Start by marking “A Song for My Mother” as Want to Read:
A Song for My Mother

A Song for My Mother

In this charming novel, Kat Martin brings readers back to the town of Dreyerville for another compelling story of love, loss, hope, and second chances…

Years after running away with her boyfriend in her junior year of high school, Marly Hanson returns to Dreyerville at the request of her daughter, Katie, who has recently been treated for brain cancer. Katie has never met h
Published April 5th 2011 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about A Song for My Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Song for My Mother

Susie James
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Kat Martin's "A Song for My Mother" -- which I picked up from a swap paperback rack in the Carrollton, Miss., library awhile back -- proved to be a sweet change of pace, a simple, straightforward telling of the heroine's return to her hometown and a working through the unresolved issues from her childhood.
Sandy M
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
What a heartwarming story this is. It’s one of those stories that goes straight to your heart, not your libido, which it seems we’re so used to these days in our romance reading. A Song for My Mother is a tale of second chances, of forgiveness, of friendship, and, of course, of love - all in more ways than one.

Not wanting to return to her hometown after twelve years away, Marly sucks up the hurt and betrayal she suffered at the hands of her parents to make the trip to Dreyerville to introduce he
Michelle Boyer
This is a one star rating that has a purpose. Let me start by saying that I enjoyed this mini-read, because though short there is some depth within the story that is nice. I especially appreciated the theme of a woman returning to her smalltown home and rekindling a relationship with her mother, falling in love with the Sheriff next door, etc. All of this is fine and dandy. There is a side story about a widowed woman named Emily that I didn't think the story needed, but even that story is kind o ...more
Katy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Marly Hanson returns to her hometown after a 12 year absence, at the request of her daughter who has cancer. When Marly left at 16 years old, she vowed never to return. This novella address some hard questions: spousal abuse, cancer, roles of women as perceived by many, etc.

I would give the story a 3.5; I really have issues with a book that allows a partner to rationalize spousal abuse. But I do like how Marly realizes her mother, for all her faults, really did and still does love her.
Daisy Hart
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was deserved four stars because it was very well written although could've included more action. If there was more action it would deserve five stars.
Jeanne
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Insipid. No character development. Superficial. Bland. Trite. Cliche.
This is why I rarely read the romance genre.
MaggieReadsRom
Marilys “Marly” Hanson escaped Dreyerville, her hometown, 12 years ago determined never to look back or come back. Then her daughter escapes death and her only wish is to see the grandmother she's never met. Marly is a teacher and a single mom with a complicated and painful past, now dealing with a daughter recovering from brain cancer. Her return home sets in motion a bunch of events: a reunion with her mother seems less impossible and the possibility of love and romance emerges.

Reed Bennett is
Mardel
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Song For My Mother is about anger, holding grudges, and forgiveness. There are a few situations here that involve decision making, judgement, doubt and the need for forgiving.

The main character, Marly Hanson, moved away from home at an early age, escaping from a traumatic home life and a small town. She returns to her hometown only because her own daughter wants to meet her grandmother; unfortunately, the grandmother, Winnie, is the one person that Marly does not really want to see. Marly hasn
Bookaholics
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Song For My Mother by Kat Martin
Contemporary Romance – April 5th, 2011
4 stars

Although a short book this is a heartfelt and moving one. This book has it all: romance, endearing children and the never-ending love of a mother and her daughter.

Marly Hanson was smart and beautiful but her life at home was anything but picturesque. With a physically abusive father and a mother who never stood up to him, Marly had a secret life of shame and helplessness. As her home life deteriorated so did her gra
Romancing the Book
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Mary, reposted with permission

It is not always easy to forget the pain of the past but can true love help you forgive?

Marly Hanson has struggled to get where she has in life and never wanted to look back at the town she left. But when her daughter Katie wants to meet the grandmother she never met Marly agrees knowing this trip down memory land may have the ability to break her strong will. Katie is recovering from cancer and Marly will give her anything to make her happy even if it
Angie Fehl
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Book 2 of the Dreyerville series is A Song For My Mother, which I finished the afternoon of January 1st. This novella takes place the following Spring after The Christmas Clock and introduces the reader to more residents of Dreyerville while also giving updates on characters from Book 1. Much of the plot focuses on Marly Hanson. Marly was just a teenage girl when she decided to run away from Dreyerville, wanting to escape an ugly home life of abuse, constantly battling parents and her father's a ...more
Mary Gramlich
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A SONG FOR MY MOTHER written by Kat Martin
04/11 - Vanguard Press - Hardcover, 224 pages

Mary
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
A Song For My Mother by Kat Martin

While picking up my books on hold at the library, A Song For My Mother was being displayed on a shelf above my books. It’s a small book so I picked it up and read the book flap. Since it was a very short story I figured why not. It’s not one I would have read if not for being displayed, so I took it home. I try to expand the genres I read.

The story was about a mother’s love for her children. The mother in the story gets a chance to explain to her grown daughter
Laurie
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Marly is returning to her childhood home because her daughter, Katie, wants to meet her grandmother Winnie. It’s been twelve years, but Marly is still bitter and heartsick about the riff between her mother and herself.

