Start by marking “Merciless” as Want to Read:
Merciless

Merciless

(Alexandria Novels #2)

No Pity

Each skeleton is flawless--gleaming white and perfectly preserved, a testament to his skill. Every scrap of flesh has been removed to reveal the glistening bone beneath. And the collection is growing. . .

No Compassion

When bleached human bones are identified as belonging to a former patient of Dr. James Dixon, Detective Malcolm Kier suspects the worst. Dixon was rec
Published February 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2011)

Linda Strong
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a re-read for me. It's been over a year since I read it, but I kept it on my shelves knowing I wanted to read it again sometime.

Merciless is the sequel to SENSELESS and is the story of Angie Carlson and Detective Malcolm Kier.
Young women are disappearing and they happen to be clients of Angie, who is a defense attorney. The bodies are found a few days later .. well, actually, it's only their bones that are found, usually artfully arranged in very public places.

Angie and Malcolm are no st
CD {Boulder Blvd}
A great follow up to Senseless and definitely if you read the first book, you need to read this one.

Although not in the series, Before She Dies picks up with some of the same characters (which I really liked) and recommend reading it after this one.
Hope Frost
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't seem to get enough of Mary Burton. Her books are so thrilling and you really have to pay attention to put the clues together. This book was no different. I loved it, and I was shocked at the bad guy (which I like). So many twists and turns, lots of great action and a couple you can't help but want to see end together.
Jane Stewart
Complicated spider web of mystery lacking some logic. Not much romance. Smart heroine was stupid for no good reason.

STORY BRIEF:
Defense attorney Angie is known as The Barracuda by cops. Dixon was guilty of brutalizing and beating prostitutes. He hired Angie to defend him and she got him off. Dixon formed a partnership with The Other. The Other would kidnap a victim while Dixon had an alibi. Then Dixon would rape and beat the victim. When Dixon was done, The Other would kill them, strip their bon
Colleen
Okay, I can pretty much cut and paste my review for the first book, Senseless, and put it here. Same thoughts on this one. Great suspense, but needed more romance. There were also a few typos in this one that just bothered me (for instance in one scene where Angie was resting after a swim, in one sentence it states she removes her goggles from her head, places them on the side of the pool and then two sentences later it states she pushed her goggles up on top of he head) - that stuff just bother ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
The saying “Never make a deal with a scorpion, it will sting you every time” proves to be very true for Angie Carlson. “First One” and “Other” target Angie for their diabolical scheme. They are merciless--a terrifying pair.

Angie, called the barracuda by some because of her tactics as a defense lawyer, pulls out all the stops to get her clients cleared of all charges. The idealism of her youth has faded but her dedication to her clients holds strong. However, she comes to question her wisdom in
Joanna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILER ALERT***
Another fantastic book by Mary!!! I never saw the twist coming that Micah was the one killed in the fire! loved the suspense and the twists and turns along the way. Also, couldn't be happier about Angier and Malcolm, they deserve to be happy with each other. Great book if your looking for something that will hold your attention right to the end... and that's nearly impossible to put down.
Simon
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry not my cup of tea (being English of course) I do enjoy thrillers and crime but this by Mary Burton is a tad dull and too fluffy for my tastes; I would of prefered more story rather than relationship and more crime solving.
To others I know that they will enjoy it especially if you enjoy Karen Rose, Nicki French.
Janine
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A definite 'read in the bath' book. Not particularly taxing, formulaic and if you drop it in the water you won't really mind. I eyerolled so hard at the conclusion. Read this book if you don't want to think.
Ishika Patel
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't realised this was book 2 in a series but I don't believe it mattered at all unless you really want to read it all from the absolute beginning and in order. It could easily be read as a standalone book given the amount of detail about the previous story and I had no idea throughout that it was actually a book 1 story, until I went to post my review.

I found the book full of twists and turns and every time I thought I knew who the killer was ...well I just didn't! The characters developed
Jovdb
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn’t realized this was a sequel and wondered, most of the way through, why there were so many references to previous incidents! My excuse is: I was reading this one late at night, only book available from the online library! Oh well.

I enjoyed the plot line. It kept me awake and engaged but I did figure out who done it early on.

A little romance, a little mystery, interesting characters and some “Ah!” factors.

All in all a good read. I shall have to go back and read the first one!

