.
Kristy
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. A must read for the person who is unorganized like me. I am still working on the complete organization of everything, but with time I know I will one day be there!
Heather
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very informative book. I'm pretty organized and have a system somewhat. This helped me learn some new tips on how to better manage my time and doing projects and meals more effectively!
Ligia Stockwell
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very helpful it getting myself organized. I plan to use it as a reference tool for days/years to come!
Agent Smith
Oct 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a few good tips, but it was mostly just common sense things about managing time and keeping schedule.
Shelley Thompson
Great help for my piles of clutter. Use her tips daily in my life even still after several years. The book also comes in DVD as a class. I have done the class and loved it.
Ann
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK with GREAT Ideas for organizing!!
Lacresha
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm learning so much and I'm only a few chapters in. I highly recommend this book.
Erin
Elaine
Dec 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Organize Yourself!
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain  Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • The Organized Life: Secrets of an Expert Organizer
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • Living in the Land of Enough
  • The Minimalist Woman's Guide to Having It All
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • 50 Ways to Protect Your Identity in a Digital Age: New Financial Threats You Need to Know and How to Avoid Them
  • The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
  • The Ballad of Les Darcy
  • The Simple Life
  • Before the Knife: Memories of an African Childhood
  • You Are Not What You Weigh: End Your War With Food and Discover Your True Value
  • Modern Classics, Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits & Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies & Tarts
  • Buddhism for Beginners: A Complete Course on the Heart of the Buddha's Teachings