Start by marking “Merciless” as Want to Read:
Merciless

Merciless

(Alexandria Novels #2)

No Pity

Each skeleton is flawless--gleaming white and perfectly preserved, a testament to his skill. Every scrap of flesh has been removed to reveal the glistening bone beneath. And the collection is growing. . .

No Compassion

When bleached human bones are identified as belonging to a former patient of Dr. James Dixon, Detective Malcolm Kier suspects the worst. Dixon was rec
Published February 1st 2011 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Merciless, please sign up.
Sarah Stevens Not necessary, but it does help you to get to know the characters & back story.…moreNot necessary, but it does help you to get to know the characters & back story.(less)

Start your review of Merciless
Linda Strong
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a re-read for me. It's been over a year since I read it, but I kept it on my shelves knowing I wanted to read it again sometime.

Merciless is the sequel to SENSELESS and is the story of Angie Carlson and Detective Malcolm Kier.
Young women are disappearing and they happen to be clients of Angie, who is a defense attorney. The bodies are found a few days later .. well, actually, it's only their bones that are found, usually artfully arranged in very public places.

Angie and Malcolm are no st
CD {Boulder Blvd}
A great follow up to Senseless and definitely if you read the first book, you need to read this one.

Although not in the series, Before She Dies picks up with some of the same characters (which I really liked) and recommend reading it after this one.
Hope Frost
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't seem to get enough of Mary Burton. Her books are so thrilling and you really have to pay attention to put the clues together. This book was no different. I loved it, and I was shocked at the bad guy (which I like). So many twists and turns, lots of great action and a couple you can't help but want to see end together.
Jenny
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merciless is book two in the Senseless series by Mary Burton. In Alexandria, Virginia young women's bones are turning up all over town. Detective Malcolm Kier and his partner Deacon Garrison caught the case and their prime suspect is Dr James Dixon due to the latest victim was one of his patients and his acquittal of attempted murder of a young girl. Angie Carlson, still haunted by her defending Dr James Dixon and for this reason, she took on LuLu Swift who wanted her son back and the victim tha ...more
Jane Stewart
Complicated spider web of mystery lacking some logic. Not much romance. Smart heroine was stupid for no good reason.

STORY BRIEF:
Defense attorney Angie is known as The Barracuda by cops. Dixon was guilty of brutalizing and beating prostitutes. He hired Angie to defend him and she got him off. Dixon formed a partnership with The Other. The Other would kidnap a victim while Dixon had an alibi. Then Dixon would rape and beat the victim. When Dixon was done, The Other would kill them, strip their bon
Colleen
Okay, I can pretty much cut and paste my review for the first book, Senseless, and put it here. Same thoughts on this one. Great suspense, but needed more romance. There were also a few typos in this one that just bothered me (for instance in one scene where Angie was resting after a swim, in one sentence it states she removes her goggles from her head, places them on the side of the pool and then two sentences later it states she pushed her goggles up on top of he head) - that stuff just bother ...more
Simon
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry not my cup of tea (being English of course) I do enjoy thrillers and crime but this by Mary Burton is a tad dull and too fluffy for my tastes; I would of prefered more story rather than relationship and more crime solving.
To others I know that they will enjoy it especially if you enjoy Karen Rose, Nicki French.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
The saying “Never make a deal with a scorpion, it will sting you every time” proves to be very true for Angie Carlson. “First One” and “Other” target Angie for their diabolical scheme. They are merciless--a terrifying pair.

Angie, called the barracuda by some because of her tactics as a defense lawyer, pulls out all the stops to get her clients cleared of all charges. The idealism of her youth has faded but her dedication to her clients holds strong. However, she comes to question her wisdom in
Joanna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILER ALERT***
Another fantastic book by Mary!!! I never saw the twist coming that Micah was the one killed in the fire! loved the suspense and the twists and turns along the way. Also, couldn't be happier about Angier and Malcolm, they deserve to be happy with each other. Great book if your looking for something that will hold your attention right to the end... and that's nearly impossible to put down.
Janine
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A definite 'read in the bath' book. Not particularly taxing, formulaic and if you drop it in the water you won't really mind. I eyerolled so hard at the conclusion. Read this book if you don't want to think.
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of those Hate turns to sudden lust type books that don't make much sense if you look at them with any sort of logic.

Malcolm spends the first 26% of the book flat out hating Angie because she got a murderer off by tearing apart a questionable witness on the stand. People started calling her the Barracuda. He calls he things like a Child of the Night (vampire reference) and all sorts of other things, to her face. She takes it all and tolerates him mostly because of her sister,
Lee
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ishika Patel
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't realised this was book 2 in a series but I don't believe it mattered at all unless you really want to read it all from the absolute beginning and in order. It could easily be read as a standalone book given the amount of detail about the previous story and I had no idea throughout that it was actually a book 1 story, until I went to post my review.

