Start by marking “Irregular Creatures” as Want to Read:
Irregular Creatures

Irregular Creatures

Contained within are nine stories featuring bizarre beasties, mythological mutants, and overall “irregular creatures” – including flying cats, mermaids, Bigfoot, giant chickens, and mystic hobo hermaphrodites.

Horror, fantasy, science-fiction and humor.

The collection features the following nine tales:

DOG-MAN AND CAT-BIRD (A FLYING CAT STORY)

Joe’s got job woes and family pro
Published (first published January 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Irregular Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irregular Creatures

Trish
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This was indeed an odd little collection.
I will freely admit that I only bought it because of the cute winged cat on the cover. ;P

That cat, by the way, is the protagonist of the first and longest story. It was also my favourite. Closely followed by the one about the mermaid.

The author made it clear that he had a great sense of humour right at the start. Just look at the Acknowledgements if you don't believe me:

xD

Moreover, the author is also good at world-building which is probably why I loved th
Nikki
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Irregular Creatures is a collection of Chuck Wendig's short stories. Someone recently compared his work to Stephen King's, and I can see where they're coming from: there's something robustly readable about all of it, and the fantasy/horror aspects are all handled in a matter of fact sort of way. I can't remember how King handles narrators, at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to find similarities there.

I think someone also mentioned a sort of cheerful vulgarity, and there's that, too. Some
Eric Mesa
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first Chuck Wendig book. If I'm thinking of the right author, all I knew about him before going into this is that he apparently likes to use a lot of profanity in his books. This one had more than most, but not an obscene amount.

If I had to describe this book in just one sentence it'd be: Irregular Creatures is like a bunch of Twilight Zone episodes if Twilight Zone was rated R. That said, most of the stories were probably closer to PG-13. I'd watch a one-season HBO TV adaptation of
Amy
What can I say - I'm now an offical fangurl of Chuck Wendig's writing. Well, except some of his 'let's think about important writerly things' blog stuff which, when I try to read it, feels like salt flung at my flabby, slug brain. What I like is his twisted imagination, the way he punches you with his writing and dares you to flinch when he's drawing back for seconds (and thirds and fourths), and his every(wo)man characters.

As I've said a milliondybillion times before, I'm usually not a fan of t
Joseph OToole
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Warped. Fun. Twisted. Chuck Wendig is a wordsmith general (probably an 8 on the Gaiman Scale), and he presents nine stories of the weird and (sometimes) the macabre. At $2.99, it's pretty spectacular, and it's worth it just for the story Dog-Man and Cat-Bird. Not all the stories work as well, but that story is one of my favorites ever.

Highly recommended.
Julia V
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn't resist reading a book with a winged cat on the cover, and I'm usually a fan of Chuck's work so I gave this book a try. The format of the book was refreshing after reading a few lengthier novels, but this book almost feels like he released his writing journal. A lot of these read as ideas of a story rather than a fleshed out concept. Regardless I do not regret picking up this book.

The first story was really great and I loved it... the rest seemed like he threw them together so he could
Albert Berg
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time I went to a local bookstore and the guy behind the counter asked me what kind of books I liked to read.

I said, "Weird ones, mostly."

He got the strangest look on his face. I'm sure he'd been expecting me to say, Mystery or Horror or some other easily defined genre. At last he said, "Well we've got some Steven King stuff over there."

I'm not sure why "weird" isn't a genre by now. If I was running a book store it would have a section labeled "Weird Stuff," You'd go over there and fi
A.M.
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to A.M. by: Jan
Chuck Wendig’s Irregular Creatures is yet another feather in the short story collection cap, featuring nine speculative fiction tales that will shock, amuse, bewilder and entertain. In the author’s own words, the stories "drunkenly swerve between fantasy, horror and science fiction — with a dash of humour and absurdity thrown in for good measure".

There are two factors every story in this collection share. Firstly, they each feature an irregular creature, whether a flying cat, alien, mermaid, dem
Daniel Swensen
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, indies
I had a blast reading Chuck's novella, Shotgun Gravy, which I finished in the space of one day. Like most of Wendig's material, it was very readable: full of inventive profanity, bizarre sensory details, and a cheerful, homespun vulgarity that reminds me a bit of early Stephen King.