I agree with ot
Black Butterfly
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
5++*stars REALLY!
ANGIE AND HER SISTER HAVE SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES, EVA ADDS A REAL BIGGY AROUND 44%. THIS BOOK HAD ME TALKIN’ OUT LOUD TO THE CHARACTERS IN DIFFERENT SCENES. A LITTLE PREDICTABLE BUT NOT IN A BAD WAY LOVED THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORYLINE. INTENSE! DOUBLE CROSS?? ;D
Barb
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up to Senseless---many of the same characters pulled into this novel. The story continues w/ more twists and unexpected details revealed about the characters and their motivations. Once again Mary Burton delivers a hard to predict and enjoyable suspense novel.
Teri
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying Burton's novels. I am reading them in order and I especially like that she uses all the same characters but each book features two different ones with the others appearing briefly. Great mystery/serial killer novels.
Reba Love
Predictable from the beginning

Burton does a good job with her.characters but I findi he sequencing diseasesdconcerting. I read the first book in this series and from page one knew who the.other was.
Nessa
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, but then anything by this author usually is. Was gripped from start to finish. Loved it.
Penelope
Teresa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicky Mottram
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Good read, enjoying reading books by this author
Susan J. Anderson
Excellent writing and non-stop twists. .Loved this book and this writer, her imagination is boundless. Can't wait to read her next books! I don't want to give spoilers, so I will end my review here.
Mrs J Parris
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addictive read

Really like the style of writing. Loved the characters and plot line. A very addictive read. A must read for crime addicts
Alisha
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.85 graphic, suspenseful, thriller
Pamela Hanna
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was an interesting who done it book had u guessing most the way or for some to the end..had a good ending...now need to read the first book
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Favorite Quote: “She thought for a moment he would reject her. She wondered if she could bear the rejection.”

Eva Rayburn lost 10 years of her life when she was convicted of murder. But she has served her time and now just wants to get on with her life. But when the business she works for is set ablaze and a dead body is found; the crime scene is eerily reminiscent of the very crime Eva was incarcerated for. A crime Eva isn’t even sure
Sobia
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so At the very least, I'd rate merciless as a 3 star read, at the most a 3.5 one.  There's one issue I had, that makes it impossible for me to go any higher, but I'll get to that later...

First off, I'd classify Merciless as romantic SUSPENSE..the mystery was definitely the focus....there's still romance in the book, but not a regular romance novel amount in it...as far as sex scenes go, there is one, but its. Very short, and not graphic at all. And the romance, itself wasn't typical...in t
Lori
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
If it’s not bad enough finding a dead body, imagine how awful it would be to find a pile of bones, completely stripped of all skin, flesh and muscle, then bleached and piled neatly on a picnic table? A pair of sick and twisted killers is making their presence known in Alexandria. One of them hunts down a victim, has his perverted way with them, then leaves them for the Other to perform the ultimate kill, finishing with a ritual so sick it will leave even the veteran thriller-reader sick to their ...more
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Merciless comes after Senseless (Eva’s story), but follows Angie, Eva’s older sister.

When human bones are identified & turn out to belong to Angie’s client Dr. Dixon, Detective Kier suspects the worst. Dixon was acquitted of attempted murder & Det. Kier blames defence attorney Angie Carlson. The body count continues to rise, and it soon becomes clear Angie may be in danger.

I admit it, the bones freaked me right out to the point I had a nightmare. Imagine being the person to find bones, c
Karen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First one by this author, little 'wordy' at times when fewer words would have been better, but intrigued enough to read at least one more by her.
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merciless is the highly anticipated sequel to Senseless, which came out in January and I reviewed here on Minding Spot.

Angie Carlson, known as the Barracuda, for her no-nonsense defence lawyer tactics, is still feeling guilty for getting Dr. James Dixon off for allegedly raping a prostitute. Detective Malcolm Kier can't stand her for what she did; he knew Dr. Dixon was guilty.

But when bleached bones turn up on a picnic table, Detectives Kier and Garrison are on the case. The bones are bleached w
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)
  • Blood Stains (The Searchers, #1)
  • The First Victim
  • If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)
  • The Green-Eyed Doll
  • Inside (Bulletproof, #1)
  • One Deadly Sin
  • Cold Target

Mary Burton loves writing suspense, researching law enforcement and forensic procedures, morning walks, baking, books, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels.

Mary is routinely featured among the top ten writers in Amazon’s Author Rankings for romantic suspense. Her recent novel, Her Last Word, reached

Alexandria Novels (3 books)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Before She Dies