Reed Bennett and his son live next door to Winnie. As Sherriff of the small community, it is his business to be nosey. When Marly and Katie arrive, a friendship quickly develops between the two children, and Reed finds his interest piqued by Marly, as well.

Winnie is delighted to me
Barbara
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Amy
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching story of life's heartbreaks and joys, a reminder that we should always look for and remember the good along with the bad, that we should accept and learn from our past but always look forward to the promise of the future. Martin seamlessly weaves the tales of Winnie and Marly with those of Reed and Emily, showing that we are all flawed, we all have baggage, and we all make mistakes. But she also shows that we all have strength and good and love to share, if only we will allow ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
This is a charming story that I read in a single session. The characters are remarkably well depicted, believable and likeable. I think the pacing is outstanding; I never lost interest and was kept fully engaged as the story evolved. I particularly like that Reed is a fairly straight-forward type of guy who deals ably with the prickly Marly. In many ways, he becomes as much of a bridge between Marly and Winnie as the darling, irrepressible Katie. This sweet, feel-good story will appeal to women ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Two wrongs don’t make it right. Sometimes, the only way to move forward is to face your past. Such was the situation for Marly Hanson.

Twelve years ago, Marly ran away from home, married the town bad boy, and moved to the city. Marly vowed never to go back to Dreyerville or speak to her parents again. Now, Marly was about to break that vow, for good reason, her ten year old daughter Katie wanted to meet her grandmother. With the year Katie had endured (brain cancer, surgery, chemotherapy), Marly
Allyson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-junior_12-13
It was a good story line, but I just didn't like the author's writing style. It seemed that she just said things in the simplest ways. And things that I thought that she could've let the reader figure out on their own she blatantly told. I read this story in two days (it is really short). I feel that she repeated herself a lot throughout the entire book.

I'm not sure that I would give the author another try. Maybe one of her longer books?
Denise
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book for all of us that have ever had a conflict with our mother. I went 6 months one time without speaking to my mother and we lived right next door to each other. Marly hasn't spoken to her mother in 12 years. Now her daughter, who has cancer, wants to meet her grandmother. Marly can't refuse her daughter so she visits her mother....won't say any more. You'll have to read the book to see what happens.
Kim
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, This is one amazing book. I just can't even find the words. Anyone who is on the outs with family needs to read this. Sometimes you just need know the other side of the story. A mother's choice caused heartache and pain for her daughter. It takes a child with cancer wanting to meet her grandmother to bring a mother and daughter back together.

Sometimes choices seem so black and white but they are not because there are still too many shades in the middle
Natalie
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
More a novella than novel (read it in 2 hours) it was something I would recommend for a spring day when you want a simple story to read with a glass of lemonade. Predictable and underdeveloped, but again, I would lump it in with the short story genre. Had potential had it been twice as long and the characters were allowed to progress in their stories.
Courtney
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fast read. I finished it in a few hours and really enjoyed it. Kat Martin is one of my favorite authors. This book teaches us that mothers are human. They might make mistakes or say the wrong thing, but they try their best and love us no matter what. I hope Kat will take us back to Dreyerville in another book soon! Overall, 3.5 stars.
Pamela
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice read for times when you are a bit low and in need of a story not without its conflicts, but a story that nevertheless leaves you turning the last page with a good feeling, that maybe right can triumph sometimes.
Keri
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book instantly. It couldn't have come at a better time for me personally. It was a wonderful spiritually, ambitious read. If your looking for an uplifting short (one day) read this is it!!! It really tells how strong us women are :)
Kathleen Schuller
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It is the first time I have read anything by Kat Martin. The novella form was a quick, light read and, although the author tackled some tough topics, she kept the mood positive and the story upbeat. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Cynthia Conley
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
The story was a good one, however I think it could have been a better story if Kat went into more details. It was a very short read but I would have loved to read more about her daughter's battle with cancer and more about Marly's childhood.
Marilyn Miles
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Kinda short. Ended sooner than I'd expected. Seemed longer because there were two samples of the author's other books in the back. Good story, though. Easy reading, happy ending romance. I'll read more by this author.
Bob
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A good read, as expected of Ms. Martin. More of a novella than a novel. Nothing complicated, just a nice story with a happy ending. Only dropped to 3 stars because of the lack of anything unexpected. I would still very much recommend the book.
Anastasia
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
I love this series. It's so simple in the message, and I love that. Reality, yet a happy ending. The opening up of the characters took sometime, but it ended pretty satisfactorily. Delightful.

I also really enjoyed the Author Q & A at the end! I can tell Mrs. Martin is a beautiful soul.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Outback Promise
  • Butterflies Wake (Butterflies #1)
  • The Road Leads Back (Stonehill #1)
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • Peace River (Rockland Ranch, #1)
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Waking Isabella
  • Coin Operated (Dirty Laundry, #1)
  • Novels & Stories 1950–1962: Player Piano / The Sirens of Titan / Mother Night / Stories
  • Lord Tyger
  • V-S Day: A Novel of Alternate History
  • After Hours: Tales from the Ur-Bar (Ur-Bar #1)
  • Topgun Days: Dogfighting, Cheating Death, and Hollywood Glory as One of America's Best Fighter Jocks
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)
  • Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)
  • A Tapestry of Dreams (Tales of Jernaeve, #1)
  • A Widow Redefined
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn, #2)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read