Irregular Creatures has all those elements, but I found it a little uneven. The book features nine short stories. Of those, four are quite good, three are mildly inexplicable, and two seem downright pointless. When We
Dane
These stories were, largely, engaging, engrossing, and appealing even despite (or maybe because of?) the more grotesque elements. Some of the stories (I'm looking at you, Product Placement and Mister Mhu's ***** Show) inspired a physical reaction, though I'm not going to detail the specifics; suffice to say I don't recommend eating candy while reading Product Placement. Others evoked more emotional reactions, like the first story in the anthology, Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story). This ...more
Asiya
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This review orders the short stories according to favourite to least favourite-

1. Product Placement: this story was so relevant and highly personified. Quirkest.
2. The Auction: sweet, twisty, unique af.
3. Dog-Man and Cat-Bird: has relations with but not as paranormal as The Auction.
4. Do-Overs and Take-Backs: No narrative sequence but interesting.
5. Beware of Owners: a reflection of a selfish life, I enjoyed it.
6. This Guy: A downward spiral. Violence trigger but not shocking enough.
7. Mister M
Mark
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Guy Gonzalez
This is a wonderful collection of stories that scratch all sorts of itches. There are repeated images and themes, and it all opens a door into an incredibly distinctive world. Wendig has a unique voice, and I am looking forward to reading more.

I hate comparing authors, but he definitely reminds me of a certain subgenre of Weird Fiction that at its best hits the emotional notes of a Raymond Carver while using zombies and flying cats. This isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy writers like Howard
Sue Jaffarian
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are easily offended or squeamish or do not like fantasy, sci-fi or horror, you might want to take a pass on this book. But, and this is a big BUT, if you don’t fall into any of the above categories DEFINITELY check out Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig. Irregular Creatures is a collection of creepy and original short stories reminiscent of the old TV shows Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. It will give you the willies and sometimes even disgust you, but at all times you will be entertaine ...more
Rosalind M
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My favorite story in this collection was the shortest one, "Lethe and Mnemosyne", not for the story it told but for the story it only HINTED at. I did skip the last story, and a couple of them went over my head completely. Overall, though, reading this collection left me feeling like I had attended a modern freakshow and had been given a glimpse at the arcane reality that lay beneath the geeks' performances.
Albert Yates
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a fun little book of stories. I have to say that some of these tales, especially the first and the last really surprised me with his engrossed I got with the characters and the story.

I really like his style of writing and found it was funny in all of the right places.
Priya
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read something I could read in a day, and it had to be something imaginative. I looked up a couple of fantasy series, but nothing seemed to click, and then I just remembered this little collection I had bought a couple of years ago. The reason I had bought it was that I used to follow Chuck Wendig's blog fairly regularly back then, but also because of blue of the cover and the cat on the cover. I haven't looked at the blog in a while and just didn't remember his writing style at all. ...more
Paul LeBLanc
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Straight forward

There are some good stories to be had here, even if on several occasions I found myself looking at a confusing paragraph structure, or something that felt written backwards.
But don't let that stop you, CW is a workman like writer, and there is someone to learn from the way he does what he does.
And then of course there are the stories.
Jaka Kun
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Este libro es una colección de historias breves. Breves y bizarras, pero bastante entretenidas. Me gustó la combinación de seres oscuros y malévolos que se mezclan con las actitudes humanas como el miedo, la curiosidad y el egoísmo.

Es un libro muy corto que se lee rápido y que no falla en tenerlo a uno prendado de las historias.
Matevž
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice collection of (weird) creature short stories. Some are interesting, some are shocking. Was interesting to read, but nothing special.
Janice
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, kindle
Here's a book of short stories from Chuck Wendig.

They're a pretty mixed bag, from demon cats to a startling role reversal between two very different characters. Some I likes, some seemed more like ideas for a short story.

