Start by marking “Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad Prequels)” as Want to Read:
Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad Prequels)

Polgara the Sorceress

(Belgariad Prequels)

She soars above a world of warriors, kings, and priests. The daughter of Belgarath and the shape-shifter Poledra, she has fought wars, plotted palace coups, and worked her powerful magic for three thousand years. Now, Polgara looks back at her magnificent life, in this fitting crown jewel to the saga that is the Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean cycles.

Her hair streaked wh
Published October 15th 1997 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Polgara the Sorceress, please sign up.
Katie I just listened to this on Audible because it happened to be 2-for-1, having never read anything by this author before. I loved it! I think, however, …moreI just listened to this on Audible because it happened to be 2-for-1, having never read anything by this author before. I loved it! I think, however, at times I kept thinking it would have been better if I'd read the Belgareth one first, as the narrator refers to it quite a lot! There's a big piece of the plot that I don't quite understand, and it almost fizzles out at the end, because I think the narrator assumes prior knowledge! That said, I still gave it four stars and I absolutely loved it, even though it's not at all the kind of thing I usually read. I usually struggle with anything over 400 pages. (less)

Start your review of Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad Prequels)
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Oh, Polgara. Ten books of characterization completely undercut in this explosion of sexist twaddle. Depressingly, I think it's a better book in a lot of ways than Belgarath the Sorcerer - the material is largely new (and entertaining) and, with the exception of the almost word-for-word repeat of the Vo Mimbre section, is paced fairly well. But it's got two big problems that I can't overlook.

The sexism. This is the Eddings' chance to expound at appalling length their various opinions about the ha
Shira Karp
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing companion to Belgarath the Sorcerer. Fills in all the blank spots. Would have been the perfect ending to the series had he just not opened up the speculations about who Wolf really is at the end, but I guess nothings perfect. Especially since there ain't no more Garion stories coming to clear that up. That upset me quite a bit. But other than that the book was excellent. When I first started reading the Belgariad I thought Polgara was extremely dry and I couldn't understand everyone's ...more
Charles
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Hey, remember all the cool stuff? It turns out the wolf did it all. Lolz.

Also, have you ever noticed that men and women are different?
Bettie
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read and re-read until it fell apart; even the thick rubber band didn't prevent the pages unglueing.
L
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent epic fantasy novel that is an absorbing read, which combines a complex plot with remarkable imagination.

David and Leigh Eddings have triumphed again with this spectacular novel, to add to your collection of original fantasy works by masterful writers. No one can compare within modern fantasy writing like Eddings, whose distinctive style and unique flair is second to none and which is at the top with all the greatest writers of this genre. Having delighted in his various series’ ‘
Sam
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great addition to the story told with Polgara's usual dry wit, cutting sarcasm and superb observations. This kind of follows/accompanies Belgarath the Sorcerer as some of the events overlap but instead of the calm laid back view of Belgarath we are treated to the more blunt to the point view of Polgara. Again it has the feel of fireside story telling, although since it is Pol it should be more of stove side story telling given her love of cooking and her need to feed people (I swear sh ...more
Lurple
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager I was pretty fond of David Edding's books, but they don't hold up well after time. Eddings has a way of writing the same story (sometimes with different names) over and over, and this book is no real exception.
Jade Kerrion
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Polgara the Sorceress" wraps up David Eddings's high fantasy series that started with the 5 books of the Belgariad, continued through the 5 books of the Mallorean, and "Belgarath the Sorceror." Eddings cleverly precludes complaints of inconsistencies between "Belgarath" and "Polgara" by having Polgara say that people remember things differently.

By the last book in the series, Eddings's easy style and insider jokes settles on readers like a comfortable and worn cloak. The characters welcome you
Deirdre
It's the story of her life up to Pawn of Prophecy by Polgara and mostly I liked the voice, except for the sexism and racism. You'd think that someone who had lived several lifetimes would have learned that there are a lot of things men and women have in common and that some women are different to others and not all women and not all [insert race here] are the same. Yes it's easy for someone who has lived a long time to become very ingrained in their thinking but she's done so much stuff and with ...more
Mir
Sep 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bloated biography of one of my least favorite of Edding's all-kinda-the-same characters. His women, especially, seem to all be cut from the same bitchy and bossy cloth. The strong point of this series was the adventure, not the characterization (nor the witty dialogue which Eddings seemed to imagine he was writing) so I see no need to read this unless you are a Belgariad completist.
Daisy Delfin

Pages:767
My rating: 5
Read other books by this author in the future: yes

I read this one in the hard cover book version and savored the book. I loved the Belgeriad and Mallorean series. And now the story how Polgara and her Twin was born and what happened from the birth until the book Pawn of prophecy and also some later is told from Polgara’s POV. And of course I loved this story too. I actually finally read it because of a reading challenge, where the this book covers the task to read a book abo
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 1998.

Polgara the Sorceress is the second prequel to the Belgariad and Malloreon series. The different author attribution of this and Belgarath the Sorcerer apparently reflects not a change in how David Eddings' books are written, but is more an overdue acknowledgement. The story of the world of Belgarath and his family now occupies twelve books, though the two prequels match in length any two of the others.