I found the book full of twists and turns and every time I thought I knew who the killer was ...well I just didn't! The characters developed
Jovdb
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn’t realized this was a sequel and wondered, most of the way through, why there were so many references to previous incidents! My excuse is: I was reading this one late at night, only book available from the online library! Oh well.

I enjoyed the plot line. It kept me awake and engaged but I did figure out who done it early on.

A little romance, a little mystery, interesting characters and some “Ah!” factors.

All in all a good read. I shall have to go back and read the first one!

I agree with ot
Nancy Silk
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Very Scary, Thriller Novel"

This is another amazing story by a very prolific author. In this insane killer novel, the killer makes sure each and every skeleton is all white perfectly preserved. He has no compassion, and Detective Malcolm Kier is determined to find the killer ... but there is also fear that Angie Carlson will be a future target. Readers just can't put this story down or any others by Mary Burton. They are all so very well written and captivating. Highly recommend.
Black Butterfly
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
5++*stars REALLY!
ANGIE AND HER SISTER HAVE SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES, EVA ADDS A REAL BIGGY AROUND 44%. THIS BOOK HAD ME TALKIN’ OUT LOUD TO THE CHARACTERS IN DIFFERENT SCENES. A LITTLE PREDICTABLE BUT NOT IN A BAD WAY LOVED THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORYLINE. INTENSE! DOUBLE CROSS?? ;D
Lindsey
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Mary Burton is beginning to be one of my favorite authors! This is the 2nd book of hers that I've read and it was so such a great read. It had me guessing and even yelling, "yeah" at one point. This book had very little slow parts. It started from the Prologue and you just want to keep reading!
Ryan Magoon
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! I loved that some chapters were from the bad guys point of view I only wished those were longer. It kept me guessing I couldn’t figure out who the bad guys were on my own. Some parts were very scared and some parts really rugged at my heart strings. It has a great ending. I’ll most likely read more books by this author.
Reba Love
Predictable from the beginning

Burton does a good job with her.characters but I findi he sequencing diseasesdconcerting. I read the first book in this series and from page one knew who the.other was.
Barb
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fav-action
Great follow-up to Senseless---many of the same characters pulled into this novel. The story continues w/ more twists and unexpected details revealed about the characters and their motivations. Once again Mary Burton delivers a hard to predict and enjoyable suspense novel.
Teri
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying Burton's novels. I am reading them in order and I especially like that she uses all the same characters but each book features two different ones with the others appearing briefly. Great mystery/serial killer novels.
Maureen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I’ve read any of Mary Burtons books and this one was interesting...I like Malcom the cop, Angie, the attorney, Eva her sister...this story covered sadistic killers preying on vulnerable young women...didn’t get too gruesome, just enough details to keep things interesting ...
Alison  Boniface
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to put down

Excellent follow on from senseless. This book had me gripped right away and didn't let go till the very end. Another excellent book by Mary Burton she never fails to thrill and keep you guessing right to the end.
Mrs J Parris
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addictive read

Really like the style of writing. Loved the characters and plot line. A very addictive read. A must read for crime addicts
Nessa
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, but then anything by this author usually is. Was gripped from start to finish. Loved it.
Penelope
Alisha
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.85 graphic, suspenseful, thriller
Susan J. Anderson
Excellent writing and non-stop twists. .Loved this book and this writer, her imagination is boundless. Can't wait to read her next books! I don't want to give spoilers, so I will end my review here.
Nicky Mottram
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Good read, enjoying reading books by this author
Pamela Hanna
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was an interesting who done it book had u guessing most the way or for some to the end..had a good ending...now need to read the first book
« previous 1 3 next »

• After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • As Good as Dead (Cherokee Pointe Trilogy #3; Griffin Powell #4)
  • Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1)
  • The Last to Die (Cherokee Pointe Trilogy #2; Griffin Powell #3)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • The Fifth Victim (Cherokee Pointe Trilogy #1; Griffin Powell #2)
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • The Babysitter
  • Cold Wicked Lies (Cold Justice: Crossfire #3)
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn #8)
  • Into the Dark (Cincinnati, #5; Romantic Suspense, #23)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Don't Say a Word (Don't Cry, #2)
  • Wind Chill (Stormwatch #3)
  • Her Broken Wings (Detectives Kane and Alton, #8)
  • Hidden (The Texas Murder Files #1)
  • Dead by Midnight (Dead by Trilogy #1; Griffin Powell #11)

Mary Burton, whose latest novel is Hide and Seek, loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedure, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. Library Journal has compared her work to that of Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner

Alexandria Novels (3 books)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Before She Dies