Perfectly cromulent stories, mostly.
Saretta
Storie di varia lunghezza tutte alle prese con "Irregular creatures", ovvero elementi strani e spesso indesiderabili come gatti volanti, demoni, alieni o semplicemente psicopatici.
Mi piace molto lo stile dell'autore, prossimamente passerò ai romanzi.

Dog-man and Cat-Bird ★★★★
Una situazione familiare critica: lui dorme sul divano, lei costretta a essere severa avendo un marito che sembra un bambino e un figlio.
Lui, amante dei cani, si trova a accudire un gatto decisamente particolare a cui possono
T.L. Bodine
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I've been a long-time reader of Chuck Wendig's blog, but this is the first of his fiction I've had the chance to read. I found the book enjoyable, but often underwhelming. Some of the stories are much better than others, and one or two really stood out, but the collection was overall not particularly memorable. The greatest failing is the lack of depth and variety in the characters: Every narrator seemed to be a different iteration of the same person, and they all sounded suspiciously like the a ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Irregular Creatures is a collection of nine short stories. I had been expecting a collection full of grim noir, but this was not the case. This was a collection of deceptively simple fantastic and weird stories; a few of them made me jealous with the offhand way he seemed to succeed with them. A couple of them fell a little flat but were not without merit--obscure b-side stories to supplement the hitmakers among them.

Overall, I would have to say that the stories were more Gaimanesque than anythi
Christopher Gronlund
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm very particular in the fiction I like. I like writers who take chances, writers who don't always write the same thing over and over. Irregular Creatures is a fitting name for Wendig's collection because the stories contained within cross genres, mash up genres, and defy genres.

I'm not alone in loving the first story, "Dog Man and Cat Bird." It's a great example of how Wendig approaches genres: it's definitely genre fiction, but what makes the story so wonderful are the same things that make
Andrew
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Irregular Creatures is a collection of short stories from self described freelance pen monkey Chuck Wendig. Each of the stories features a different strange creature, including (but not limited to) flying cats, mermaids, aliens and radioactive monkeys.

You heard me.

My favorite was the first story Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story). It’s an excellent example of balancing the weird (flying cats, flying cat demons) with very human, very relatable characters and Wendig handles it perfectly. I
Mick
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Irregular Creatures, published as an ebook by author Chuck Wendig, is a collection of nine short stories in the horror or science fiction genres and linked very loosely by the subject of - as the title says - irregular creatures. In here there are winged house-cats, freakshows, extradimensional aliens, radioactive monkeys, and stranger (or more grotesque) beasts.

The stories vary greatly in tone and length but all manage stand on their own and have something unique to say. Being the work of Chuc
Chris Rhatigan
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
f you've been thinking your reading material is too normal, check out Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig. This nine-story collection is full of widely imaginative premises, very real characters, and a lot of heart.

Also, this is some weird shit.

Like Dog Man and Cat Bird (A Flying Cat Story). The title kind of says it all. But it doesn't really so you should read the story. Maybe my favorite in the collection, it's the tale of how a suburban dad gets his groove back through one airborne feline.

Of
Heather
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
More than most books, whether you're likely to enjoy Irregular Creatures is highly dependent on how you take the writing style. The sex and gore felt appropriate to the stories rather than tacked-on for its own sake, but they're also perfectly in-your-face and unapologetic. The language is frank and salty, which again is appropriate to the characters, but not everyone will want to read it. I did, however, have a hard time with the animal abuse in "Beware of Owner"---enough of it happens in real ...more
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of short stories connected by the common theme of, you guessed it, irregular creatures. When browsing for a new Chuck Wendig read, I was struck by the cover and couldn’t pass up the book.

The stories are all well written and, for the most part, intriguing and enjoyable. The tone of the stories and the way Chuck tells them reminded me of Stephen King, and I’m sure I spotted a subtle nod to Hellraiser in one of the stories. Most are bizarre, some are amusing, and I’ll rea
Peri
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook
  • An Audacious Alphabet
  • Unfallen
  • It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction
  • Streets of Shadows
  • Working Stiff (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #5)
  • Father of Lies
  • Steampunk World
  • The Drought
  • Plow the Bones
  • The Ink Readers of Doi Saket
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th