The first prequel tells a first person n
Maddy Lanslots
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5*

What a wonderful book!
It's taken me a while to pick it up, but after re-reading the BELGARIAD and MALLOREON series for the third (fourth?) time, I decided I wanted to read its two companion pieces as well. I started with POLGARA and... wow. It's been an incredible ride. I thought I wouldn't like this book as much as I do the original series, because it doesn't have all the characters I've come to know and love (aside from Polgara, Belgarath, and a handful of others). I found myself falling i
Adam Knight
Disliked. Loved the Belgariad. Loved the Mallorean. Suffered through "Belgarath the Sorcerer" despite it being the extended version of history we already knew. Having to go through it all onceagain in Polgara's tale was nigh on insufferable. As this book went along I began to find traces of the "smug voice" that has ruined Eddings' work past this realm for me.

For hardcore Eddings fans only.
Dayna
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So of the two prequel books, I definitely prefer the one from Polgara's viewpoint over Belgarath's. It may be because of the women's perspective thing, I don't know. That said, the usual standard rules concerning reading any Eddings work applies, perhaps even moreso because this book admittedly is just a retread of events that have already been written about, just from another character's POV. So don't read it for the plot, but for the dialogue.

Having gone through a recent re-read of Eddings' b
Brenda
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Belgariad Series and the Mallorean Series are hands down one of the best science fiction series ever written. These series along with the companion books, Belgarath and Polgara are must reads for any science fiction fans. The characters are extremely well developed. These start off slow, but they are well worth the reading. I have recommended these series to at least 30 different people and not one of them have not come away being a die hard fan. My daughters have even recruited their friend ...more
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's nice to see things from Polgara's perspective, but a lot of what I was most interested in was skipped over. There are also some inconsistencies from the earlier texts (which is only natural, over so much time).

I have to admit I was also a little bothered by some of the double standards about chastity and sexuality, when comparing what Belgarath got up to, and what Polgara was forbidden to do.
Rebecca
Fun read, made me want to re-read the Belgariad and Mallorean. Read them 15 years ago and enjoyed them at the time but it was long enough ago that I didn't clearly remember a lot that was referred to in this book. I like Eddings' fantasy because the characters are fun and interesting, exciting storyline, the good guys win, and they deal with adult themes but are clean reads.
Amadee Tous
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love David Eddings, Polgara is simply annoying. I've tried to accept her and having read her story I think I understand her a little better, but she continues to appear impossibly arrogant. This is still an excellent read even though I have very little sympathy with the so called heroine, because Eddings is just a brilliant story teller.
Rebecca
This book held my interest more than Belgarath the Sorcerer, but again was marred by inconsistencies. The character interactions are unfortunately quite repetitive and the characterisation of women is not very nuanced. On reflection, I probably shouldn't have tried to re-read of ALL of the Belgariad world books haha.
Pete Mcgarel
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting to see the other point of view after reading Belgarath's view but if you haven't read the other books by David Eddings, it may not make much sense. If yiou have read them, its a great add on and fills in some details about the history of the place.
Aaron Anderson
Fun to read about Polgara. But not THAT fun.
Lacey
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, scifi-fantasy
The book was enjoyable as a teenager. It isn't quite so enjoyable as an adult.
Teal Nesmith
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is where you type your review. It should be 5+ sentences and contain the necessary elements. Do a good job. Other people can read these.
Magnus
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mind-numbingly dull. Unsympathetic main character. Poorly written. Tries to be funny but fails. 400 pages too long. Fixated on race and gender. Lessens the original books.
Angela
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings is the amazing companion book to Belgraith the Sorcerer. Another epic fantasy from the clever imagination of Mr. Eddings this story is well worth the read for any fantasy lover.
We met Polgara back in The Belgariad Series, and I have to admit that at first I really didn’t like her much at all. But slowly , over time, I began to understand her more and by the end of that series I didn’t think she was as annoying as I had first thought.
In this book we
 ☆Ruth☆
It's a few years since I read the Belgariad, so I didn't immediately identify with the characters and it did take me a little while to become involved in the story.
Overall the characters are engaging although I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with Polgara.
The thing that really lets the book down is the over-complication of politics and of places. Even though I have some previous background knowledge of this epic, I just had to give up trying to sort out all the empires, kingdoms, princip
Debb
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read the final, 12th book in the Belgariad by David and Leigh Eddings and it was a little emotional when putting down the book for the last time just now.

I don't care if the writing is simplified and was probably what would be called Young Adult now, I love these books and am so glad to have revisited them.
James
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

It's a wonderful ending to the series, and a reminder of sacrifices made to bring about the changes we need in the world.
Stacey
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the story of these books so much. I love the world that it is set in; it is so well developed (even if it is a bit static, no culture stays the same for 7000 years) and I appreciated getting Polgara's adventures that rounded out Belgarath's. I enjoyed all the time spend in Arendia & Sendaria, her run ins with various Salmissra's & Tolnedran emporers and all the time she spent raising generations of Rivan heirs.
I do not enjoy her, and her mother's, rampant misandry. Men are all little b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Nerd Herd: Polgara the Sorceress 1 10 Feb 22, 2014 01:59PM

• Talon of the Silver Hawk (Conclave of Shadows, #1)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #3)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Pib's Dragon (Twisted Fairy Tales)
  • The Fairy's Assistant
  • A Delicate Game
  • The Ambassadors
  • Playing with Shadows
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings , was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he a

Belgariad Prequels (2 books)
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer